Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• Thanks to all who helped. I also found info on the 7 yr/100,000 mile coverage on the www.consumeraffairs.com site. The dealer who originally sold us the car (and who continues to do business with the extended family) has been very responsive. Maybe Ford is finally trying to change its reputation.
  • shank6shank6 Posts: 64
    I hope you guys have better luck than me. Last week the door ajar symbol on the dash came on, and stayed on all day. Took the dome light bulb out ( fried my finger ) and it went off the next day and hasn't come back since. Two days after that, the service engine soon light comes on. I did all the recommended things in the manual(added some dry gas, filled the tank, made sure the gas cap was on tight)and it stayed on for the day, never to return after the next days start up.

Now, I just jumped in the car to grab the paper and coffee,put it in reverse and it just about made it out of the driveway. At Dunkin Donuts there are two Tauruses in the parking lot. A 97 purchased used and a 99 purchased new. Both owners state no problems of any sort like the ones I've had. I guess I'm just lucky.
  • Thanks Minnesota Art for the detailed info on the grease on the adjustable pedals problem.

So, shank6 fixed his service light I/ gas fill, but I have a nearly full tank and checking the gas cap, it doesn't seem to fit so tight as to prevent air from passing by the threads when turned fully in, so what else could be causing emission light on at 9000 miles? Perhaps it is related to the greasy ad. pedal problem also?

Will be taking the car in Monday, I hope if the dealer is not too busy, and see what happens, besides wasting my time. I have been enjoying the car, but gas mileage goes under 20 when averaging 70 plus a few quick accelerations instead of gingerly doing 65. I get 25mpg if taking it real easy or with the wind at my back.
  • vince4vince4 Posts: 1,272
    I just installed a CD changer in my 2000 SE. I bought the parts from www.crutchfield.com.

Kenwood KDC-C717 10 disc changer $200
    PIE FRDR/PC-KNW protocol adapter $80

It all worked great and was very easy to install. The adapter comes with all the connectors/cables needed and just plugged into the Rear Control Unit in the trunk. They don't tell you, but I had to remove the factory cable from the right-most connector of the RCU. The factory head unit controls the changer perfectly.

I mounted the changer vertically, on the left side of the trunk. I didn't want it below the rear deck because it blocks access for large objects and is potentially in harms way.
  • TSchrammTSchramm Posts: 106
    I own a '99 BMW 528 and a '01 Honda Odyssey, but received a '01 Taurus SES as a company car about 4 months ago.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the Taurus drives and handles, and especially by the excellent gas mileage, averaging 20 mpg.

It has the base V6, which is adequate, if a little noisy, I can only imagine that the upgraded V6 would be very satisfactory.

Considering the size, handling and price, I would definitely consider a Taurus should I need to purchase another family sedan. Even my neighbor, who's on his third Accord, remarked that he was more comfortable sitting in the Taurus, and was even more impressed by the relativiley low price compared to his V6 Accord..

While depreciation and long-term quality are legitimate issues, the low cost of entry and great driveability of the Taurus makes it a worthy competitior, IMO.
  • shank6shank6 Posts: 64
    We purchased a 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium, and I can't say enough good about our choice. As stated in my previous posts, the car is fully equipped and the ride quality is so much better. I know they're built on the same platform, but the Merc is a better handling, quieter riding,and better looking car in my opinion. If I can get the right deal in September I'll probably go that route.
    I believe in Ford. Maybe we got the Taurus Alfred E. Neumann built.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    The Taurus drives quite nicely. The resale value is the biggest problem.
    It will be dificult to sell at a decent price when the classifieds are full of dozens of 1 and 2 year old fleet cars and prior-rentals at very low prices.
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    have the Vulcan. Those equipped with a Duratec oughta hold their value pretty well. Shouldn't they?

(does anyone say oughta anymore?)
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    The Duratec and extra options will add to the value. You will be able to sell for more than a fleet car, but not that much more. The resale value will be horrific no mater what.
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    Remember the old days when people bought cars and took care of them and drove them for years and years???

No wonder everyone is in debt all the time.... we keep our cars a long time (6-8 years) and so we buy what we want and take care of it and it takes care of us.

Who cares about resale value!
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Posts: 793
    There are VERY few cars that will hold their value. Remember the price gouging on the Prowler? Or the Viper? Look at them in the resale market. New cars are NOT an investment! As fdthird said, buy it and drive the wheels off of it! If you want a new car every couple of years, lease. IMHO, there are very few "reasonable" reasons to get a new model car. The few changes are usually styling modifications anyway, with very few safety or preformance upgrades. BMW's seem to have a higher resale, but the car is relatively the same for the past 10 years. The same with the 'Vette (up until the C5). If you can afford to buy a new car every couple of years, that's great. Just don't worry about the resale value. Again, I agree with fdthird. One reason most of us are in debt up to our collective eyelids is the "need" for the latest and greatest. Who says TV doesn't influence our decisions? I also feel this has helped drive the cost of a new car through the roof. Who woulda thunk of a SEVEN year car loan ?

Sorry for the rambling. This is just a "raw nerve" with me.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Posts: 318
    Hear hear to fdthird and ezaircon4jc.

Even many "collector cars" have only kept up with inflation. And that's just if you look at the purchase price, and don't consider maintenance. Don't get me wrong, I love cars, but the reasons aren't economic that's for sure!

Personally, I'm glad that so many people like to lease (i.e. perpetually in debt) or buy new cars and sell them "when they're tired to them". Because then the market for two year old cars IS flooded, and I can buy them for 30% off! Heh, heh, heh. ;-)
  • warranty replacements took all day (left it at 730am, picked up at 500pm. mostly the dealer took more than an hour to diagnose and replace the EGR pressure sensor to extinguish the Emissions (service engine?) dash light at 9K miles on this 2000 24v SE(L). I wonder if it can be caused by semihard acceleration on a not fully warmed up engine (when I first noticed the light on) possibly? What/why is a EGR psi sensor?

Brake light switch replacement on the adjustable pedals seems to have cured the ABS dash light problem, as pointed out by MinnesotaArt.

6 CD cartridge...Best Buy in Oxnard did not carry, but see that www.nexxon.com (for Aiwa MCDMG55 6 DISC CARTRIDGE $25, incl shipping) may be a source, versus dealer $75. Can anyone confirm?
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,674
    since I occasionally use "gotta", as supreme commander of starfleet command, I grant you permission to use "oughta", but you'd better send sincere apologies to every English teacher you ever had...:)
  • If you didn't already send those apologies to your English teachers, you kinda shoulda by now.
    Okay, but I was one of only a handful in my classes that actually received an A...

I think there might be a line to apologize...

at least there oughta be! ;>

and to stay on topic: any news on the next Taurus being RWD?
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    The rumor is that the 2004 Taurus will either use the FWD Volvo S80 platform or a stretched version of the 2003 Mazda 626 FWD platform. There are rumors of a RWD sedan, code named Fairlane, using the Lincoln LS platform to fill the gap between the 2004 Taurus (a slightly smaller car than the current version) and the Crown Victoria.
    I hope they go with the Volvo for their base.

But that doesn't seem like much of a gap, unless Ford plans to take the Vic up in price/size, which could happen; somewhere I read a rumor that the '02 Vic could be stretched 6".

But a Fairlane on a T-Bird/LS/S-Type platform sounds good. I'd like to see more RWD setups out there...
    I have an LS, and due to the expense of the chassis I doubt that Ford will use it for a "gap" filler type of car. The Mustang will get a modified version of the DEW98. There is supposed to be a "baby LS" on a shortened version of the LS, but the Fairlane name wasn't mentioned. It Don't forget, it is the same aluminum suspension as the Jag Type-S.
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    On that A you received in English - it seems like this year's spelling champion was from Minnesota. One of the words he had to spell was "oughta". (Kidding except for the part of the spelling champ being from MN)
    We b gud at spelan. Ritin 2...

so how does this used Sable look? (It was owned by my drafting boss's brother.)

I've decided against buying new, for now, so I can save for a few years and buy a house...

Of course I am open to donations. :)
    It looks pretty good from the pic. Did you check out Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book? My '96 LS has cloth and leather seats. Does it have the JBL stereo? The Duratec engine is VERY nice! Mine has been very reliable for the past 102k miles. Had to do a water pump and A/C compressor clutch, but that's about it. Other than routine maintenance. Have fun in your search.
    Dealer Retail according to KBB is $14,100; Edmunds says $13,500.

I don't know if it has the JBL; my boss thinks it has ABS and the automatic climate control (which the web page doesn't list).

I guess I just need to go for a test drive now...
    You would love the auto climate control. I set mine at 72 a few years ago and only touched it to defrost the front window!

I believe all LS' have ABS. Mine stops on a dime!

According to the values that you listed, it sounds like a good price. I figured on a "high" milage car the miles must be mostly freeway miles and therefore pretty easy miles.

Off the line the 6 isn't that potent. Once you get to about 3000 RPM's, hold on! The Duratec is most happy in the upper rev's. You can also shift manually to get better launch's.

Have fun!!!
    I took it out for about a 14 mile test drive on roads I drive every day. I found it comfortable, but I seemed to notice quite a bit of torque steer. (I've been driving RWD for 95% of my licensed life.)

You're right about the Duratec liking the upper RPMs (this one did); but I'd put 3-4k miles on my dad's '96 Taurus LX with a Duratec, and it was quick off the line. Rode a little smoother, too. But, that was 2 years ago. Could be my memory is fuzzy?

It's too bad; this Sable is mint, and the price is good, but I guess its not the one for me...

Thanks for all your help though!
    Unfortunatly, torque steer is a by-product of FWD. I must have gotten used to it as I didn't notice it much until I bought my Lincoln. I forgot how much fun and stable the RWD platform is! I don't think I could ever go back!
  • sxr2sxr2 Posts: 3
    Hi, We recently purchased a 2001 Taurus and it says to use 5-20 oil in it , doesnt that sound like it would be aliitle thin and offer no protection when the temps get really warm outside, Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on this subject. Thanks Greg
  • Soon, everyone will be recommending that oil. Ford is ahead of the curve in that 5W-20 is now standard on all 2001 Fords. As long as you follow the manufacturer's directions, it will be fine. The newer engines are designed with close tolerances so they don't need as thick of an oil for full protection. It also increases gas mileage a littl bit. The tough part, for the do-it-yourselfer, is that 5W-20 is generally not available in stores yet - you need to have the change done at the dealer for now.
  • the warranty replacement of the brake light switch for the recall did not cure the ABS light intermittently coming on (seems to be on more so when the cabin temp is up after sitting in the sun). Must be some of the adjustable pedal grease got into the ABS system?
  • I heard on a different board that this is a very common problem and that it is a problem with the sensor switch (or something like that). It is replaceable under warranty. Have the dealer check it out.
This discussion has been closed.