Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    I'm just curious, but do you know which factory your car was built at? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that one of the factories might have had more quality control issues than the other...

Also, what kind of mileage are you getting with all your driving?
  • I think my car was built in Oklahoma. I know the Assembly Plant location was on one of the window stickers, but I removed all that stuff.
    I get approx. 27 miles on the freeway. Approx. 40 of the 220 miles is mountainous. In the city, I get approx. 18 miles, sometimes less depending on my driving habits.
  • mralanmralan Posts: 174
    Same question that I have for snowman. Did you purchase the Yoko Avid H4's or T4's?
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    They are Yokohoma Avid Touring. I found them in Tirerack.com with excellent test result and very compatitive price. I paid $47.91 each plus installation.
    If you ever get new set, get them balanced in the dealership. 3rd party shops are cutting corners on lead weights and they are pretty much small compare with dealership weights. I had this problem. I took it to dealership they balanced it since then they are excellent.

One other suggestion that I read here, wash your alloys with dish detergent before you take it in for balancing, this way weight will stick to alloy like glue and you won't loose them, otherwise surface dirt may cause loss of wheel weight.
    I am surprised about your transmission problems. I am just curious, what were the symptoms before they went south?
    Mine is built in Georgia plant which is considered risky plant in terms of quality. I got 30K, so far power steering pump was replaced, other than that, it's been good. Got the trany. flushed at 22K. and before the summer, got all fluids replaced. Keep an eye on brake fluid. It must be like champagne color, if it is darker get it replaced asap.
  • riswamiriswami Posts: 192
    are built in either Chicago or Atlanta. Interesting that a 2k model is having transmission trouble so early in its life.

My 97 had the "service engine soon" light go on last week. I thought it was emmisions. My mechanic told me the code stated excessive slippage in the transmission. Tranny seems fine to me. The light was reset and I've driven approximately 150 miles since and no Service Engine Soon" light has gone back on.Hoping it was something with a bad sensor signal; although I've heard these trannies go without much warning.

My mechanic also stated he liked the old Vulcan motor over the DOHC. Thinks it is built better and will last longer. Who knows? Just his opinion.

I didn't read anything where Ford states that significant improvements were made to the new (2k and on) trannies.I was told at my Ford dealership that there are two suppliers of transmissions; one is much better than the other.

I too am curious as to what symptoms the car had before your transmissions failed.

Like I said before, way too early to tell if Ford has improved reliability on the Taurus/Sable. This is the same company that keeps cranking out 3.8 liter engines. I wouldn't want that piece of head gasket eating junk!
  • mablemable Posts: 2
    Just picked up a 2000 Sable LS Premium without the Mach audio system but do have the trunk mounted cd changer. Would like to add if possible the pillar speakers. I'm thinking that perhaps the wiring is already there. Has anyone done this. Checked Crutchfield and they only list info on the 4 speaker set-ups.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    both the vulcan and duratec are solid motors.
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Posts: 205
    There are two kinds of transmissions AX4S and AX4N in Taurus. What kind you have? It all depends. I know couple of guys who didn't have any problems with notorius AXOD-E up to 150K. My friend also changed powersteering in his 97 Camry around 27,000 miles.

Excessive slippage may be not with transmission by with torque converter. It has piston clutch that can slip when for some reason transmission fluind leaking from internal sealings. But you have to feel hash engagment at 15 mph. It doesn't work normally when there is excessive TC slippage, because computer increases trans fluid pressure. Another sign is a harsh engagment when you go from parking to drive.
  • bdingerbdinger Posts: 1
    kw_carman...

I had a similar problem with my '97 Sable in which the alarm would go off for no reason at all. It turned out to be a faulty sensor in the engine lid that was affected by moisture.

You can still lock your doors without setting the alarm. All you need to do is push down on the lock instead of using the electronic buttons or remote. This should lock the door, but not set the alarm.
  • sola2000sola2000 Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a new family sedan. Before purchasing the car, I did a lot of research and extensivley test drove many cars, both domestics and imports. I drove the Chevrolet Impala, Dodge Stratus and Intrepid, Ford Taurus, Honda Accord, Mitsubishi Galant, Nissan Altima and Maxima, Pontiac Bonneville and Grand Prix, Saturn LS, Toyota Camry and the Volkswagen Passat.

After driving all those cars I would say, without question, the imports are far superior to the domestics. I remember driving the taurus and then going to the Toyota dealer, driving the '02 Camry and being shocked at how much smoother, more refined and better designed and engineered it is than the Ford or any of the domestics.

My favorite out of all cars I drove? It was the Passat. I thought it provided the best driving experience. There really is something to that German heritage. The car I actually bought? My second favorite. A 2002 V6 Honda Accord. Why? I keep my cars a long time and I just didn't trust VW's long term reliability. I know with a Honda or Toyota product one is virtually assured bullet proof quality and reliability for years and years, and hundreds of thousands of miles. In the final analysis that can't be said for American or German cars.
    People who bought Taurus, Intrepid or any other car, had made their mind and decisions. They believed they did the best thing for their taste, life style and budged. I drive Taurus, love the design and comfort. I drove 91 and 99 Accord, got bored and decided not to buy anymore. I also love to drive Intrepid, it is my dream car.
    So coming over here and possibly many other subscriptions and expressing your taste is pointless.

To me, having a car with big radio knob or a little loud engine is better than paying $600-$800 for timing belt and water pump or dumping bagfull money to expensive service calls and maintenance items or most important paying inflated sticker price.

We don't care your taste. However you are most welcome to discuss technicall issues and differences between cars. I believe this is more realistic. If I have enough time, I can generate a big Accord problems or Camry problems lists too.

Good luck your purchase, and if you decide to discuss technical and performance related issues, you are welcome.
  • atcersatcers Posts: 26
    Mable,

I have a 2001 Sable LS without the Mach audio too. I found the system to be a little "weak" so I made several modifications to the audio system one of which was component speakers(pillar speakers) I used Infinity 605cs two way components. These retail for about $180 a pair but you can find them much cheaper on the internet. These speakers will require you to remove the sail panel (black triangular plastic) and cut a round hole that allows for the installation of the component tweeter. The mid-woofer will fit in the existing factory speaker door opening but will require two new holes to be drilled. You are correct in assuming that the wiring already exists. It is inside the door panel. The problem is there is no signal to the wiring without the Mach system. The Infinity speakers include a crossover unit that bypasses the factory setup. The difference in sound quality is very, very noticeable with the component speakers BUT keep in mind that you will still be using the non MACH amplifier which only puts out 6 watts per channel, so the whole musical experience won't be that dramatic. The installation is pretty straight forward and can be done using the existing wiring. If you would like any information on this please let me know as I have replaced all four speakers, installed front components, and added an external amp to the factory system.

Good luck,
    Scott
  • giantrobgiantrob Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a 98 Taurus, 3.0 V6, but the miles are high "85K" It is a good buy, or should I just say Goodbye?
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    "To me, having a car with big radio knob or a little loud engine is better than paying $600-$800 for timing belt and water pump or dumping bagfull money to expensive service calls and maintenance items or most important paying inflated sticker price"

inflated sticker price - that's funny. that's something you'll NEVER have to worry about with a taurus. or anything remotely resembling decent resale value. the most amazing thing is that this car won't be redesigned for years. YIKES!
  • riswamiriswami Posts: 192
    anyone tell you if the 98 Taurus is a good buy. You don't state a price, is the car in good condition? Was it maintained? There are two 3 liter engines, which one does this one have?

One other comment - Does anyone else on this board ever wonder the purpose of certain post? Earlier this week a post was made that a 2k Taurus has gone thru 3 transmissions. Is this possible, yes. But when you ask for specifics you get silence. I sometimes wonder if some of the postings are from people who don't even own the car and are looking to slam, why I can't tell you.

As for the post that tells us how inferior a Taurus is to a bunch of other cars, what was the point of posting it here. I agree with some of what was said in that post. But most of us have our reasons for the purchase we made.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    If for whatever reason I needed or desired to get rid of my Merc. Sable and buy another brand I would refrain from announcing it in this thread.
    I find it distasteful that this guy posted here that he purchased a car other than Taurus or Sable.

The comparison he makes is interesting although he doesn't elaborate much but boasts that he bought a Honda Accord? Please post it in the Honda thread.

I'm not denying that Camrys and Accords are good cars but wouldn't attempt to insult my fellow Sable/Taurus owners by informing them that I purchased a different make.

I really don't have brand loyalty. However, I not only like my Sable but also I can think of several advantages of owning a Taurus/Sable over the Japanese competition. This thread, however, is not for comparisons. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I love my Mercury Sable and would rush out to purchase another one bypassing others. It offers advantages that others don't even come close to offering. Sometimes I think that Ford doesn't capitalize on
    it.
  • atcersatcers Posts: 26
    I couldn't agree more with Danielj6 and riswami! The reason for some of the anti-Ford posts make me wonder about their validity. Especially when details are asked of the poster. I don't think most people ask questions of negative posts to "grill" the poster but to see if they "can do" or "should look for" similar problems with their vehicle. Most of the time as was stated there is no response. Therefore the original negative poster was inflating the truth or is not willing to share their knowledge with others. Neither of these senerios helps people on this board. No doubt there are better cars than the Sable/Taurus, I for one would love to own a 540 BMW but there is no way I could live with the initial cost and BMW maintenance. When it comes down to the bottom line domestics are more reasonable to repair than imports. I purchased my Sable not for resale but because of 0% financing and invoice pricing. It was a great deal compared to Toyota and Honda. My biggest gripe on the Camry and Accord is the small/narrow driver leg area. I'm only 6 foot and wonder how taller drivers deal with the lack of leg room? Thank you Ford for having the option of a front bench seat!!!!!!!!
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    actually i saw the very same post (accord purchase over others) on the malibu page. i wonder how many other places it has been posted? i have not seen it on the accord page however.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Yeah, the person went on a spam attack. But the rules of netiquette have been emphatically explained by other TH members to said person. ;)