Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone regret buying a Toyota Sequoia?

2»

Comments

• I have a 2012 Platinum and have absolutely no regrets. Granted I've only had it a few months, but I've already put 5,000 miles on it. I've been saving for years to buy a new vehicle by paying cash so I put a lot of time into looking at all the different options out there. Each time we looked at something different, my wife and I kept going back to the Sequoia. I've been a Honda person all my life and really wanted to like the Pilot or MDX, but they just weren't big enough (Honda....why don't you make a large SUV???). I'm expecting long term this will be a great vehicle with great reliability.

I will say if you are at all concerned about gas mileage, then this is not the vehicle for you. We get anywhere from 14 - 18 MPG depending on how fast we are driving. I actually expected the mileage to be worse so I'm happy with what I'm seeing.
  • I like my 2012 sequoia, but HATE the entune system. I would seriously avoid the entune system as 80% of the time, it is unusable due to glare issues. I have adjusted the contrast and brightness to no avail. I contacted the dealership and Toyota directly but they offered minimal solutions all of which i had tried. (ie purchasing an anti-glare screen and adjusting the contrast.) They even told me to move my seat forward and back OR get an aftermarket tint on the front window (which is illegal in california).

So basically, thats it. They said i can swap out the system if i want but at my own cost. After spending $3K more for the Entune system upgrade, i am not going to spend another 3K on a new system!

So here i am with a navigation that i can't use 80% of the time in the daylight.
  • zinger60zinger60 Posts: 3
    We are looking to purchase a used Sequoia but we are having problems finding one locally that has lower mileage. There is one for sale that is a 2004 with 105,000 miles on it. The guy said the timing belt has already been changed and there are no problems with it. He wants around $11,000 for it. We are so undecided on whether even going to look at it or trying to find something else but we are needing something soon. Is 105,000 miles a lot for a Sequoia and with that many miles, is it likely that major things will start going wrong with it? We want to eventually use it to pull a travel trailer which would be in the range of 5000-6000 pounds. We also want it to last for several years too. Any suggestions?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,006
    For any used car, it's a good idea to have your own independent mechanic check it out. And it's nice to be able to see maintenance records and get a Carfax or AutoCheck or one of the other reports that tracks lemons and accidents.

And don't pay too much - you can appraise a used car here by going to the Used Car tab above and drilling down to the Sequoia. It's unlikely that the condition is any better than "clean" when you appraise it.

100k miles for a "ten year old" car is a bit below average. I guess that's good. :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• harboharbo Posts: 136
    Our 02' Limited 2 rwd .... has 207,000 trouble free miles. The only service work is brake pads every 50,000 - 60,000. Tires about 80,000+ and oil changes (synthetic) every 6,000, Transmission flush and changes at 90,000. Feels like it will run 500,000.
2»