Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• barjonbarjon Posts: 27
    Jnorris, while the 5-spoke painted aluminum wheels are standard on the SE, it's true the bolt-on wheel covers are available as a no-cost option on that model. If those wheel covers are listed on the options side of your sticker, then that's the way the car was ordered and assembled at the plant. Your dealer didn't switch the wheels before you purchased the car.
  • fordman33fordman33 Posts: 32
    Has anyone reached the speed limiter speed in their 3.0 Vulcan? I hit 105 m.p.h. w/ mine this morning (accelerated to 100 on an incline and effortlessly reached 105 on the decline before deciding it was probably a good idea to slow down). It didn't seem like it was straining...
  • sable93sable93 Posts: 107
    I think the speed limiter is set at 108 (at least on the older models pre-'96.) It is usually set at whatever the speed the tires are tested for.
    The tires are speed rated at 118 mph on the 2000 Taurus; I'm just wondering if the speed limiter is set that high.
  • drmurdocdrmurdoc Posts: 13
    In the owner's manual of my 2000 Taurus SES, it indicates that it "might" have an optional internal cabin air filter. I don't want to disassemble the assembly under the hood to check and see if mine has one.

Does anyone know which Taurus models (LX, SE, SES, SEL) have the cabin air cleaner???
  • 911dan911dan Posts: 9
    HELP!! I live in Los Angeles and have a 99 Taurus SE Duratec. I'm getting LESS THAN 15 mpg (test period was 2600 combined miles). Is anyone else getting poor mileage...or..what is YOUR mileage and where are you?

The manual says that I cannot have any electrical devices with higher than 5 watt output in the car (i.e. CB or garage door opener) as does the 00 Taurus manual. I want to put my ham radio in the car. FORD has said it would be OK, but (of course) won't put it in writing. Has anyone had any trouble w/their Duratec w/electrical devices? How do police vehicles do it, with the lights, radios, MDTs, etc....are the Crown Victorias different?
  • tractiontraction Posts: 141
    The 2000 Taurus just became the best selling car in June...by a wide margin. The Taurus outsold the Camry (43,365 to Camry's 33,709) and outsold Accord's 34,298. It will be interesting to see if the Taurus reclaims it spot as #1 for the whole year.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    TAURUS RULES

the ingredients of a best seller

-excellent value
    -quality product
    -attractive package
    -screaming deal price
    -IT'S NOT GM!!!!IT'S NOT CHRYSLER!!!!(sorry...Daimler)
    -it looks like a car, not a freakshow
    -they moved the cd changer to the dash!!!!!!
    -people would rather have DOHC powerplants than 3800 v6's
    -People are bored with Camry's and Accords
    -People came in to buy an explorer but got a car instead!!!!!!!!!
    -if they sell enough reg. Taurus, they will bring back the SHO!!!!!!(maybe with a better tranny this time)
  • v8shov8v8shov8 Posts: 4
    Does anyone know how to program new remotes w/o going to the dealer. I just got a new remote and dont want to hassle with a dealer (the closest one is an hour away) Any help is much appreciated.
    Its For a 2000 SES
    Thanks
    See pp. 61-62 of the owners manual; it walks you through it.
    I get between 15 & 20 mpg city and between 20 & 25 mpg highway w/ my 2000 SE Vulcan; I suspect it would be worse if I had the duratec. I'm happy w/25 highway, since I traded a 98 F-150 that got around 16-17 highway, well under the advertised mpg as well. I believe Ford's mileage tests are conducted by a 94 year old grandmother in Kansas, as they always seem to overestimate.
    Just did the first oil change on my 2000 SE. Great car, but I'd sure like to give a swift kick in the posterior to the guy that deciced to stick the oil filter where its located. They must use an air wrench to put them on at the factory. I wrestled with it for about an hour, then had to go to wal-mart for a pliers-style wrench. I used a motorcraft filter; my old wrench fit the new filter, but not the factory filter with the same number. Strange....
    I'm wondering about this as well; a particulate air filtration system is listed as standard on all the models, but I'm not sure its the same thing.
  • bthompbthomp Posts: 69
    I'm not sure what the Tauri twins have, the CV has a 130amp alt. Don't they give you power ports inside the cabin? I guess FORD just put them there for show eh? It's hard to pin anyone down in writing anymore. Too much litigation I guess.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    I haven't seen neither Taurus engine (Duratec or Vulcan) on the annual 10 best engine contest. From Ford I have seen the V-8's and I believe the 2.5L V-6 from the Contour SVT. GM's 3800 Series II V-6 was featured until 1997 and now the 3.5L DOHC "Shortstar" has taken the honors since then 9Both excellent engines). I have yet to see an engine from DChrysler or Honda (Exception the S2000 engine made it to the list this year).

Opinions?
    Ford had the most engines of any manufacturer on this years Ward's 10 best engine list.

The Duratec has won in previous years.

I think the 5.4L Ford V-8 they put in the F-Series and Expedition/Excursion may have set a record for the number of repeat wins this year.

Every winner on the list had one thing in common, overhead cams. Not a push rod anywhere in sight.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Posts: 647
    ... Wards Auto 10 Best Engine winner. Here is the link for the 1999 list, but it mentions a return engagement for the 2.5L Duratec.

http://www.wardsauto.com/best10/99info/ford25svt.htm

The 2.5L is just the 3.0L with a smaller bore. In fact a Ford Performance Tuner has taken the 2.5L heads and mated them to a 3.0L block added a supercharger and is producing about 290HP

Now if I can get that into my Contour :)

Cheers,

TB
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    The Taurus is the number one seller because it is priced where the average family can afford it, not because it is a better car than the Camry and
    Accord. I paid just under 22,000 for my Intrigue
    last year. I could have bought a Accord for 24,000. I didn't feel that the Intrigue was better than the Accord just that I was more comfortable paying 2,000 less. A Taurus can be had for less than 20,000 nicely optioned, this is why people are buying them.
    I have seen your posts flaming Gm cars, most noticeably the Impala, and you guys need to get over yourselves.
    My Intrigue has more room, better acceleration, and better gas mileage than the Taurus, is it a
    nicer driving car, yes, has it been in the shop more than your Taurus', oh yeah. But, even with its problems it has been the best driving sedan that I have been in for the money. Its passing acceleration is truly amazing.
    It seems to me that you need to realize that the Taurus is what it is, a value oriented family sedan nothing more and nothing less.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    AND THE INTRIGUE IS A WORLD BEATER?

the intrigue 3.5 and tranny is a a bit superior engine to the 3.0 duratec and ford tranny, i may agree to that.

But compare the interiors of the two cars. The Taurus beats it hands down. The plastics and switches and seats are much nicer in the Taurus. And the Taurus has more space on the inside.

Looks wise on the exterior its tie. Myself, I prefer the Taurus by a whisker.

Pricing wise, GM still hasn't figured out that a car like the Intrigue doesn't deserve a 28k sticker price (loaded). You can buy a fully loaded Taurus for barely around 23k, or a basic Taurus around 16k. High end or low end, the Taurus is superior priced for a car that is essentially equal or better than comparable GM products.

Bottom line- GM is overpriced in a lot of cases compared to competition, they need to upgrade their motors in a lot of their models, and also they could stand to improve the styling, drving dynamics and interiors quality. Ford at least makes a showing in these areas. You can cite the intrigue, but remember the Intrigue is most likely GM's best sedan. The Impala certainly doesn't stack up like the Intrigue.
    But the Impala stacks better against the Taurus...

(Go ahead flame me!)
  • mcdillmcdill Posts: 180
    ive got a impala sales guide that only the dealer has , and it compares the impala to the taurus, in many ways , and you guessed it the impala came out on top , and a good thing about the comparison was it showed pictures of each way it was compared that way there is no excuses.
    What - a G.M. comparison of Impala and Taurus had the Impala come out on top? Absolutely Amazing!
    Check out the Edmunds comparison for a slightly more impartial comparison....

http://www.edmunds.com/roadtests/comparison/2000/familysedan/index.html
    The Edmunds' Comparo more IMPARTIAL? Don't think so buddy!. Edmunds' reports are very biased filled with subjective opinions and full of childish personal remarks. Read carefully between the lines....."The Oldsmobile Intrigue is a dangerous car to drive without the PCS (Automatic satibility system)...WHAT??????

If this is JOURNALISM, I am SUPERMAN!
    interesting info from Edmunds ....The Chevy Impala is back again, this time as a front-wheel-drive, V6-powered spin-off of the Lumina chassis.

I was wondering where the Lumina went. What ever happened to the rear wheel drive V-8 powered Impala? The new Impala is just a warmed over Lumina with a name change.
    Impala Exterior Design from the Editors of Edmunds:

"Ugly. That was the term most often used to describe the 2000 Impala. The new "squashed greenhouse" look isn't befitting of the Impala lineage, which imparts a breadbox appearance. "
    from the Editors of Edmunds regarding the interior of the Lumina...er Impala:

"lack of quality textures" and "instead sport rubbery vinyls; glossy plastics and a leftover-parts-bin feel"

.."Perhaps it's time Chevrolet took lessons from Ford's Visteon group on how interiors are done."
  • barjonbarjon Posts: 27
    So far, nothing has been done to fix the rear door belt moldings on my car since I brought it to the attention of my dealer's service manager one month ago. After being visited by the regional Ford Rep yesterday, all he could tell me today is that Ford hasn't figured out what to do about this yet, especially since every 2000 Taurus has been built with this defect. His dealership is now up to 6 complaints about these moldings.

Once again, 2000 Taurus owners, take a look at the black moldings on the back doors that run just below the windows. Look at how they appear to be cut too wide around the post at the back of the door (worse on driver's side), leaving a big gap that you can look right down into the door through, also letting more than acceptable amounts of water to get inside the door. Then please show your dealer's service manager. The more complaints Ford has about this defect, the quicker they'll have to find a solution (I hope).
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    "Edmunds' opinions are mean SQUAT to me."

Then why are you here? Why don't you refer us to positve reviews of the Chevy that are not GM edited?

When a car review is bad, they are "biased and reviews mean nothing" and if it's good, they are hailed as "proof that my car is the best".
    Interesting....well you could also take me to the Ford edited unbiased reviews.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    By the way, the Impala is rated as a full sized car with the interior room, so it's supposedly competing with the Crown Victoria.

The Malibu is now positioned as a mid-size car. To me, it is a Corsica-like rental appliance. (yes, I drove one, zzzzzzz.)
This discussion has been closed.