Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    I've yet to find a truck I could throw around corners as I do with sedans...
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I find a lot of mileage estimates to be crap. Vans which are suppose to be better than SUVs are often not.

I have to say though, with gas prices where they are I am happy to be driving my 04 GP rather than the 02 Yukon I had before. My wife's lease is up in the summer on the Bravada so we may scale back a bit with a Equinox, especially if prices at the pumps stay high.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Posts: 391
    I drove the GP round trip 400 miles over the weekend, with 4 of us and luggage, etc. I got over 28 mpg on the road!
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    I traveled over 3000mls to the Grand Canyon with my Bonneville and it got 29MPG. On a 200ml. trip, my Intrigue got 32MPG. Both of my cars cost me about $130 in fuel last month, or roughly $1500 per year. I don't care about an expense that represents single-digit percent point of my gross income.
  • fgriff1fgriff1 Posts: 18
    Sounds like the dealer is tring to get more $$. I doubt that the blower is bad. My Blower Resistor was replaced about 8 months ago, and no problems since. I would just have this part replaced. Is there another dealer nearby? Pontiac or any GM dealer?
    Frank
  • Hi I just purchased a 2004 Grand Prix GT2 and love it but when I drive the wipers and fluid come on and stay on by themselves it sprays and sparays all over the car. It happened 3x yesterday and it empties out the washer fluid. Also when the wipers are on in the rain the driver wiper goes of the windsheild (it goes out to far) and bangs across the windsheild. Does anyone else have the same problem or know of anyone who does. It is so frustrating when you buy something new and it has problems the first time you take it out!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Take it back and get it fixed.

This ain't right and it is under warranty!
    Sounds like the sprayer needs adjusting. Mine has never been a problem, wipers work well too.
  • harddrivetharddrivet Posts: 90
    Yes, I am going to get another quote.
    Thanks.
    Sure is quiet here, yikes!
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Posts: 1,058
    Are there any cup holders in the back seat? I was unable to find any in my friends new GP.
  • Hey everyone,

I'm a Regal GS owner with a car I might want to trade in sometime during the next few months. With the Regal going into the dustbin of history, what are some things you GP GTP owners have to report?

I know the new GTP is modified to pump out a bit more hp but the same torque. Do most of you find the ride to be kind of on the harsh or tolerable side for the new/old GP GTP's?

You might say, "why not buy another GS?" Well, good luck finding one. Most GS owners are happy with their cars, despite declining sales the past few years, and seem to be holding onto them. I know the cars are supposed to be essentially similar, but you never know what one GM division might do better/worse than another one might.

Thanks
  • Much to my amazement, Pontiac decided to build the 04 Grand Prix without rear cupholders. Supposedly this will be addressed in the 05 model.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    You wrote: the cars are supposed to be essentially similar

Except:

1. comfort, and
    2. attracting cops attention.

I saw few used GS for sale on e-bay.
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    The 2004 GP is a large step forward in refinement over the previous generation. I owned a 1996, 2000(GTP) and 2003 GP's. i didn't buy a 2004 but have lived in a 2004 as a rental at least a half dozen times and driven a few thousand miles in it. My M-in-law owns a 2000 GS. The Buick has a higher level of nicer trim, fit and finish. It isn't as quick, but the ride is a bit softer, and handling doesn't feel as crisp. But my biggest complaint with the 2004 GP would be around the Mtls, fit & finish and the bright red driver info LCD.

I recommend you rent one for a day (unlimited miles) and drive it.
  • I like the info LCD, although I can see how it might look a little cheesey. I LOVE my HUD - it's one of the reasons I got the 04 GP.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    I sat in the backseat of my family's 02 GP last weekend. We went from Jersey to Virgina: 6 hours to Virgina on Saturday and then 6 hours back to Jersey on Sunday. The GP's backseat was pretty comfy to sit in for that long of a trip.
  • This weekend I have to take the family to Boston, which is a 6-hr trip. I'm debating whether to take the GP or my Chevy Avalanche. The truck has a lot more room, but gets terrible gas mileage.
  • gunitgunit Posts: 469
    I would disagree about the 2004 GP being a "large step forward in refinement over the previous generation" Especially when the previous generation had automatic digital climate control, rear seat cup holders and child proof rear door switch, something the 2004 lacks!! Furthermore the back seat was slightly better on the 1997-2003 then the brick of a backseat on the 2004, IMHO. Also the supposed new for 2004 GP is built on the SAME chassis and uses the same drivetrain as the 1997 Grand Prix, LOL! The engine sound was just as loud in the 2004 as the 1997 I had.

I have personally owned a 1997 GTP coupe and now 2002 GTP coupe and have driven the 2004 many times as a rental. I will NOT be buying a new GTP until GM brings back a coupe. I guess it will be a GTO next time around in 2007 if it is still around.

BTW the supercharged Buick Regal is just as fast as the GTP, same 0-60 and 1/4 mile specs. The Ultimate sleeper,knowone expects that Buick to run a sub 6.8 second time, LOL!
  • tateostateos Posts: 36
    Does anyone know if the 4T65E used on the 2004 GTPs uses the same type of "semi-permanent" (replace only if damaged) transmission pan gasket as used on the 4T80E in my Eldorado?

Thanks for your response.
    I don't think there will be a Grand Prix coupe any time soon again. I think the Monte Carlo gets a refresh next year so you might want to look there. Coupes are still slow sellers in the midsize car world. GTO is definitely a step up but it also costs $$ more.

I do think the new GPs a re a bit more refined though. Not a lot, but a little. All good anyway.
  • 88kx88kx Posts: 5
    I'm hearing problems with the 3800 Gen II engines and the intake plentum. Seems GM located the egr near the plastic plentum and it warps the plastic allowing coolant into the intake system. Can't believe at least 5yrs worth of production on that engine is doomed to fail and there is no recall or anything being done by GM to help owners that have over 50K. It's and engineering defect that they finally cured by going back to metal plentums on the Gen. III engines. I would not recommend buying any GM products with 3.1 3.4 or 3.8 engines. That doesn't leave much does it.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    As you are aware, there is nothing to be afraid of with your 2000 Grand Prix. The upper intake degragation issue concerns the 1995-1998 (not 5 years) as you have posted before. And even if an owner was to ignore the coolant loss, the engine is not doomed to fail. Even engines that have been hydrolocked, have had th eupper manifold replaced and run again. Seems to be more reports of it happening with the Bonneville then the Grand Prix for some reason. The price of the upper manifold has been coming down since aftermartket units have been introduced. So the cost isn't that bad if you have to do it once your extended service plan runs out.
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    Actually Pontiac did a recall on Non-supercharged Series II 3800 through the 2003 model. (They had a beefier intake on the SC) I got the recall for my 2003 shortly after purchasing it. I do believe there was something in the notice about owners with cars out of warranty.
    I would ask or even call a regional rep to see.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
     The recall on the 2000 to 2003 was for the replacement of throttle body mounting nuts that could loosen and the addition of cooling seal tabs. Had nothing to do with the 1995-1998 Upper intake manifold degragation issue the first post was talking about.
  • Date: July 1, 2004

Subject: Upcoming Safety Recall
    04055 – Front Frame Assembly

Models: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

Based on information from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) web site, the media may report that General Motors will be announcing a safety recall involving certain 2004 model year Pontiac Grand Prix vehicles.

Some of these vehicles may have cracks in the structural walls of the front frame assembly – right rear body mount bracket. Loads on the bracket during vehicle use could cause failure of the right bracket, and both rear body mounts could eventually detach from the frame structure. If this occurred, the rear of the frame would drop further, possibly causing the steering intermediate shaft to become detached from the rack and pinion steering assembly, resulting in a total loss of steering control.

To correct this condition, dealers will inspect the front frame assemblies for specific manufacturing date stamps on 315 suspect vehicles. They will replace the engine cradle assemblies in 51 vehicles that may have cracked brackets. These repairs will be performed at no cost to the customers.

GM is working with its suppliers to obtain the parts needed to correct this condition as quickly as possible. Based on the anticipated schedule, we plan to begin notifying customers about this recall during the third quarter of 2004. GMVIS information will not be available until the recall is formally announced.
  • bobinnjbobinnj Posts: 22
    I purchased a 2004 Grand Prix GTP via direct factory order in Sept. 2003. The vehicle has performed generally without problems until this summer when, in fairly hot weather (>/= 90F), I notice the AC takes a long time to cool the cabin, especially after it's been sitting in the sun for a few hours, (this is with the fan and thermostat set to max cool and recirculate button on). Even after 15-20 mins, having open the windows initially to let the hot air out, the air coming out of the vents is not very cool, and definitely not ice cold, as my Nissan SUV puts out. It feels more like just the fan blowing, with little refrigeration. I have taken the GTP to 2 different Pontiac dealerships, who have checked the freon level, done a 'dye' test (for freon leaks?) and temp. check and told "nothing is wrong, it's cooling to 45 degs - thats' how it's supposed to work.". I even had my salesman let me sit in a new '04 GTP on the lot and check the AC, and it seems to be the same way - takes at least 10 mins to blow cool, and never ice cold. One of the service advisors at the dealership made the comment, "GM redesigned their AC units a while back". I don't know if he meant there was a change in the type of freon, which I think has been done industry wide, or something else, but I haven't been able to find any info on this on the net. Wonder if any other '04 GP owners have experienced the same thing, or if this is unique to my GTP? I've owned quite a few non-GM cars in the past 20 years with AC's, and this definitely is not cooling very well compared to them. Any suggestions - other than to move to Canada or Alaska?
    Just read your question about the 'heat' problem inside your new GP. I have a Sport Red GTP with light parchment leather, but I have noticed after the car has been sitting in the sun for several hours, the cabin is quite warm, and despite cranking the AC up to max., opening the windows initially, and then putting on the recirculate button, I can't get it to cool down sooner than about 15-20 mins. When it's really hot out, it feels like the air coming out isn't even refrigerated. Had it to the dealer 3X (2 different ones) and had the AC thoroughly checked and told everything was as per specs. Even sat in a new GTP on the dealers lot, with max AC on and it seemed to work the same - quite a long delay in cooling down. Now that the hot weather is here - wonder if anyone else has noticed this problem and if this is unique to the new GP, or model-wide for GM now? This is my first GM car, but family members have owned many Buicks, Chevys and Pontiacs over the years and they always had strong air conditioning - to the point where you had to turn it down it got so cold after a few mins. Defnitely not the case with my '04 GTP.
    Well living in Canada in July is just as bad as anywhere for heat with all the humidity right now. With the humidex it can top 100F around here. The a/c in my 04 GT works great, ice cold. I can not see how they will not fix or replace your unit. Clearly something is wrong.
    Thanks for your input. Question - if you have your GT in the sun, 90F or higher for a few hours, with the cabin hot when you get in, how long does it take to cool down to where it's comfortable (or you have to turn down the AC)? Mine is definitely not getting 'ice cold' so guess it is defective, but dealer is unwilling to do anything. Guess my only recourse is writing to zone manager, or Detroit, a lot of good that will do! - Bob
This discussion has been closed.