Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• I thought this was a mistake myself. However; I have read a bulletin by GM that indicates future car production will include rear cupholders. I don't remember when they are supposed to start seeing them at the dealership though.

I thought of another thing that bugs me. The stock exhaust tips on the Grand Prix are pretty bad. They don't look good at all and are almost impossible to keep looking good. I don't have the extra cost chrome exhaust tips on there right now, but I do intend to spend the money to put these on sometime shortly. I have been way too busy to go to a dealership, so I just am not sure how much they cost at this point.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    I myself don't pay attention to anyone's review, but mine. As the sole vested part making the payments, my review is the only one that matters.

I learned it with my father. He once bought a car that everybody and their dog, in the press or outside it, would rate it as a pile of junk. It happened to be the best car he's ever had. The bad rap came from its 1st generation, but the 2nd was solid.

I do ask owners about the major problems they've had and about the car's most evident virtues and vices. Then I drive paying attention to that and make up my mind. That's why when I was in the market for a used car, I got an Intrigue: I knew its Achile's heels, but also its virtues, many of them.
  • I think they cost around $150 on gmpartsdirect.com - not sure about shipping cost
    I'd like to replace those on my Bonneville with them. Anyone has their part #?

TIA
  • etcbetcb Posts: 42
    The March R&T incorrectly responded to a readers inquiry whether regular gas is alright to use is a 04 GTP. Here is ther answer.

SO can these engines be safely operated on regular fuel? Only to a limited degree. With the Pontiac it should be kept out of boost when regular is in the tank and premium should be rum whenever possible.. Think of this low-octane tolerance as a convenience measure for shuttling from one gas station to the next when premium fuel is temporarily no available.

Evidently the person who wrote that is misguided.

GM claims that the new refine 3.8 for 04 is design with closer tolerances to run regular fuel.
    I disagree with your comments. Go look at the customer satisfaction numbers for the Toyota Camry. They are lower than the numbers given by the talking heads. Just an anomaly? I dont think so. I own a 04 GTP and a 02 Camry. If Camry is so wonderful, then why didn't I run out and buy another one. In my opinion the Camry is way overrated by the press! I wonder how much Toyota pays advertisers to impress the unwary car buyer.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    The last generation Camry was good. The new one I don't like. The interior I'm not feeling it. I could understand while the last one sold well but the new one I don't get it. I'll give Toyota credit they have lots of accomplishments like their Lexus line and the Supra was a cool car. The Camry has positives like a room interior, easy access and entry. They need to upgrade the interior.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    C A M R Y

I can not think of a car I would less like to own. Well built and holds it's value YES. Otherwise I see it only as a japanese Buick.
  • This is an "apples vs oranges" argument as well. A Camry should be compared against a Buick Century or Ford Taurus or Chevy Malibu, not a Grand Prix. There is NOTHING sporty about a Camry, it is basic transportation.
    Yes, that's a typical comment for R&T (or any American car-magazine).

However, GM doesn't promise the same power from that engine burning regular. You can count on delayed spark timing to avoid knock in WOT.
    I think the GP and Camry are directly comparable. I looked at both when shopping and I am sure i am not alone.

Any midsize sedan can be cross shopped. Camry just happens to be about the dullest thing on the market next to the Century.
  • Pontiac is supposed to be the "sport" division of GM. Thus I believe a Camry is more like an Impala or Malibu. Then again, Impala has a SS model. So there are some inconsistencies in GM's delineation of its companies. Nonetheless, I don't believe Camry can be advertised as a sporty car. The commercial where the guy is doing donuts on an empty city street are absolutely absurd.

Well, at least we agree about how dull the Camry is. ;)
    Well, the marketers may see the Camry and the GP on two sides of a chasm, but at least I as a customer look at all mid-size cars in that price range. I prefer sporty cars, but I can live with a understated one if it's got a decent engine, a sleeper.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    The Grand Prix would probably be cross hopped against the Mazda 6 and Nissan Altima. The Camry and Accord are always cross-shopped with each other. The Passat would be crossed shopped with the Camry and accord I think.
    Well, that's what the marketers wish... When I bought my Bonneville in '01, I checked out all of them: GP, Altima, Accord, Camry, etc. I bought the one that was the most bang for my buck and puts a smile on my face in my daily commute: both driving it and when I'm approaching it. ;-)
    Which is better for the blower motor? I perfer to booost!!!!!!!!!!

Glad GTP Owner
    04 GTP Graystone.. Varooom!~ See Ya in my rear view!
    "The commercial where the guy is doing donuts on an empty city street are absolutely absurd".

Ya, no kidding. Toyota is dreaming on that one.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    etcb, the supercharger performs best with premium fuel...
  • I changed the fuel filter and spark plugs, but it still stalls at every red light and even if I coast on the freeway the engine chokes. Any ideas on what to try next? I don't have the cash to bring it to a repair place. Thanks.
    Spark-plugs wires?

HTH