Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi Q7 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• The audi engines have coolant heated throtle body. there is a buletin from audi that the gascets on the throtle body leak and coolant gets into cylinders and burns. you must have the engine looked at before you start leaking bad and one day booom goes engine and game over.
  • We took delivery of an 07 Audi Q7 3.6 on 1/9/08. 6 days of pure enjoyment later the adaptive suspension light came on, and 30 minutes later the check engine light came on, and finally a light for the esp illuminated :surprise: . The next day we dropped the car off at the dealer who provided us with a loaner q7 (after negotiation). Its been 3 days now and they can't figure out why there are certain faults being tripped in the computers sensors. Mass air flow sensor fault, engine control module, and fuel adaptation sensor fault? So we've got our fingers crossed!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,434
    I got an email tonight from someone who changed their Q7's oil and wants to know if/how they can reset the service reminder light without having to go to the dealer. Has anyone figured this out?

(Scott, I tried to reply to you but your email bounced - hope you see this!).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• THEY KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING !

AUDI knows!

My car engine was completly lost and i had to pay miself all expenses.

I imported the car from texas myself and local dealer didnt took any responsability .
    Only the mechanics were involved and i thank them !

Audi in germany only answered some evasive e-mails and etc etc.

I had to import all spares and pay the dealer all at my cost.

That oil pump is S H I T and audi knows the engine has a valve who retains the oil fro returning to sump that valve is defective and car has dry start ups after being stopped for one nigth or 6 h.~

That engine noise (metalic) is your engine dying....

Sorry but welcome !

Dont belive ? go to audiworld forum and searche jorge da cruz , see my pictures there show them to your dealer.
  • larislaris Posts: 11
    Question, has this happened on the 4.2 engines or just the 3.6? Is it a problem fixed in the '08s? Anyone know? About to take delivery of an '08 4.2.......I know it is a great engine, I believe it is the same one in the A8.....?
  • In my opinion, this issue only happened to very early Q7's 3.6 engines. I read it somewhere that Audi has a bulletin to repair the 3.6 Q7s for certain VINs. I think those 3.6 engines built after end of 2006 should be fine. Knock on wood, I took delivery of my 3.6 Q7 on 8/07 and I have almost 10K miles on it now. No problem so far, I did my 5K service (audicare) and they only did the Tailgate software update and that's about it. I don't have any of the issue that others had describe at all. And yes, the built date of my Q7 is 1/07.
  • Not sure if you have the same problem I have with my 2007 Q7 BUT....

I had my MMI system replaced because a coffee cup in my cupholder between the driver and passenger seat spilled onto MMI control buttons. Now 7 months later my son spilled a bottle of water and the next day the MMI stopped working. I bought the car into my AUDI dealer who are excellent BUT they claim AUDI HQ will not covered because it was an EXTERNAL influence... So they will not replace the MMI ... I have to pay $1000+ to fix it !!!!

This is RIDICULOUS!!! Who is the GENIUS engineer who designs the MMI system which sits below a CUPHOLDER and yet it a liquid is spilled on it ...IT SHORTS OUT .... OH and it is the CUSTOMERS error not the AUDI engineers...

I love my Q7 but they screwed up with this one design feature and they should just admit it and fix it and stop blaming the customers !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they do not resolve this I wil NEVER buy another AUDI again !!!!!!!!!!
  • I love my Q7 but AUDI really screwed up the MMI set up!!!!!!!!!!!

I had my MMI system replaced because a coffee cup in my cupholder between the driver and passenger seat spilled onto MMI control buttons. Now 7 months later my son spilled a bottle of water and the next day the MMI stopped working. I bought the car into my AUDI dealer who are excellent BUT they claim AUDI HQ will not covered because it was an EXTERNAL influence... So they will not replace the MMI ... I have to pay $1000+ to fix it !!!!

This is RIDICULOUS!!! Who is the GENIUS engineer who designs the MMI system which sits below a CUPHOLDER and yet it a liquid is spilled on it ...IT SHORTS OUT .... OH and it is the CUSTOMERS error not the AUDI engineers...

I love my Q7 but they screwed up with this one design feature and they should just admit it and fix it and stop blaming the customers !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they do not resolve this I wil NEVER buy another AUDI again !!!!!!!!!!
  • beltbelt Posts: 1
    does any one know how to install xm radio in q7 2008. sirius radio has a fiber optic connection and old xm tuner won't work.
    thanks
  • Hello

I have my Q7 since November last year and I didn't have any problems at all. My previous car was Volvo XC90, nothing but problems. After 2 months it broke down on me and after that every two weeks was some different problem, we had to sell and then I got my Audi.
    I would not change for nothing.

Ellie
    Thank you, I saw my new Q7 today, but don't get it until Tuesday as I have opted for DVD's in the back as a way to stop my son and daughter from beating on each other! Funny you say Volvo, my husband is a Swede and I'm a German and well....let's just say I converted him over to the German car way of thinking 9 years ago and he's never looked back. He does not miss his old Volvo either. ;)
  • The exact same "coffee" thing happened with my Q7! In fact the dealer charged me $ 200 to attempt to clean the MMI system we some type of solvent and then said that if that did not do the trick that it would cost about $ 1000 to replace. I am able to use the system intermittently but for some reason only when stationary. I am debating whether to bother replacing the system because it could easily happen again........

I agree its a flawed design! I also have an A8 and thankfully the spillage hasn't happened on this vehicle yet. ( although it is less susceptible).

Let me know how you make out with your dealer discussions and I will likewise.
    Wow! I just got my Q7 yesterday, I traded a much loved VW Touareg for it. I constantly bumped my coffee in the Touareg but it only managed to splash the gearshift and the seat, the computer was dash mounted. When I looked at the placement of the cup holder I did think to myself that I was sure to bump it, that totally freaks me out. Do the cup holders in the door pockets work very well? I must say I love my Q7 and although it is a bit to figure out the MMI, I think it is a great system.
  • The cup holders in the door pockets work well for bottled water. The bottles will stay at an inclined position though, so make sure the screw cap is on tight. Enjoy your Q7, it is a great vehicle. The MMI placement is my only complaint....
  • The dealer and AUDI both claim it is my (and your) FAULT that this happened and therefore we have to PAY !! That is BS. The product has poorly designed cupholders and they need to FIX it!....

I LOVE my Q7 but if whenever I spill something it costs $1000+ to fix it THAT IS JUST NOT FAIR !!!

AUDI is just not being FAIR !!!

I have called US customer service ((877 827-2665) and they just yes you to death and then AGREE to do nothing !! They really did not seem to care they just wanted me off the phone !!

I spoke to a customer service rep who was nice but could not help . Then a "supervisor" called me and he was RUDE and just about told me to go stuff it.

I was in Europe this week and a AUTO industry guy told me to send my complaint to WWW.AUDI.de It is the German HQ website. He said they may actually listen.
    but it is in GERMAN !!

Oh well....

I plan to write a letter to AUDI USA PRESIDENT so you may want to do the same

Johan De Nyssch
    3499 West Hamlin Road
    Rochester Hills, MI

Also I sent an email to AUDI Germany customer service and will post their response !!! :mad:

I really have no time for this but either they admit the design flaw and fix it o I have to sell the Q7....

I really do love it but this is unacceptable treatment of a customer by AUDI !!!!
  • I love my Q7 too BUT AUDI messed up and they need to admit it and not make $1000+ per MMI failure due to spilled coffee from a cupholder which is ABOVE the eectronics for the MMI !!!

They made a stupid design error and should agree to fix it and not penalize the customer !!!!

I plan to write a letter to AUDI USA PRESIDENT so you may want to do the same

Johan De Nyssch
    3499 West Hamlin Road
    Rochester Hills, MI :mad:
  • CAREFUL.... if you drink coffee or water while you drive and have ever spilled some it may cost you $1000+ to fix your MMI... The electronics are stored below the cupholder between the driver and passenger seats!!!!

If you have nay questions ask the dealer or sent a note to the president .... His staff is hiding this MAJOR customer sat issue from him and of course new and prospective Q7 customers !!! :mad: ...

Johan De Nyssch
    3499 West Hamlin Road
    Rochester Hills, MI
  • Any chance you spilled coffee or water on the unit from the cupholder above it ???

That is what I did and it cost me $1000+ to fix !!!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Unless de Nysschen has recently been promoted, he remains the executive vice-president of Audi USA. In any case, I think it is counterproductive to repeat the same message over and over.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • First , I apologoze for posting the same post a few times. I was unsure how to do a post to multiple replys and did not realize I could have posted it ONCE. Also I had included some specific info that SteveR at edmundds asked me to edit and I think I added a post instead of editing.

SO sorry...

On de Nysschen not being PRESIDENT of AUDI USA... Thank You for the correction BUT AUDI CUSTOMER SERVICE told me it was Mr. de Nysschen

Hey bit more imporatnat any advice on raising this issue to other AUDI Q7 owners so we can get AUDI to step up to fixing this problem ?????
    You could reinvigorate the Design Flaws & Foibles discussion if you post your problem there!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mml7mml7 Posts: 55
    > I love my Q7 too BUT AUDI messed up and they need to admit it and not make
    > $1000+ per MMI failure due to spilled coffee from a cupholder which is ABOVE the
    > eectronics for the MMI !!!
    >
    > They made a stupid design error and should agree to fix it and not penalize the
    > customer !!!!

No offense meant here, but...You spill coffee onto the MMI controller causing it to short out and you're blaming Audi? Yes, it might not be the best location of those electronics and the replacement costs are [typically for Audi] ridiculously high, but how about taking some responsibility?
    > So to prevent...
    > Put a 20W50 oil
    > Do not overfill ( 6 liters enougth)

Just an FYI to anyone tempted to do this, note that there are NO Audi 502.00 approved 20W-50 oils. For a complete list of approved oils, you can download this PDF from Audi's site:

Audi approved engine oil listing
    > I got an email tonight from someone who changed their Q7's oil and wants to know
    > if/how they can reset the service reminder light without having to go to the dealer.
    > Has anyone figured this out?

Unlike some other Audis (e.g. B7 A4), the Q7 doesn't, AFAIK, allow for the resetting of the service interval without either visiting the dealer or without the use of a scanning tool such as a VAG-COM. If you have a VAG-COM (or access to one), it takes about 10 seconds to do.
    > Question, has this happened on the 4.2 engines or just the 3.6? Is it a problem fixed
    > in the '08s? Anyone know? About to take delivery of an '08 4.2.......I know it is a
    > great engine, I believe it is the same one in the A8.....?

According to the TSB, this problem was restricted to only 2007 3.6L V6 engines from VINs 000001 - 062000
    > Are you a planted AUDI employee? C'mon admit it ...

LOL. Hardly. Any mod can check my profile email address and IP.

>
    > It is common sense ye of double digit IQ (offense meant) .

none taken.

>
    > Liquids and electronics so not mix. Explain why all the electronics in the engine are
    > sealed from the RAIN !!!

This goes without saying. I already stated that it wasn't a particularly good design. But again *Audi* didn't spill liquid into that area. You (or your family member) did. I still fail to see how it is *Audi's* responsibility to pick up the repair tab

>
    > Did you go to school in a short bus?

Nope, but I don't particularly care for the typical mentality in the US that thinks that everything is someone elses fault
    but how about taking some responsibility?

I think there is enough blame to go around but I also think it's a valid complaint. Imagine that your computer came with a cupholder attached to the keyboard. If you use that cupholder, you will inevitably and eventually spill liquid onto the keyboard. Yes, you are to blame for actually using the cupholder feature but the design cannot be defended.

At the very least, placing the MMI controls in such a vulnerable position would have required proper insulation to protect against the inevitable spillage.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I'm not saying that it's not a valid complaint, but the repetitive messages demanding that Audi "fix it and stop blaming the customers !!!!!!!!!!!!! [sic]" and "AUDI is just not being FAIR !!!" are a bit excessive. The fact is, Audi did not spill the coffee/water onto the MMI board not once, but twice, in 7 months.
  • Are you a planted AUDI employee? C'mon admit it ...

It is common sense ye of double digit IQ (offense meant) .

Liquids and electronics so not mix. Explain why all the electronics in the engine are sealed from the RAIN !!!

Did you go to school in a short bus?

f you have electronics in a Car do not put them BELOW a cupholder without ensuring the unit is sealed so trhat when a liguid spills it sdoes not short out the whole system and cost the CUSTOMER a $1000 !!!.

It really is that SIMPLE!

AUDI messed up and won't admit it.

For a $55+K car a customer should expect more!

So as far as taking some responsibility I think that "To Do" is for AUDI .

• Pls ignore my emotional response - hey but $1000 bucks is a $100 bucks!!

Tidestar nailed it ! It really is common sense....