Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• 427435427435 Posts: 86
    I watch the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis board also. Guess what---owners of these cars (2000 and 2001)seem to be having the same problems. Wonder if it will take Ford Motor Company as long to admitt to the problem and get a fix in place as they did on the plastic manifolds for the 4.6 V-8.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    3L motors seem to have a known pinging problem over the last 10 or so years, per the discussions on www.fordranger.com

And only higher octane gas helps.

So, don't expect Ford to engineer this problem out of their motors.
  • eng6ineeng6ine Posts: 29
    Do the people that are having this problem with pinging have the 3.0L 12V Vulcan engine or the 3.0L 24V DOHC Duratec engine?
  • The Duratech doesn't ping - - - it screams! :-)
  • frank58frank58 Posts: 54
    I have a sable wagon with the 3.0 engine. It has been great the car is a 96 and pinging has not been an issue.
    The octane I use is 87, I am located in the Boston Ma area.
  • Could somebody recommend to me a good aftermarket rotors(brands and sources) and front pads?
  • I've had good service with NAPA rotors and pads. IIRC, the "lifetime" made in America rotors are about $75 each and their "lifetime" carbon pads, less than $100. The imported from China rotors are $40ish each and their less expensive pads, around $35. This is in the southern part of The Peoples Republic of California.
  • seeligseelig Posts: 590
    my kid wants to buy a Sable, it's a '96 with 90K mi. 6cyl., 4 door. it was a government car and they are asking $4,000 for it. i am told that it was kept up maintenance wise, but i'm totally lost when it comes to what the car might be worth. any help would sure make me happy....
    thx
  • Having driven a few "G" cars, I would go over it with a very fine tooth comb. Edmunds should be able to give you an idea of the value. Some of my fellow gummint employees don't respect "G" cars very much.
  • I have a 2000 Mercury Sable LS 3.0 24 valve engine and lately I have been having problems at
    times when starting the engine. When the car is
    started it is like the engine is flooded and then
    will start. Is anyone else experiencing this problem. I am taking my car to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can figure it out. Please
    let me know if ya'll have had this problem either
    with the Sable or the Taurus. Thanks
  • My ford taurus is a piece of junk. I will NEVER buy a ford again. The head gasket went at 75000. The AC went at 45000. The breaks have not been working properly for the last 30000 miles. The car overall has been the worst I have ever had.
  • seeligseelig Posts: 590
    what year is your taurus?
    my 92 cougar had the same problems and then some, which is the last time i ever looked at fords (merks).
    the reason i'm checking this thread, is because i posted a question as to the value of a '96 sable w/90K miles. doesn't look like these cars are very popular at all though.
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    I took an appointment from my local dealer for tranny flash and also asked them whether filter needs to be replaced. They said filter is not replacable on 2000 models, flash will clean up the filter too. I was wondering you guys have some experience on tranny service on 2000 Taurus.
    Any input will be appreciated.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    has anyone tried changing the Oxygen sensor to solve the pinging problems? It might be worth a shot.
  • canadatwocanadatwo Posts: 198
    how does the optional traction control work on the new style Taurus?

Does it use the brakes, engine, or something in the axle?

does it really make a difference in the snow/ice?
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Posts: 154
    ... utilizes the ABS. Seems to work -- it is very hard to force a wheel to spin.
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    shuts down the engine, applies the brake, all of the above.
  • If you're like me and used to driving on snow/ice, it is a little unnerving at first because it feels like you have lost power. In Minnesota, you get pretty used to wheel spin in the winter and how to "play" it with the accelerator. So, when it doesn't happen the way you expect, you find yourself momentarily asking "what's wrong?". But, on balance, it probably does more good than harm and is a reasonable option once you get used to it.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    car mfrs put traction control on a car, but still leave crappy tires on the car. In the end, all the traction control does is make up for the fact that the car has **** for tires.
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    In our family we have a 2000 Mustang V/6 convertible and a 2001 Taurus SEL, both with traction control. We live on Long Island and so are not really in "snow country". The Mustang has Eagle GAs and even with the trac control is useless in the snow. The Taurus has Continentals and although we got it late last winter and didn't get too much snow time, the front wheel drive with the traction control make for a much better trip in the snow.

If I lived in snow country I'd consider a good set of winter tires on the Mustang (or leave it in the garage) and might also for the Taurus.