Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S70

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,613
    Anybody look at the MAF sensor?
    Common fault on the '99 and if it is not mixing the fuel correctly, you could be running very rich, misfiring, and fouling plugs.
    Oil leaking on the timing belt won't cause any direct problems, as the timing belt has teeth and can't slip. However, it will degrade the belt and it may eventually break. So you'll want to replace the belt when the oil leak is fixed.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• Too late to get this message?When the door locks do not work the passenger
    side swithch controls everything! Dealer told me that the passenger side also controls the alarm system. When the door locks don't work go and giggle this
    switch you will hear the click and the locking system is as good as new.
    Has happened so many times that I get used to it.
  • This problem is the reason I came to This site. All of a sudden the engine wants to mis-fire when it is pressed hard into passing gear. I have put Bosch Platimim plugs, changed the wires, had the injectors purged and nothing helps. The car has never done this before and I was wondering it it could be a vacuum hose or something in the tranny. Unless pushed the trans mission shifts like butter.. It is a 1998 S-70 GLT. Any help?
    definitely could be a vacuum leak.

Not a trans problem, as that wouldn't cause misfiring.

• Thank you for your quick reply. I have owned this car from 85k ( second owner)
    I have lavished so much attention and money to keep it running. The S-70 is spotless inside and out but I am starting to get nickled and dimed to death.
    This particular problem is more important. Need to ask another question?
    How many vacumm hoses are there? And does the Tranny have vacuum hoses?

I don't believe the tranny has any vacuum lines ... but don't quote me on that.

How much vacuum line does the engine have. OH BOY!
    well... i don't know. But its ALOT!

Here is something that may or may not help you:
    http://volvospeed.com/Repair/vacuum_lines.php

Unfortunately, I think you bought it at a bad time. I had no problems up till 85k. It was from that point till 105k that I put in over $3k in my car. Suspension, ABS module, bearings, EGR system, etc. Difference is, I had mine from 30k, so putting $3k into it didn't bother me all too much. I sold it with 115k and that owner probably had many many thousands of trouble-free miles after everything I did to it.

• My daughter is having the same problem with her '98 S70. What solution did you use?
  • When my daughter is driving her '98 Turbo S70 sedan, suddenly one of the dashboard lights comes on, then another, until they are all on and the car stops running. This is occurring more frequently to the point that she is afraid to drive it.
    After sitting for about 2 hours, the car will start up and go again.
    She has taken it to the Volvo dealer twice. Their recommendation: replace the alternator and the battery. She has taken it to an alternator repair shop, and they can't find anything wrong with the battery or the alternator. Any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix it?
  • My car is still losing power. I have spent thousands of dollars trying to find the cause. The problem is they can never re-inact the problem. They don't get any codes that would allow them to repair it. I have been out on the interstate and my cause just loses power. I put it in neutral and it always start right up. It has never not restarted instantly. The mechanics say it would be better if it wouldn't start and maybe they could find the answer.
    I still drive the car, but cautiously. I do not pull out in front of anyone.
    It is hard to believe that Volvo can't fix their own cars. I paid over 35k for this car brand new.
    It is hard to believe that Volvo can't fix their own cars.

This is in no way exclusive to Volvos. There is not a mechanic alive who can figure out an intermittent problem that leaves no traces and can't be replicated at will.

You can read similar stories about every make.

And if you guys haven't replaced the battery, I strongly recommend it, regardless of what a tech says. When my battery went bad in my S70, I could not tell with a meter. It tested fine. But, sure enough, I replaced it because I couldn't think of anything else to do, and it fixed my issues.

I'm not saying this is definitely your problem. But for $100, it is worth finding out.

• hi, i have a 1998 v70 that won't start. it urns over, starts idles really rough and stalls out floded. if you give it gas wile running it dosn't take it and dies right away.
    i did a full tune up cause previus owner never did, changed (cap,rotor,plugs,wire set)
    still no better.
    any help on this woulb be very much appreciated thx
    :(
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Sounds like a MAF problem.
    or vacuum leak.

• gmac50gmac50 Posts: 6
    does the old bushing have to be pressed out? and where is the best place price wise to buy the abs module?
  • Greetings - I have a 1998 s70 (non turbo). Got it recently. Very Happy. Got an oil change done last night. Car ran fine ..... beuatifully in fact. Went to start it this morning and it won't start/turn/crank. When I turn the key ... I hear three buzzes which appear to eminate from behing the dash (two short one long). The car appears to have power (lights, radio, antennae etc.) If it matters it was 7 degrees here this morning although the card had been starting fine all week in the cold. Any thoughts would be very helpful. Thanks! :(
    Hmmm... I'm not familiar with the buzzes. Leads me to think it is some sort of security issues. However, without knowing for sure, my guess is the battery. I too had this happen on my S70 in the winter (meaning having all lights, etc, but no start), and although the battery read 12 volts, I replaced it for lack of any better idea. It worked. Seems these cars are VERY sensitive to the battery's condition.

• Hey guys im new here so hopefully this is the right place to post this.

98 Volvo s70, 160000 miles, a couple problems.

1. speedometer quit working.

2. oil is at right level, but over the llast three days it sounds like an airplane. now this is only while the car is in motion. so to me that would eliminate exhaust issues. its not the engine, so is my tranny going out? keep in mind it only makes this noise while the car is in motion. Wheel bearing were just replaced so could it be they were defective? There is no slipping in the tranny at all. so plz help me out guys and gals :)
    I doubt its the trans.
    Which wheel bearings were replaced? How about tire balancing? Do you feel any vibration at all?

I wouldn't rule out exhaust unless you rev the engine sitting still and get no noises.

Could be as simple as a loose piece of trim. Have you checked the tightness of everything underneath? The dust shield under the engine is not the sturdiest thing ever designed.

• I have a 98 volvo with a transmission problem. Transmission was replaced with used 3 months ago. The fluid does not look like tranny fluid but a chocolate milk color. Does anyone know what the problem may be?
    did it look like trans fluid just after replacement?
    this is an automatic, right?

• yes an automatic. I believe there is a part that works conjunction with the radiator to keep fluid cool. i do not know what this part is and if I can change myself. Someone told me that I might even need to replace the radiator. thanks!!!
    well, i can't remember if my s70 had a trans cooler. I searched swedespeed a bit for you and found nothing there about it, either. maybe just take it to an indy volvo mechanic and get a flush/fill done and see what they say about the fluid.

question: did it USED to look red?

• asikaasika Posts: 8
    I will start out with doing a transmission flush and then see. I just flushed my 1998 s70 turbo this weekend and spent around $60 (used 10 quarts of Dex III, 2 1/2 gallon milk jugs and a clear plastic tubbing from Lowe's) doing it myself.
    heck, my indy volvo mechanic only charges me $79. Saves me aggravation and the trouble of disposing of the fluid.

it just stalls out of the blue..the dealer cannot figure it out..i've put a fuel pump and mass air flow sensor and it still stalls
  • I have an S70 volvo that does the same thing. I can be on the interstate and it just lose power and starts right back up. I have spent thousands of dollar for them to figure out what causes it. They always say they can't duplicate the problem. Is your car a turbo? I've had a fuel pump, mass air flow sensor and I will have to look at my repair bills to let you know all they have changed on this car. There just seems to be no hope. I bought my car new in 1998 for 33k and spent probably an additional 4-6k on repairs. If you find the cause, please let me know.
    I'm going to replace the temp sensor next..mine is a non turbo
    I have a volvo s70..very dissappointed ..wish i never purchased it..stay away from them especially the s70..buy a honda or toyota..you will be ahead of the game and they won't bleed you dry
    I replaced the o2 sensor before and after the cat..so far so good.
  • wysocheawysochea Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Volvo S70 and have had some problems with the climate control system. I just had the AC recharged and the system will give both heat and cold, but the fan is temperamental. At times it runs perfectly and the speed responds as I change the dial. Other times I can have the heat/AC on full blast, yet the fan does not blow at all. At those times, I can feel the heat/cold lightly wafting from the vent so I know the temperature is responding, but the fan does not blow the air. The other day I was driving with the AC running perfectly, but the speed of the fan seemed to be affected to my driving speed---if I sped up quickly, the fan would slow down, and when I slowed down the fan sped up.