Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Sounds like a pretty reasonable price. Check Edmunds Used Car Appraiser section and you may be able to get a better idea.

I would offer them maybe $1K less than that, see if they bite. If not, maybe you can get them to throw an extended warranty into the deal. I believe Ford and some individual dealers have some sort of "certified used car" program for lower mileage and newer cars where they throw in an extended drive train warranty-you may want to check that out.

I think you will be happy with the car. In my opinion Taurus/Sables are one of the more underrated cars available, making them a good bargain.
  • riswamiriswami Posts: 192
    sounds high to me. Is it loaded with leather and Duratec? Taurus has a high depreciation rate first couple of years. Around here I've seen 04s with leather and sunroof for $16,800.

The market may be different in your part of the country.
    SEL's only come with the Duratec.

I just plugged into Edmunds used car appraiser and for my zip code (Milwaukee, WI area) and with every available option checked and checking the best condition and 15000 miles, the trade in price was $12455, the private party sale price was $13623, and the dealer price was $15569. So I think trying to get the dealer down to $14,000 is a reasonable start, assuming this SEL is actually loaded up with every option and is in excellent condition, as it should be with only 15K miles, unless the previous owner was a real pig and the dealer was actually willing to stock a car in bad condition. Usually new car dealers auction off the real loser used cars, so you won't find one that looks to doggish on their lots.
  • sapansapan Posts: 6
    I really appreciate your kind responses. Actually, if I can get 14K, and the dealer is going to offer a little more for my trade-in, I will go for it. my 91 accord ex runs great, has some rust, with 145k miles on it. the dealer only offered $400. That really sucks. I think my car is at least in fair condition. it should be something close to $800-1000. Badgefan, do you think it is neccessary to take the car to a garage for comprehensive inspection before I buy the car?
    If you are buying it from a Ford dealer, probably not. The car still has a bumper to bumper warranty until it is 3 years old or 36K miles, whichever comes first, and this warranty is transferable to you, so I don't think you have too much risk. Some states also require the dealer to provide upon request who the previous owner was, and you may be able to contact them also to discover any issues. There also CARFAX service available for a fee (see the link on the left side of your Edmunds page) that can give you vehicle history.

If buying from a used car only dealer or private party, you may want to get a second opinion, especially if the car's past history is questionable, such as a rental car, lease or repossession, where the last driver could have abused it.

You could probably sell your old car outright yourself for much better than $400, if you want to put up with the hassle.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    in some instances, donating a vehicle will result in a tax write off that is greater than the trade in.

If you plan on keeping this car a long time, consider an extended warranty.

I would also offer that if you don't buy cars often, take a look at maybe buying new. It is more money right now, but you will gain back the best mileage the car has to offer, when new.

The Taurus is a depreciator, but still its a good enough deal when new that you don't blow a lot of money vs. used.
  • After about 30,000 miles the OEM Firestone Affinity tires on my 2000 Sable developed unbalance, flat spots, noisy, poor ride, etc. Replaced them with Yokohama Avid Touring tires. Tremendous improvement overall. Practically no road noise, cruising at up to 75-80 MPH, although I usually set the cruise control just under the posted speed limits on the Interstates.
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    I have been riding on them for almost 22k miles. They are very quite, they resist wear. Couple cons are, they are prone to ozone cracks. Mine developed cracks on side walls due to wheather condition. They are not the size that I should be alarmed but they are there.
    Don't forget to check air pressure monthly. They have tendecy to leak down to 25-26 psi. I always set them to 31. 32 gives very harsh ride.
    Tread wear is excellent. I still have %80 of it.
    Overall, they are very good tires.
    Lately, I discovered Kumhos, my wife is riding on them (Neon) for almost a month. They are cheaper ($37 piece)then Yoko and more resist to wet wheather. Of course, they are from Tire rack.
    ok, I need to know HOW to disable the auto locking doors!

I am FED UP with having to UNLOCK my freakin doors when I get out of the car and try to open another one of the doors. I am TIRED of having to use the FOB just to get into the back seat or passenger door, or have to unlock the doors when I leave the car.

WHAT A PITA!

HELP! what do I do!
  • wep68wep68 Posts: 18
    desribes how to disable the auto locking doors.

I like the feature, as I never remember to lock the doors when driving, and I guess it adds some margin of safety to have them locked. I guess its like oatmeal -- locked doors is just the right thing to do
  • Regfootball, if you don't have a manual handy, go to www.qualitycareservice.com, which is Ford's maintenance website. You'll find there a link for 'glovebox manuals' under the 'Maintenance' header on the left side. From there, you can pick the make, model and year and download a PDF manual.

NOTE: I think the manual menu works only with IE; last I tried with Netscape, it won't open the menus properly when you pick year/make/model.
  • vcf1vcf1 Posts: 2
    I blew head on 3.8 '94 Sable. Recall expired. I understand Ford made changes in 3.8 in '96 then another in '97. I want to get a junkyard engine to put in instead of paying a grand to fix old. My question is...What engine with the fixes will bolt right in without modifications?
  • vcf1vcf1 Posts: 2
    Will a 3.0L V6 bolt up?
  • the Vulcan 3.0L will work in that year Taurus without major changes to the engine bay.
    thanks

i never read the manuals!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    A reporter is hoping to interview someone who is planning to buy a new vehicle in the next three months. If you are interested, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by January 1, 2003 with your name and daytime contact information.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    The 97 Windstar used the multilayered steel head gaskets. But you'll have to talk to a mechanic who has already done a swap like that to know if it will work. I personally doubt it can be done, and I'm pretty sure you'll end up spending more money too. Close to $1500 for the used engine and labor.
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    Why do some people think it is easier to go on the INTERNET and ask people who may or may not know the answer to a question rather than reach for that little book in the glove compartment?

There was a woman on a SUV board lamenting the stupid way Ford did something in her new Expedition. She was comparing it to the way her former GM car worked. A fellow member of the board had to tell her that if she looked at page 123 of her manual she'd find that she could make her SUV act exactly like she wanted.

Makes you wonder about all the complaints some people have and how much veracity you should give these complaints!
    its called, 'didn't know it could be disabled'.

manuals are all filled with crap.

just like IRS publications, who has time to read them?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Well, I guess the thing is that those who choose to take the time to read things like manuals and IRS publications have the opportunity to take care of their own interests a bit better. These are all personal choices which don't need to be judged by others, they just are what they are.

Let's just move on, okay?

(said the host who is IncomeTaxAPhobic .... :D)
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    Without passing judgment I'd like to say that reading the manual is a very important and worthwhile pursuit, although at times tedious. Don't have to read it all at once. Perhaps a couple of pages every day.

Only a suggestion.
  • riswamiriswami Posts: 192
    I know what you mean. But we have people who come on to this board, insist they have an option that doesn't work anymore (low washer fluid), then say the manual is incomplete because it isn't mentioned.

Funny I checked the manual on my other vehicle and I found out I have a low windshield washer light.It was in the manual! The manual maybe incomplete for certain maintenance schedules etc. But they are pretty complete when it comes to options on the vehicle!

It is true about believing what youread on the net.
  • jbbw20jbbw20 Posts: 38
    For those who do not know, or care to answer a request, instead of the "go look in the manual" reply, why not save the skin on your fingers and ignore the question. Eventually the question will be answered by an individual who has a little better attitude. LIGHTEN UP BE HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • When I was a kid, I loved reading the owner's manuals of my parent's and relative's cars, and like a kid would read 'em over and over, ;-)
  • I have a 2002 Taurus SEL with 104,000 miles on it (all mine from east coast sales territory). My oil pressure lite came on in Atlanta a few weeks ago but only at idle. The Ford dealer there said the pressure was OK but put on a new "sending unit" to the tune of $209. Two hours away from Atlanta the lite came back on. I had it checked here at home (PA) and they told me it needed a new oil pump. That was another $1800 (had to pull the engine to install). Was I ripped off?
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    Not everything is the manual, but since there is an index and table of contents, it's not as if you have to read every line of every page cover to cover to find out.
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    There's a fine line between "ripped off" and "poorly diagnosed". Did you try asking for a refund on the sending unit replacement? It certainly would be tough to deal with a dealer that far away, but with documented ammo from your local dealer you might have enough firepower. What engine do you have? I know hindsight is rude and obnoxious, but you could have put a rebuilt Vulcan in for not too much more money.
  • kizer4kizer4 Posts: 12
    I have a 2000 Taurus LX that comes standard with just a am/fm radion player. I want to know different options for putting in a cd player, I could care less about a tape deck. I don't want them to install a cd-player with the "filler kit" or whatever they call it, they look weird. Is it possible to get a cd changer, I'm not sure if the factory radio in there is compatible.

Thanks for the help
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    You can get a CD changer installed from the dealer that works from the stereo controls if there is a button marked "CD" on the stereo.
    You can also get an adaptor that takes the CD changer input and converts it to an auxiliary audio input so you could plug anything you want (such as an IPOD, XM radio or portable CD player) and have it play through the factory stereo without resorting to an FM antenna or cassette adapter. This will also give you much clearer sound than using those other two methods.
    It is super easy. You don't even have to pull out the radio from the dash because everything is in the trunk underneath the trunk liner in the left rear fender well.
    You plug RCA cables into the CD changer adaptor and have the cables run from the trunk to the front seat for convenience and you simply plug it into the headphone jack of the portable device (MP3 player, XM or whatever). You then plug the device into one of the power ports so you don't have to rely on battery power.
    When you want to hear the device you simply press the "CD" button on the radio either once or twice depending on whether the car had a built in single disc CD and then you will hear the music playing from the portable device.
    This is better than a 6 CD changer that you would have to keep going to the trunk to swap CDs.
    The AUX adaptors are available at multiple retailers online and maybe some local stereo shops.