Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• dziegieldziegiel Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am having a problem with my factory alarm on my 2000 Grand Prix GT and the dealership service department has been unable to fix it after 5 trips
    (days) up there. The problem is the alarm goes off at totally random times for no reason at all. I have been unable to find the pattern. They have replaced one shock sensor and tweaked the settings several times, but no luck yet. The alarm sometimes will go off within a few minutes, other times its been a day or two. Climate or location do not matter either. It has gone off in a parking lot, in a parking structure, in my home garage. The weather has been cool and damp, hot, etc... makes no difference as far as I can tell.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Jason
  • kdstankdstan Posts: 17
    Is Pontiac redesigning the body styles for the 2002 Grand Prix. If so, does anyone know where I can view some pictures of it.
  • greywolfgreywolf Posts: 51
    I had the same thing happen to me a few times, when the car was about 3 months old. It has never reoccured. See if they can disable the shock sensor all together.

kdstan - the Grand Prix redesign is not coming until 2003. No pics have been released or leaked thus far. GM is keeping it under wraps for now.
  • hengheng Posts: 411
    This years One Lap of America has a 99 GTP placing 39th. Anyone know if the drivers posted their experiences on the web?
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Grand Prix has no major changes until 2003.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Wasn't this in this topic?

What ever happen?

Wasn't the lady taking the car to the dealer?
  • tom18tom18 Posts: 89
    In buying a new 2001 GT (grand prix) end of year deal should you use edmunds pricing to figure the true end of year market value (is edmunds updated for the end of year true price or true market value) or do you expect a lower than posted invoice price (edmunds) as your target price at this time of year and then subtract the $2000 incentive Pontiac is offering as your final price of purchase? What is the recommended procedure and how can you find the best dealers in the Wisconsin/ Illinois area for best price ?
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    I'd say start with invoice less the $2k incentive. You should be able to find a dealer who will nibble - as long as you'll take something on their lot (remember, it costs them - and you - if they have to bring it in from elsewhere). That means that you'd better not be fussy about trim levels and colours. If you're holding out for leather with no sunroof (as I was - I gave up and went with cloth seats), good luck - these things are scarcer than hen's teeth.

When you've narrowed it down to one or two dealers, I find that the best strategy is to go in on the afternoon last Saturday of the month and be prepared to make your deal on the spot. Don't go in without a bottom line and whatever you do, stick to it.

Good luck - let us know how it works out.
    Can anyone tell me beside the extra power in engine - what comes extra on the GTP model when compared with the GT - are things like wheels(UP3) - Boese stereo - leather and the appearance packages (option 4?) options and all cost added extras - what do you actually get for stepping up approximately $2000 dollars between models other than engine
    Thank you iceman for previous info on price strategy at this time of year - I just started looking and find salespeople are confused - my last visit has a salesperson that didn't know how to correctly open the sunroof - online information here is valuable to me
  • Hello all.

Looking for a good used car and came across a white 99 GP SE 4-door with 25000 miles. It has the 3800, BOSE speakers, steering wheel radio controls, power seat, and keyless entry. The dealer is currently asking 13,900 + tax. If anyone could give an opinion of this deal I woild appreciate it very much. Thanks.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    Once you equip a Grand Prix GT Sedan ($22,720) with group 1SC ($1,602 with Power Driver's Seat, Cargo Net, Overhead Console, Steering WHeel Radio Controls, Remote Keyless Entry, Trip Computer, and Premium Lighting w/OnStar) Power Driver's Lumbar ($130), Head-Up Display ($325) and CD ($150) you get to $24,927. At $26,240 for a GTP, all I can find listed for the $1,313 difference is the Supercharger, the Speed Rated Tires, and the Full Function Traction Control.
    Are there not differences in the thickness of the stabilizer bars or in the diameter of the brake rotors as well?
    I was only thinking sales features as an answer. Went around the web and find that the Stabilizer bars and rotors are the same between the GT and GTP. (Kelley, Edmunds, Pontiac and GM Buypower do not get into specifics. Found the info at Driversseat.com, run by the NADA using ChromeData as the info source, who I thought supplied the programing for GM BuyPower.)
    I would have assumed that, with greater ponies, that the GTP would be better endowed in those departments as well. Surprising....
    Of course on the other side of the street they are saying, "Wow my GT is over-endowed".
    I have (er...actually my wife has) a GT - and I was already impressed about how much car this represents for the money. Now I'm even more so.
  • redbetaredbeta Posts: 2
    Hi Folks,

I'd like to ask if anyone has a suggestion about how to change the pitch of the 2001 Grand Prix passenger seat. Pontiac offers power, lumbar support, heat, etc. for the driver's seat but nothing for the passenger's seat. People that have riden with me complain the pitch of the seat is too low. Are there comfort cushions or something available in the market I could offer to passengers?

Thanks,
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    I didn't get the lumbar support in my Grand Prix and if I drive 20 minutes or so it gives my back fits! I have a lumbar roll that I bought that works so-so. You may be able to find one at a medical supplies shop. I bought mine from the Physical Therapy Dept. at the local hospital. I don't know if you could walk into a hospital and buy one like that or not without being a patient.

If you find something better than what I suggested, could you post back here to let me know.

Thanks!
  • looking25looking25 Posts: 19
    JEWEL47 - check post 774, this happened to me a few months ago. I think they reprogrammed the PCM, but I'm not so sure they did anything. It hasn't happened since, but I've been afraid to 'floor it' since.

1998 Grand Prix GTP
    32,000 miles
    Had heated seat unit replaced
    No other problems.
  • redbetaredbeta Posts: 2
    stnel,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it is a lumbar issue with my passengers. The angle of the back of the seat is too low vs the front of the seat. People complain about feeling like they are sitting in a hole. I need some type of a short, wedge type pillow as an option for passengers to sit on.

All the reviews I have read talk about the support and comfort of the GP seats. I guess the reviewer only sat in the driver's seat.

If I hear of a lumbar solution, I'll let you know.
    Good luck on finding a pillow for your passenger seat. I knew when I bought my car that I was going to have a problem with the lumbar support but I'll eventually get it worked out.
    We're still enjoying this car - it seems solid, has plenty of power and is quite comfortable for the 4 of us. We're getting decent mileage - but nowhere near as good as we get with the Bonneville but the GP gets mostly 2nd car driving from us (a lot of short haul stuff but some parallel commuting too) and it is not yet broken in - going on 2 months of ownership and we've just past the 1000 mile mark!

Things we like about the GP: All the important, major things like Style, interior volume and comfort, back-seat room, trunk volume, finish, quality of fabric, carpet, etc. Plus, we prefer the sound system to the one in our Bonneville (our GP has the equalizer). Even little things like the overhead console seem better thought out than the one in our Bonnie. Of course, the really big things are there in spades: nice, useable power (esp. torque) and smooth, effortless shifts.

Things we don't like: Not much actually. The dashboard/instrument panel uses flimsier plastics than I'd like to see - it's especially noticeable on the ashtray - but it's acceptable. Just not on a par with competitive Mazda and Toyota sedans I have owned in the past. This is one of a handful of GM's weaknesses. And... why, oh why doesn't GM have an illuminated gear indicator on the shift console? That would have cost them all of $2.00 to install on the assembly line and, while not a critical necessity, would have eliminated a small gripe about an otherwise extremely well executed car.

Problems so far: 3 problems corrected under warranty: - gasket under spoiler was distorted and allowed water to collect under spoiler (you could hear sloshing when you opened the trunk after a pressure wash); - Park LED on instrument panel didn't function (all other gear LEDs worked fine); - windshield contained a minor imperfection that caused a slight distortion in the driver's field of vision (this one was hard to find but it was there and it was distracting).

Seats: Our driver's seat has the power lumbar and I find it very comfortable (I have rented GP GT's before for long business trips and have not experienced any discomfort in those either). Perhaps it's dependent on your height or body type - chair comfort is rarely a "one size fits all" thing. Still, neither my wife nor I have felt anything untoward in either the driver's or passenger's seats (I'm 6'2" and about 180 lbs, she's 5'1" and would kill me if I even considered including her weight here but let's just say she's "petite").

I'm sure there's more I could write but those are the issues that come to mind.

theiceman
    I guess I must be the only one to find the seat doesn't give good lumbar support but I didn't get the power lumber on my car. I also don't do a lot of distance driving so it's not a major problem. If I had a long commute everyday, it would be another story.

I'm getting 23-24 mpg but that's mostly city driving. Maybe 1/4 of it is interstate driving, if that much. Don't know if that's good for city driving or not. I've got the 3.1L engine.

I've got 1800 miles now and the only problem seems to be pinging when I exit my car. From what others have told me, it's the exhaust system cooling off.

I've been happy with the plastic on the car but my other car was 10 years old and anything would be an improvement. Now the plastic on that car rattled! I got the taupe cloth interior and I think that's one of the prettiest interiors that I've ever seen on a car--naturally I'm biased.
    That mileage is excellent for the type of driving you do - and certainly within the range you should be expecting. We've gotten 24.2 mpg over almost 10k miles on our Bonneville (excellent for a car of its heft) and I would estimate that we're about 20-21 with the Grand Prix. That's okay for the type of driving we do.

That pinging is almost assuredly the exhaust cooling off - something that happens more in single exhaust systems with higher-revving, high-compression engines. Your (SE I'm guessing) has the former so you should expect it. I haven't noticed it yet on either of our Pontiacs (but both have the 3.8 Series II with dual exhaust).

I agree that the taupe cloth is sharp. We have the grey cloth.

On the plastic issue: Next time you're at your Pontiac dealer, ask to see a Bonneville and you might see what I'm talking about. GM can do it - they just don't do it on all of their cars.
    The NHTSA had service bulletins regarding the decklid with the sloshing. It was for cars with a VIN prior to 1F134432. Mine is prior to that but I haven't had a problem so far. It could be because I've only driven in the rain once or twice and washed it only once. It's due to be washed again.

What I'm curious about is if there is a safety recall and a car on a dealer's lot is one of the cars to be included on the recall, would the dealership fix it. I read about a air bag recall and mine would have been included. It was sitting on a lot when the recall was issued. There was also a seat belt buckle recall but my build date did fall under the recall.

I'm assuming they fixed it. Would sure hate to find out the hard way that it wasn't fixed!

The gray interior is nice too. My other car had a gray interior and I was looking for a change.
    Odd - the TSB for the decklid leak was for the '99 model year. I don't know if mine is that some leak or same result from different cause. Thanks for the tip. You would think that the manufacturer would have made the correction at the assembly line or part manufacture by now and that the problem on mine is just "one of those things". Otherwise, yes, the dealer should be taking care of those things during dealer PDI and prep. Doesn't always happen though. Ask next time you bring it in for service.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    I believe, the dealers have computers, connected to GM network. They enter all repairs, and it is easy to check what was fixed in your car and when.
    If a recall occurrs while a car is on the dealers lot, they are supose to complete it before they can sell the car. The seat belt recall only included 13 grand prixs, and the air bag recall only included 9 grand prixs.
This discussion has been closed.