Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• stnelstnel Posts: 338
    What year GP were you looking at to buy? The 97 and 98 didn't do as well in Consumer Reports because those were the first 2 years for that new styling. The rating jumped back up to "Recommended" for '99 to present. I don't know how many people have been happy/unhappy with their '97 and '98 GP's.

I have as SE so can't really give advice on the GT - completely different engines. And I've only had the car for 3 months.

evandro - I didn't get to Barnes and Noble to look through R&T again--too cheap to buy the magazine when I just want to look at that one picture!
  • hengheng Posts: 411
    No problems at 38000 miles, only the goodyear LSs were done at 22000 miles.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    The car in the picture in R&T referred to as a future Grand Prix was this. Actually, it's grown on me and I think it's kinda cute...

What's happening to me? Is there a crossover in my future??? ;^)

Thanks for the picture. It is a little strange looking from the Grand Prix's we're used to. From the article I saw in R&T, it looks like it will fit right in. All those cars I saw had that "futuristic" look!
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Hi stnel,

My wife and I are looking at a 2000 GT sedan (specifically, one with the 75th Anniversary package in black) as her daily driver.

My reliability concerns aren't so much with the car (I know the 3800 engine is pretty solid), but with the interior. The quality of the materials (including the switchgear and the leather on the seats) does not inspire much confidence.

We're also looking around at Regal LS, Intrigue GLS, and even the Monte Carlo SS (we both agree that the Impala is just too ugly :-). We normally wouldn't buy new cars, but the "GM employee family discount", plus the current cash-back and financing offers, are just too good to pass up...

--Robert
    When I was car shopping, Oldsmobile was offering a 5 year/60,000 mile warranty--at least that's what the salesman told me. He was trying to sell me an Alero when I was looking at the Chevy's so I didn't pay that much attention to the Oldsmobile warranty. I don't know if they're still offering that warranty or not. I think it was back in April when I was at that particular Chevy/Olds dealership.

I had a '91 Grand Am before this car and everything in that car rattled. I hope the Grand Prix doesn't do that when it gets some years on it.
    I haven't forgotten to let you know about the bug screen. My dad's busy this week with other things but as soon as he gets around to it, I'll let you know if he was able to work the screen in there.
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    If crash test results are important, you should check out the performance of the vehicles you are considering: crashtest.com is a good summary whereas you'll find the NHTSA results for the cars you're considering at: nhtsa.dot.gov. The Intrigue was high on my list as well because of style, engine, handling, price and fold-down rear seat - until I discovered its poor rear seat side impact results. I can handle the GP's 2-star front side impact results but it's my kids who sit in the back and the Intrigue's 1 star there is just unacceptable to me.

The Regal does better on the safety issue but it was (slightly) pricier than the GP-GT (for the same level of equipment) and it had just a tad too much body roll in cornering for my tastes. Very nice car though.

The Monte Carlo has easily the best NHTSA results of the cars you're considering and has the same powerful, economical and reliable 3.8 powertrain as the Regal and GP-GT. If a 2 door suits you and the styling appeals....

Good luck

I didn't realize the Monte Carlo had such good crash test results--practically as good as the Impala.

I was concerned about the 2 star side impact rating but wound up buying the GP anyway. I seldom have a passenger in the car so only had to concern myself with crash test results pertaining to the driver.

Car rattling - A lot of people criticize GM's for cheap plastic but I didn't think it was all that cheap looking. Guess it's what you're comparing it too. Compared to the Grand Am, it doesn't look cheap but compared to the Buick, I imagine the Buick would have a nicer interior. (I bought cloth seats so didn't have to worry about the quality of the leather seats.)

Hope you find a car you like!
  • dizee65dizee65 Posts: 1
    Hi, I own a GP GT 2000. My question for everyone is the mileage. I drive about 16,000 a year. I figured monthly 900-950 miles is parkway driving and I am at 16.8 miles. When I bought the car the sticker states it should be 20 city and 26 hwgy so I figured i should get at least 22 miles.
    Please forward all you suggestions. The dealership of course said there is nothing wrong. I dont believe them.
    Our '01 GT is fairly new so we're still putting in "break-in" mileage. Nevertheless, we're garnering between 21 and 24 mpg on about 2/3 semi-rural/suburban and 1/3 urban stop and go.

The 3.8 is a marvelously fuel-efficient engine but it is also very powerful. Do you accelerate quickly? anticipate stopping to ease off the accelerator? combine short trips? use gasoline from a clean and reputable source?

BTW, our '00 Bonneville (same 3.8 engine as the GP GT) has 11k miles on it and has averaged 24.1 mpg since new. I'm not a red-light racer though. Well, not often anyway.
  • Hey, guys I drive a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I constantly blow BMWs away on the highway, in terms of acceleration, braking and even cornering. Yes, they are racing me.

I have heard so much hype about BMWs, I had to go test some. I tested the Z3 3.0 automatic. The Z3 is the highest performance car with the 3.0 inline 6 (330, 330ci, 530). The Z3 is the lightest, and lowest/widest of these cars, with the same HP/Torque and 5 speed automatic or manual drive train. BMW claims a 6.0 0-60 with the automatic. The car is no where near as fast off the line as my bone stock GTP, or Previous Regal GS.

I didn't think the car corned better on the roads driven during the test drive, at 8/10ths driving. What is the deal with these cars ?

You mention this to any Beemer owner and they will call you all sorts of names, and quote an bunch of third party 0-60 and skidpad numbers. I know there are differences between the real world and test track. However, 0-60 with automatics should at least be pretty close.
  • After a year of looking for just the right car, we finalized a deal last week on an 01 Grand Prix GT. It's a beautiful dark green now sporting a bra on the front plus mirror bras on both sides. The car looks wonderful. We looked at the Impala SS and Hyundai GS300L. Couldn't get a decent price for our trade-in (1994 Chrysler LHS) so we went with Pontiac and their 0.0% financing. The salesman was wonderful as was everyone else at the dealership we were introduced to. Took the car out this weekend for a little trip and got 29.9 average gas mileage. Fantastic!!! We went ahead with this car instead of waiting for the 03 Mercury Marauder. We just weren't quite yet ready for a "grandpa" car. So far so good for the Grand Prix.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    In my opinion...

Loose the bra. Nothing worse than a nice new car with an ugly black rubber/vinyl hunk of fabric hung on the front of it, chaffing the paint with water and grit getting under it.

Ugh...

(Unless you live in the Gulf Coast area with the 'lovebugs'. These nasty little black bugs with their 'Alien-like' acidic insides would make me re-think a bra.)
    I live in the Gulf Coast and the love bug season should be here pretty soon. I'll probably get a bra just for the 6 weeks or so that they'll be plaquing us. I believe I'll have to order one so probably need to look into it soon!

marshmellow - Hope you enjoy your new car. I see the green Grand Prix's out on the road and it's a pretty color.
  • I live in central Illinois where the bugs during the corn and soybean season can destroy the front end of the nicest vehicle. We don't intend to keep the bras on year round but we do travel a fair amount and after seeing what no protection on the front of our LHS did to the paint, we are opting for the bra. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

My husband is THE MOST ANAL person you have ever met regarding HIS cars. He owns a 1988 Camaro IROC-Z convertible with 17K miles on it. Does that tell you something about how he takes care of vehicles? We are aware of the chaffing possibility and the need to take the bra off at the first hint of moisture. However, I suspect the Grand Prix will rarely see a wet pavement (except for traveling, which can't be avoided). The Camaro has yet to catch it's first drop of rain. He does have a bra on it but uses it only for traveling to shows and then promptly takes it off.

We are looking forward to a better experience with the Grand Prix than with the Chrysler products we have had. Chrysler has design over anyone else, in my opinion, but their dependability and service isn't worth a fart in a whirlwind.
  • szwickszwick Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a Grand Prix 4 door sedan. No older than a 1999 and would like any information anyone may have regarding reliability or any problems that anyone may have had.
    szwick...
    I've only had my Grand Prix for 3 months so it's really too soon to have any problems but I don't hear about too many problems on this board. I have an SE with the 3.1 L engine and most people here seem to have the 3.8.

Good luck in your car hunting!
  • kdstankdstan Posts: 17
    What is the purpose of the performance shift button on the gear shift of the GTP? Does this switch the supercharger on and off. Does it boost the horsepower of the car? For better fuel economy is it best to turn it off?

Thanks,
    kdstan
  • pinettedpinetted Posts: 104
    The performance shift button changes the shift points (higher or lower rpm) and how quickly and firmly the car shifts. In other words with the performance shift turned on it will hold a gear longer and shift quicker.
  • Just traded in my 92 Grand Prix for a 99 GP SE w/3800 engine. I love the power, handling, and quietness of the car. The BOSE speakers are awesome too. Definitely a winner. Just hope it takes good care of me like old faithful did. Hope everyone likes theirs as much as I do.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Well, my wife decided between the Intrigue GLS and the Grand Prix GT. While out looking at Intrigues, we stumbled across a white GTP sedan with the 75th anniversary package. I like black cars, while my wife likes white, and this was her style. The "arctic" white is much nicer than the ivory/bone white of the Intrigue. We also decided that, since we already have an Aurora, we have the luxury (for when we travel together) - we wanted the sport. The GTP and GLS were close in price (GM discount), but the 0.9 financing for 60 months made it a no-brainer.

We pick it up Friday...

--Robert
    (former owner of a '91 GP SE, who loved that car and put 150,000 miles on it)
    Congratulations on your new GTP! I'm sure you and your wife will really enjoy it.
    Sharp car! Congratulations.

BTW, I'm an Aurora admirer too - came darned close to buying a '99 and even considered a '01 before settling on our '00 Bonneville. I don't think I could have gone wrong with any of them.
    Since the subject of "love bugs" and car bras came up a few posts ago, I have a question regarding car bras. What exactly should I look for and avoid regarding the car bras? I've never used one before.

I just started spotting the love bugs today so they'll be around for 6 weeks or so and I need to find a bra soon. I'm looking for something that will keep the bugs out of the radiator as well as protect the paint.

I called Auto Zone and they have one I can order for $64 and there is no obligation to buy if it's not what I'm looking for. I don't want to buy online because if it's not what I want, I don't want to bother shipping it back.

Does anyone know if any one car parts store would have a better car bra than the others? And if the mesh used to protect the radiator would scratch the paint.

These bugs come out in massive numbers so I imagine the radiator would be the main concern.

Any help would be appreciated!

Stacy
    I've answered your question in that "other" forum we populate but I can't really help you any more than that - having never used a bra, I lack the personal experience to pass on about which one to choose.

Good luck and let us know which one you choose.
    You all might remember the little problem that I recently had remedied on the spoiler on my '01 GT. Here's a link explaining the problem: GM Techlink
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Look here:

www.carbras.com

This is the Car Bra that I bought for my 2001 Impala LS. This is the best front end mask available on the market. The 'Perfect Fit' car bra is also sold as original OEM equipment for almost every car brand in the market. The quality of materials, construction and the way the bra fits is simply perfect.

I haven't had any problems with mine and it indeed goes a long way to protect the hood and bumper paint finish on your vehicle from road stones, debri, bug splatter, etc.

It may not look very pretty, but I prefer to have a Car Bra installed over the aggravation of accumulating stone paint chips in the hood and bumper.

Car Bras do demand special care, you should remove them every time you clean the car and they also need to be cleaned accordingly (They do dry very, very fast). Cleaning under the bra should occur at least every one to two weeks.

The Perfect Fit car bra has excellent materials to prevent accidental moisture entrapment under the paint finish or mold formation (This was a problem in car bras back in the '80's). The paint finish 'Breathes' thru the car bra so even if it rains on it, it will not be a problem.

I highly recommend it. It costs $84.00 plus $10.00 for UPS delivery to your door. The Company is located up in Canada but US residents can order directly from their website (Link above).

This is how your GP would look with the Car Bra on:

http://www.carbras.com/perfectfit/bigcars/pontiac_1997-2000%20prix.htm

Notice the bug screen over the radiator openings.

Hope this helps.

How's the GP doing?

PS: Stay away from the cheap imitation called 'Le Bra' (or otherwise known as 'Le Crap') sold of most discount auto parts stores. That bra is the worst junk you can buy.

• nanny17nanny17 Posts: 2
    "Le Bra = La Crap" Cute
    Do you know if the car bra in auto parts stores would harm the paint if I just needed it for 6 weeks? These bugs only last for that length of time. I hate to spend almost $100 for just 6 weeks.

I kept my '91 Grand Am so the smart thing to do would be to drive that for the next six weeks. The Grand Am is a 4 cylinder (110 hp) car and I'm used to the 6 cylinder GP. I hate the thought of driving a 10 year old car when I've got a brand new one to drive.

I love the Grand Prix. How's your car? I see a gold Impala around town that was probably the color of your 2000. I think the 2001 gold is a little darker. Both are nice looking colors.