Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S70

Comments

• tra708tra708 Posts: 3
    I got into my S70 yesterday, and the key won't turn in the ignition. It won't budge! The steering wheel is not locked, and the shift over-ride button is not stuck. So, the car is stranded and i am about to get it towed. any ideas?? needless to say, i am really bummed. thanks for any help....still in love with my car, tho.
    tracy
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,887
    well, if not the steering wheel lock causing a problem, then its a worn key or worn ignition cylinder.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• tra708tra708 Posts: 3
    Thanks! I got it started by slamming my foot down on the brake as hard as i could, and at the same time, turning the key. Still don't know the cause of the problem, though. thanks for the input. tl
  • pepe7pepe7 Posts: 2
    The coolant on my S70 was a little low, and I accidentally put too much (over the max line). Is there any easy way to drain just enough coolant without having to flush? Any tips and advice is appreciated.
    Wish I could remember exactly how it was on my S70, but you've got a few choices with any car. You can either loosen up a hose, pull it away, and let some come out before putting it back on (suggest small hose off overflow tank to avoid letting too much out). You can loosen the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator and let some out that way. OR you can use a turkey baster and suck it out of the overflow tank. If its not that much, it wouldn't take long to do it this way and might be the most controllable method.

• asikaasika Posts: 8
    I personally will not worry about it; it will run off when it becomes too hot.
  • pepe7pepe7 Posts: 2
    Thanks guys for all tips. I like the turkey baster method! Would having too much coolant be a reason for the radiator indicator to turn on?
    I don't believe so. As the other poster said, it should just go out the overflow hose.

• quote"This is similar to 628 but in a 98 S70 GLT. The engine will run for about 10 seconds and quit. It does not seem to run the fuel pump, however I can remove its fuse and reinsert it and it will pressurize the line so it will run again for another 10 seconds and quit. Any ideas?"

I have a 2000 volvo s70 and I have the same problem. I thought it could be a short in the fuel pump wiring(green and red). I am looking all over the internet for some to answer our problem. So far no luck. Please tell me if you have found the problem. Thanks.
  • ptrosptros Posts: 1
    I fixed my daughters s70 by replacing the coolant temprature sensor. It was giving the ecm a false reading. I hooked a scanner on the car and it was reading 300 degrees f. most of the time it would not start first time in the a.m. some times after sitting for a while. the part came from napa and cost around forty dollars.
  • tim15tim15 Posts: 10
    I have the ABS and Trac COntrol lights on intermittingly on my S70. The car has 117K I also hear an occasional clicking noise from the brakes pedel, as if the ABS is activating, even though I am not braking. When this happens, the ABS and traction lites come on. I was going to order the new ABS module, but then thought it could be a wheel sensor. ANy similar problems or tips? DOn't want to buy a module unless absolutely needed. Thanks
    Its 90% likely the module if you have never replaced it. However, before ordering a new very expensive unit, search this forum and you will find the contact info of someone who will repair it for much much less.

• OK, my problem is when i put the key in the ignition, the key will just spin around and not engage the ignition, or it will engage and not start, after a few prayers, a few jingles, it will eventually start, it might take a few seconds, a few minutes, or a few hours, it all depends, anyone have an idea what this might be caused by?
    Thank you

Chris
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Basically, you need a new ignition.
  • Chris.. Have you checked or replaced the antenna ring? It's the ring around the ignition - where the key is inserted. My probem was similar - started normally, but occasionally and with increased frequency it would not. Replaced the antenna ring - I believe dealer only - and it ran fine. However, 18 months later it's begin to do it again.
  • Hello..we have a 1998 S70 sedan. It has been a terrific car for us, and recently the battery had to be replaced. When we took it in the odometer read 101,000 miles. When we picked it up, it read 12,000 miles. The mechanic had no idea why it happened,,,and many calls to Volvo have resulted in frustration, not information. Does anyone have any idea what may have happened here?
    wow! i mean, wow! I have never ever heard of this happening. Where did you take the car? Something is seriously wrong here (obviously). The ONLY thing I can think of is that your computer was swapped out. Absurd? Yes. Impossible? No. I mean, my theory at this point? The service station did something horribly wrong and fried the CPU, then proceeded to replace it without your knowledge. I dunno. I'm just throwing out a wild idea here.

Now, you ARE talking about the actual odometer and not the trip meter, correct??

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Who replaced the battery?

In theory, the odo can be changed, but it would take access to a VADIS or VIDA setup to do it.
    in other words, it would have to be a deliberate act.
  • I found an 1999 White S70 STD with 71000 miles. Pretty much exactly what I am looking. The options above the standard are leather seats, dual power seats, alloy wheels, automatic and power moon roof. The car was well taken care of mechanically they have the complete service records from the Volvo dealership and an independent they use, they are the 2nd owners. but have the service records from the 1st owner.

However, the leather on seats is cracking and would need to be reupholstered to get into tip top shape. Also, there are a few stains on the backseat carpet because they have children. Besides those items the car is good shape.

For the price they are asking 7,400 and the car is at this place called the Buggy Bank, they are a facilitator to connect buyers with sellers by hosting their cars at a lot, but you do all negotiating with the private seller. According to edmunds the car is worth ~6,650 in good condition and about ~5,500 in fair condition, if buying from a private seller, add a thousand if from a dealer. So, I'd like to make an offer and a fair that is not too high or low and would like an opinion or two.