Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi Q7 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rbirns1rbirns1 Posts: 219
    I also have had the oil pressure light go on a few times. Engine starts, car beeps and red oil pressure light goes on. Shut down immediately and check oil, dipstick looks fine. Start engine again with no more problem. This has happened 3 times in the past month. Should I have it checked immediately or wait until next scheduled service? Car has 6K miles, initial oil change at 5K (by dealer about 2 months ago).
  • Take it in for service. If nothing else, you will have a record of the issue associated with your car just in case you have more serious problems in the future.
  • california7california7 Posts: 19
    I'd have it checked out. They KNOW there's something going on by now, but I don't know if they've determined what it is each and every time? I was told my light was intermittently coming on due to a software issue, and after that was supposedly done and it still happened, they kept it for two weeks and then told me they'd determined it was a "weak spring" in the oil pump (and that another Q7 owner had brought hers in with the same problem, although I don't know if they replaced her engine). So I got a call today to tell me that my engine is done being replaced (car's now been in the shop a total of about 5 wks) and is ready to be picked up. Don't know what all of this means to YOU, but I will definitely post again in a few days just to let people know what they said in the end, what they did with the warranty overall (car has 6,500 miles) and what they did to compensate me for the hassle factor (they said someone from Audi will be contacting me re that). My main concern right now is that I want to know how they are so sure that the brand new factory engine they just put it won't have a weak spring.
  • seanc2seanc2 Posts: 2
    I spoke with audi today and they told me a new engine would be installed starting Monday and I should have it back by Wed. seeing is believing. Also the ticking noise was coming from the engine. I was also told that audi is only seeing this problem with a very few of the first 3.6 engines released. How many is a very few? Keep me posted as I will keep you posted.
    OK, what's up with THAT?!!!! Its either great or very weird to see them being so jump-to-it to replace an entire engine this early on. My engine took 3 wks from the day they ordered it to when they called to say it was done. I have not picked it up yet but I am waiting to hear back from someone. The dealership said someone from Audi would be calling me to talk to me and make sure they did "something" for all the inconvenience.

Keep me posted and I'll keep you posted as to the 1)explanation of what went wrong necessitating such a huge surgery on the car and 2) how they can be assured that the new engine isn't going to have the same problem.

What did they tell you would happen to your warranty as a result of this engine replacement? I mean we should be getting an extension such that the engine warranty begins again, as it isn't even the same engine anymore, eh?
  • hoosbesthoosbest Posts: 39
    Interesting. I bought my 3.6 Premium Q7 in Feb 2007 - but is was an August 06 build date. My engine oil pressure light goes out upon starting once every 2 weeks or so and then off. Stop the car and restart and everything is fine. Today I saw the light go on and the engine did seem to be making a funny sound while idling. Stopped it and restarted and fine again. Unlike many of you, if they tell me it is a new engine, I will be pursuing new car under any Lemon Law I can find. Audi had no answers for the three times they looked at this. They replaced a switch once and also verified that the software update has been completed.
    Hey there hoosbest, yes, let me know what they end up telling you. I'm very interested. I never had a funny sound in conjunction with the oil pressure light, but its coming on was, like yours, intermittent and only upon first starting it in the morning. Yet they replaced the entire engine. Let me know what they say. Thanks
    Car goes back in next week. They will test. Dealer says he has already replaced one engine. If that is the answer, my pursuit of a new replacement 2008 will begin. I had the entire dash removed to replace the defective stepping motors that clicked all the time, and now a new engine? I love this car- but when I bought it in Feb 2007, I didn't realize the dealer (who shipped the car) was sending a first month 3.6 production car. (aug 2006)
    Reply to hoosbest - So, what state are you in? Just curious. There seems to be a thread of a few people here on the Edmunds site who have the 3.6 with right at about 6000 miles who are having this problem and a couple whose engines have been replaced. Do you mean to say (you didn't realize that you got a first run 3.6 engine (Aug)) that you've heard something about Audi having problems with that grouping of engines? Just wondering what you've been told.

And I'm also curious - clicking of stepping motors, is that the occasional soft clicking that happens when you start up the car that sounds like its coming from the dash? If so, what does that mean and did they FIX it? I have that issue and haven't yet mentioned it.
    I am in North Carolina. Yes - you are correct in your post. My car has 2000 miles (we don't drive many miles) and have heard that Audi is suggesting replacing a number of engines in a certain "bin" that have periodic oil pressure failure - which could lead to engines going bad prematurely. I will find out more in a week - but our dealer has already done one replacement, and beginning to read more about it all over the place.

As for the stepping motors - it was an occasional soft or loud clicking from the dash while the venitlation was working. The sound level is dependent on which motors or how many are defective. Again - this was a problem on cars made from Aug - Nov. This is a service bulletin out for it. We had 8 of the 11 replaced - and now the car is quiet. To replace them, the entire dash has to come apart. They did fix finally get it right after two tries...but the fix did work and no rattles yet. Just between the dash and now a possible engine...I will request a replacement car. However, I do love the car.
  • bach63bach63 Posts: 18
    For all of you Q7 owners, they are having the same issue with the 3.6 engine on the Passat as well, and appears to go across a broad range of build dates. On the Passat they have been saying that the wrong strength bolt has been used on the oil pump, and eventually fails, causing all kinds of problems. VW has also been replacing engines for this issue; I have read of at least 4 cases in the Passat on another forum. As a Passat owner, I came over here looking to see if this is a widespread problem, and it seems that maybe it is.
    Hi bach63. I have a Q7 3.6 that's just had its engine replaced and I was told it was a weak spring in the oil pump but that replacing the engine would ensure that the problems stop there. Wondering if you know about the issue with the Passats where you say "eventually fails causing all kinds of problems" because even though replacing the engine is a BIG fix, does the damage extend beyond that? In other words, what's next or later?
  • lifeonmarslifeonmars Posts: 1
    Hi bach63, I am currently renting a 2006 Passat 3.6l 4 Motion. I am undergoing my second engine replacement in 13 months. Always the same scenario is happening, engine light comes up, but car is still working fine. I call my dealer to book a service appointment and the dealer tells me not to worry about it, they will fix it when I will come in for service, a week later.

In the meantime, the engine starts to make a pinging noise like if you were using poor quality gas, and there is a spongy delay feeling everytime you depress the accelerator. A few days later, the oil pressure light is now coming on and you have about 5-10 minutes of engine life left, the engine starts behaving like a diesel engine and the thing blows in your face exactly like a Fomula 1 engine (blue smoke and all). I never asked to be a Formula 1 driver...Wanted to share this with you.
  • :lemon: Just back from our FOURTH trip to the dealership (tried University 3x, Barrier once), and they said they'd fixed it this time... but, no, when we brake to a stop within 10 minutes of starting the car, it sputters and dies. This often causes a jerky performance if you don't have the brake on very well, so is a bit dangerous if you're close behind the car ahead of you. Has anyone else had this problem? We're close to making a lemon law claim on this thing, it's our fourth Audi (A4s, allroad, then Q7) and we've not had problems before. Any ideas? the dealer sees engine codes and does what they say but this still keeps happening...
  • baxterdownbaxterdown Posts: 36
    It is my understanding that the voice dial feature of the BT does not allow you to dial a number via voice: For example "Dial 212 569 9004" Is this true?

P.S.
    Moderator. I didn't know where to post my question... Feel free to move it to another thread if I'm posting in the wrong place.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You may want to try Bluetooth Technology.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • hi all, i had same problem (low oil pressure, low oil warning ) so i called the dealer (mission viejo,california) and they told me software upgrade would fix the problem...
    so brought my car in at 4300 miles (also had 5k serviced) seems ok now... didn't they tell u guys about this software upgrade recall ???
  • baxterdownbaxterdown Posts: 36
    Anyone knows where I can download a PDF of the MMI/Nav owner's manual?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Give Where To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online a try!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ody02tjkody02tjk Posts: 66
    I have only had my Q7 10 days, and all of the threads here have me quite worried. I have had some hesitation while accelerating, but thought it was just a stiff gas peddle. Can any one tell me where you can determine the build date for my Q7?
  • If you just call the service department of your Audi dealership and have them pull up your car on their computer system, it is there "build date" I believe is how its referred to. Also, anytime you take your car in for service you'll see it on your invoice as such. Tell me, do you have a 3.6 or 4.2 engine? I just had my engine replaced in the 3.6 @ approx. 6500 miles.
    I have the 3.6, and with less than 600 miles. I know that the car was transferred from a dealer in southeastern VA to the dealer in NO VA. I am not sure how long it had been at the other dealer. Since I wanted the Garnet Red, which seemed hard to come by for my local MD dealers, I thought that mine may be older, and could have been built last year.
  • mrsrdbmrsrdb Posts: 2
    I bought my Q7 in January from a dealership in Texas. I have had some problems with it from day one. My side assist has just now been fixed (some time lapse due to my relocation to a new state); however, it went out the first month. The fog lights cracked after a winter freeze (which Audi replaced because they seemed to crack exactly the same way at the exact same time after my owning it less than 2 weeks. Also my diligence and persistence with the issue helped. My brakes make this loud screach when I brake, which is embarrasing. The door started to make this click noise when I closed it. Just got that fixed. Now, my main problem is with service. I was told that only a Certified Q7 technician can work on the Q7s, and had to wait all day for a first oil change due to that fact. However, I am now in Indiana and find that they don't seem to know what they are doing when it comes to the servicing of this vehicle. They told me that they could "not duplicate" the sound when they checked my brakes. Go figure. This is the third time that I am in with problems. When they fixed the sound from the door, they seemed to have forgotten that this car is supposed to be sleek and elegant. Funny, the same door that had the sound, now has no sound, but is offline from the rest of the car. It does not line up with where the door is supposed to be, and I hear much road noise.They had to order the side assist part, and I was told that this is their "first" side assist fix. As well, after getting my vehicle back, my tail light seems to be out of the socket and medal underneath my truck and in between the tail pipes and the trunk of the vehicle seems to be "smashed" up. It is really weird. It is almost as though a little monster crawled into that space and crumbled up the medal. I also have several scratches on my hind driver and passenger fenders. I immediately called them to shed light on these issues. I was told by the service advisor that they had not touched the bumper because the side assist repair did not require it. Ok, hmmmmm, so how all of a sudden does my $70K vehicle have all these problems? I also called Audi Customer Care and was told that they are not advocates for the customer, and they only handle warranty related issues. So, I asked the rep who is there for the customer, because I doubt the technician is going to fess up. He responds to me by saying that whatever the dealership diagnoses is what they rely on and that they are Audi,so they have to go with what the dealership says. Now, am I the only one that finds a problem with this? I am to going to meet with the dealership in the morning to go over this issue. I will report on my findings. Hopefully, we can come together and help each other out when it comes to the problems that we Q7 owners are facing. And I am very open to joining any group in filing a class claim against Audi should these problems persist and this vehicle in fact is a LEMON! And please, if anyone could shed some light in my situation, feel free. Thank you.
  • q7fanq7fan Posts: 1
    Do you know if your Garnet came from Va. Beach or Richmond? I ordered one from the former and if that's where it's from, can probably find build date.
  • Sounds like you have some problems with that car. It also sounds like your problems might be a little compounded because you've moved from one state to another, but if I were you, I'd research into which state's lemon laws are more beneficial to you and then maybe you should see about exercising your rights? I had some problems with mine - blind side assist, alignment, and also had to have my engine replaced! They are now replacing my car completely. The blind side assist was a fluke, I think, but they did have to repair it twice, but it works fine now, but I've had so many other intermittent problems, that they are just calling it quits and giving me a new car. Before it got to that point, however, they were willing to compensate me a couple of lease payments, etc. So, at the very least, you definitely SHOULD call Audi customer service, their national tollfree number (get it from your dealer) - call them and tell them that you want to start a case and tell them your problems. They were very good about working with me to make sure I still loved Audi in the end. Good luck
    I was told it came from VA Beach, but I have confirmation of that. I can check the sticker when I get home (on vacation through Sunday 7/8), and see who the originating dealer was. Did you order this car and turn it down? If so ,why?
  • mrsrdbmrsrdb Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. I have spoken with Audi Customer Care on each occassion, and they have been somewhat helpful, definitely documenting my issues. After taking my vehicle to another Audi to get it looked at, all of my concerns were valid. In fact, the dealership in Indiana damaged my door in some way. Now, the Indiana dealership said they would fix the damage; however, that still doesn't change the fact that they damaged my door. I spoke with Audi and they mediated the situation, and I took my truck back to that dealership and let them repair it, against my better judgement. Well, it is still not repaired properly. How do I go in for maintenance and end up with a Body Shop repair issue? The ending result is a formal complaint against the Audi dealership in Indiana, and a verbal guarantee that I will not give Audi any good recommendations when I am confronted about my vehicle, and I am always confronted. I think that it is a shame that such a nice vehicle has to suffer somewhat at the hands of designated Audi Servicers. My experience thusfar with Audi has been HORRIBLE, and I would not recommend this truck, at least at this stage of its development, to even my worst enemy! I really love my truck, but SERVICE has made this a nightmare and Audi sits back with its hands tied behind its back "yes, we can speak on your behalf, but we have no power to physically make them comply". I can speak for myself, you need to make them accountable and stand behind your customers. Well, at any rate, I am in the advertising field, and I will hit them where it hurts the most...PROFITS! They say word of mouth advertising is the cheapest form of advertising and can be your BEST or WORST! So far, I am their worst.
    The info on the sticker for my car was that it was ordered from the West Broad Audi dealership in Richmond, VA.
  • matnatmatnat Posts: 3
    Interesting that this engine issue has appeared. I also have a Q7 3.6 premium. Took delivery in February. I suspect its an early build date, will find out today. I to have had this low oil pressure light come on recently. Actually it started about 3 days ago. Start car, low oil pressure warning, turn off car, restart car, alarm clears. I called the dealership from my car and told them about it. They said it was something they were seeing but to be safe make sure it has oil. I stopped the car, checked the oil, it was fine but to be safe bring it in next week. The following day (friday) same thing occurs. Since I was dropping my kids off close to the dealership I decided to put the onus on them to confirm that this was not a major thing. As an engineer, low oil pressure in rotating machinery always spells trouble in my experience. Anyway, they check it out themselves, give it a nice wash job and I am on my way. 2 hours later I pick my kids up drive done the road, and wham, car shuts down not to be started again. Right now I am awaiting word as to what has occurred with it. I just called to find out if they had any info yet, my contact was at lunch. I asked the service tech I was speaking with about this issue and he told me they have replaced one engine to date with this issue.

Nice car, nice ride, I will be interested to see how they react.