Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    "Because trucks are heavier and generally have poor aerodynamics, the gain from a hybrid powertrain is less than a similar switch in a car".

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- - _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=04424028
  • ...the GTO is B O R I N G looking?? Sure the interior is nice, but for $33K base I want some pizazz. One article I wrote stated that Pontiac made the exterior bland on purpose, so that they didn't think they were ripping off the original GTO. If you simulated the original GTO, maybe I would actually buy one! Hello Pontiac - did you see what Ford is doing with the new Mustang - they're ripping off the 1960's look. And it will likely sell well you idiots!

Thanks, but I'll keep my American made 04 Grand Prix GT2 that I paid only about $20K for with all the incentives.
    What's with all the GTO trashing? I think it's a pretty nice looking car and the performance numbers are very good. It's not suppose to be a daily driver sedan, it's a specialty limited edition type car. Just be thankful you get it down there, the car will never make it north of the border.

:-(
    I'm not wrong. I'll bet less than 50% of buyers will drive their GTO's on a regular basis as a main car. Even if they do, the car is still not main stream, it's a niche product and it's attraction is likely with a mainly older crowd looking for a blast from the past.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    the GTO is a market stopgap for Pontiac. Be thankful that Lutz in one instance was able to do soemthing to live up to his ridiculous hype. TransAm went byebye and rightfully so. Good riddance to that POS. GP coupe was deemed not feasible numbers wise. Pontiac fans have been screaming for a real decent RWD coupe. No $$$$ to develop one from scratch. Holden Monaro is sitting there. Excellent car. GM fans ought to consider themsleves lucky they have this car available to them. Realize this is a '98 vintage design and get over it. Its a good blank canvas for personalizing with special body kits and stuff to make it look like your own unique car. You want the 350hp and v8 RWD or not? Shut up and deal with it. Its the best GM interior out there. Sunroof a bad omission but likely not offered for some reason having to do with money. American Sunroof Corporation will gladly put one in for you and warrant it. GM had to spend a lot of bucks to re-engineer the location of the gas tank just to bring this car over.

As for Aussie built cars my two Diamantes have been as reliable as my Toyota Prizm was. I won't claim they are fabulous autos, just merely that its not the flying parts machine someone else suggested (hi harry!). It does a good Camry imitation as far as holding up. All the homers need to accept that other countries can build a solid car.

GM should bring over the Holden Caprice and sell it here as the Chevy Caprice. Watch the register $$$$$$. That car has a nice interior as well. Or maybe a real upscale Buick......

low thirties is not an outrageous price for the GTO considering how much the 350z, and g35 are. Whats outrageous is a Bonneville with a sticker approaching 40k, or a GTP thats around 31k. Compared to that, a 33k GTO is a bargain.

A GP GTP coupe may have been a good price, but it doesn't have the more complete package of the nicer RWD GTO.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    will be a much more livable car for day to day commuting than the old F-bodies for sure. If I was lucky enough to have one, I'd also have a sub $10K winter beater, like my Intrigue.
    My brother in law had a Firebird, didn't drive it in the winter at all and even in the summer he drove his truck quite a bit. GTO will indeed be better, but I still wouldn't drive it in the snow much. Keep in mind, there are no icy roads in the land down under.
    in the snow belt RWD cars DO NOT SELL. trust me, i got a super deal on my tbird back in 95 and couldn't figure why. Then the snow hit. Then I watched the resale values of RWD cars here. (MN) Nada.

Fortunately blizzaks made me able to still USE the car.

traction control and abs don't help much. weight dist. and snow tires are the key.

In the snow states people AVOID RWD if possible. That's partly why the GP was so successful. A sporty car that can go through snow. Its also why cars like the Maxima, 9-3 and TSX/TL will have a solid fan base.

Harry why did you find my factual post ridiculous. BTW, if you see Lutz, tell him hi and let him know I'd gladly have lunch with him and ask him why the new Malibu doesn't dethrone the Camry and Accord. Tell him thanks for the GTO, though and tell him to bring the Caprice over. The cops would love it too. Tell him I've really enjoyed my last 3 Fords because they have had excellent OHC powertrains in them. Tell him yeah the GTP was great but they shoulda had a supercharged Shortstar in there. Tell him the pushrod G6 is a huge mistake. Ask him why the SSR is such a bloated pig. Ask why the COlorado has no 6 cylinder. Ask him why the Ion turned out like it did. Tell him its great the Bonneville has been partially fixed with the new 8 cylinder, Aurora seats and cleaned up look, but the interior needs an overhaul pronto. Oh, and the pricetag is way too high. I'd be happy to have a drink with him and ask him why GM North America can't seem to put decent looking plastic in its cars. Maybe he can convince me some reasons to get excited about the GP. Thank him for the 9-3 and et him know the 9-7 isn't gonna work out. Saabists won't think it pure.

No one who can own a cool car like GTO is gonna expose it to a lot of road salt or risk accident in icy conditions. Harry how much ICE and SNOW or blinding blizzards have you driven in? Just curious.....only takes one bad snow day to sell you FWD.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    I think I am going to go take a powder and go back to bed. Regfootball is making eminent sense.

User does best not to faint!
    Given the small numbers of GTOs, even if it doesn't sell well it's more likely to become a collector car than anything if it's off the market in a few years. I suspect it will sell ok, after all it's a niche car. GM has invested virtually nothing in building it, it really a no loose situation for them.

I see in the paper today they are now advertising GT1s with ABS and alloys for a little over C$24K cash (U$17K). Not a bad deal at all.
    "Typical of aussie vehicles, the GTO will have a horrible reliability record"

from carpoint

"The Mitsubishi Diamante holds the distinction of being the only new car sold in America that is built in Australia."

of course now a bit dated since the GTO is here but note the Diamante scores a 5 of 5 in reliability for all its model years. Not sure Harry, how you can make a broad claim because a car is aussie its a bucket of bolts. Because there's been until now one aussie car here and its held up pretty well.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The subject is supposed to be the Grand Prix, folks ...

We've been all over the place for quite some time now.
    90% of people in the U.S. don't have to deal with regular snow? Ya right.. Even the north east by itself makes up more than 10%.

Let us know how the show visit goes. Maybe they will have a Maxx you can sit in.
    in Canada there's snow all over. I bet FWD is huge there.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    Wpbharry, Apparently the GTO is not coming to Canada so it must be real bad in the snow.

Regfootball, Yes FWD and AWD is king here. That said, I see a lot of RWD drive cars these days so obviously some people don't care. Should be interesting to see how the GP does in the snow this winter.
  • Does anyone have any 2004 pics of their own Grand Prix to post. Love to see it....
    new GP's advertsied at 17995 this past wkd.
  • ...in the 04 Grand Prix sucks rocks. I use it sparingly, and usually only for my kids.
  • midlife-First or Second generation back seat?