Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• rover3500rover3500 Posts: 11
    Hello Everyone,

Well, I first strated off with a 1990 Taurus wagon as my first car. I loved it. I bought a 1 year old 1998 Turus SE in Aug of 99 and it has been nothing but problems. Rattles clunks... I can handle all of that (I am a brit car guy). What I can't handle is the transmission problems. It has been in the shop 6 times for the EXACT same symptoms. Just before coming to a complete stop the darn thing gives a jolt that is quite irritating. It does this even worse when the a/c is on. I gave up on the dealre where I bought it and have taken it to a new dealer. The worked on it about 2 weeks ago and the jolt is back. It is going back in on mon 4/30 for a second look. They have replaces the clutch cylinder, clutch bands, and the brain box. I know a bit about cars having restored a few, and have been able to relay to the service techs what I think may be the problem (possible torque converter bug). This has been an awful experience. So much so that I am trading in my beloved taurus for a Grand Prix in June. I still like Fords and all, but I think I need s change of pace.

Regards to all,
    Aaron
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    When you asked about a dealer being Blue Oval Certified a few days ago, I was wondering if you thought that was good or bad. I went to a dealership yesterday that was Blue Oval Certified and don't think I'll buy there. They didn't really come up with a competive price. I'm curious what "Blue Oval Certified" is supposed to mean exactly. Does it mean that Ford Company certifies them above others?
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    Blue Oval Certified

I don't think it's good or bad. When I asked woodge about his dealer, I kind of figured that it would be. But I wonder if his outcome would've been the same at a non-certified dealer...
    Thanks for the info. I also saw where to look up dealer inventory - something handy to know.
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    I didn't even see that! I'm glad Ford finally did this; no more GM Buypower for me...
  • Yup, I had the head gaskets go on my 3.8 around 77,000 miles. Had it fixed with non-Ford parts and it was running strong as ever when I sold it with 110,000 miles on it.

The reason I mentioned a blower is because I saw a picture of a Taurus 2001 concept car with a blower, dual exhausts, etc. Just can't remember where I saw it. :(
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    this is mere speculation for me, but is Blue Oval Certified the Ford equivalent of Chrysler's Five Star Dealer rating???...supposedly better service techs, yada yada yada, but if you read any Chrysler boards, they complain as much, or more, about the service they receive at 5 star dealers...most of the discussion will often revolve around the thought-provoking question...how did ### dealer EVER qualify for a 5 star rating??? you may be asking the same thing about ### Ford earning a Blue Oval...
  • a6chrisa6chris Posts: 15
    I'm looking at a 1999 Taurus SE with the Duratec 24V engine. They want $12,900 for it and it's got the remote entry, the better engine, a/c, power everything, and abs. Is this too much or too little? I had a 1993 Taurus GL with the 3.0L V6 and it was puny. It always seemed to be out of breath. We replaced the transmission on it at 45,000 miles and the power steering pump at 87,000 and the water pump at 100,000. Do the upper 90's models have any major quirks to be aware of? I've hard of the 96 models having transmission problems. Also, what is the Duratec motor like? Can you really feel the difference driving? I have yet to test drive it. I will be doing that on Monday. Any information would help.
    As far as buying goes, I've only been to one dealership that was Blue Oval Certified. They wouldn't even offer a competitive price. I wondered if it was because they were Blue Oval Certified and felt they didn't need to compete. I would never buy a car based on the service given by Blue Oval Certified. That's too much of a gamble. I'll go where the best deal is.
    I'm not sure since I haven't been out pricing Tauruses with the Duratec engine, but you may be able to get a pretty good deal on a new Taurus. With the slowing economy, it's a buyers market. I've been out shopping for an LX and the market may be entirely different for the Duratec engine
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    The only part of your post #869 I can comment on is about the Duratec. You will need to drive it of course but there is no comparison with the old 3 litre pushrod Vulcan engine. The duratec does not run out of breath like the Vulcan. After getting out of a Taurus with the Duratec and in to one with the Vulcan, you will swear that the emergency brake is on. Besides the extra power, it is smoother, sounds better, gets better mileage, and is just a more modern engine. You will not be sorry if you get the Duratec!!
  • I traded in a 1995 Taurus Wagon for a 2000 Taurus Wagon with the 3.0 L Vulcan FFV engine. The car was a "program" car with 10,000 miles on it. I've had the car about two months. What's been bugging me is the amount of road noise I get. It seems the car is as noisey at 75 as it is at 35. I have the Firestone tires. Any comments.
  • I have a 2000 Taurus Wagon with the Vulcan FFV engine. When I start this car it rev's to 2,000 RPM and then drops to around 800 RPM in about 40 seconds. I haven't had a car "rev up" on startup since my 75 Thunderbird. The dealer claims this is normal. Anyone out there have a similar experience.
    woodge had a FFV Vulcan engine that had problems with it but can't remember exactly what they were - it seems like it was pings in the engine. If you backtrack and look for his original post, it would say. I believe his original post was a couple of weeks ago.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Posts: 793
    That idle is normal for Ford's. It is Ford's way of heating the cat to keep emissions down.
  • woodgewoodge Posts: 11
    I'm the one whom had the 2000 SE with the FFV 3.0 (Vulcan Flex Fuel variant) that Ford made settlement on due to 14 months of consistent engine ping problems. Two weekends ago we picked up our 2001 SES (3.0 Vulcan, no FFV). Everything was just fine except the car did not have the standard 60/40 fold down rear seat. I complained to the dealer and they agreed to replace the rear seat. This past Saturday we dropped the car off at the dealer at 9:00 a.m. and it was ready by 2:00 p.m. with the new fold down seat. The car runs great and we sure hope it stays that way. I have a 1996 Ranger XLT/4.0 that has given me no complaints what so ever.
    Woodge in Oregon
  • riswamiriswami Posts: 192
    I'll agree that the Duratec engine is a more moderndesign and has more power. The horsepower and torque ratings tell you that. However to say they get better gas mileage is misleading. They have lower EPA mileage ratings on the window sticker. People I've talked to who have owned both Duratec and Vulcans say the Duratec uses a little more fuel or is about the same as a Vulcan.
    My 97 Vulcan is pretty fuel efficient. It does run out of power but that doesn't bother me. I new what I was buying before I made the purchase.

If it was me I base my decision on dollars to spend and what deal was available. I'd definitely purchase a Duratec if I buy a Taurus or a Sable. If power isn't a big concern buy the Vulcan. I've heard that the Duratecs have been extremely reliable.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    It is not my intent to mislead anyone. Let me add a disclaimer: My comments on mileage are based on my own experience and your mileage may vary. :-)

I could be wrong but when we bought our 2001 Taurus, I believe the EPA rating was 20 in city for the Duratec and 18 for the Vulcan. I was thinking that the highway number was the same. I wouldn't swear to that and earlier models may have been different. If EPA ratings are important, it easy to check at the EPA website or a local dealer.

In any case, I rent Taurus and Sables frequently for business and have had both Duratecs and Vulcans. I consistently get a little better mileage with the Duratec. Our company has a number of fleet cars and overall, we have found the Duratec a little better on gas in real-world driving. Again, your mileage may vary depending on driving habits, terrain, etc.

Bruce
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    costs...I was given a 99 Taurus loaner with Vulcan while they repaired my 2000 Sable (Duratec)...the Vulcan engine was so underpowered I wanted to get out and push...there is no comparison...with my wife in the car and the Air cond on, I could have walked faster...no acceleration at all...do not even consider the Vulcan, get the 200 hp Duratec and you will be quite happy...most people when they test drive a low performance, low HP engine, they forget to drive it with 2 or 3 people and the A/C on, and they are sorry when summer comes...avoid the Vulcan like the plague

Bob
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    That is right, majority of 4cyl. cars are coming 150HP+ . For the size and weight of Taurus, the model is really underpowered. Funny thing is that Ford is badging them as 6 cyl.