Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S70

Comments

• amazonamazon Posts: 293
    YOu can re-set this by yourself. I can't remember if it's in the manual, or not. I can find out for you otherwise.

The steering clicking is one of the main reasons I sold my S70. The dealer never figured out how to pemanently fix the problem. They said that I needed to lubricate the steering stops(?) at each oil change. There's no lubrication needed at oil changes on any volvo after MY 1966, other than the engine oil change itself, so this is a bunch of baloney. I also read in a Swedich news paper about a recall in Europe for this issue, but have seen or heard nothing over here.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,432
    you can reset it yourself on many years.... as far as I know, the '98 isn't one of them, unfortunately. Not really sure about '99 or later years since I only researched the '98. I do remember the 850 had something about touching two contacts under the hood together. At one point, I did find one person who said you could do it on the '98 through some pattern with the key and I forget what else, but it didn't work. If you do find something, PLEASE, I'd LOVE to hear about it and give it a shot.

So far my steering wheel is silent. I've still got another 15K miles on my extended warranty so I'm hoping any annoying issues will turn up before my time is up.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• Hi folks. I live in Chicago and am in the market for a new car. I found one I like however the deal didn't close because of the trade value I was offered for my pristine, silver loaded 1998 S70 GLT. The dealer offered me $10,000. The edmunds trade in value is around $13,500. The dealer gave me the usual song and dance of how Volvo don't move. My response was that this was already built into the price, and its all about what the market will bear (I learned this in Econ 101!). What gives? Was wondering what everyone is experiencing regarding trade. Happy motoring.
    How many miles? What options?

In case you haven't already, post all the info (including color and state you live) on the Real World Trade-In Values board to get a professional number on your trade-in.

• Thanks for the tip regarding Real World Trade In. According to Terry, the car's worth about $11k on a trade. Not sure how Edmunds arrived at $13,500. It's amazing how cars depreciate. Good day.
  • 1999 - 2000 Volvo Service Light Reset Procedures

S / V / C70 Models

Press and hold odometer reset button.

Turn ignition switch to "run" position.

After SRL flashes, release odometer reset button.

Turn ignition off, then back on to confirm reset accepted.

...have fun.

Does anyone have a spare S70 Owners Manual? I have misplaced mine. Please send email if so....

that's the one i tried on my '98. No go. The one year there is no self-reset and I own it. :(

wow. The market is just horrible. It was just this past summer I saw GLTs selling for around $16K. So being able to pick one up for $13,5 retail now is a pretty sharp decline in just 5-6 months.

I would hate to find out the value of my car.... so I'm just not going to ask Terry.

• Does this mean there is no self reset for 1998 S70s?
    As far as my research has told me, right, there is no self-reset for '98.

• I'm am absolutely sure (100% certain) there is no self-reset procedure for a 1998 Volvo S70. I have talked to many owners and a couple trusted mechanics. There isn't a way to do it yourself for the 1998 model year.

I've got a big trip coming up during Christmas time. Driving from DC to south Florida and back. This is by far the longest trip with my 1998 S70 T-5 yet. I'm hoping it all goes smoothly. It should be a lot of fun. Happy Holidays to all my fellow Volvo fans!
  • I have a 98 S70 GLT. About 6 months the Tracs Off and ABS lights came on. When I turned off the ignition and restarted the car, the lights went out. The lights came back on several times after that, but sporatically. I took the car to the dealer for service and told them about the lights. They told me they did not find any faults recorded. The problem went away. Just last night, the lights came back on. This time, they are not resetting themselves and the lights are on everytime I start the car. Anyone else have this happen? Anyone know what might be going on?
  • I'm considering a black S70 T-5 auto, with 55k miles, loaded (as T5's are), no visible scratches except for one on the back driver's side rim. Drives amazing and is just what I'm looking for.

Two questions: does the 2.3 turbo require premium fuel? i've read in another post that mid-grade is fine, is it?

Secondly, the Volvo place (not a dealer, but a volvo mechanic who has a bunch of Volvos for sale) is asking $17995 for it, which seems high, but there are virtually no other T5's in my area (Western Massachusetts).

Any thoughts to help me contemplate this purchase would be apprechiated. ~Kenneth Clark
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Requires 91 octane fuel.
    Price seems a bit high, especially if its not a certified car.
    Yeah, a tad high, but that IS just asking price.

I always run premium gas. I bought the T5 cause I really wanted a comfy car that performed, so why not give it every little advantage and treat it as best I can?

Actually, I've found that most T5s do come 2 ways. With or without the sport suspension. I also found that alot of people didn't realize this so "fully loaded" doesn't always mean just that. (belive it or not, i've also seen a t5 with cloth interior.... ugh!)

• Hi folks. I'm looking at a 98 S70 with 84,000 miles in the San Francisco area. Owner is asking 10,500 for the car and I'm going to test drive it today. It has the leather interior, automatic trans, rear wing (cute), am/fm cassette and CD, power seat and a few other upgrades.

I like the looks of the car from photos emailed by the seller and ones I've seen driving around town, but after reading this site, I'm wondering if the car will have too many problems for me. It seems high miles for the year.

I'm going to ask for service records and have it checked by my mechanic if I decide it could be a car for me. Any other suggestions?

Thanks... L
  • I have had this car for four years (bought it one year used) and have been relatively pleased with it since most of the repairs occurred during the warranty. I have ,however, had four batteries in the last two years. I thought that it was the alternator but when I went to get my last battery replaced at Advanced Auto parts they tested the alternator before giving me a new battery since the old was under warranty. I went out yesterday after two days of non use and it is dead. I tried the obvious......left a light on or something but that doesn't appear to be it.

Anyone else have this problem. I hoped to keep this car a long time...run it in to the ground. Thanks in advance!
  • I had the same problem with my 98 S70. As it turns out, the problem was caused by the glove compartment door not latching properly. Even though the door was closed, unless it was pushed tight enough to "click" the light inside the glove compartment was staying on. This caused the battery to drain when the car sat idle for a few days.
    Try pushing on the glove compartment door and see if it makes a clicking sound. If it does, then that is probably what is causing the problem.
    is this a base model? If so, that seems like high money for all those miles. You could get a low mileage one for just a couple grand more and it would be money well spent to get a couple more years of driving out of it. Just personal opinion, but I would never spend 5 figures on a car with those kinda miles.

• jskhojskho Posts: 107
    I am considering buying a CPO 99 S70 base 5sp with 31k miles. I think heated leather seats is the only option. Dealer is asking for $15k.
    I am wondering what you think.
    Also, does anyone know how options are packaged for model year 99? Is traction control available for 99?
    according to the info here on edmunds, traction control was an option in '99. I would assume its the same as the '98s, so I wouldn't get too excited about it. Its only a low-speed traction control and, frankly, it doesn't work. I've spun my wheel a number of times upon takeoff, so I've found myself laughing quite often at the TRACS overide button on my dash. ;)

Anyway, if its a clean car, that's not a bad price. You sure it doesn't have a moonroof and CD player though? Heated leather seats and no CD just seems plain odd to me. But, in any case, stereo and alloy wheels can be fixed easily aftermarket. And I guess a lacking moonroof isn't a big tragedy. It shouldn't affect the resale too badly.

Thanks for the info.
    I am not sure about the option combo but no sunroof and alloys for sure. I wasn't able to get close to the car (lot fenced) and dealer website is usually inaccurate.
    That's why I am wondering if options are available individual or in packages.
    I think 5sp is the big hit to resale value rather than sunroof.
    Does anyone have experience with the certified pre-owned warranty? Is it bumper-to-bumper as in the new car warranty? Or are there items excluded?
    Its not as good as bumper to bumper, but slightly better than basic powertrain. It covers the obvious things like engine, transmission, electrical components, etc. But it also covers things like the power seats and windows. I have the list of what is covered and what is not. If you want down and dirty specifics, let me know and I could scan it and post it somewhere and provide the link. But maybe its on the volvo website. I haven't looked.

Yes. That would be helpful if it is not too much trouble for you. Or I can email you my fax number if that is easier. I don't think it is on the Volvo website. Thanks once again.
    here it is.

you will probably be better off reading it by right-clicking the pic and saving it on your hard drive. Then you can open it and zoom in for easier viewing.

Speaking of the CPO, my S70 is in the shop today for its oil leak. My wife pointed out other problems as well, including the loose leather on the door panels (which I think I mentioned here earlier). Service person said that should be covered, as well. We'll see. I'll report back when I hear the results.

edit - ok. just checked that link after I posted. Says its not available. I hope that fixes itself soon. May just be a delay between my upload and when they allow it to be viewed. If it doesn't work, give me yer email and I'll send it to you.

• utvol1utvol1 Posts: 6
    How do you reset the service light on a 2000 S70 Volvo? I change my own oil and on my previous 1994 Volvo 940 I could reset it from inside the car.
    Thanks a lot! It is very useful.
    That would be great since interior upholstery is not listed as a covered item.
    glad to help.

Well, as I figured, the interior is not covered. They quoted $1300 to fix the door panels!! I, of course, declined that repair. When you can get whole new aftermarket leather seating for a grand for most cars, there is no way in hell I'd pay $1300 just for door inserts. I'll live with it for now and maybe have it done by an independent shop down the line somewhere.

Anyway, my oil leak turned out to be both oil return lines. Repaired under warranty. They even threw in a free loaner for my wife for the day and washed the car while they had it. That's great service. Certainly never had those perks when I bought a new Dodge truck.

Did you try the procedure listed in post 440?