Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I drove the '04 CTS 3.6L yesterday.
    Quite the engine and transmission.
    I posetd a review in the CTS thread.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    gunit : I consider a sport sedan (not a sports car) anything that has good power and handles well. Maybe it's a broad definition, but I consider the GP a sport sedan in GT or GTP form. Mazda 6 (6 cyl), V6 Accord, Intrigue, V6 Passat, Maxima, V6 Altima and a few others are all in that group. Camry, 4 banger versions, Taurus, Buick LeSabre and a few others are not.

midlife : I agree. It's about C$4500 list more for a GTP up here and with added insurance and gas costs it can add up for something you may not want or need. The GTP also has a harsher ride which may not be good for people who live in areas with bad roads. GT2 seems to me to be the bast value with ABS and alloys standard.
  • gunitgunit Posts: 469
    Midlifecrisis,

I 100% agree with you, That is a good price on your 2002 Avalanche. Just like you I've been making extra payments on my 30yr mortgage so that I will be done with it in in 20 yrs and saving nearly $100k in the process. I usually pay my 5 yr car loans in 2-3 yrs as long as finances dictate. I refuse to pay any more then $350 per month for a car.

One of my friends just leased a new pacifica for nearly $500 a month, can you imagine? In 3 yrs they will have nothing to show for it.
    Dindak, we just have a difference of opinion, we are entitled to it, I don't consider any Front wheel drive car a sports sedan, esp with 65/35 weight distribution. My 95 Aurora was 70/30, The V6 camry has heavy understeer and bad body lean, I followed one in the twisties the other day, the new '02, he was leaning all over the place, There are some 4 bangers like the Sentra R that are pretty impressive, watch out for WRX that will spank a GTP handling and pwr and only has a 4 banger, I consider a BMW/Mercedes/G35 a true sports sedan and with near 50/50 weight distribution.

In 2002 the GTP was $3k more then a GT, but with that, you got many features that were OPTIONS on a GT, like HUD, ONSTAR, DIC, better radio, etc. That was more then offset by the $3k rebate. Yes gas and insurance is more, but I figured the GTP to cost me about $1k more per year total, big whoop, esp based on what I was getting, my opinion.
    No Camry is sporty. They are made for old people like Buicks.

When I said 4 banger sedans, I meant mid-size, not pocket rockets.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    $35G is way too much for a car in my budget. In this price range there are other options, but none is a full-size.

But I get free loaners even for my SLE...

As a matter of fact, I find the I35 hideous. The G35 is much more appealing, IMO.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    $500 a month and it is a lease? Geez, that seems to defeat the whole attraction of leasing as a lease typically nets you a lower monthly payment. My guess is due to Chrysler's historically low residual value, the leasing companies are playing it on the conservative side with the Pacifica until they have been around a few years.
    Gas is cheap, premium or not. At roughly 10% more, it amounts to about $150 more per year. I don't think that it would make a whole in anyone's pocket who just bought a new car...
    I don't want that stripped G35, believe me. Actually, it sounds like a bait and switch scheme.

But, yes, many imports' prices are falling while GM's are rising... :-P
    I wouldn't say "only a 4-banger" when it's fed by a high-pressure turbo...
    Anyone has ever had Yokohama Avid Tourig? They seem to fare well at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/touring.jsp and have a unbeatable price.

TIA
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    Gunit, as far as I'm concerned the GT is a sport sedan. Big tires, lots o grunt power, superb handling and sporty looks all around fit my definition. I guess everyone has their own thoughts on what sport means.

In terms of upgrading to the GTP, no thanks. While it's nice to have that power, I don't need it and to pay $5000 for something I don't need or want makes no sense. Breaking it down to $50/month doesn't make it any better either, you sound like a car salesman when you do that!
    Dan165, << I guess everyone has their own thoughts on what sport means.>>

You are right. Everybody has their opinion, the GP has the looks and peformance, but in my opinion it is only a sports sedan in GTP form. My '97 and '02 GTP's when stock did NOT feel like sports sedans to me when driven hard, after going to P245 50 16 Michelin Pilots and some small suspension/brake/and MAJOR engine upgrades then it felt like more like a sport car to me.

And NO I am not a car salesman, back in 2002 the GTP was only $3k more then the GT and the $3k rebate negated that... so I bascially got my GTP for the same price of a GT back in '02. Plus the GTP holds its resale value a little higher. It also depends on how much $$ you are putting down on the car, I alwasy put enough down between cash and trade in to keep my payments below $350 per month
    Evandro, I bought the I30t in 2001 as a replacement for my 1995 Aurora, and got the 4yr 60k warranty, free I35 loaner cars for anything including an oil change, free car washes/vacuums, best dealer service I have ever experienced and 10x better service then any GM dealer including caddy I have ever been to, not to mention much higher resale value and build quality on the Infiniti vs GM on avg, but every mfg has their lemons.

Fullsized doesn't mean everything, my 1995 Aurora didn't have the room you would expect of a fullsized car and only had a 3 star crash rating. My i30t has the same 102 cu ft of space of the 1995-1999 Fullsized Aurora did and nearly the same sized 16 cu ft trunk. The I30t had the same performance or faster with a V6 vs the Aurora V8 and got about 4 miles better to the gallon. The I30t engine was smoother at high rpms as well. I30t could turn circles around the aurora, which was boatish at times. Historically the I30t holds its resale value much better and is much more reliable, though time will tell.

Yes the i30t is a bit bland/boring/dull, my aurora was a looker, no doubt, only thing I miss about it. At least I don't have to pour 1 quart of oil every month into the I30t Like I did with the typical oil burning Northstar found in my '95 Aurora.
    Regfootball, in my area you can get a leftover 2003 I35 with leather/sunroof /Bose radio/Xenon HID headlamps and the 255hp 3.5L V6 for $28k or less, pretty good for the $$. The styling is a bit bland, but also a 4yr 60k warranty and free loaner cars. Car does 0-60 in 7 seconds flat or better. Only negatives are bland sytling and bad torque steer.

Yes I would NOT want a stripped G35 either, I alwasy get my cars fully loaded.
    The Bonny and GP have the same sized 16 cu ft trunk, to me there isn't much more room in the Bonny. Cars are very similar in size. I think only 100 or 200 pounds seperates them?

For the price of the Bonny SSEI one can buy a lexus or Infiniti or Acura and get the longer warranty and better build quality, my opinion/2 cents.
    "so I bascially got my GTP for the same price of a GT"

No you didn't, what kind of wierd math is that? You would have likely got about the same off a GT so you still paid about $3K more for a GTP.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    I'd been thinking the same thing, but I didn't want to rain on his parade!
  • sdasda Posts: 308
    I replaced the Goodyear Eagle LS tires with Yokohama Avid Touring on my 2000 Intrigue GL. I believe the GP uses the same size tire. I also read the Tire Rack comments as well as consulted Consumer Reports before making the decision. They seem to be decent tires for the price. They're quiet, ride well and seem to do well in rain. Handling tires they're not. If the Intrigue was our primary car, I think I would have sprung for a more performance oriented tire, ideally Michelin Pilots or something similar. Hope this helps.
    Dindak, Yes I did
    "so I bascially got my GTP for the same price of a GT"

<<No you didn't, what kind of wierd math is that? You would have likely got about the same off a GT so you still paid about $3K more for a GTP.>>

No, Let me explain it better I got almost $6k off MSRP on my fully loaded 2002 GTP coupe in Sept. 2002, $28k msrp, I paid a tad over $22k. Dealer gave me the $3k rebate and took off nearly another $3k to unload it, since it had sat for 3 months on their lot, and the 2003's were just coming out, the dealer had to unload it, plus knowone wanted a coupe, I pretty much stole it for that price. The dealers were NOT giving the extra $3k off on the remaining GT coupes because they were selling better then the GTP coupes, bigtime.... So YES, I paid the same or less for my GTP coupe then a GT coupe? now do you understand?

I paid LESS $$ for my new 2002 GTP coupe then my new 1997 GTP coupe. Was in the right place at the right time.

A GTP is very good car for $22k, after my mods it is still CHEAPER & beats the '04's in every peformance category, besides the 2004's are NOT worth $28 - $30k.. That is Infiniti aka luxury territory.