Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi Q7 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You could reinvigorate the Design Flaws & Foibles discussion if you post your problem there!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mml7mml7 Member Posts: 55
    > I love my Q7 too BUT AUDI messed up and they need to admit it and not make
    > $1000+ per MMI failure due to spilled coffee from a cupholder which is ABOVE the
    > eectronics for the MMI !!!
    >
    > They made a stupid design error and should agree to fix it and not penalize the
    > customer !!!!

No offense meant here, but...You spill coffee onto the MMI controller causing it to short out and you're blaming Audi? Yes, it might not be the best location of those electronics and the replacement costs are [typically for Audi] ridiculously high, but how about taking some responsibility?
    > So to prevent...
    > Put a 20W50 oil
    > Do not overfill ( 6 liters enougth)

Just an FYI to anyone tempted to do this, note that there are NO Audi 502.00 approved 20W-50 oils. For a complete list of approved oils, you can download this PDF from Audi's site:

Audi approved engine oil listing
    > I got an email tonight from someone who changed their Q7's oil and wants to know
    > if/how they can reset the service reminder light without having to go to the dealer.
    > Has anyone figured this out?

Unlike some other Audis (e.g. B7 A4), the Q7 doesn't, AFAIK, allow for the resetting of the service interval without either visiting the dealer or without the use of a scanning tool such as a VAG-COM. If you have a VAG-COM (or access to one), it takes about 10 seconds to do.
    > Question, has this happened on the 4.2 engines or just the 3.6? Is it a problem fixed
    > in the '08s? Anyone know? About to take delivery of an '08 4.2.......I know it is a
    > great engine, I believe it is the same one in the A8.....?

According to the TSB, this problem was restricted to only 2007 3.6L V6 engines from VINs 000001 - 062000
    > Are you a planted AUDI employee? C'mon admit it ...

LOL. Hardly. Any mod can check my profile email address and IP.

>
    > It is common sense ye of double digit IQ (offense meant) .

none taken.

>
    > Liquids and electronics so not mix. Explain why all the electronics in the engine are
    > sealed from the RAIN !!!

This goes without saying. I already stated that it wasn't a particularly good design. But again *Audi* didn't spill liquid into that area. You (or your family member) did. I still fail to see how it is *Audi's* responsibility to pick up the repair tab

>
    > Did you go to school in a short bus?

Nope, but I don't particularly care for the typical mentality in the US that thinks that everything is someone elses fault
    but how about taking some responsibility?

I think there is enough blame to go around but I also think it's a valid complaint. Imagine that your computer came with a cupholder attached to the keyboard. If you use that cupholder, you will inevitably and eventually spill liquid onto the keyboard. Yes, you are to blame for actually using the cupholder feature but the design cannot be defended.

At the very least, placing the MMI controls in such a vulnerable position would have required proper insulation to protect against the inevitable spillage.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I'm not saying that it's not a valid complaint, but the repetitive messages demanding that Audi "fix it and stop blaming the customers !!!!!!!!!!!!! [sic]" and "AUDI is just not being FAIR !!!" are a bit excessive. The fact is, Audi did not spill the coffee/water onto the MMI board not once, but twice, in 7 months.
  • kerryjthkerryjth Member Posts: 67
    Are you a planted AUDI employee? C'mon admit it ...

It is common sense ye of double digit IQ (offense meant) .

Liquids and electronics so not mix. Explain why all the electronics in the engine are sealed from the RAIN !!!

Did you go to school in a short bus?

f you have electronics in a Car do not put them BELOW a cupholder without ensuring the unit is sealed so trhat when a liguid spills it sdoes not short out the whole system and cost the CUSTOMER a $1000 !!!.

It really is that SIMPLE!

AUDI messed up and won't admit it.

For a $55+K car a customer should expect more!

So as far as taking some responsibility I think that "To Do" is for AUDI .

Pls ignore my emotional response - hey but $1000 bucks is a $100 bucks!!

Tidestar nailed it ! It really is common sense....
    are a bit excessive

Agreed. And that's already been pointed out so I think it's safe to move on now! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Are you a planted AUDI employee?

That's a bit over the top. And, BTW, the bickering stops here. We'll stick to the topic and drop the personal jabs.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • skickimskickim Member Posts: 1
    At least Audi should put-up an warning sign that reads "Extreme Care when placing drinks on our cupholders, they may cause irreversible damage to MMI"
  • vip9vip9 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the heads-up on this issue. Another "weird design decision" checkmark.

On the other hand, if you spill a drink pretty much in ANY car onto the seat and spoil the upholstery, you wouldn't expect a dealer and/or manufacturer to honor the warranty in that case and replace the seat, would you?

Did you consider filing an insurance claim?
    I

Only an AUDI employee would have even read page 126 and 127 of the manual!!!

Most people who buy Audis are VERY busy and do not waste time reading car manuals....

Audi messed up !! No other car has this issue !! AUDI does not have cupholdres in german version of the cars and the design was an after thought and VERY poorly designed...

Is this another 1980's phantom gas pedal accelrator issue that AUDI will try to sweep under the rug? Have they not ;learned their lesson .. RESPECT your customer !!!

They need to steo p to the issue !!
    > At least Audi should put-up an warning sign that reads "Extreme Care when placing
    > drinks on our cupholders, they may cause irreversible damage to MMI"

This is not a bad idea provided that they don't use the same type of labels that are used for the airbag labels on the sunvisor (e.g. permanent). Audi should also consider instructing the salesmen/women to point it out during delivery.

Regardless, you'll find on pages 126 and 127 in the cupholder section of the owner's manual that Audi has printed the following disclaimer 3 times accompanied by a yellow circle with exclamation point:

"! Note:
    Only drink containers with lids should be carried in the cupholder. Liquid could spill out and damage your vehicle's electronic equipment or stain the upholstery, etc."
    Good idea .. I have a $500 deductible but will see if it will work.

but if you go to the basics... spilling liquids in a car happens... I wipe it up immediately but it still shorted the MMI... The unit should be sealled and it was NOT...

They should do a RECALL ...
    No disrespect but you are most likely experiencing something in the Market Research world called sampling bias... the Audi owners you know may be more the techy types vs. the mainstream Audi buyers who are not....

Most are too busy working in high pressure jobs whose renumeration is such that they can afford a Audi Q7...

thx...
    > Only an AUDI employee would have even read page 126 and 127 of the manual!!!
    >
    > Most people who buy Audis are VERY busy and do not waste time reading car manuals....

I must admit that I am amused that you think that I'm an Audi employee. In actual point of fact, I work in IT for one of the hospitals in the Boston area. I am very technical in nature and in training. As such, I read the manuals for pretty much everything I own or buy -- even the toaster manual (believe it or not). To not read through the manual of a $61K car is not something in my nature. Do I expect my wife to read the manual? Not a chance. I'd actually be somewhat surprised if she even knew where it was. In any case, it literally took me less than 5 minutes last night to find those paragraphs.

> Audi messed up !! No other car has this issue !! AUDI does not have cupholdres
    > in german version of the cars and the design was an after thought and VERY
    > poorly designed...

Off hand, I can't think of any German car that truly has good cup holders. They always seem to be afterthoughts -- storage bins too (which the Q7 is sorely lacking).

> Is this another 1980's phantom gas pedal accelrator issue that AUDI will
    > try to sweep under the rug? Have they not ;learned their lesson ..
    > RESPECT your customer !!!

Totally unrelated to the MMI design flaw, but the "phantom gas pedal accelrator [sic]" or unintended acceleration issue was a total media fabrication. It is similar to the NBC Dateline 'expose' on exploding GM gas tanks. In the case of the Audi 5000, 60 minutes' 'expert' actually doctored the car by drilling a hole in the transmission and pumped in compressed air (or fluid). After studying the problem for years, the NHTSA fully exonerated Audi. Don't believe me? Just google "60 minutes audi 5000".
    Only an AUDI employee would have even read page 126 and 127 of the manual!!!

For what it's worth, the Audi owners I know do read those manuals - cover to cover - and likely more than once! And they don't work for the company. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    the Audi owners you know may be more the techy types

That's true. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thought I'd post this in case anyone was interested. It's the recommended maintenance schedule as published in the Bentley manual for 2007 Q7s.

Very Useful.. thx :)
  • feliksnyfeliksny Member Posts: 11
    Hi all,

I just got '08 Q7 with Audi Care program for $600.
    Does anyone know if brake pads and windshield wipers are part of free replacement as well?
    $600? Price went up I guess. I wonder if anything was added. As it is my brake pads are NOT covered and will cost app. $1K to replace. :cry:

Not sure about wiper blades.
    I just got '08 Q7 with Audi Care program for $600.
    Does anyone know if brake pads and windshield wipers are part of free replacement as well?

No, AFAIK, Audi Care stopped covering wear and tear items around the 2006MY. However, I believe that wear and tear items are covered for the first year / 12K miles under the normal warranty. Check your warranty booklet or try giving your salesman a call.
  • alanosmanalanosman Member Posts: 1
    Hi there acharmer - have you had anymore issues with your air suspension failing. We have the same problem over and over. Audi dealership says that there is a glitch. They have replaced sensors and computer and it still does it randomly on startup. The system looks like it has failed and takes 3 or 4 starts to reset.

Wondering if it is a common occurance for you. We love ours otherwise.
    During a 15K visit around Christmas, my dealer pushed me hard to have the brakes replaced ($$$$). They said only 4 mm left on the pads. And, if I did it then, I would have saved about $100 by not having to replace the sensors.
    I opted out at the time, but now, 3 + months and 5K miles later, I am worried that the brakes are all worn out and I somehow missed it.

Should there be a light on the dashboard when the brakes are worn out?

Thanks.
  • acharmeracharmer Member Posts: 6
    Hi alonsman - sorry for the delay getting back. Been a while since I dropped in the forum, but time well spent in my Q7 :D with @ 21K miles on the odo :shades: in 21 months & its still the same taut, controlled ride.

I had the air suspension failure that ONE time & it never recurred. I don't even recall going to the dealer after re-starting the car & finding the air susp reset itself back to original.

I did learn something from tail-hatch snafus around Oct 07 - there's about a million lines of software code that's running all this stuff. So, the dealer reproggred the tail-hatch & presto, it worked neat for the most part (unless it bumped across an obstacle). They'd even listed this 'tail-hatch not closing' fault as a 'known' bug with fix (sounding even more like a bad os on a laptop ;) )

The best bet is the reprogg, which it sounds like you're doing right - I've even done the dynamic change setting while sitting in traffic (just trying to check how far it compares with the monster truck in the adjacent lane) & it worked reliably.

Your Q7 air susp episodes appear to be a one off deal - just ask the dealer to give you a replacement equivalent mileage Q7 with air susp :D Hell ...even Hondas seem to come with some air susp technology these days, so they've gotta keep you happy.

Cheers,
  • kentmoonkentmoon Member Posts: 44
    My wife was driving Q7 over the weekend, and she had sudden acceleration without warning. She was able to bring it under control, but she said that it was very scarely. After that two warning lights came on, so she is taking to a dealer today.

Didn't Audi used to have this probelm? Anybody had an experience like this?
    My wife was driving Q7 over the weekend, and she had sudden acceleration without warning. She was able to bring it under control, but she said that it was very scarely. After that two warning lights came on, so she is taking to a dealer today.

Didn't Audi used to have this probelm? Anybody had an experience like this?

Does your wife, by any chance, drive with 2 feet? Could you report back when the dealer diagnoses this? As for the 'unintended acceleartion' reputation of older Audis, please be aware that that is/was a total 60 minutes media fabrication. Their so-called expert doctored the test car and Audi was cleared after a 2-3 year NHTSA investigation.
  • larislaris Member Posts: 11
    The sudden acceleration that happened in the Audi 5000 in the 80's and blown up by 60 minutes was proven to occur to women under 5'4" who could not properly reach the petals and therefore mistook the gas for the brake....( we had this car and Mum was 5'4" but never had this problem....)It's hard not to to hit the gas and race in the Q7 as it is so much fun to drive....perhaps she was making excuses for speeding??
  • kentmoonkentmoon Member Posts: 44
    Dealer wants to keep the car overnight, so I will let you know what the dealer says next day or so. My wife is a very good driver. No. She doesn't drive with 2 feel, and fact that two warning lights came of after that is the indication that something malfunctioned. BTW, after that incident, car didn't want to go any faster than 60 mph with erratic responses.

My entire family loves this card, and I was going to keep it after lease is up in one years, but I am having a second thought...
    Check out the BMW X5... a lot less customer complaints & it is faster and less bulky and more GREEN !! ...
  • audifan3audifan3 Member Posts: 25
    My car is in the shop for it's 15000 mile service (17500 actual). $500 for the service, and $1100 to replace all 8 pads AND sensors, and strangely enough, mine were down to 4mm too. Hmmm. New tires too and the only mfgr that has 265/50 R19's are Continental and a version of the Goodyear Eagle. All in, this service is going to run over $2500! Is this typical with other Q7 owners experience?
    :surprise:
    Wow, NEW tires after 17K miles??? And 4 mm? :) I wonder if that is their "standard" scare-all tactic. I decided not to change brakes then, and still running on the "4mm" - no lights and barely any squeaking.. BTW, if your Audi did NOT "warn" you about the brakes, your sensors s/b good and you do not have to pay for them. - That;s what they told me trying to persuade me to do it then... a whopping savings of about $100. :(

Which dealer "hosed" you for $2,5K???
  • ny_driverny_driver Member Posts: 22
    My father was driving his Q7 when the engine oil light went on. Yes, oil was low so he ran into a store and picked up some Castrol 5W-30 and added a quart. No problems now. I asked him if he got the synthetic motor oil and he said he didnt. He tried to find a 5w-40 but store only had 5w-30.

I looked on the Audi site and the approved motor oil for Castrol is a 5w-40. Does he need to get an oil change now or does a 5w-30 work even if it isnt synthetic.

Thanks,
  • ody02tjkody02tjk Member Posts: 66
    Has any one had any problems with ESP System Fault & Adaptive Light Defaults lights coming on? I have had this problem occur about 10 separate times, during the day, and at night, during the past 3 weeks. It seems to stay on for a short period of time, and then go away. Sometimes it is just the ESP Light that comes on, and sometimes it is both warning lights. I have brought it to the dealer, but, of course, the problem went away before we got to the service location. I have a 2007 Q7 3.6 Premium with about 12500 miles,
  • nachinachi Member Posts: 9
    Maybe I am nuts but I have 160 mile on my 2008 Q7 3.6 Premium and when i am doing slow braking when there is traffic it sounds like something is moving underneath the car. Sounds like something shifting back and forth. Braking t high speeds this does not occur. Anybody experiencing this. Maybe its the new brakes???
    Nachi, you may be feeling the fuel in the gas tank moving during braking. When I first experienced this with my previous SUV for the first time, I also thought I was going nuts :)
    Q7 has a similar "feature"

On the other hand, my brand-new at the time Q7 had "brake issues" where they squeaked and did other "weird" stuff that I would not expect from a new car - the dealer explained it as a "break-in". After a few weeks and a few hundred miles everything became "normal"
    My car is in the shop for it's 15000 mile service (17500 actual). $500 for the service, and $1100 to replace all 8 pads AND sensors, and strangely enough, mine were down to 4mm too. Hmmm. New tires too and the only mfgr that has 265/50 R19's are Continental and a version of the Goodyear Eagle. All in, this service is going to run over $2500! Is this typical with other Q7 owners experience?

Just did the 15K on our Q7 and had none of the wear issues you have. Because we had purchased AudiCare, our out of pocket expense for this service visit was covered. New tires and brakes @ 15K seems a bit extreme, but it all depends upon the tread wear on your tire. Check the depth on your tires. Are you at the wear bars? If so, time to replace them. Did the wear sensors go off? (i.e. warning in MFI?)
  • nachinachi Member Posts: 9
    How much is the audi care service. Can I get it after I have already have the car. I don't like to hear that after 15000 miles you need to throw so much money into a new car which would be going back to audi after 36 months anyway.
    I believe MSRP for AudiCare service in late 2006 was $500, and there were posts here that it is $600 now. I believe there is a wording that says when you can purchase it - including after the car purchase.

However, do not get all excited - there are only 3 or 4 service visits covered in the Audi Care, and brakes, tires, etc are all explicitely excluded from coverage.

5K miles service is included with the car I believe.
    So it only covers 15K, 25K and 40K or something like that - and only the "recommended" maintenance - so read your manual and do the math.
  • sqweebsqweeb Member Posts: 1
    we had the same problem with our Q7 4.2 premium. First time, after much screaming on my wifes part, Classic Audi of Eastchester NY did the fix gratis, but of course, it happened again, this time they insisted we pay about $1000 for new module. It is a tragically stupid design flaw that exists on all Audi models. Thing is, it does not even have to be beverage related, ie: throwing my wet umbrella across the console as I enter the car during a rainstorm, with droplets landing all over center console. Why is it that my sunroof never leaks, but a drop of any liquid on this console creats an automotive China Syndrome??

Call the National Highway Traffic Safety Authority at 888 327 4236. Follow the prompts, and you will be able to register your concern with a very helpful person. If enough people call in, or register thier complaints at www.nhtsa.gov, they might be able to force Audi into a recall situation. They need to insulate these consoles better, it is thier responsability. These inconveniences can lead to disasters, we can't just sit around and throw our money at the problem. Audi needs to own up to this, and only the squeaky wheel will get the grease.
    Great points ... AUDI dropped the ball and does not want to admit FAULT...

I will call the National Highway Traffic Safety Authority at 888 327 4236. Follow the prompts, and you will be able to register your concern with a very helpful person. If enough people call in, or register thier complaints at www.nhtsa.gov, they might be able to force Audi into a recall situation.

THANKS !!!
    THANKS AGAIN !!

I called the National Highway Traffic Safety Authority at 888 327 4236. this morning and they were very professional . They indicated they would have their engineers look into the complaint and get back to me with a questionnaire in a few weeks. The NHTSA guy asked me when my MMI goes out while I am driving does it effect the other power/electrical systems i.e. steering, brakes etc.... It had not BUT who knows what can happen with this system. He also indicated other complaints were filed and that the more complaints filed the more likely they will require AUDI to do a RECALL. Not sure if that would get me my $1000 back.
    Had MIN Oil Level light go on after about 30 minutes city driving. I pulled over, checked the oil (I DID NOT GET THIS CAR TO OPEN THE HOOD AND CHECK OIL MYSELF, but anyway...) - looked good to me. Oil level was right in the middle of the indicated range on the dip-stick. When starting a car again after about 2 hours of running errands, all was OK for another 1/2 hour. :(

Then, after about 10 minutes highway driving, the light went away.

The situation pretty much repeated itself next day.

Took it in to my dealer - they found the car to be "a quart low" and added it - problem solved!

Well, correct me if I am wrong, a quart of oil should not just disappear in a car like a relatively new Q7. I am worried there is another problem somewhere, especially considering that after several attempts to fix the "OIL PROBLEM ON ENGINE START" issue, it is not really "fixed" - it still shows its ugly face - although not as often as before the latest fix. :( The dealer just took the easiest way out with this.
  • wilsbacherwilsbacher Member Posts: 4
    I have had my 2008 3.6 Premium for 2 months now and am experiencing a bizarre radio problem. The radio will cut out for a split second or so. This will happen every 10 or 15 minutes. I understand that will happen when listening to satellite radio due to an interruption in the signal, but it shouldn't happen when listening to the FM band.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    My guess would be the MMI system is causing the problem. The system is very temperamental. Any moisture or external impacts even minor ones can cause intermittent problems - as if it is shorted out and then all of a sudden it will start to work again.

My audi dealer suggested placing a towel near the shifter so that the MMI is protected from any moisture or impacts. Sounds crazy for a $50K+ car but that is what they suggested. I cute a hole in a small towel and placed it over the shifter and it seems to work. It is a black towel so it does not look too bad since it matches my interior.

Also I would suggest documenting all failures and conversations with the dealer and letting AUDI USA know ASAP. They tend to have selective memory on problems and strive to blame most issues on user error.

Good luck !
  • bhix100163bhix100163 Member Posts: 1
    Just had my 4.2 Premium 07' in for the same reason. It went out on radio, cd, sat, etc. They replaced the telephone module and tested, It works again, but very strange. Was under warranty.