Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S70

Comments

• kacsnkkacsnk Posts: 1
    Whenever my car Volvo S70 98 slipped in a snowy road my ABS light and traction off lights on. Then i have to stop engine and reastart to get rid off that. Why is this
  • Your ABS and traction control uses the same computer module to operate the brake system. When you're slipping in snow, the traction control trys to prevent the tires from slipping. If the ABS and traction control lights are staying on, most likely there is something wrong with the computer module.
  • tatum1tatum1 Posts: 1
    I have a 98 GLT and the ABS light has come on off and on since new I have learned to live with it but how will I know when there is a real problem.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,323
    you mean you bought the car brand new in 97 or 98 and have always had this issue? You didn't have it fixed under warranty?

Anyway, if the lights come on and stay on, then you have a problem. I fixed mine fairly quickly after the problem began because it scared the heck out of me to be driving a vehicle where the ABS might give out all of a sudden (imagine that happening DURING a panic stop!).

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• I have a 2000 s70 but i have been trying to figure out if it is an se or what? My insurance says its and Se but the back of the car dosent say anything but s70. It has all of the options except a winter weather package. I was trying to figure out if an Se could have a turbo engine because when i was getting my oil changed, the man said i had a turbo motor with out the turbo. When i am on the higway and i hit the gas pedal i fell a little lag before the car shoots off. Maybe it could be a glt se and the insurance just reads se. They even asked me if it was a turbo because they cant tell. Any thing u can tell me would be greatly appreciated. And also if anybody knows why it dosnt say SE or GLT or T5 on the back, i would be interested to know.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    could be a base SE.
    This was a base S70 w/ leather and alloys, and a few other options.
    these were the last S70's built.
    Probably have to check your vin.
    and that lag you are referring to is probably the time between you stepping on it and the transmission downshifting.

• I am considering purchasing a 1998 S70 w/47000 miles for my 17 year old. Is the car safe and reliable? What problems should i look for or expect. The car looks clean.
    Thank you for your help, it is very muck appreciated.
    wow! 47k miles? That's remarkably low. Hope you run a carfax to double-check that figure and make sure it hasn't been rolled back.

Anyway, a '98 GLT will treat you well, IMO. Just keep up with the maintenance. There are common failures you will need to face, like the ABS controller, PCV system, spring mounts, swaybar endlinks, and probably some others I'm forgetting. Although the car only has 47k miles, I would probably replace the timing belt and tensioner now ... age can hurt a timing belt, just like miles.

If you or your son has the ability to turn a wrench, I suggest getting familiar with what is under the hood sooner than later. It can really save you big bucks when it comes to the ABS controller, for instance (typically $800 at a dealer vs $180 to do yourself), or the PCV system (saved myself about $400 last week by doing this myself, too).

• qbrozen,
    Thanks for your responce. I know very little about volvos. I heard they were safe, however i also heard from a one friend that they broke down often. Another friend taht had a Volvo however said he hrdly had any problems. So I appreciate your knowledge and advice. Also neither i or my son are handy with tools.
    Thanks
    no problem.

yes, of course there is the safety factor. Its what volvo was built on and stake their reputation on. Luckily, I haven't had to fully test the safety of mine. I did get slammed sideways into the retaining wall on the highway going 80 mph ... and only had a dented fender and 2 scraped wheels .. so that impressed me.

Well, don't let the laundry list I stated give you fear. Every car has its problems. At least the S70 is not prone to major failures like the tranny, head gasket, or what have you. The things that do go wrong are usually fairly minor. But I would make sure you know of an independent mechanic who is familiar with volvos. Dealerships are typically VERY expensive. My indy volvo mechanic is usually about 60%-70% the price of the dealership estimates. Like i said, I do alot of things myself, but sometimes its just not worth my time for the price that he charges. :)

Oh, and, for the record, my Volvo has NEVER "broken down." Yes, I've had to make repairs, but it has not once left me stranded (knocking on wood). I read alot about S70s from their owners and I can't recall any story of anyone getting stranded EXCEPT when the timing belt or tensioner failed, which is why I suggested changing those immediately. Any other instances were caused by modifications made by the owner.

good luck.

• I have a s70 and have used Volvo Villa ....expensive and not great service. Can you give me the details of the person you are using? Thanks
    I wouldn't hold my breath for an answer. That poster has not been on the board in almost 6 months. But, maybe this will answer your question:
    someone else asked him for the details of this mechanic, and this was his response:
    rong642002, "Volvo S70" #852, 22 Aug 2005 5:02 pm

• romo1romo1 Posts: 3
    It does not happen all the time, but every so often when slowing down to stop. usually starts as i slow down from 30 to 15mph. Click,click,click, click. Replaced front rotors and pads. Checked all wheel sensors, calipers, ect. all o.k. Still clicks! Any explanations? Thanks 99 S70 65K
    clicking is odd. the only other thing i've had to replace on mine is the hub bearing assemblies. But those gave a grinding noise when turning, with or without brakes applied.

possibly a CV going bad.

to test the hub bearing theory, check out the tips on this page:
    http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/FWDbearingHub.php

• jwsigjwsig Posts: 1
    I am new to the group and was wondering if there was anyone with advice for loose inside door panels. The driver and passenger panels will practically lift right off from the bottom when doors are open. Back seat panels are beginning to loosen a tad also.There are no clips to pop panels onto that I can see, but there seems to be a green substance on inside door frame between door and panel. Don't know if this was adhesive that has gone bad or what. Would appreciate any ideas.2000 S70. Thanks..jwsig
  • colos70colos70 Posts: 1
    How do you replace the flasher unit on a 1998 Volvo S70?
  • tim15tim15 Posts: 10
    I bought a 1998 Volvo S70 today for my daughter, mainly because it will be a safe car. It currently has 110K on it, but runs well. One minor problem... To shift out of park, I must push the shift lock override button. Any ideal why? Also, any common problem area with this model? I'm hoping I can get a few thousand trouble free miles out of it. Thanks
    here is a good site for you to read:
    http://www.volvospeed.com/maintence.htm

what you are looking for is under Miscellaneous. Its the shift microswitch problem.

Other common problems include the ABS module and, with this number of miles, the PCV system.

what model did you get? Base?

• frivolvofrivolvo Posts: 1
    anyone know where to get the LED bulbs when they burn out. I've remvoed them and been to autoparts store and Radio Shack w/o luck...
    hmmmm... i don't know. i always heard radio shack was the place. well, i found this quote on another board, so hopefully the part numbers will help you find a place online to buy them.

What to do: Go to Radio Shack and buy the micro lamp type 7219 (SN 272-1092C), 2 bulbs per package at about $1.50. After removing the bulbs from your radio, remove the old bulb elements from the plastic housing and insert the new bulb in it's place. This is tedious as it requires you to chip away the "glue" holding to wire leads in place and wrap the new wire leads in similar fashion. However, I was able to do this with just an exacto knife (be very careful PLEASE).
    In a hour or so I had replaced all of my bulbs and should be good for another 100K miles. Please note that many owners (including myself) leave their headlights on all of the time, which probably causes the bulbs to burn-out sooner.

• oculus1oculus1 Posts: 6
    I just bought a used 1999 S70 with 80k miles, and it runs great. I'm curious as to why the engine turns off with a slight shudder whenever I turn it off. Starts smoothly though. Any ideas?
    hmmm.. well, i don't have a definitive answer for you, but I do hope you have a service history on the car. If not, with 80k miles, you need to go over EVERYTHING with a fine-toothed comb. It needs the timing belt, plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, and air filter replaced. Service the tranny, check the wires, and, since its a '99, clean the MAF.

Thanks, gbrozen, for your input. I have the old records. In fact, the car was serviced regularly as per standard recomm. The last service was done at 75k miles, i.e. just a few months ago.

BTW, what's MAF? Also, according to the manual, the timing belt change is rec. at 105k miles, not earlier. What are your thoughts?
    Another quirk I've noticed in the same car ('99 S70). I occasionally hear this sharp snap-like sound, sounds just like a small rock hitting the windshield, whenever the car goes over a bump or an incline. Seems to be coming from the rear (? the rear right side?). But doesn't happen everytime, only occasionally. Is it something minor involving the struts, eg lubric, or worn bushing?
    ok ... 105k could be right. I know they kept changing the interval from the early '98s on up. For instance, early production 98s require, if i remember correctly, 75k, while later ones require 95k. There is a conspiracy theory, however, that there is no difference that should require an extended term for the belt and volvo merely started stretching the interval to look better to potential buyers. I do know that they changed from mechanical to hydraulic tensioners mid-98, though.

ANYHOO... on to your "snapping" noise. This is also a new one on me. There are lots of suspension issues with the S70s, but I've never heard any of them described like this. The typical problems you'd find in the rear are the spring mounts and the spring clips. The clips are extremely minor. The mounts are a bit more involved, but still won't break the bank. Honestly, though, the mounts give a much deeper clunk sound when bad.

Make sure its not something loose. Maybe a busted exhaust mount? Maybe a loose mudflap? Something like that. Or how about something loose in the trunk? Check where the tire is, too, because something could be hiding under the tire.

oh yeah... the maf. Ok, i think this post pretty much covers it. i kind of mispoke when i said maf (mass air fuel sensor). its pretty much the same idea, though.

qbrozen, "Volvo S70" #790, 13 Jul 2005 7:09 am

• I have a 1998 S70 and just had some work done on it - I need to reset the radio and its asking for a code to do so - I do not have the manual - vindictive ex husband swiped it outta my car! Can :P anyone help :)
    THanks in advance
    Lisa
    your dealer can.

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    You have to get the radio code from Volvo.
    Then the radio needs to left on for 2 hrs, then you can enter the code.