Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi Q7 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rbirns1rbirns1 Posts: 203
    Because I would rather not be without my car for a few days. If I can avoid that hassle and just turn the car in as is, without being gouged by Audi Financial, that would be a good thing. If I were to save some money in the process (agreed unlikely), I would consider it small payment for my troubles.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    That's fair enough. Surely, your time has value and can be put into the cost equation.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • doctoothdoctooth Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to fill both tanks on a 2009 Q7 3.0 TDI with Adblue? I know Audi has an emergency container that can be purchased that will add 1 gal. but not completely fill both tanks. Thank you
  • I am in the market for a nw SUV. I have narrowed my choices down to the Audi Q7 and the Acura MDX. I was wondering if anyone had any insights to help me make a decision. Thanks for the help!
  • Too bad Audi doesn't follow Volvo's lease lead, they provide $1,000 (USD); in end of Lease Insurance,

and yes, it even covers the tire wear !
  • kerryjthkerryjth Posts: 67
    I am getting rid of my '07 Q7 next month .. I was a 1st time Audi owner.

My net feeedback is ...If you want high quality customer service and product go with the MDX ( or X5, Murano or Volvo )... If u have fallen in love with Q7 .. buy it ( pay below invoice - plenty of Q7s in stock ) but your set expectations VERY low on customer service and product quality and HOPE u have no problems with the vehicle.

Check edmunds on Q7 maintenance section ... I wish I had read it prior to buying Q7 i.e. Q7 MMI
  • My answer is NO! After having owned this car for the past 2.75 years, I am extremely happy that my lease is coming to an end. Initially the car was great, once I hit the two year mark, things started to fall apart. The squeak/rattling in the sunroof, battery died twice (dealership didn't do a required service repair), replaced the brake pads at a cost close to $1,000, etc. I also have the Audi Service plan but as everyone says, that covers nothing except the scheduled maintenence. Service in most dealerships is horrendous, if you must get the Q7 I would suggest that you buy it at Princeton Audi, if you are in the NJ area, or at least get it serviced there. They are more courteous and accomodating (in addition to being less expensive.) Its been my experience (as well as a good number of people that I have spoken with) that Bell Audi charges an arm and a leg for everything and also has reps that act like they have a stick up their a$$. This will definitely be my last Audi, its been a headache for a while now. I would suggest you take a good look at the X5, slightly smaller but service and performance, much better. I also agree with the members of this board that the Japanese cars, such as the Lexus' trump all of them, but the ride is too soft for me and the handling a little soft as well.
  • iquaiqua Posts: 7
    I just about to buy my end-of-leased Audi Q7. My choices were to buy this car or replace it with leasing Q5. Q5 is too small. I drove MDX a couple time. It's a different car compare to Q7 all together. It's a Honda. I drive Q7 because I love Audi's machine, can;t compare it with driving MDX or other Japanese cars. Audi could cost more in maintenance . The brake is the first to replace, then the tires since this is heavy car. MDX is light, you can tell when you drive it. I can't stand MDX/Lexus shifting gear, like a jigsaw. So all come to who you are. If you're Audi.. you will love it. But if not you will despite it to the single little problem. In my case I will question anything about MDX.
  • I'm not sure why people are being rude to each other on here. We're all here for the same reason. Anyway - I don't think the person meant that the cup holder interior is tilted forward. They meant that the front wall of the cup holder is shorter than the back side - which when you think about it is kind of crazy. It's only a couple of inches tall already and for God's sake - you're moving forward most of the time with the vehicle. All it takes is one not-so-gentle tap of the (hard core) brakes on this car and the cup goes flying. IF someone pulls out in front of you - it's not your fault. I currently have the same problem with the MMI being broken in my Q7 and am taking it in for repairs Monday. I came on here to research if this is a common problem because it baffles me that if a drop of liquid falls onto that are it causes thousands of dollars of damage. You're moving in a vehicle with liquid potentially a few inches from a (now I find out) very sensitive and delicate area. I would NEVER have allowed liquids in my car in that cupholder if I knew the control panel was that sensitive. After all - aren't SUV's created for the family on the go that needs space and comfort, while still being "rugged"? Other than this I LOVE MY CAR!! I have had many luxury vehicles from Cadillac (won't ever buy another) to many Lexus (Lexi?) (which were great) IF this MMI breaks - you can't use any of the controls for the NAV, the stereo, the car in general - nothing. It is poor design to have put it next to a potentially "wet" area if there isn't a way to seal it better. They should at least have a sticker there with a warning. My lifestyle has always been the same but I have never had this problem in a car before.
  • kerryjthkerryjth Posts: 67
    I had several posts on this and some of the respondent seemed to be AUDI employees from their emotiional defense of audi's poor design.

Net is AUDI makes a good product BUT they are ARROGANT and will not admit mistakes...

Make sure to fight any suggestion of u paying to fix MMI due to a spill... go to AUDI USA HQ if the dealer pushes back....

this is a visiible cutometr sat issue ... no new news to them so if they feign ignorance call them on it

GOOD LUCK
  • Missed this email, I had 22K miles on the vehicle. What bothered me was that I had the car inspected (NY State) in Feb and they checked the brakes and said nothing. If I knew the pads were worn so much, I would have done something then.

That being said, I still love my Audi.
  • I have 32,000 miles on my Q7. I have put two sets of brakes on this truck. My last time at the dealer the service guy let it slip that the brakes were NOT to spec. So they put brakes that can't truly support the weight of this truck. I noticed from day one that I always had brake dust on the rims. That was a sign and the squeaking.This is the fifth Audi that we have had, never have we had the problems with the others.I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER AUDI. :mad:
  • Add to the list of problems: leakage from the massive sunroof...we had a seal fail on the sunroof drain and it allowed water to leak into the headliner and floorboard (via the A-piller)...my wife's friend had a similar problem with her Q...oh well...counting down until the lease is over... :mad:
  • arriearrie Posts: 312
    I'm new to Audi Q7 discussion as I have owned the vehicle only for 3 days now. Brake wear issue caught my eye though and after reading the car manual (or part of it) one question came to my mind:

Is there some sort of trend that people with severe brake pad/rotor wear issue would live in northern states, i.e. in snow and ice during winter months?

It would be nice if people would mention this in their postings.

I'm thinking about this because from the car manual I understand that the ESP (Electronic Stability Program) uses brakes for slip control, i.e. there is no differential locks. I'm not sure but I think this really is the case. This would mean that in areas with snow and ice in winter time brake pads and rotors would wear much faster because the slip between wheels is controlled by applying brake on the wheel which is slipping. And the driver would probably even notice this, just wonders how nicely the Quatro work on slippery surfaces.

Manual also states that if you drive over certain speed with wipers ON the system makes brake pads to periodically "touch" rotors to keep then clean. Manual also states that the driver wont even know this but as the pads touch they will experience a little bit wear. This would also add to brake wear.

Just my thinking...

Arrie.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,250
    For $125 you can buy front and rear pads for your audi. Lifetime warranty. You will need a mechanic who will replace just the pads as needed -- take the old pads back and get a credit. There are lots of autoparts stores with these available. you can also get them online.
  • Where are you finding pads with a lifetime warranty for only $125? I would love to know, because at 34K miles I am now in need of my 2ND set of brakes for my Q7.
  • Has anyone yet turned in a Q7 from lease? If so, what were your experiences? What did they try to charge you with? Did the dealer try to get you to buy it? Did they offer a good deal for buying or leasing a new one? I saw that Audi is offering $5000 towards the purchase of a 2009 Q7, plus $4000 manufacter to dealer cash (this is on the Edmunds site as well).
    Check the search engines " lifetime brake pads audi q7". Autozone had some and there are a number of quality after market manufacturers that have them. Brake pads are easy to replace -- even on an audi. Any local repair shop can handle the job. You don't need special knowledge -- just good skills and tools. As far as warranty concerns -- the brakes aren't warrantied by audi anyway.
  • rdawsrdaws Posts: 7
    It isn't about the pads, my friends. It is the width of the rotors. These are evidently very thin and they're soft. The pads are actually creating grooves in the rotors that can over time can cause brake failure. Audi went with this design to eliminate the squeal that has plagued the audi line. Too bad they went with undersized wimpy rotors...
    If you go to partstrain.com you can find new rotors from low to high prices. Can't say whether they will do the job but from what i've seen of dealer prices you could replace rotors and pads every 15k miles with labor for 25% of dealer price for one brake job. Don't know if these rotors are noisy but you can always turn up the volume on the sound system a bit. Check it out or not. Not recommending anything -- just an option. Of course, if you can arrord a Q7, what's a few grand for a brake job from time to time. Enjoy the free coffee in the customer lounge.