Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• gerry33gerry33 Posts: 2
    Drove a couple of hundred miles today and it was windy and gusty. Car still moves around too much I think for a new car. I'm wondering if it might be a combination of poor tires (Continental TouringContact AS P215/60R16) and struts? Or can the steering be tightened/firmed up from factory setting? Any thoughts? Thanks iusecad for your reply. What's a Ram?
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    its a Dodge Ram pickup. Very nice, I might add.

Good luck on your car. I know how annoying a wondering car can be.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford's and GM's contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and Washington:

Ford: $1 million to Red Cross and 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept.
    GM: $1 million and a fleet of vans.
    Daimler Chrysler: $10 million

Hyundai $100.000
    Audi, BMW, Daewoo, Fiat, Honda, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porshe, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota gave $$OOOOOOOOOOOO.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    That is an "urban legend" that is refusing to fade off into the sunset where it belongs.

Check this out: http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/cars.htm

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • frank58frank58 Posts: 54
    I have a 96 Sable wagon with 37,000 miles on it. I have had to replace 1 of the freeze plugs that was corroded and leaking. They told me the back plug looks to be going the same way as the front.
    The car has been babied with all maintenance done at the dealer. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
  • atcersatcers Posts: 26
    I know what you mean about windy days and big trucks!!! I have a 01 Sable that does the same thing. While this is the only thing I dislike about the vehicle it is annoying none the less. I have had mine in the shop three times at two different dealers and neither dealer will acknowledge that the sway is evident. They say it rides fine and nothing is abnormal. Other than a few scattered posts this doesn't appear to be an issue with other Taurus/Sable owner!

Scott
  • ehennessehenness Posts: 92
    I just took an 1100-mile round trip over the last weekend. It was very windy on the trip to the destination, and I did feel some sway in my '98 Taurus SE. The car was aligned before the trip, and normally tracks straight and won;t need correction on a non-crowned road. On that first leg, I had the wheel turned partially almost constantly, but it was only because it was a crosswind blowing diagonally from the right front corner of the car. I have never noticed a problem in directional stability otherwise, and on the return home, it was calm and the car was just great. No problems, and very comfortable.

Do check the tires--I did have a pull in one tire that would make the car drift. It was replaced, and the tire shop mentioned that they see a fair number of these with defects (these are the General G4S tires that Ford used through '99--I don't know if the 16" Continentals on the 2000-up cars are prone to the same problems).
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Posts: 154
    My 98 SE sedan came with the crappy OEM General tires. They were truly scary in rotten weather. Ditched those for a set of Michelin Pilots, and now the car sticks to the road. My 00 SE wagon came with OEM Conti TouringContact tires, and they are very good. I would replace those with the same ones when they wear out (though the car has 37k on it and the tires look hardly worn).
    My 00 Sable also tends to sway while driving on the highway in windy conditions and when a big truck passes by. Also, I still have the lurching forward after shutting down the engine and engaging "park".

My understanding is that perhaps Ford left some bugs in it and quality control wasn't really the top priority or maybe attention to detail.

However, the lurching forward is a problem to me but not the service department at Lincoln-Mercury. I will have my private shop look at it next time I go for service

Hey, not a perfect car but not bad at all either.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    any folks on these boards....any of you have the v8 SHO model had the camshaft fracture incident happen to you that has been talked about on some of the SHO web sites?

I am curious to know what percentage of v8's this has affected....I am considering if I should obtain an extended warranty or if I should have the preventative solution done on my camshaft sprockets.
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    Sorry folks, but our 2001 SEL with the Continentals and the car does not get knocked around any more than any other cars. You want to talk about getting tossed around in the wind??? We traded in my wife's E-150 high top van for the Taurus. Compared to the van in the wind, the Taurus is on rails!
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    I own a 2000 Taurus with 15000 miles. I sensed the same feel, compared to the 1990 Taurus I had for 10 years and 98000 miles.
    I think you may notice less sway with little or no deterioration in ride by raising tire pressure to about 36 psi cold, instead of the specified 30 psi. At least it seemed to improve the situation for me. The steering does seem a little more remote than my 90 Taurus, but I soon got used to it. Ride and quietness are much improved with still acceptable tight handling, in my opinion.
    I wouldn't put more air in my tires than the recommended psi by Ford. Especially during the warm months of the Summer when tires run hotter than usual and cool down more slowly.

By the way, my tires are Firestone Affinities which came with the station wagon. Actually, I used to put about 2 psi more than what Ford recommends but last time I took the car for service, the advisor told me that the tires were at 36 psi (a gross exaggeration) and used sarcasm.
  • cbassett01cbassett01 Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Taurus GL with about 98k miles. It's in good working condition (ie. no mechanical problems or body problems). It's been really well cared for. I bought this car used about six months ago, and recently encountered a problem and was hoping that someone can help me out here.

When I took my car in to fill it up with gas the other day, the suddenly stopped working properly (I can't hear anything from the speakers). I was listening to the radio before I shut off the car and it was fine then, but when I turn the car back on again, I don't hear anything. The radio seems to work fine, but I don't hear anything out of the any of the four speakers. I have not had anything like it go wrong in the past six months that I've owned the vehicle. It just seemed to happen that day, and I haven't been able to get it to work since.

I'm not one of those loud music listeners. I listen to the music at a fairly moderate level, and I am very careful about the entire car itself.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about why the speakers wouldn't work all of a sudden? Could it possibly be a blown fuse or damanged wire? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks
    cbassett01
  • bcohenbcohen Posts: 58
    My guess is since none of them are working, and the radio is that the speaker wires became unhooked from their harness behind the radio. You'll probably have to unscrew the dash, and pull out the radio to get to the harness. That sort of thing just happens sometimes. Something like that has happened in just about every car I've owned. I hope that helps.
  • krusty3krusty3 Posts: 1
    I have the chance to buy a 1999 Ford Taurus LX....16,000 miles, fully loaded for $10k

Is it a good deal????
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    A journalist is looking for someone who bought one "twin" over another where the manufacturer offers two or more vehicles based on the same basic platform. (a Maxima vs. an I35 (or I30) or the TL vs. Accord)
    Did you know it was basically the same vehicle as the other?
    Why did you choose it over the other?
    Please submit your response to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, May 15.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Note the Continental Touring Contact AS tires that Ford appears to be supplying on all 2000 and up Tauri have a max pressure rating of 44 psi cold(cold,which means a car that has not been driven recently, is how you should check your tires, and adjust cold pressures as the seasons change)

Ford and other automakers specify tire ratings to match the ride and handling characteristics they want the vehicle to have. Raising cold tire pressure a few PSI , to 34-36 psi for the Continentals, as long as it does not go beyond the tire manufacturers specifications will not necessarily do any harm.

In fact, underinflation is generally the cause of more tire difficulties. During extended high speeds, internal friction from the tire flexing generates a lot of heat. This heat can cause tire deterioration. More heat is generated with an underinflated tire than one run a few psi higher than the automaker's specs.

The higher pressure, I think slightly improves the tire stability from lateral wind buffeting, which is why it might help reduce the "sway" in windy conditions.
    define "fully loaded"

i.e.......just power windows and locks or are we talking leather, sunroof, alloys, high end audio, Duratec V6, ABS?

if the car is loaded to the hilt like that I would say 10 grand, while an attractive price, is maybe a 500 to 1000 high....especially considering the soft used market right now. If the market were not currently soft, I would say 10 grand may be an acceptable price.

Thing is, at ten grand it still leaves you with enough money to consider an extended warranty. Not that you'll really need it that much, because the late model taurus' are actually quite solid....but it would be an added piece of insurance you could afford now.
  • billwfriendbillwfriend Posts: 44
    What's the appeal of the Ford Taurus anyway? I've had a loaner for a few days (hail dings on my JGC), and I'm completely unimpressed with this 98 LX Sedan. While the transmission is smooth and engine powerful enough, just about everything else is icky, and ugly! Seats are hard and uncomfortable, can't even find a comfortable driving position with 6-way power functions. The suspension is comperable to my old big-wheel. I'm being jolted by litteraly every little road defect. My wife's 97 Dodge Stratus rides better as well as all the Hyundai's from 95-97. And what's up with the big, thick everything inside? The power controls are bulky, the steering wheel is bulky, the entire interior is bulky, and hard too. And are Ford vehicle stereos made my audiovox? They're bad! I won't even go into the non-working laundry list, cause that's just the dealership not fixing everything that broken. But shouldn't the cruise control, power windows, and trunk be working after 76K? I know, loaners are driven hard. And maybe the shocks/struts just need to be replaced, as well as a fuse or two. And this vehicle is probably superior to all GM products (really icky), and maybe even more reliable than most DC products (which I'm partial to). But I just don't see the appeal, other than it's American. Ford really has become the "uninspiring point A to point B car company" haven't they. Oh well, to each their own!
    According to Kelly Blue Book you Taurus LX will with the following equipment will cost you:

1999 Ford Taurus LX Sedan 4D

Engine: V6 3.0 Liter 24V
    Trans: Automatic
    Drive: Front Wheel Drive
    Mileage: 16,000

Equipment
    Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    Power Windows
    Power Door Locks
    Tilt Wheel
    Cruise Control
    AM/FM Stereo
    Cassette
    Dual Front Air Bags
    ABS (4-Wheel)
    Leather
    Dual Power Seats
    Alloy Wheels

Retail Value $12,375
    The appeal is a combination of a very good car at reasonable cost. For example, I bought my 2000 Taurus SES with the 200 HP 24 Valve DOHC new at the end of the model year in September, 2000 when they had a combined $1000 rebate and 0.9 percent 36 month financing. I paid $18,000 plus sales tax and finance the whole thing, since I was and still am earning more than 0.9 percent in a money market account. This car came standard with power windows, locks, power remote, cruise, ABS, power trunk release, power driver seat, 16" aluminum wheels, etc. Well equipped for a reasonable price.

At 15,000 miles the car has absolutely no rattles, provides good combination of reasonably smooth ride and tight handling, good ergonomics, etc.

Previous to this, I had a 1990 Taurus that still had everything working with no rattles, etc when I sold it at 98,000 miles, and I had very little non routine maintenance required during those 10 years.

The 98 loaner you drove likely had been beat up. Also the 2000's and up are much smoother and quieter.

I am not knocking the Toyotas and Hondas, I am just saying that the Taurus has a very good combination of price and features giving it good value for a full size sedan.

Check the Edmunds 2000 sedan comparisons. Taurus came in third out of ten and had by far the lowest price of the top three.

By the way, just what is a JGC, anyway?
    kelley blue book values these days are not that indicative of real pricing in the current market right now. Post 9/11 when the automakers flooded the market with incentives...the used pricing went to hell because everyone traded in and flooded the market with used cars. Consequently, pricing went down.

The best way to check your cars wholesale value is to have someone who has access to the car auctions let you know what they are currently going for. This is the most accurate barometer.
  • billwfriendbillwfriend Posts: 44
    JGC = Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2000 at that. Sounds like you got a good deal at 18K, good for you. I see Ford did revamp the interior as well for 2000, it certainly needed it. Edmunds TMV for trade-ins is pretty close to wholesale/auction trade-in values. Kelly Blue Book has been out of date for years! KBB prices are way too high!
  • g1994stsg1994sts Posts: 26
    The tranny on my 99 Taurus performs erratically. Sometimes if I hit the gas a little too quickly at low speeds or from a standing start, the engine will race freely and then the second gear engages and the tires peel out. Just like dumping the clutch with a manual. Is this a quality/reliability issue affecting Fords lately? Has anyone experienced this problem.
  • automan227automan227 Posts: 118
    Here is the following that I negotiated on a lease on a Ford Taurus SES. Here are the options:

Leather
    Power Pedals
    Aluminum Wheels
    Automatic Transmission
    CD Player
    Plus all the standard features

Here is the deal I got:

$1500 Due at Signing (picks up remaining 2 payments of about $800 on current lease)
    $259 per month
    36 months
    12,000 Miles per year
    Ford Motor Credit

The capitalized cost of the car is $21,320.

Is this any good?

Thanks.
    AS
  • quickfordsquickfords Posts: 18
    Is anyone experiencing a hard to shut right rear door? The RR door on my mother-in-laws '01 Sable needs to be slammed to get it to shut tight. It was not shut one day, flew open and struck a mail box. The dealer mechanic said they do have another '02 that needs adjusting too. Are there others who have a hard to shut RR door?? Is this a wide spread problem or just a freak episode??
    Thanks for the help.
  • ohio7ohio7 Posts: 67
    I am still laughing at finding out that JGC means Jeep Grand Cherokee. Whoa, you'd have to look far and wide to find a more ugly, bumpy, small rear access, hard-seated, no leg room in rear, truck like dash, and did I say butt-ugly vehicle.

I "slug" to and from DC (that's Washington, Dictrict of Columbia) daily and have the opportunity to "test ride" many vehicles. When I see a Jeep approaching I know that I'm in for 30 miles of intestinal upset. I can't even read the paper for all of the bouncing and jousling.

I think your taste is only in your mouth. I'll take ANY year Taurus over ANY Jeep product. No wonder the Army ditched it.
    I have not had it happen, however, dealer should fix it and the sheet metal damage under warranty.

My '00 Taurus has a "door ajar" idiot light that goes on when any door is not fully closed. I assume her Sable has the same, but I don't know if it is standard on all models. Make sure that is working and if she has it, then I would (diplomatically, of course since she is your mother-in-law) tell her make sure she checks her dash for any warning lights before driving off.
    I have had a sticking left rear door on my 99 SHO....brought it in to get it fixed and still no difference....I guess I am stuck with it.
This discussion has been closed.