Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• stnelstnel Posts: 338
    Thanks for the info. My car was built in 8/00 and was in the time frame that was mentioned in the NHTSA. I may stop by the dealership next week and ask. For all I know, I may have been one of the 9 Grand Prix's recalled for air bags.

theiceman - I imagine if my car was built in August, it would have been one of the earlier 2001 Grand Prix's built. I don't know exactly when they start building cars for the new year. I have yet to see if I'm going to get that sloshing. My car just hasn't been exposed to that much water as of yet.

The information I'm going by from the NHTSA is from their web page. I imagine that's accurate.
  • jaysikjaysik Posts: 4
    In the process - adding to my 2001 GTP is a Ram Air hood (ASSD)with four inlets, 3.2 inch pulley, intercooler, headers, dual exhaust, shift kit, cold air box, reprogrammed PCM. I really like my GTP.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    I just don't understand.

Instead of pouring money for mods into a car, why not just buy a faster car?

Camaro or Firebird.
    If you're still reading on the Grand Prix forum, what is the PCM? I read through the "P" section of the owner's manual and didn't see anything that fit. Just curious since that's what seemed to cause your problem.

Thanks!
    I got the GMS? deal - and Firebird or Camaro are ok, but alas - not in four doors. (j/k). Honestly - I can do most of the mods myself and I want to improve the performance. Basically the PCM among other issues - limits the speed to 126mph...Jay
    Since I bought the car relatively cheaply (GMS) - I feel that dual exhaust, headers, u bend removal, cold air induction, pulley change, shift kit, strut bracing, (and others are cost effective). Also these reduce heat inside the engine which is a big enemy of power, all these are simple and I feel they are ok, the only change which I consider major is the intercooler, but all these will create a cooler running engine, plus I get the benefit of 100 plus HP to the ground. From my experience car manufacturers create a car for the middle of the road enthusiast, and some people whom are very happy with their GTP (me) would like to take it to the next level. I heard in 2003 the body will change but they will keep the same engine. I hope I am wrong and they go to dual overhead cam putting 350 HP to the crank like it should be (more would be better though), but the tranny has to be beefed up because that is the weak link...more to come, Jaysik
    Hello, check out grandprixstore.com, type in PCM in the search engine, then check out all the goodies out there for GTP lucky owners. There are many other sites if you need more info, just send me a message. P.S. - I do not have a 'problem' per se (j/k), just want more and more power...never enough. Jay
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    PCM: Powertrain Control Module - essentially a mini-computer which runs the engine management system and, in some cars, the transmission controls. It relies on sensors (such as the oxygen sensor - there are others) to process information and provide instructions to the engine/tranny systems like the ignition, fuel injectors and shift solenoid. It is in the PCM where rev and speed limiters are burned - to protect your engine and GM's legal liability.
    Thanks for the explanation of the PCM. Also for the description of the cupholders on the Grand Prix vs. the Bonneville.
    I'll probably have about 2000 miles at the end of the week. I was wondering if I should go on and change the oil right when I hit 3000 miles or wait for the oil change light to come it.

I've always had to keep up with these things myself and would think that if you wait for a light to come on, you're in a danger zone. The book says the car knows when to change oil and you have to reset something and so forth. I guess it goes against my nature to depend on a computer to make my decisions.

I was wondering what you planned on doing.
    I change the oil every 5000 kms (3000 miles) and I intend to put in Mobil 1 (a synthetic oil). Frequent oil changes with good oil are the cheapest insurance against future engine problems.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    One way to go, would be to change the oil at the mileage you are comfortable with, but do not restet the light. Then wait to see when the light would have come on. If it is close to your desired change interval, then go with the light in the future. If not, then change as you desire and reset the system.
    neat idea. I suspect that I will always change before the light. I just changed the oil on the Bonneville and its oil life monitor was reading that it had 60% of its oil life remaining. Extrapolating (I don't know if oil life is directly correaled with mileage) from that, I'd be changing my oil every 7500 miles. No thank you.
  • kdstankdstan Posts: 17
    Does the 2002 Grand Prix have any new features that the other ones do not? Also, has anyone tried to put flowmasters on their GTP? Just curious!

kdstan
    Thanks for the help regarding oil changes. I'm going on and changing it at 3000 miles. I'll see what the mileage says when the light comes on.

Dan - even though the book says 3000 - 10000 (miles) for oil changes, if your light is registering at 7500, that's pushing it. Sometimes I wonder if car makers do stuff like that on purpose so you'll have more car repairs or buy another car sooner!
    I just finished doing this (okay, so I have odd hours - sue me) and, while the process is anything but intuitive, it doesn't take long. Basically, you have to put your key in the ignition (leave it in 'lock'), pull the PCM fuse, turn the key to 'acc', follow the owner's manual through the options (doesn't take long) and then follow the exit procedure. All I changed was adding auto unlock once you put the car in Park and I removed the horn 'chirp' to confirm a repeat 'lock' signal from the keyless remote.

At least now both our Bonneville and our GP will behave similarly - at least in these two regards.
    I wanted to change my lock mode and looked into it about six weeks ago. I got as far as finding the fuse box. I decided that I may mess up the fuse box and to leave the car at its original setting. I may try it down the road.

The only thing I don't like about mode 4 is having the car unlock automatically in a parking lot. I just relock the car as soon as it unlocks but it would be better not to have it unlock in the first place.
  • I've heard the supercharger on all cars only last for a certain length of time. One person told me they lasted 50K miles. My GTP has a little over 49,000 on it. Is it true that the supercharger wears out? If so how can you tell? I just purchased the car Monday. No problems with the car, so don't get me wrong. I bought a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, so if the supercharger needs replaced, now would be the time to do it....while it's free :).

SO basically my question is, how can you tell when it's worn out?

Plus one more question is, the GTP was timed at 6.7 seconds in the 0-60 MPH on Edmunds. Recently my friend timed mine at 8.5....but that was with his stopwatch, so could it very that much then if he timed me with a G-tech thing?

So if i could get those questions answered i'd be VERY HAPPY :)

Thanks a bunch.
    Don't know about the life of the eaton supercharger. All parts wear out but I suppose when has as much to do with how you've used it as with how you've maintained it. And, have you stuck with the stock pulley?

As for 0-60 times, cars aren't computers and no two are going to produce the same times. Times recorded by professionals tend to be "tuned" for it and, as you say, electronically recorded. Rubber matters big time here as does weight of the car. Dragsters have done things like removed all but the driver's seat. And, of course, you've got to take the traction control off.

Still, a true 8.5 seconds will beat most cars on the road today.
  • Thanks Iceman, i don't know too much about t he supercharger really. Haven't done any mods with it yet, and probably won't actually do anything too drastic.

Anyone got some ideas on how i can trick out my GTP and make it faster? I'm looking at spending maybe $1,000 on it. I really don't want to go the SLP way, lookin for something different. What would you guys do to a GTP with $1,000?

Thanks.
  • pt2001pt2001 Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2001 Grand Prix 2 days ago and was wondering why I was getting headaches - the windshield is distorted in a line right across my field of vision. I can't even drive it now, taking it in for service tonight. Was your windshield replaced properly (i.e., is there any distortion left)? In previous year models, I've read the replacement may not be much better than the original. Thanks for the info.
    Once you get the windshield problem resolved, I hope you start enjoying your new car. I'm afraid I don't have any advice to give. Just thought I'd welcome you to the board.

Best of luck in getting the problem resolved!

Stacy
    I should have clarified in my post that the dealership corrected the other two minor problems and ordered a replacement windshield for me. It has come in but I've not yet been able to bring in the car. They are not giving me a hassle though and the windshield will be replaced under warranty. I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, my wife (who wears contacts - I do not yet need them) is shorter than I am and this distortion does not bother her as much as it bothers me and since the GP is her car, the replacement isn't urgent.
  • tom18tom18 Posts: 89
    currently looking for a good end of year deal on the 2001 4dr GT - anyone recommend any dealers that will give the best price this time of year beyond invoice and the current 2k rebate ?
  • pt2001pt2001 Posts: 5
    Thanks for the feedback. I dropped it off at the dealer and the service manager claims he doesn't notice it. We looked at another Grand Prix and I could see it has the same problem, but again he didn't. It's worse at the edges but still very noticeable and annoying throughout the viewing area. I'm 6'2" and he was a bit shorter, so maybe as you've stated, height is a factor.
    In my case, the factory rep must approve glass replacement, between this and the sm not seeing it, I'm getting very uncomfortable about the situation. I'll post again tomorrow after I hear back from the dealer.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this problem?
    It could be height is a factor. I'm 5'4" and don't notice a problem. Maybe you could find someone that works at the dealership that's your height to sit in the car. If they agree with the service manager, then there's a chance you're not being dealt with honestly and you may want to take the car to another dealership to look into it. There may be a number to call GM directly but I've never tried that so don't know if you would get good results or not. (I may be mistaken on whether you can call GM directly though.)
    BTW, I am also 6'2" and I found that driving the GP was, at times, like wearing somebody else's glasses. I also find that it's worse on sunny days. At 5'1" (she claims), the distortion is not as evident in my wife's field of vision.

Here's what I did: I parked the car in a spot that gave me a clear view of a fixed object on the horizon. Then, while keeping my gaze on that object, I moved my head around inside the car. At some point, the object appeared to suddenly jump or bend. Once I had this, I brought my hand up to the inside of the windshield and, using a grease pencil, I began marking the area of distortion. Even with that, the service manager couldn't see it and tried to suggest that maybe I was seeing dashboard glare. Fortunately, I had the sales manager on my side and, in the end, the part just got ordered. No questions, no factory rep.

As Stacy suggests, maybe you can find somebody of our height and give them the keys (on a sunny day) and suggest that they drive it for a while. Barring that, it might be worth a call to a local auto glass shop and ask them if they've ever heard of this problem.

Good luck - I hope our replacement windshields are better.
    I've always used regular tap water for the windshield washer. Is there any reason with these new cars why that wouldn't be acceptable? The owner's manual lists a GM washer fluid to use but I don't know if it's necessary or if it's just a way for GM to make more money.

I can't see that a windshield would be any different now than it was 10 years ago. But I also never heard of drying off a car after washing it. I found out the hard way that the new paint they use requires drying. (It could just be metallic paint that needs drying and I've always had non-metallic paint on cars.)
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Tap water is fine where it doesn't get below freezing. Just add a few drops of a mild detergent to remove any oil from its surface and it should be OK.

HTH
    I don't have to worry too much about freezing weather so I'll just stick with tap water.

Thanks!

Stacy