Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,526
    Grand Prix - Coolant info. from manual:

Engine Coolant
    The cooling system in the vehicle is filled with
    DEX-COOL® engine coolant. This coolant is designed
    to remain in the vehicle for five years or 150,000 miles
    (240 000 km), whichever occurs first, if only
    DEX-COOL® extended life coolant is added.
    The following explains the cooling system and how to
    add coolant when it is low. If there is a problem
    with engine overheating or if coolant needs to be added
    to the radiator, see Engine Overheating on page 5-27.
    A 50/50 mixture of clean, drinkable water and
    DEX-COOL® engine coolant will:
    • Give freezing protection down to −34°F (−37°C).
    • Give boiling protection up to 265°F (129°C).
    • Protect against rust and corrosion.
    • Help keep the proper engine temperature.
    • Let the warning lights and gages work as they
    should.
    Notice: Using coolant other than DEX-COOL® may
    cause premature engine, heater core or radiator
    corrosion. In addition, the engine coolant may
    require changing sooner, at 30,000 miles (50 000 km)
    or 24 months, whichever occurs first. Any repairs
    would not be covered by your warranty. Always use
    DEX-COOL® (silicate-free) coolant in your vehicle.

What to Use
    Use a mixture of one-half clean, drinkable water and
    one-half DEX-COOL® engine coolant which will
    not damage aluminum parts. If this coolant mixture is
    used, nothing else needs to be added.
    {CAUTION:
    Adding only plain water to your cooling
    system can be dangerous. Plain water, or
    some other liquid such as alcohol, can boil
    before the proper coolant mixture will. Your
    vehicle’s coolant warning system is set for the
    proper coolant mixture. With plain water or the
    wrong mixture, your engine could get too hot
    but you would not get the overheat warning.
    Your engine could catch fire and you or others
    could be burned. Use a 50/50 mixture of clean,
    drinkable water and DEX-COOL® coolant.
    Notice: If you use an improper coolant mixture,
    your engine could overheat and be badly damaged.
    The repair cost would not be covered by your
    warranty. Too much water in the mixture can freeze
    and crack the engine, radiator, heater core and
    other parts.
    If coolant needs to be added more than four times a
    year, have your dealer check the cooling system.
    Notice: If you use the proper coolant, you do not
    have to add extra inhibitors or additives which claim
    to improve the system. These can be harmful.

- from pages 5-24 / 5-25 of the 2005 manaul.
    2004 is likely also online.

- Ray
    Not sure what you’d need this info. for unless you have the car - and a (printed) manual. . .
  • bgasbgas Posts: 1
    HAVE A 2000 GRAND PRIX GT 3800. HOW TO REPLACE #6 PLUG, WITH WHICH THE PLUG WIRE IS UP AGAINST SOMETHING GOING INTO THE EXHAUST?
  • jaystyjaysty Posts: 1
    Ok, brace yourself. I had that problem about two months ago. Atleast the same thing kept happening to me. The tire problem. Pontiac is dumb and the wheel well just isn't that big. I dont know why, but thats what the people at my dealership told me. The low coolant is a big deal. Get your headgasket checked if its at all possible. My headgasket just went about a month ago and i had to sink alota money into my car, and i was without a vehicle for about 10 days. They had to replace the entire headgasket and it was a small fortune. If your car starts randomly getting hot and then cooling down really fast thats gotta be what its from. And its not a temp. gauge problem...the car really is that hot when it says it is. I hope that thats not your problem but if so, good luck.
    I have posted info regarding my initial impressions of my Grand Prix GXP on the Future Vehicles \ GXP board.
    Just f.y.i., as the GXP has been in production for a while, and is now available. . .
    - Ray
    Happy Grand Prix GXP driver . .
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Kirstie will move the disucssion over here to Sedans eventually. :-) Congrats on your new ride!!!
  • louibugglouibugg Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Now about a year ago I had the engine replaced, due to what I think was an error from my local garage, but it can't be proven. I do have the same noise coming from my supercharger. I have some links that might help you I am about to replace my supercharger and hopefully I will be able to aid some advice after my experience. I have talked to some garages about replacement and everyone seems to agree that the supercharger is a bolt on attachment, (bolts and one gasket). It shouldn't be really that hard. I know buying a supercharger from a dealer is high priced. Check here first before buying.
    http://www.psesuperchargers.com/products.Orignal.Pontiac.GP9902.htm

Good luck and respond back please
  • evitaevita Posts: 1
    I paid $843 eighteen months ago to fix my ABS brakes because the ABS light came on when I hit a bump. The dealer service dept. fixed a couple "codes" (I guess from the computer diagnosis) and when I took the car home, it did the exact same thing. I had asked for the old parts and the dealer said there was nothing you could see. Then they replaced the harness which did the trick. I think they fixed the wrong thing and I complained so they didn't charge me any extra for the new harness. Now the ABS light's been coming on again and they say it needs a new left wiring harness-- which was replaced 18 months ago and only has a 12-month warranty. The part is $77 and the total with labor is $248. I asked why it would need replaced again and they said it might be the new corrosive salt liquid from the winter roads. I'm upset. Does anyone know if this makes sense? Anyway, evern if I don't get it fixed, I'm out $80 for a diagnostic fee. Do I really need ABS brakes? Suggestions?
  • I'm looking at a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP at a dealership. It's the "special edition" with special edition tags in the side of the front doors. Overall the car is in great condition. Here is some more info on it:

It has 22,000 miles.
    VIN #: 2G2WR524041324805 (If anyone can look up a record on this and let me know please do, I do not have any subscription with CarFax or anything.

AIR CONDITIONING
    AM/FM STEREO RADIO CD PLAYER
    CRUISE CONTROL
    DRIVER SIDE AIR BAG
    FRONT BUCKET SEATS
    GAUGE CLUSTER
    LEATHER UPHOLSTERY
    MASTER WINDOW LOCK
    PASSENGER SIDE AIR BAG
    POWER BRAKES
    POWER DOOR LOCKS
    POWER DRIVER'S SEAT
    POWER STEERING
    POWER SUNROOF
    POWER WINDOWS
    RADIAL TIRES
    RECLINING SEATS
    STEREO CONTROL
    IN STEERING
    TACHOMETER
    TILT STEERING WHEEL
    TINTED GLASS
    TRIP ODOMETER

It has driver side controls as well, and well it's pretty much fully loaded, except for having the manumatic transmission. Other than that it drives like a beast, and it's just awesome.

The dealership is asking 19,300 for the car, and they want 400 to take care of the DMV work such as getting plates.

If you guys could just advice me on what i'm paying too much for i'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
  • Oh yes here is a picture also...

“it's pretty much fully loaded, except for having the manumatic transmission. Other than that it drives like a beast, and it's just awesome.

The dealership is asking 19,300 for the car, and they want 400 to take care of the DMV work such as getting plates.

If you guys could just advice me on what i'm paying too much for i'd appreciate it.”

Given that a new “base” GXP is now going for less than $25K (with GM Employee pricing for all), and it has everything I see listed above except the sunroof as standard, plus all of the CompG ‘goodies’ (including TapShift), plus the ‘beastliness’ of the 5.3L V8, and associated upgrades to wheels / tires, brakes, suspension w/Bilstein dampers, Magnasteer II, Stabilitrak Sport, significantly upgraded / strengthened 4T65-E trans., a Heads Up Display, the uplevel (5 button) Driver Information Center, etc., I do not see $19K worth of car in a 2004 with 22K miles.

Just my 0.2 gallons worth . . .
    - Ray
    Admitting bias = just bought a GXP, and achieving many ‘smiles per gallon’ . . .
    Correction to my post above:
    Leather is NOT included in the GXP, it is an option.
    My mistake.
    Sorry for any confusion.
    But my evaluation stands.
    With GMS pricing in effect, I see no good reason to buy a 1 year old GTP with 22,000 miles for that price. . .
    - Ray
    No excuse . .
  • v8catv8cat Posts: 6
    Look at my post #4157 giving all the problems I had with a 2004 GTP. I just traded it in and it had almost the same equipment as this car except it was not a "special edition". Mine also had XM radio. Kelly Blue Book on mine wa $14000.

Think Twice
  • kmoneykmoney Posts: 1
    I have (had) the same issue with my Pontiac radio. I just finished fixing it. I have the cd player option on mine. Here's what I did:

-Pull the radio from the vehicle
    -Remove the face of the radio. The face is one unit that has clips that snap around the edges of the metal housing.
    -Once removed you will see the bulb behind the display screen.
    -Remove the bulb by placing a flat screw driver in the slot in the center of the bulb housing and turn.
    -Replace bulb.

I'm not sure were you can order a replacement. I went to my local automotive store and found a similar bulb, removed the new bulb from it's housing and soldered it into the existing radio housing.

It was rather simple. Good luck.

Now if I could only get my back speakers to work all the time and my cd player to work. (error E20) I'd be happy!
  • lateritelaterite Posts: 2
    Just got a 97 GP GT with 72k miles...very pleased with it so far. However, the big peeve I have right now is that whenever I need to run A/C, windshield defog, heater, etc., there is a constant high-frequency chirp/squeak that comes from the passenger side when the fan is running. It happens even at the lowest fan speed setting.

I assume it's coming from within the blower motor, since that sits under the dash behind the glove box, hence the sound originating at the passenger side. Does the fan or motor need replacing/lubricating? Is this something easily performed "DIY"?

Thanks,
    -Mark
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I wonder if the GXPs MSRP will drop in 2006 given the Impala SS will be coming in around $27-28K US?
  • mike9476mike9476 Posts: 3
    I have a quick question: Has anyone had any luck getting GM to foot at least part of the bill for an intake manifold repair on the 3.1l when it fails within months of the warranty expiring? Ours is leaking and the car has only 32K miles, but is a few months past the warranty. If anyone has had any luck with this, please let me know since it is pretty expensive to fix. Oh yeah, we do have an extended warranty...that excludes seals and gaskets. What a crock.
  • cwbgtpcwbgtp Posts: 2
    I bought a 98 gtp not to long ago but i want to hear the supercharger a little more. What should I do spend over $200 for a thrasher cold air induction kit or will a k&n air intake kit for $50 do the same thing. Any suggestions?????
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    My dad has a '98 GP GT, with 3.8 V6, and 130k miles on it. He is wondering whether is it worth it to have the transmission fluid changed. He is the second owner. He got it in May of '02 with 56k on it, and to his knowledge the fluid has never been changed. Is it worth it, or would it cause trouble with it having that many miles on it? Input is appreciated!
  • cwbgtpcwbgtp Posts: 2
    Yeah I would change the fluid if it hasnt already been changed!!!! I believe it says in the manual around 70,000 to change. I have has my gtp for 2 months and i have already had to put 1,000 bucks into it. These trannys are great!
  • cripaldencripalden Posts: 5
    do u know why my 2000 gtp instrument cluster might be only flashing zeros? I have had the car for a year and can only remember a few times that it actually gave a proper reading for boost or mpg.

also, the tracion controll seems to not work either. could it be that all i have to do is replace the module (information cluster above the radio)?

chris
  • rhino17rhino17 Posts: 1
    Saw your post, and I am having the same problem. Could you tell me how to remove the radio from the dashboard?

Thanks for taking time to reply!
    Rhino17
  • I have a 97 Grand Prix GT 3.8 and it has been making a loud groaning noise when the a/c is on and the noise can be heard more from the inside of the car than the outside. The noise is really loud when I have the a/c on and I am in drive and stopped with my foot on the brake or going a slower speed and when turning slowly. The noise only seems to be a problem when stopped or going at a slow speed with the a/c on and diminishes when I get up to speed. The a/c works fine though the entire time. The noise can also be heard under the same conditions when the defroster is on but not as bad as when the a/c is on. The car has 150k on it but it has been an excellent car and has not had many problems. Does anyone have any clue as to what could be causing the noise? :confuse:
    Thanks! ;)
  • cripaldencripalden Posts: 5
    I haven't removed the radio, but the pannel around the speedo, cluster and clock needs to be un-done first under the dash near the drivers leg area. Once the bolts are removed, carefully pull on the outside edge of the entire dash cover. There are clips around the edges that just snap/clip on. Be careful not to lose or break any of them. this will expose the entire driver dash area, including the radio.

chris
  • rugerp90rugerp90 Posts: 2
    Alright, another problem with my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. Its a nice car, but I'm getting tired of all the problems I'm having. The problem that is existing now is this.....I got in my car and turned it over, but the key locked up in the start position so I could not turn the car off or even get the starter to stop. Also being in the start position it is prohibiting my electric windows, A/C, door locks and radio from working period. I took it to the dealership immediately and they had to disconnect the battery cable to shut the car off. It had a really loud gringing sound (starter or flywheel?) when the car was either in park or neutral, but would not make the grinding sound in drive or reverse. Just to park the car, I had to leave it in drive and set the emergency brake. It will be a min. of a week before they will be able to diagnos the problem. meanwhile, I would like to see if anyone could give me any idea what the problem would be and if there was anyone else that has had this problem.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    On my wife's 98 Regal, the dealer had to remove the console to replace a switch that is engaged when the vehicle is in park. It is a pretty big job. The switch is there to prevent the key from being removed when the car is moving.
  • rugerp90rugerp90 Posts: 2
    Well, my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix is still in the shop for one more day. After talking to the service manager at the Sewell Pontiac shop, he tells me that the ignition barrel went out on it and the copper prongs somehow jammed into a bad spot. They had to take the steering column apart and replace the barrel, but unfortunately after they diagnosed the car, they found that the starter burned out.
    They said the they would have to test the car for the grinding noise, cause they still are not sure what's causing it. I will do a final post once they find any other problems and when they have been completely fixed satisfactorily.
  • I have '99 Grand Prix with code P0102 low airflow on mass air flow sensor. Can any one tell me where the MAF sensor is located and if it is hard to remove and clean? Also, Service Engine Soon light (caused by P0102) occasionally briefly goes off but will come back on under slighly harder acceleration, engine seems to be running fine - other than MAF sensor what could the problem be? Where would I check for any obstruction to air flow? Is outside air intake directly behind headlight or lower than that? I already changed the air filter and that didn't help. Thanks.
  • gpownergpowner Posts: 1
    I have a 200 GP GT and recently it has been making a terrible noise when sitting idle or moving at slow speeds. When I took it to the shop they thought it was the harmonic balancer, they replaced and it is still making the noise. It has been to three different shops,one being a GM dealership and still no idea what it could be. I have heard from others that it could be the rear main oil seal. I was wondering if anybody has had the same problem or knows what it could possible be. I am not getting anything from GM except an attitude when I call! HELP!!
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    The MAF is usually connected to/inside the air intake tube.

Suggest removing your airbox, and cleaning the MAF. Make sure, if there's a screen in front of the MAF, that you reinstall it the right way.

You wouldn't happen to have an aftermarket (i.e. K&N) air filter, would you? These need to be oiled after being washed and they have a tendency to get oil on the MAF. GM even has a TSB out for this... won't cover this under any kind of warranty, obviously (probably not an issue in your case)...

--Robert
  • jamie1022jamie1022 Posts: 6
    have a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8 ltr that starts only when it wants to. Sometimes when I try to start it nothing happens, it makes no noise and just won't start. All of the lights inside and out come on as if it is going to start normally but it doesn't do anything. It usually happens after I have been driving around for a while, but then after it sits overnight, it starts right back up. I am confused by the problem and the mechanis told me this morning that I just need to drive it around until it does it again and tap the starter to determine if thats what is causing the problem. He said that otherwise it could cost me hundreds of dollars for them to determine what the problem is, and I'm a broke full time student that can't afford that! The car is in otherwise excellent condition. It is a one owner car with no past major problems except for the water pump being replaced. It has 151,000 miles on it. PLEASE HELP!