Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S70

Comments

• utvol1utvol1 Posts: 6
    qbrozen, Thanks for the info. Procedure listed on #440 worked.
  • For resetting your '98 S70... (in case you aren't familiar with where to buy one)

http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsList.aspx?subSubCategoryID=590

Runs $178--not cheap, but the service light drives me nuts for the week or two it takes me to get to the dealer for my oil changes.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,533
    there's that and there is also a software program you can get for your PC. I would probably opt for the program just because its kinda cool in that you can monitor your car as its running, etc. That can be found at obdii.com. Looks to be about $200.

But, still, my wife won't let me part with $200 or even $178 just to get that silly light to go away. I can live with it. Basically, if I ever have the money to burn, I'll spring for the software, or, if that never happens and I want to sell the car at some point (perish the thought!), I'll just bring it to the dealer for that final oil change.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• gbrozen, I just went last week just before the warranty was going to expire (right at 49,950) and they said that it was a factory defect specially on the rear panels and fixed them all up for FREE, I think it would be good if you call the 1-800 Volvo service number and complaint.
  • ...just this weekend my wife lost the second set of keys and keyless remote. Boy what a saga. I called the dealer today and to my heart attack surprise here is what a key and remote will cost you on a 1999 S70:

THE KEY
    $58.00 for the key core (special order laser cut and it takes 1 week to arrive)
    $42.00 for the software
    $78.00 labor to program
           $178.00 plus tax= $189.57

THE KEYLESS REMOTE
    $100.00 for the remote
    $42.00 for the software
    $78.00 labor to program
            $220.00 plus tax= $234.30
    $423.87 for the key and one remote ...DONT KEEP YOUR EYES OFF THEM!

...I was able to talk the tech down for the second $78.00 for labor since he will be doing the work simultaneously for the key and the remote, so for the asking, I got a break and saved $78.00, but who has $345.87 to spare for a set of keys?
    thanks for the info on the door panels. I'll have to try that.

Wow! and thanks for the key info as well .... Maybe I'll attach a brick to the spare set to keep it from getting lost ... it'll look like a gas station restroom key. :)

• I have had the front, drivers seat dyed in several areas since the color comes off rather easily. It irks me to no end to have to drive with my wallet in my front pocket because it seems that my wallet "may" have been the culprit causing the seat to wear. A $34,500 car shouldn't have such problems. Afterall, I only have 24,000 on my 2000 GLT SE and I feel this is wear is most premature. Anyone else experience such a problem and if so, was it corrected to your satisfaction? Other than the described problem along with starting/stalling problems and absolutely horrendous rear visibility when backing up, it's a pretty nice vehicle, but I think it's probably my first and last Volvo.
    discolored leather? What color is it supposed to be? This seems really odd to me. How could it become discolored? You got chemicals in that wallet of yours or something? ;)
    Has the dealer given you any indication that this is something they've seen before?

What problem are you having with rear visibility? Both my wife and I have absolutely no visibility complaints (and there is over a foot height difference between us, so physical limitations can't be the culprit - but it does make that memory seat a well-loved option by us).

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    My parents are the proud new owners of a '99 base S70, automatic, silver with black leather. They just got this car today; it was a one-owner car from southern CT with only 39k miles on it. I drove it this afternoon; the car rocks! Volvos are the best!!

I drive a '93 850 that has given us absolutely no problems since the day we got it six years ago. Knock on wood, it's as reliable as our last Nissan they just traded in on the new Volvo.
    is it the base model or what?

If so, how is that car on power? There are many times I suggest to people to look for a used S70 since I think its such a great bargain, but the biggest bargain is the non-turbo'd. I just never drove one to see if its got any get-up-and-go.

• dmuzykadmuzyka Posts: 31
    Well folks, I went over the top today - our '98 S70 is worth exactly $6000 as a trade in!! (This was not just one dealer - several different dealers gave roughtly the same price, including Carmax) Only 72k on it - pretty decent shape (except for one door panel and a small dent in the fender)... When we bought it in '98 my wife talked me out of a Maxima SE...a decision I greatly regret since except for the solid feeling of the Volvo, I have been underwhelmed with it's need for expensive & frequent repairs, starting with the headlight bulbs and going on through the door panels, timing belt, abs sensors, etc. Back to a Japanese vehicle - a Highlander - for us. Part of the reason for the low trade was that we are in Texas...values are a little higher on the left and right coasts. Regardless, I'm greatly disappointed.
    the low resale is exactly why i was able to pick up a used one for what I consider to be a steal.

If you have a $6K car, I can only imagine you have a stripped version (base engine and cloth seats perhaps?). That is death for any luxury car. Yeah, this model has low resale from new compared to other luxury imports. Its a shame, but its just how things go sometimes. Now you know how all those American luxury new car buyers feel.

as far as your repairs go, how much did it cost you? Headlight bulbs certainly aren't expensive. Timing belt is a repair cost associated with ALL cars with a timing belt. Did the abs sensor failure happen under warranty? What did that run (just so I have an idea if it ever happens to me)?

it has leather, sunroof, killer sound system, power seats, etc.. The only major things missing are seat heaters, trip computer and turbo...

Anyway, I understand basic maintenance, but the prices were nuts. Headlight bulbs - in 72k we've replaced 7 at $20 each. Timing belt $700. Abs sensor $1600 (not available a la carte...). Front door panels both replaced under warranty, now need replacement again.

We're just discouraged. Our next european car (should there be one) will be used, so as to let someone else take the depreciation hit.
  • ymillerymiller Posts: 10
    I found a used 1999 S70 base sedan w/ leather seats, moonroof, AT, CD player, 32.7k miles, asking price $13999. Under factory warranty until 10/2003. Been corresponding with dealer (not a Volvo dealer) by e-mail, he seems to be willing to deal to move the car.

Checked the Carfax and it looks clean, one owner, Florida lease. It did mention a police report of an accident in 2000, but doesn't mention the severity of the accident. Should I be worried about this? What is a decent price for this car?

Would current S70 owners recommend it? I'm the mom of a 19-month-old, so safety and longterm reliability are most important to me. Should I consider purchasing an extended warranty? Thanks in advance for any advice...
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    My parents traded in a minivan for a '99 S70 on 2/28 of this year. The car is a base model and has everything on it except for the moonroof. This one had 39k on it when we picked it up and we paid $14k exactly out the door. Although we are very happy with our purchase (we also have a '93 850), I would strongly recommend buying an extended warranty, as this particular model is known to be plagued with well-known problems, such as early headlight burn-out and malfunctioning door locks.
    Definitely get the extended warranty. As I previously posted, our '98 needed major repairs at 70k, namely the ABS and A/C systems replaced to the tune of $4500. We are looking to unload it as a trade and it's practically worthless (well, $6000-7000). Granted, '98 was a bad year for the S70...even Consumer Reports lists it as a "Used Car To Avoid" for that year. That being said, physically the car is bullet-proof... safety is why we bought it in the first place. The rest of the market, however, has caught up to Volvo's safety reputation. Choose wisely. I hope I didn't pop your balloon.
    Yer getting hit with a couple of issues here. The no-turbo models definitely take a bit of a hit... its a demand thing. More people buying this car used want a turbo model. Plus, as we all know, the used car market is in the toilet right now. All cars are down, so that makes our poor '98 volvos even more of a downer.

Now, just to point out a small detail, I purchased Phillips high-intensity bulbs for my '98 for $7 each. So you really got hosed at $20 a pop. I can see how that would be aggravating when you have to pay that much each time.

• anu0anu0 Posts: 13
    A friend is selling his 1998 Volvo S70 T5. It's fully loaded, including the sports suspension and is automatic. It has less than 10, 000 miles; that's right, no misprint, 10,000 not 100,000.
    Edmunds says the TMV for a private party sale is $16, 800.

Kelly Blue Book says the car is only worth $15,500 even at this ultra low mileage.

What kind of offer should I make him?
    Is this a problematic car? I'm used to driving only Japanese cars.
    seems mighty low to me. I've been seeing T5s with much higher mileage (30-40K) advertised in the $15s. Best thing to do is run this by the guys over on the "Real World Trade-In Values" board and see what they say.

As far as it being problematic, you will get varying opinions, as is the case with all cars. Personally, I've put over 30K miles on my used T5 and haven't had as many issues as I've had with cars like my Toyota 4Runner and Subaru Forester (both of which score much higher on any published reliability scale). I think the benefits of driving this wonderful car far outweigh the little nagging blown lightbulbs issue or the occasional check engine light (which always turns out to be a gas-cap leak issue and goes away after a week or so). Oh, I did have an oil leak, but it was fixed under warranty.

But I would check with him and make sure the maintenance bulletin concerning the lights has been fixed by the dealer (if not, i'm pretty sure the dealer is still required to fix it).

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The only problem with the T5 is that its not worth much more than a GLT used.
    The miles on the car are too low, in other words there's no market mechanism designed to calculate a fair price for that car.
    Private party I think $17,000 is probably right on.
    $18,000 is all the money and then some.
    $15500 for a private sale is too low.
    not worth much more? Well, I guess that depends on what you consider "much more". Seems to me it kicks up the price at least $1200 and usually more. On the used car market, that much increase for just an engine upgrade is pretty good. Even the Lincoln LS only fetches $1K more for the V8.

And I'm just using Edmunds numbers here.... shopping around has proven to me that the real world commands even more of a difference between the T5 and its lesser counterparts.

Anyway, the guys over on the real-world values board hit this as a $16K RETAIL vehicle. Pretty brutal. So seems like something more around $15K private party is more than fair.

• For what its worth, I have owned a 1998 Volvo S70 GLT for the last 4 years and 50K and outside of some minor bulb issues (corrected under warranty), the car has been bullet proof. Now granted, the Volvo is no BMW from a performance perspective, but this is one comfortable, well built, solid and safe family cruiser. Find yourself a local mechanic that works on European cars and put $1500 aside each year for possible repairs and you got yourself a vehicle superior in every way to any $15K Japanese car in my opinion.
  • ripdripd Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any insight as to a a gear lockup I'm having on my 98 s70 with A/T. It's sporadic but basically I'm unable to get the car out of Park (brake is depressed). The car has a shift override button but when this is used it seems to disable the headlights and turn signals. Any thoughts would be helpful.
    are you parking on a hill? I find it usually difficult to get it out of park if I parked on a hill. I've now gotten into the habit of setting the parking brake before taking my foot off the brake pedal. This keeps the car from resting its weight on the transmission (so to speak).

• ripdripd Posts: 2
    qbrozen - I have tried using the parking break but no luck. It's the strangest thing, when it's locked up I have no lights or turn signal indicators. Any other ideas?
    when it's locked up I have no lights or turn signal indicators

you mean when the car is running, but in park, you can't turn the lights on?? That is extremely odd. I have absolutely no clue what that could be. Sorry.

• 444psd444psd Posts: 2
    ripd,

next time it locks up and you have some various electrical components not working, try jiggling the key inside the lock cylinder and see if it comes to life. if it does you've most definitely got a faulty ignition switch, the electrical part on the backside of the lock cylinder would need to be replaced, and no its not that difficult to replace. Also, for you folks still experiencing the constant headlight bulb replacement, check to see if recall 101B has been performed on it. It affected all S/V 70's 98'-00'. It seemed to have cured most premature headlight bulb failures. Basically its a resistor kit between the connector and the headlight itself. Just my 2 cents worth!
  • tiomantioman Posts: 5
    We are thinking of buying a 2000 Volvo S70 (non turbo)with 55000 miles on it. The dealer is quoting us a price of around 16,000, including the certified/limited warranty. It's pretty loaded--leather, seat heaters, cd/am/fm stereo, power everything, sunroof, etc. Are we crazy to buy a used Volvo with so many miles on it? We need some honest advice!
    sounds a bit pricey to me. Have you run this by the guys on the REal-World trade-in value board? Maybe I'm wrong... just seems high for a non-turbo with that many miles.