Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi Q7 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tfinantfinan Posts: 13
    You should look at the Toyota Sequoia. It looks like a good deal for the size. The 2008 can be had for $12k under sticker. Unfortunately the NAV is terrible according to forum reports.

Separately I had to replace the mirror glass on my Q7 because the mirror got caught on the garage door frame. It cost $450 just for the part and I installed it. It wasn't much fun to pay for something with a car under bumper to bumper but we broke the mirror. Now someone else has hit the same mirror in a parking lot and the housing is loose.
  • mml7mml7 Posts: 55
    This is going to be my last post regarding this "issue" because it's really not particularly productive to hear you rant and rave over the same thing over and over again. Frankly, it makes this discussion forum far less useful and attractive than other Audi forums.

I don't think anyone here has disagreed with you that placement of the the armrest cup holders with relation to the MMI is a particular good one. If you had stopped to take a breath and actually read/comprehended people's posts, I think you would have seen that.

What I am and have repeated pointed out is that you want to blame Audi for everything and that you don't accept responsibility for your actions. As I stated 8+ months ago...how is it Audi's fault that you knocked over and spilled liquid not once, but twice on the MMI and shorted it out? Again, following your logic, I should blame Apple if I spill coffee on my Macbook and short out the motherboard?

About 4 months ago, I back into a post in my Q7 because I was in a hurry and didn't pay as much attention as I should have. Fortunately, no one was injured but do I blame Audi that the D-pillar creates a large blind spot especially with the 3rd row head rests up? Do I blame Audi that the rear parking sensors take a split second to engage and provide warning? NO It was my fault. I took my lumps, paid my insurance deductible and will be dealing with the fact that my carelessness will lighten my wallet over the next 5 years with my insurance premium increases.

Now back to the HOST "REALISM" ...... I start to shop for new SUV... BMW or Lexus or Acura ? thoughts ??

Anything but an Audi. Lexus gets raves over customer service, go seek them out first.

peace,
    mike
  • larislaris Posts: 11
    Umm, it appears that nobody has noticed that the Q7 is equipped with more than one cup-holder. Might I suggest checking out the drivers side door? An excellent, easy to reach cup-holder resides there, perfect for a Starbucks Grande.....a bottle of water, whatever you fancy. There, problem solved. Electronics can remain in the best position and everyone can get back to enjoying their great cars, and their coffees.
    ;)
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    Good to know about the existing door cupholders.

And good to hear that we can all move on to other issues in here now.
  • Now that we all agree AUDI has poorly designed the MMI & cupholder BUT REALISM tells us that our opinions do not matter to AUDI so it may have just been a good venting experience and no more !! LOL

Let me move on to the problems with thei AUDI ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.....

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • some more details ....

The 1st week I had the car the windows stopped working. An electrical problem... so I bought it and they took 2 days to fix it ...

then 6 months later the electrical tailgate stopped working .,,, took them 2 days and they claim it was fixed....

then the problem intermittently appears but when i bring it in to dealer they can not recreate.. so now I pull up to my Golf Club and they all cannot understand why a $60K SUV has with a tailgate that stops half way up ...

Also the car battery would drain every once in a while especially if I had my GPS or Valentine plugged into the cigarette lighter. So I stopped keepin them plugged in and when I took it to the dealer he could not re-create it and siad I should not have to unplug the deices. so he thought i may have left the interior light on - which I know I did not.

so once again I just deal with it ....

then after my 25000 miles service i get car home and every week I have to have it jump started.... and the tailgate stops working ....

I bring it in and they can not re-create the DEAD BATTERY but say it is software

They make a softwar update ...

1 week later I have to call for a jumpstart...

Now I have to take it back into dealer who really is trying to fix it ( but this is a major pain )

BUT how do you recreate a dead battery or tailgate problem ??

Anyway has anyone else had a problem like this ? Any solutions I can share with my dealer.

Maybe I just have a :lemon:
  • tfinantfinan Posts: 13
    What has been your experience here?

I have had the battery die mid-June, mid-September and early November. Parts were replaced each time (satelitte radio receiver, battery and battery manager and rear passenger door handle which did not allow car to go into "sleep mode"). I don't know if it is fixed permanently yet. I need to go over my records but wonder if these problems are related to an update for the rear hatch software that was applied in May. I find it strange that a car would start having electrical problems at 15 months after exhibiting none prior to that.

I used roadside assistance for the jump and have quickly followed with an appointment at the dealer. It has been a hassle but I have been treated fairly.
  • I ws envisioning the same thing...great idea really. :)
  • Exactly, Audi just does not get Customer Service but they make a car that is fun to drive ... you are the best .. thx

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • I emailed the company that you sent the link to. They just may be able to do something like that. Ya never know! I'll keep you posted. :shades:
  • rvl1rvl1 Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 3.6 audi Q7, and it is driving me nuts. It sounds like it is coming from the tank, but not sure.

Was very curious if your problem ever got resolved?
  • Ours has had 3 random dead battery occurances(all in our garage fortunately). Each time simply jumping it was enough to get it back to normal(no dead cells in the battery). No explanation has been found. You will find a lot of info over on Audi World forums as others have had the issue too. As others have said- there is an MMI module which can cause issues. BT modules have been blamed as well(and door handles...). In my case the dealer told me leaving the key in the car causes a drain as the computer never shuts down when it "sees" a key. It has made no difference in my case(sometimes keys are left in the car, sometimes not). I do not think the issue has been solved by Audi yet. Electrics are not a VW/Audi strongsuit.

See I don't mindlesslessly follow the leader and say Audi's have no faults - do it?
  • mdhsmdhs Posts: 3
    Who did you contact and what was your approach to be reimbursed for your brakes. I just had mine replaced for $800 And they still are making a lot of noise.
    Thanks for any input you may have !
  • roadddog53roadddog53 Pasadena, CAPosts: 7
    I just hit 14K miles on the car, and took it in for service last friday.

They quoted me $840 to replace the front brakes and rotors.

I said, "there's no way the rotors have worn out after 14K miles!"

and they said that's the only way to get rid of the noise i've been getting.

I'd like to know what the first guy said to get reimbursed as well.
  • asa2asa2 Posts: 23
    Hi all-I have an 08 ML 350 that I love but we need to get my wife a new car-something with 4 wheel drive as we are both on the road alot, sometimes with a family of 5, sometimes on our own for work in wintry weather.

I rode with a friend who got the 09 Q7 and I thought it was an awesome layout interior-wise, but couldn't help but notice the seats are really uncomfortable. Does anyone else find them to be ridiculously hard after owning/riding in something else? Do they "wear" in a bit after use? I liked the car alot for her b/c it was more like a wagon than a truck but after riding in it, compared to the ML, don't think I could last from here in NJ up to VT to ski. It just sort of irked me. Perhaps they have some sort of premium seating option they did not get? I of course did not mention it to friend as we were driving...I used to have an X5 and that was okay comfort wise, but maybe we'll stick with the GL for now. Just curious about others thoughts on the seating and if there are options that make it worthwhile? Thanks
  • When I bought my q7 I had the same concern on seat comfort BUT once they break in they are very comfortable.

The issue I had with my Q7 is that the interior electronics (MMI) are not sealed and if you spill even a little water on them which is easy to do with the poor design of a cup holder directly above and tilted towards the unsealed MMI electronics....

Once the MMI is shorted-out AUDI claims no responsibility and charge you $1000 to replace maybe $100 in electronics.

Audi is very polite BUT arrogant... So they politely tell u to go pound salt

I love how the card drives BUT AUDI has horrible customer service and if I were you I would stay with MB or look at BMW..

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!
  • stoakstoak Posts: 1
    We have an older q7 but we got it in part because of the seats. Thought it was more comfortable than the BMW. GL was definitely nicer.

We have found that little things are constantly going wrong with our Q7 and service has gotten poorer over the years (our 3rd Audi).

Best of all the SUVs we tried on snow (important in Alaska).

Hesitate to bring it up because it was a heated argument before but the center cup holders are horribly placed for us. I will just say that we are not capable of not spilling drinks placed there with kids and a dog. Can't use the cup holders or it costs us a grand every time we have a spill. The BMW is much better designed for this and it is not a problem for the GL. We will probably turn it in for the GL.
  • grn95grn95 Posts: 48
    I still cant seem to understand the break issues. Years ago I swore to never buy a GM car ever again as the brakes would always need replacing around 20k. Here is a $50k vehicle and I am going to have to replace the brakes at 15k and it will cost over $800... That is absolutely ridiculous. I have a Japanese made Pathfinder and I finally replaced the front pads only at 68k!! Rotors were fine, bake brakes are fine, and I couldnt have went longer on the front pads. Total cost $40 for me to replace the pads with Ceramic Pads. And back to some posts around page 15 or 16 of this discussion, I see nothing Audi Maintenance Package is going to do aside from oil changes for $500. Made the mistake of ASSuming the AMP would take care of all maintenance (brakes, etc) for 3 years. Brakes are "maintenance" items. It should be called the $500 Audi Oil Change Package. All in all so far I love this vehicle, major complaint so far is the clear coat on the roof. It is somewhat rough not smooth like the rest of the vehicle. Talking with dealer and hope to bring it in soon. It has no visual impact thankfully and with the Panorama roof there isnt much of it anyway.
  • grn95grn95 Posts: 48
    Re: Seats being uncomfortable, in my opinion they are extremely comfortable. Quite firm and supportive. No complaints at all aside from they make me want to sleep while driving with the heat on the seats in the winter.
  • afshinhafshinh Posts: 1
    I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM WITH MY MMI.
    I HAVE A 2008 Q7(SINCE 6 MONTHS) . THE MMI COMPLETELY TURNED OFF.
    DEALER TOLD ME ITS NOT COVERED BECAUSE THIS COULD HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY A SPILL. THEY ASKED FOR $885 + TAX.
    THE MANAGER AGREED TO GIVE ME 50% OFF THE PART.

I CALLED A SECOND DEALER AND THE FIRST THING THEY ASKED ,AFTER I TOLD THEM ABOUT THE MMI , "DID YOU SPILL ANYTHING ON IT?"

I CALLED AUDI CUSTOMER CARE AND THEY TOLD ME THEY CAN ONLY HONOR THE 50% OFF AND NOTHING ELSE.

I TOLD THEM ITS A DESIGN FLAW .
    IT SEAMS LIKE ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. BUT THEY DIDNT CARE.

I AGREE WITH YOU COMPLETELY THAT AUDI DOES HAVE HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY DONT STAND BEHIND THERE PROBLEMS.

HOW DID YOU GET THEM TO PAY YOU FOR THE FIRST TIME THE MMI BROKE DOWN?

THANKS