Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    without the Sarcasism.

i guess what i find so astonishing is that no one on this topic seems to share my frustration with ford for neglecting this all important segment for so long.

if there's any frustration on the part of anybody it seems to be focused on ford's competition.

thankfully, it does appear that ford is finally getting on the right track with the futura and 500.

they certainly wouldn't be going anywhere by blaming the consumer for their current situation with the taurus.
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    Yes, Accord (and/or Camry) is not a super car at all. It is all in their mind. How often you read Honda Accord problems forum. Look at the amount of complaints related to fit and finish, transmission, brakes ....
    Honda made big mistake by pulling hatcback civic out from the market. Ford realized that put Focus into market and got market share. Many young people are driving hatcback focus. Now small car market is dominated by Neon, and Focus. Everywhere used to be hatcback civic. Now, you see many Neon and Focus in traffic.
    Why do you have frustration? Every company has its own strategy. If Ford thinks it is time to put new car into market let them do it. If they fail, it will be their problem. The same thing for Honda or Camry.
    Please try not to attach yourself to these car companies emationally. But if you think Ford is doing bad job which causes frustration on you, you might want to apply Ford for a position like R&D CEO or Marketing CEO or something. And we'll take it from there...
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    I must agree with you...Ford spent so much time concentrating on the SUV that it totally forgot folks who wanted a real car for the family. The Taurus did not deserve to be relegated to the back burner for so long. I say again, its like they lost interest when the public did not like the oval Taurus.

We drove vans for better than 16 years (one Toyota and two full size Fords) but now that the kids are no longer hauling everything they own everywhere we wanted to return to a "real car".

My Mom's got a 2000 Camry LE and its a nice car but really think it is very "cheap looking" compared to my wife's 2001 Taurus SEL.

You know, why do we always have to please everyone. Toyotas are fine vehicles if that's what you want. Ford did a lousy job with the Focus unless your my son who's got 45,000 trouble free miles on his 2001 SE.

Different people see the world differently and I say thank God for that! If you want to drive an SUV or a Toyota or a Honda well that's great. But I think companies need to not put all their eggs in one basket like Ford did with SUVs. I hope that when they come out with the 500 they don't do the same thing again...
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Well, car companies put their eggs in the basket with the money in it, and SUV's & trucks have kept Ford alive while they've been scratching their heads desperately trying to build a Camry. The bean counters won't let them do it. They could do it, but would it sell enough to make a profit with what it costs to make it that good? That's the problem domestics have right now, because Toyota, and to a lesser degree, Honda, already have this process clocked. The 96 Taurus was built to exceed the 92 Camry, and in many ways it made it. But in the end, the bean counters thrifted out a lot of what the designers put in, and it was a very good car, but not quite up there in NVH, or longevity. Then, there was the styling, which was too ovid for many, me included.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    Throughout the 7 years that I had my 91 Toyota Camry I went twice to Ford dealers to trade to a Taurus wagon, preferably. I needed something roomy and safe for my growing children.

First time 1993 I didn't get the Taurus wagon basically because my wife right there and then,in front of the salesman and manager, mentioned that after seeing the wagon she really wanted a minivan. Taurus wagon would've been sufficient. In 1996 we went again to a Ford dealership but I didn't like the car's sloping hood. Did not buy it.

What's the point here? Even though I owned a Camry I still wanted the perceived virtues of a Ford Taurus, which my Camry didn't possess then. My car felt like an econobox. However for 7 + years never visit the shop for repairs.

Taurus was built strong, safe and roomy. Camry was made reliable, economical and good looking. If Ford would've put great effort into putting dependability in the Taurus people would've flocked to get it.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    if i'm not mistaken, the civic line is still the top seller in the small car market. and there is a civic hatchback (it doesn't sell very well though).

you're not going to be able determine a car's overall reliability by reading a forum board.

i see you still continue to insist that consumers are being "duped" into spending more money for their camcords. your entitled to your opinion and i won't take it personally. but i think ford would love to have the demographics that honda has with its accord.

thanks for your (along with danielj6, nvbanker and fdthird) input.
  • beedublubeedublu Posts: 236
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but here I go:

I'm considering buying a brand-new '03 Taurus SES Deluxe sedan, but I'm wondering how much below invoice I should go for my initial offer.

I've always understood that Ford gives the dealer an additional 3% of MSRP (in addition to the normal holdback) on "leftover" models. In this case, that would be about $679. (MSRP is 22645 + 660 destination charge = $23310).

Any suggestions on where I should start (ballpark estimate)? The dealer in question has about 25 '03s on his lot and twice that number of '04s.

Thanks.
  • eng6ineeng6ine Posts: 29
    Lets put it this way.......I would buy a Taurus with square wheels before I would even think about buying a Honda or Toyota.....however my wife does own a Honda civic that has bee very reliable.....but no more reliable than my Taurus :)
    For the first 100,000 miles, it's about personal preference in what you like and feel comfortable.
    For the next 100,000 miles, I bet on the Civic to keep you going more cheaply, generally, and from experience.

However, my Explorer has 115,000 miles on it, just needed it's first major repair - a water pump and a front end bushing. That's not bad.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    sometimes dealers even have more discounts available..

start at invoice - 3% and work up from there. Find out ahead of time ALL incentives and subtract those from the adjusted invoice price.

if the deal is close, no need to haggle over a couple hundred bucks.
  • riswamiriswami Posts: 192
    One could argue that a water pump at 115k is maintenance. Honda recommends replacing the water pump when a timing belt is changed. Their interval for a timing belt used to be 90k. The reasoning was the mechanic was already there. Bet a bunch of them also failed sometime right after the belt was changed.Thus the recommendation to change when doing the belt.

So I would not consider a water pump a major repair.My opinion is it is a wear item like plugs, pcv,thermostat, antifreeze, tranny fluid etc.I'm not saying you replace the pump if nothing is wrong; but it shouldn't have been a expensive job.
    it wasn't a big deal. And I'm not complaining in the least. It's been a great truck :)
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    Do yourself a favor and keep your $$ in your pocket;buy used Taurus. 1-2 year old Taurus is the best value you can get. At around 12-14K, you can find one year old SES 22K miles on it.
    try to find one with under 10k miles on it.
  • I have a 2000 Mercury Sable wagon, 24v Duratech engine with the floor mounted shift lever. The other day in an underground garage, I tried to back out of a space. The shift lever moved very easily liked it wasn't connected to anything, but it stayed in park. Wasn't gonna move. When the tow truck got there and figured out he was not going to fit in the entrance, about 2 ft. too tall, the driver proceeded to reach down under the hood next to the fire wall,on the driver's side while I was behind the wheel, and pulled on what he said was the shift lever cable and was able to get it in gear. I then drove it directly to the dealer where they couldn't duplicate the problem. Without actually seeing what went on under the hood in the garage, I don't know if what ever happened, fixed the problem temporarily or permanently. Maybe the tow truck driver is a hands-on healer? Has anybody else had this problem? THANKS
  • beedublubeedublu Posts: 236
    The Ford site says current rebates on Taurus are $2000, but the Edmunds TMV says that it's only $1000. Who's right?

Sorry if this isn't posted on the right board, but I'm still kind of new to this. Thanks.
    local dealers here advertising 3000 rebate and extra 1000 ford moco money
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Rebates are larger for leftover 03's than they are for 04's last time I checked. So you have to be model year specific when talking about what is available. Also, Edmund's may not be instantaneously accurate as far as available rebates go.
    Also are often regional differences in rebates.
  • Don't buy a new Taurus. The used market is flooded with them. Let someone else take the depreciation and buy used...with 10,000 or 20,000 miles on it doesn't really matter. I purchased new and would never do it again. I love my Taurus (well...I "love" the new Nissan 350Z...but my Taurus has been very reliable and comfortable) but I'd never pay 'invoice' again.

Good luck,
    Rob
    Buy what you want...its your money.
    I can see validity in both sides of this issue. True, in general the least costly approach is to buy slightly used to let someone else take the initial big depreciation hit. On the other hand, I buy new because I intend to keep the cars a long time-10 years or so as I only put on about 10K miles a year and would prefer to have direct involvement in all maintenance.

I buy new but wait till the end of the model year and buy a leftover as the rebates and incentives usually are very good for leftovers, thus I try to keep the cash out of pocket lower than buying at the beginning or middle of the model year.

There is no necessarily right or wrong approach, it just depends on the individual.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    I agree that waiting to the end of the model year can net you a very good deal, rebates and an additional discount from a dealership that wants to clear inventory. On the other hand, purchasing slightly used may get you a car with all the bugs fixed.

By the way, I saw the 2004 Taurus. Very nice indeed. Noticeable new fascia. Best looking car on the road. Distinguished but not flashy.
    so much more tasteful than that new malibu. even if its older design.
    If the car is new the warranty will get you 3 years/36k miles to fix any bugs. Maybe what you mean is that it might save the inconvenience of taking the car in to get any bugs fixed, as that was the previous owners hassle?

On the other hand, buying slightly used may mean you miss out on the fact the first owner drove 15K before his first oil change or routinely jack rabbit started, jumped curbs, rode the brakes, slammed the transmission into park before stopping, etc. That's why I like to buy new, though I agree a 1-2 year old low mileage car is very tempting to keep that initial $ outlay much lower.

Maybe the best bet is to buy 1-2 years old but also pay for some extended warranty as well to give yourself some peace of mind.

Regfootball: I agree, I can find no cars in Taurus car size/price range that look as good to me as the current generation Taurus- either with the slight freshening on the 04 or on the 00-03's. I think Ford did a great job of correcting some of the too oval previous generation and came up with a classy but not too sedate style. Certainly better than Camry, Accord, and Altima, and GM's midsizers rub me slightly wrong also. Intrepid is a great looking car, but just a bit over done and its styling makes it look huge, though I think it's length is not much different than Taurus.

The overall structure of Tauri, even though most of it dates back to 96 is still near state of the art in stiffness and integrity, and with the DOHC Duratec, at least Ford can't be accused of sticking exclusively with pushrod engines-not that there really is anything particularly wrong with pushrod engines, in my opinion. All at a price maybe $4-$6K less than the equivalently equipped V-6 Camcordaltimas.
  • Though I normally drive a Buick LeSabre I recently had the occasion to rent a 2004 Taurus SES for six days just outside of Boston Mass. We found the car to be very attractive with some of the sportiest looks around. I would add the spoiler on the trunk and take one in the Tan (beige, odd green or whatever that is.) I liked the interior and dash and found the seats to be firmer and more comfortable than those in my Buick. The little V6 at 155hp is a bit anemic away from a stop and a bit noisy under throttle but settles in nicely at speed. I believe I would rather have the 201hp Duratec 24v dohc unit which has got to perform better. We put 200 miles on it up through Lexington and Concord on to New Hampshire and back. It handles nice and takes those narrow 2 lane roads in stride. I like it well enough to consider it as a replacement for my Mazda which is showing it's age. Lots of them on the market (program cars)here in OKC for 12-14K. Nice car and a really great seat -- Gm needs to copy this front seat.
  • I bought a 96 Taurus in 98 with 33,000 miles on it. I am still drivin this car with currently 130,063 miles. Just replaced the water pump and belt but no other major repairs. Most of my miles are highway. I am very happy with this car and thinking about buying another one, probably 2002 model. I like the look of the Sable. How many more miles can I expect from this car. Are the 02's just as reliable?
    should be, the mechanicals are mostly the same.
  • With 130,000+ miles on my 96 Taurus, does anyone out there know how many more I can expect to get out of this vehicle.
  • I saw one a couple months ago, two owners. Current owners originally bought as a program car with 16K on the clock and they traded it in with 303K. Just regular maintenance and tunes ups. It was the 3.0L vulcan engine. Ran better than some I've seen with 1/2 the miles