Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    Have not heard from you in a while.

New freshened Monte Carlo on the way. It looks much better in my opinion. A 2 door G6 is coming also, mite be an option for ya down the road.
  • tateostateos Posts: 36
    I haven't visited this board in a while, but I see there have been a lot of posts about bad AC. For what it's worth, our 2004 GTP blows really ice cold almost instantly, and we live in the Phoenix area where it is frequently 110+ at drive home time during the summer.

Also, we have had our GTP since December, have about 5,500 miles on it and haven't had a lick of trouble yet, not that I would expect anything so soon.

Richard Moore
  • vacekvacek Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying an 04 GTP utilizing my supplier discount. Is anyone familiar with how this works? The general feeling I get is that it is expected that you not haggle on price, but especially with the 05's on their way out that means that the price since the it came out has only gone down by the rebates gm is putting out(since supp disc is same from day 1 - consequently 05 is only 2000 more than comparable 04). Also, does the supplier discount come from the dealer or from GM's end?
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    If you qualify for the GM Supplier program it is a preset price that is on every vehicle invoice. So yes there is no price haggle required or expected. For the near term it is also recommended by GM to dealers that they do not charge any doc fees above what may be legally required in thier state.

The rebate is potentialy lager between the years. There is a $655 allowance if the GTP has the leather interior, only on the 2004s. Also an additional $1,000 rebate if the buyer goes through GMAC.

As far as who's end it comes from, the dealer is the one selling the car. And it is can be less then they would normally sell for. And they don't get their usual doc fees. But they do save the time spent in the traditional sale proccess, so it could be a wash. And GM gets another car sold, so they are ahead. And the buyer gets a decent price and a simplified buying proccess, so they are ahead.

As far as your underlying question fo which year. There are product changes for 2005 that you may find important (MP3, Nav, Remote Start, Auto A/C) enough to go that route. Also depends on if the dealer can find a 2004 they way you want. And if you were not planning on going GMAC, the price difference may not be more then $655.
    I would go 05 just for an MP3 player alone!

;-)
  • I just passed my first year and 19,000 miles on the GP. For the most part it has been a good experience. The only real problem I'm having is wind noise in the rear driver's side door, vibration of the interior doorhandle on the rear passenger-side door, and a popping sound coming from the sunroof due to expansion/contraction of plastic around it.
    I have no sunroof so I have no problem with it.

;-)

I had some loose trim fixed up, aside from that my 04 has been trouble free and the A/C is cold. I have about 23000 kms on it now.
  • I opted for the 04 gtp w/o the competition pkg, but was curious if anyone knows how much the 3.29 axle ratio would help over the standard in 0-60 times and what it might cost to change to the 3.29
    and if there are any other changes that have to be made. thanks, logger
  • I believe the CompG only improves the 0-60 time by 0.10 second. But I think it also helps with handling.
  • Just got back to Ontario from a 3500km trip to the US on a 2004 GT1 with 30,000kms on the odometer.
    Some observations:

-gas mileage- average 13.5km per litre highway at 100-120km per hour. Car was fully loaded with 4 people - 37 miles per imperial gallon. Got 800kms in the first tank before the low fuel light came on.
    -air conditioning was not a problem.
    -lots of power to accelerate evem from 120km/hr.
    -seats are a little stiff front and back. Hard to take a nap in the back seats because of the steep rake of the rear windows.
    -no rattles as of yet inside the car.

would be interested in other observations on long trips.
  • I am currently looking to purchase a new car. I'm looking at 2004's and hoping to get a good deal on one. I have done a lot of research and have narrowed it down to 4. I want a car that is comfortable, safe, gets good gas mileage, powerful, quiet, looks nice, and drives well. I was hoping you all could give some much appreciated advice/feedback and if you have/had one of the cars listed below, how much you paid for it and likes/dislikes/problems! I have it narrowed down to:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2
    2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS
    2004 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE
    2004 Toyota Camry LE V6

I have only driven the GT2. I plan on test driving the others very soon.

Thanks!
    Kristen
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    FWIW,

Keep an eye on torque steering when driving the Altima. It's said to be horrible.

Look critically at the fit and finish in the GP and in the Malibu.

The Camry is a good all-around car, but many might disagree why it made in your list with its looks. :-)

If you can wait, try to drive the Pontiac G6 late in the fall.

Good luck and, please, keep us abreast of your driving impressions.
  • I realize that I am new to this forum and this question has probably already been asked, but....
    1. Will the 05 GP get a V8 and RWD?
    and
    2. Will the 05 get any body changes?

Thanx alot guys!
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    V8, yes (optional), RWD, no, not until '08 or '09.
    Body changes: don't think so.
  • rkw2rkw2 Posts: 66
    From day one I had this feeling that the odometer is showing more miles than I've actually driven. Yesterday I had the opportunity to test the miles driven against mileage markers on the Parkway. My odometer was consistently showing 1/10 more per every 2 miles driven (mileage marker at 2 miles; odometer at 2.1 miles).

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone know how I can correct it? I assume I need to contact a federal government agency, but not sure which one. Remember its a federal offense to do anything with the odometer.

Thanks...
  • There are no federal regulations on odometer accuracy, so there is no need to contact any agency. Any odometer replacement requires the new odometer to be set to match the old one, but you don't need a replacement. Highway signage is not considered accurate enough today to check. The preferred method is a hand held GPS unit. And you don't mention what year Grand Prix you have, but the 2004 (one I see the most) dosen't use "tenths" on the odometer. The trip odometer shouldn't be used to compare. But with the figures you give you are right on the industry standard of +/-4%. +4% of 2 miles would be 2.08 miles or 2.1 miles on a trip odometer.
  • is the GP? I know it comes with dual airbags and side head-curtain are optional. Is this car safe even without the side head-curtain? I researched the crast test rating of the car and it got 3 out of 5 stars for safety. I can't seem to find this car on a lot with the additional airbags. That's one of the reasons I like the malibu, but I like the look of the GP better. This is a tough decision!

Thanks!
    Kristen
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,530
    "V8, yes (optional)"

Source?
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Wondering what V8 - and why I have not heard about it elsewhere . . .
    I believe there is a GXP version coming, with a version of the 5.3L V8. Not sure if it will be an '05 or an '06. Google "grand prix gxp" 5.3L V8 and you can even see a website with spy shots...

--Robert
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,530
    Ah - that rumor.
    We'll see . . .
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Hoping for a different trans., at least, or this GXP exercise is likely doomed . . .
  • I was at the dealer getting an oil change last week and the service rep mentioned that there was an '05 black Grand Prix on the lot with a Northstar V8. I had seen the car but hadn't looked under the hood. The Northstar comes with 320 ponies. Pretty awsome. Of course that means that once again Pontiac, the 'excitement division' went once again to another GM Division to get a high perfomance engine. Buick for the 3.8, Chevy for the 350 in the GTO, and now, Cadillac for the Northstar V8.
    I find it difficult to believe that there's a 320hp Northstar under the hood of a Grand Prix - at least from the factory (i.e. not a show or custom car). IIRC the 300/320 HP Northstars are RWD-only powertrains. This is one reason why the Bonneville GXP got the L36 275 hp engine.

Something doesn't seem right here.
  • I'm going to have to go back and find out for sure. I hope I don't have to eat crow on this one.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Posts: 232
    I doubt its 320 hp; even Lutz said that 300 was the limit for FWD. The Bonneville GXP only has 275 HP so I think the dude was yanking your chain.
  • Why wouldn't a prototype/concept car have morehorsepower (320) then the production version will? Didn't the "G-Force" the prototype/concept version of the 2004 Grand Prix have 300hp, and the production version 260hp?
    "Why wouldn't a prototype/concept car have morehorsepower (320) then the production version will?"

Let me re-state what I said:

"I find it difficult to believe that there's a 320hp Northstar under the hood of a Grand Prix - at least from the factory (i.e. not a show or custom car)."

I'm stating that I doubt that any factory-produced, for sale at a dealer car has a 320 hp Northstar under the hood. The only place I'd expect to see that is in, as you said, a show or custom car :-)

--Robert
  • We both agree, the car the post refers to isn't a production car. My post was pointing out that prototype/concept cars often have more horsepower then production cars.
  • Sounds like I stirred things up. I am going to find out for sure. I can't get back there until next week so please don't flame me until then....
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    Sounds to me like its another case of "Car Salesman BS." They will BS you about anything to get you interested in something. They will tell you the sky is green and the grass is partly cloudy. My guess is, the salesman was talking about a Bonneville, and got it conufused with the Grand Prix. Let us know what you find out. We won't hold it against you, just be sure to tell us what dealership it was so we know not to buy a car from them!
  • There is a GP GXP coming next year, as an 06 I believe that will have the 5.3 V8. This is most likely the last year for the Bonneville and the GP will move up slightly to fill some of the Bonneville sales.