Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,101
    I've had two GPs (both GTPs). The first one was hit by a guy in an Acura who ran a red light. The guy broadsided me doing about 50 MPH. I walked away from the wreckage. The other guy went for an extended stay in the hospital. My car was totalled, but I didn't have a scratch.

When I got the insurance check, I looked at a lot of different vehicles (including Acura). I ended up getting another GP.

My current GP has over 40K miles. No squeaks, rattles...nothing that has sent me back to my dealer. The only thing I've done is change the oil, rotate the tires and I just put in a new air filter. This car has been cheap from a maintenance point of view.

I have to say that I've owned Hondas, Toyotas and BMWs...all good cars in their own right. Both of my GPs have been sterling cars no matter what measuring stick you use and they compare favorably with all the above brands.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    My 2000 Grand Prix GT four door has been perfect so far, after 17K miles. No adjustments or repairs of any kind. I think this is the first new car I've ever bought that didn't have at least some minor problems that needed to be taken care of under warranty.

I have gotten as high as 31.5 mpg on all-highway driving, driving at the speed limits. I can always count on 28+ mpg on highway driving, even if I "cheat" on the speed limit.

The car has a very nice-sized trunk for a "mid-size" car, and it is very practical, even though it looks so sporty.

I think it would make a fine family car for anyone.

There's some killer rebates and financing available on 2000 left-overs now. I would certainly check these out before buying a 2001 model.

tsjay
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    If you are going to buy a new GP GT, it makes sense to test-drive Chevrolet Impala LS.

Basically, Impala Ls is the same car as GP GT, with the same engine, but the body is several inches longer. More rear legroom would make easier to work with the child chair. And the Impala have even higher crush rating.
    I agree with tsjay's assessments.

The GP GT will handle well...get great gas mileage and have plenty of room for your budding family. They ride well and the 3.8 V6 with the automatic is a lesson in smoothness. Very comfortable! The powertrain will get up and "boogie" when you put your foot in it, too.

The GP GT is very feature rich, too. Lot's of very useful options like HUD, programable door locks, etc.

As said, if you can find a 2000 with the rebates or 0% financing, you can cut a heck of a deal on one.

The only real problems I've heard of were with regards to the '97s. They had a problem with water getting into the headlights. There was a guy who had some transmission problems that posted a few months ago. If memory serves me, he bought it used and it may have been abused, though. I think his problem had more to do with a bad dealer than anything else, however.

The only wish list I would have for the GP would be to have better headlights.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    I echo Yurakm comments in regards to the Impala LS. If you are considering the Pontiac GP GT sedan, it would be worth it to test drive the Impala LS. The Impala LS's engine and transmission are identical to the GP GT (3800 series II V-6, 200 HP and the 4T65-E 4 speed auto).
    However, for family hauling chores the Impala LS is a bit better suited for the job. The car has more rear head and legroom and a bigger trunk (17.0 CuFt). Another point to consider, is that the Impala is the only GM intermediate sedan (W-Body family)that has the best safety score ratings (5 stars front, 4 stars side)and already meets 2003 government safety standards, the Grand Prix, Regal, Intrigue do not. Also the initial sale price is lower on the Impala LS vs the GP GT.

As far as content goes, the Impala LS does not offer the HUD display, but make not mistake...the Impala LS is loaded (Power seats, Trip Computer, dual temp A/C, Monochromatic mirror, power everything, RDS CD/Tape stereo system, steering wheel controls, etc)Alloy wheels and rear deck lid spoiler are also standard.

The Impala is more comfortable and boasts better safety ratings in my book without losing any sporty feeling or looks to it.

Now the GP GT is a great car and it is more sporty and can be obtained for cheap given the incredible finance and rebate incentives offer on it right now. However, overtime, the Impala LS will have a better resale value as is the only GM intermediate that doesn't have ANY special financial or rebate incentives since the car was introduced in mid 1999. the Impala is also the only W-body car that is in the top 10 best sellers in the nation.

You can't go wrong with either car, each one has it pluses and minuses but for family duty, safety and value, the Impala LS gets the vote.

Check it out.

Good luck.
  • toon1toon1 Posts: 19
    I recently purchased a 2000 GP GT. So far, so good(besides a rattling passenger seat). I also recently had a 2000 Monte Carlo bought back by GM due to a "cradle/subframe" issue that could not be repaired. I state this as it is my understanding that the Impala sits on the exact same frame with the exact rack and pinion, cradle, subframe, etc. Just something to check out! Take a look at the National Highway Transportation and Safety site and look into "customer complaints". Good luck with whatever you choose!
    The alleged engine cradle problem. Still check out the car. Do a fair comparison before you decide.
    For your info, the GP as all other cars of the W-Body family share most of the mechanical underpinnings, so don't think somehow the GP will make you immune to a front end problem.

The Buick Century, Buick Regal, Chevrolet Lumina, Chevrolet Montecarlo, Pontiac Grand Prix and Oldsmobile Intrigue all belong to the W-body platform.
  • szottszott Posts: 5
    Didn't realize the Impala had such high saftey ratings. I'll take a closer look. Still, something about the GP's looks keeps pulling me towards it. Then again, I have to consider safety for the kid. Plenty to think about. Thanks again for the help. I was afraid I'd get negative anti-GM attacks from the likes of bohlen and broncodave. It seems they may have had a bad experience or two with the general. At least broncodave seems to know something about the car. Didn't appear that bohlen has ever even seen one up close! Thanks again.
    I know the feeling. When I was shopping, the GP was the car I kept coming back to over and over.

I have two teenagers. They fit well in the back seat (they don't fight, so I'll assume they are comfy back there).

Can't comment about the Impala. I've never driven one.
  • kazzkazz Posts: 23
    By all means, check the Impala out, too, just so you know you've covered the bases. But the 2001 GP is a 5th-year build on the GP design, while the new Impalas are still (from what I've heard) working out the kinks in the design. I haven't driven an Impala, but find the GP (I have a GTP coupe) to be roomy and strong. I got mine in February this year and have had only minor issues with it.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    GTP (and Buick Regal GS) obviously are stronger, than Impala. Stronger engine/transmission, not body.

But the comparison is with GP, not GTP. Impala LS (and the base Impala with the right options) have the same engine, the same transmission, and mostly the same suspension.

Major pluses for Impala: about 5 inches longer (more space), and have better crush rating. The both is very important with family sedan, with kids.

Minuses: no HUD, lesser radio. Probable minus: the first year design aluminum engine cradle.

The styling - external, internal, dash and instrumentation - is up to the personal tastes and preferences...
    Let us know what you end up with, ok?

tsjay
    Went out to the dealer the other night. Saw a black GP GT sedan. Briefly went weak in the knees. Regained my composure. Drooled a little. Grabbed the keys from the salesman. Drove it at speed through some nice twisties and sweepers in the area. Parked it. Got out. Tried to conceal the smile stuck on my face. Bought it. I pick it up tomorrow.
    I looked at an Impala first at the Chev dealer next door to the Pontiac dealer. I just didn't like the styling. As yurakm states, it's a personal preference thing. One of my account reps has a new impala and it's pretty sweet but I really fell hard for the GP.
    I'll plan on giving a running commentary on my experiences with it.
    Congrats! I think it is very important to get what you really like and what gives the more positive "vibes" about it.

Enjoy that new GP! Can you share pics of your new car with us?
    I'm taking the company digital camera home today. I'll take some pics and try to get them posted Monday morning.
    Congratulations!!!!!!!

Excellent choice. Be prepared to wash that car about every day, though. You know how black is: nothing sharper when it's clean, but every little bit of dust is going to show.

Give us the details. What option package and extra goodies did you get? Did you get a 2000 or an '01? If you got the 2000, what rebate and/or financing incentives did you get (if you don't mind telling).

Now that you've bought the GP, I can be honest with you without hurting your feelings. The Impala doesn't belong in the same league for looks in my book. Nothing about an Impala is sporty looking. EVERYTHING about a GP is sporty looking. I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and some people probably prefer the looks of the Impala over the GP, BUT I AIN'T ONE OF THEM!

Once again, congrats.

Enjoy that new car.

tsjay
    You didn't post your email address in your profile, so I guess you want your privacy. Don't blame you a bit, but if you will send me a picture of your new car, then I'll have your email address (won't share it with anyone else), and I'll send you a picture of mine.

You can look up my Edmunds profile and get my email address. So far, posting it there hasn't been a problem for me. I've only heard from a couple very nice people who frequent this news group.

tsjay
    If you can stay out of that black Grand Prix long enough, tell us about your first day with her.

Was she cleaned up and ready to go? Did you show her off to friends and family?

tsjay
    Again, congrats!

A black GP GT does look awfully sweet.

You have found out what we already know...the GP is one of the nicest handling, running, looking bargains on the planet.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it (even if you do have to wash it a lot).