Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• I must be out of touch also, not at all excited about someone owning a set of big mirrors, really I am more interested in seeing where I am going and not where I came from.
    Perhaps some of the big mirror watchers could determine if mirror size is a factor in Toyota become third for the month of August?http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0309/04/a01-26240- 8.htm
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    That's it: Large mirrors must be the reason for Toyota's success. That and low hanging tailpipes must be a desirable design feature. Many people seem to be willing to pay a hefty premium for these features. :-)
    Adjusted properly, even Taurus allegedly too small mirrors cover your blind spot completely.
  • Until I read it here I never thought that the mirrors on my Merc. Sable were small. In fact, I believe they're adequate.

There are so many features in a car to talk about.
    I guess all the arguments to put down and ridicule Taurus/Sable have been exhausted. So now we pick on mirrors. What will tomorrow bring?
  • I was just wondering if the owners of the Vulcan engine regretted not get the Duratec engine for the extra power and refinement of the engine. I already pasted on the Vulcan once when I bought my Ranger because I felt it lacked the power needed in a truck.

The reason I'm asking is that I keep hearing stories of the Vulcan engine going 2,3,4 and even 500,000 miles (That's like owning a Diesel). I drive about 75 miles round trip a day to work. I'm looking for something that is comfortable and is going to last a really long.
  • I almost forgot to ask what you Vulcan owners are getting MPG too.
  • Wow!. I've had alot of cars in my day and could never get close to that mileage. I'm not saying it can't be accomplished, but that would be pretty remarkable totheendoftime.

The mirror issue isn't really a factor for me and I'm on the road 8 to 10 hours a day. I love the styling of my Sable, just wish we could have purchased a black one instead of Harvest Gold (the wifes' choice). The main issue for me is reliability. I'll keep everyone posted over the next 50,000 miles and see what happens. I wish I was adept enough to do my own brakes but what can you do.
    Just saw a local dealer newspaper ad for a new Sable LS Premium including Duratec V-6, leather seats, ABS, electronic climate control, automatic headlamps, power windows, locks & seat, heated power outside mirrors, auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass, adjustable pedals, remote trunk release, speed cotnrol, tilt wheel, rear defrost, leather wrapped steering wheel, driver/passenger illuminated visor vanity mirrors, 7 spoke alloy 16" wheels, front and rear floor mats, remote keyless entry, security lighting approach lamps.
    MSRP listed at $23,415. Dealer price $16,989. Amazingly good bargains to be had. This is over $1K less than my 2000 Taurus SES cost me three years ago and this Sable has more options.

Too bad it doesn't have an optional oversize outside mirror option, then it would be perfect!
  • I know 500,000 miles is alot. I know a guy that has an early 90's Ford Ranger with the Vulcan that had 486,000 miles on it. He told me that he has owned 4 vehicles with the Vulcan and never had a problem with any of them.
  • More power to you totheendoftime. That's fantastic! I like the additional power of my Duratec though.

You know how we drive around the Boston area!!
  • We don't want the idea that bigger mirrors are better to get around. I don't need 30 SPAM mails a day promising me that I too can have a larger mirror with little effort LOL
  • Just wanted to say that when I went to this FORD dealership about 6 months ago to check out a Duratec, the idiot salesman didn't know what I was talking about. He went to the sales mgr who came out and told me that they didn't stock any of those because 'there was no demand for it' since these were 'high-end' models and people didnt want to pay 'that much'. THis was a large volume dealership and as a matter of fact part of the SONIC chain which is a large dealer network. And now they are selling them at sub 17K prices, fully configured-I would say that would be a good buy.
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    Don't even get me started. When was the last time you went to a car dealer and the salesman knew more than you?

For example, a lady I ride the train with is looking for a new car. She went to a Ford dealer to look at a mustang coupe. She told the saleswoman that she didn't need a V/8, a 6 or a 4 would be fine. The woman told her in a rather looking down her nose way that Ford has never made a 4 cylinder Mustang. My friend almost laffed in her face because the first new car she had was a 4 cyl Mustang!

When I was looking for my 89 Taurus Wagon I was told by one salesman that the v/6 was optional (not)and when he gave me a price for the car it was about $600 above the LIST PRICE!

Hard to believe sometimes
  • Normally I'd never even ask this question because I'm normally a power junkie too. But I'm starting to see 2002 SES with the Vulcan with low miles for like $6000.

So how do you like your engine Vulcan owners.
  • Earlier someone asked whether they should purchase the warranty for a Taurus with 20k miles. FYI my 2000 Taurus has 105,000 miles and it's running great. In fact when people hop in they can't believe it has that many miles. There's no way I'd purchase any sort of extended warranty.

- Rob
  • riswamiriswami Posts: 192
    I have a 97 GL with the Vulcan and have 95k. This car was both my first 6 and my first automatic. My previous cars were all 4s with sticks.

I have no complaints. When mine was under warranty I had it checked out for oil consumption. That was at 30k. It still uses the same amount. Estimated at 1/2 quart every 1,500 miles.

I don't find the engine peppy, but it is adequate. I also have a 98 Villager and that engine seems much more responsive.

To be honest I don't think that engine durability is a concern with the Vulcan. I'm more concerned with transmission life. I've had my fluid changed three times since I bought it.

As far as gas mileage; I get between 24 and 28.6 this time of year. I know someone who had both a Duratec and a Vulcan. The Vulcan got about 2 to three miles per gallon more than the Duratec for him. I've gotten as high as 31 on a trip running 70 to 75 and using the A/C.
  • OK, here comes the stupid question of the day!!!
    I bought a 2000 Sable LS today, and it has a cd changer in the console. Can someone please tell me how this works?? I still have 8 tracks (lol), no but really, I only have experience with my cd player at home, and this contraption in the console looks awfully weird to this old (43) guy.
    Any help will be appreciated. THanks
    Botnucar,

Really very easy. Open the console, slide the door open on the CD changer, push the eject button. This will pop the cartridge out of the CD changer (if there is no cartridge then you need to get one as it will not work without it). Load up to 6 CDs into the cartridge as per the picture on the cartridge or instructions in the owner's manual (no not use CDs with paper labels on them that many use when they home "burn" a cd...these may get stuck in the mechanism). Return the cartridge to the changer (be sure to put in in the right way...the writing on the top should face you in the driver's seat) and slide closed the changer cover and the console. Turn on the radio, hit the CD button, select the disc and the track and enjoy.
  • Just one more quick point on the Vulcan with 486,000, What did this guy do for work to put so many miles on totheendoftime?

I owned a 91 Acura Integra for 9 years and I'm a sales rep on the road. I put 286,000 on that car. I know it could have gone further but the shifter bushings wore out. The body started to rust (hard New England winters)and I wore a hole in the fabric of the drivers seat from getting in and out.
    He or she must have really kept on top of the repairs and oil changes!!
  • Rob/Strokeoluck,

Thanks for responding to my warranty question, and congrats on all the successful miles on your Taurus. The second-generation Taurii seem like they've come a long way. I grew up with an '89 Taurus, and it was great until it hit 100K, but then, among other things, it started on fire.

Thanks again for your advice.
  • I recently rented a new Sable. I own a 98 Sable. The new one was a smooth ride compared to mine but I don't have money to buy it.

I have 60,000 miles on mine and its time to replace tires. I think struts and shocks would greatly improve the ride too. I know Ford changed shock damping rates on the 99s but I haven't heard any improvements since.

Any suggestions on strut replacement? I'm just not sure if I should do the whole package; tires, struts, shocks. The ride is not terrible..just old and tired...like me.
    Thanks
  • First off, Tauruses and Sables from '96 up have struts front and rear--no shocks.

Second, since you need tires, why not try replacing just those first. You'd be surprised what kind of improvement you'll get with new tires. If you still have the General G4S tires from the factory, you will probably notice a BIG difference if you swap brands, and even if you don't there should be some difference in ride.

You get what you pay for in tires; cheap tires come back to bite you. The trick with more expensive tires (which last longer) is to keep them rotated or else they'll wear out too soon.

I replaced my Generals at 48,000 miles. They had plenty of rubber, but they got hard, and slid easily in heavy rain under more than normal braking power.

I asked my local tire shop (NOT NTB/Sears/Goodyear, etc.) to recommend a decent all season tire, good in rain and snow. They recommended Bridgestone Turanza LS-T tires, which I now have 19,000 miles on. They are great. I have also had good luck with BF Goodrich on other cars (I wanted Control T/A M80 tires, but they were out and recommended the Turanzas instead). They should perform similarly to the Bridgestones, according to my dealer.

The ride improved and so did the handling. They are not all that much quieter than the Generals, though.

In any case, replace the tires and then see if you get any ride improvement. You might not need struts yet.

Check the air pressure in the tires you have now, too, since overinflation will cause a harder ride. The air pressure is listed on the driver's door. It's 33 PSI front and rear for my '98.

Note that the '00 and up cars have bigger (16") tires. They shouldn't be that different, but it could have an effect on the ride. I have been in a few '00-up cars, and the ride was pretty much the same as in my '98.
    I believe that struts all around have been the practice on all generation Tauri from its inception in the mid 80's. My 1990 Taurus had original struts up to when I sold it at 98K miles in 2000. I believe struts will generally go much beyond 60K miles, unless you drive the Alaska highway or very rough roads on a routine basis.

The 2000 model year suspension was changed to make ride a little less harsh than the previous generation, with little or no sacrifice in handling, in my opinion.
  • I just bought a used 97 Ford Taurus GL for my son last week.It has a am/fm cass with the CD controls on the unit but when I looked in the trunk for a CD changer it was missing. Did Ford offer a CD changer if you get the CD changer buttons on the head unit? or was it seperate option? My guess is mine came with a CD changer but the owners who had it before me took it out before they traded it in to a dealer.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Allen
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    most car stereos are prewired for a cd player/changer even though the cd player/changer may not come with the car. back in 97' a cd changer was an option on most cars.
  • No, there probably was not a CD player in there at all. Look in the well on the left side of the trunk for signs it was there--that is where the factory installed them.

The radios often (probably almost always) were the version with the CD changer controls, without the changer itself. It was an option--you had to pay extra for it in most cases (except maybe if you bought the Mach Audio package--I am not sure on that).

I think it's still that way on the Taurus and Sable. The '03 Sable I recently drove had a cassette player and CD changer controls with no changer. There's also a radio option that has a single CD slot instead of the cassette, and that also can control a changer.

My '98 has changer controls. I added a Ford changer--other than mounting it, it was 'plug and play'--from www.radiosandmore.com. Fired right up as soon as I tested it.
    We are very happy with the traction of the Continentals on my wife's 2001 Taurus SEL, but as the car approaches 30,000 miles they are starting to wear out. My mechanic is very big on Toyos and has had me put them on two of my other cars with good results. Part of me wants to stay with the Continentals but another part of me thinks that they didn't last as long as they should have. Any suggestions?
  • I've been looking around various department stores for a new speaker system for my '87 Taurus LX, but NO ONE has speakers for my car. Apparently it's too ancient. Does anyone know a place to go where I could het a hold of the right speakers for a relatively good price?
    Get your self a Crutchfield catalog or better yet go to their web site (http://www.crutchfield.com). Plug in the year of the car and they will have every audio application from radios and CD players to speakers and adapters.

I found lots of items for my kids' 86 Mercury so you should have no problem with your Taurus
    Just for the heck of it, I checked my dealer's website and they had in stock a total of 15 Taurus SES's and SEL's that had the Duratec engine. Both 2003's and 2004's. The dealer you visited sounds pretty lame if they first don't even know the difference between the 3.0 Vulcan and 3.0 Duratec. I doubt if they even knew what stock they have on hand.
  • Have just purchased 2002 Taurus SE (Loaded exc sunroof) 19K miles and still under New Car Warranty for well under $12K. After owning a '97 Plymouth Breeze for a trouble-free 6 years and 74K miles (in spite of CR's warnings) I'm enjoying the added power and many extra features. Can finally beat fully loaded dump trucks away from stoplights. I have the Vulcan engine.

All of my cars (for the last 50 years) have been dealer serviced, whether new or used, except for a Hupmobile many years ago, and have found that although more costly it does pay off in the long run. My service interval is right at 3K miles for oil changes, filters and a general lookover by the mechanic.

Driving sensibly helps too!

I note from one posting that the oil consumption for the Vulcan engine is a pint every 1500 miles. Is this normal? Also, the manual advises only regular gasoline. I've used mid-grade (89 octane) for a very long time and am wondering if this higher octane will confuse the computer chip in the ECM?

Any helpful suggestions are most welcome.