Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• moondawgmoondawg Posts: 24
    Hi.I've been looking around for an all around car,something with four doors,since I have a Toyota Solara,and I need more room.I spotted a used GP at a dealers lot.It's a 2000 model,dark blue,(I think it was,since it was nighttime when I saw it).I think it has the 3800 with supercharger.52000 miles on it.Is it worth it?
  • smily1smily1 Posts: 104
    I am on my secound GP GTP. First was a 97 2-door. Bought that a week before we found out we were going to have a baby. Traded it in for an exploder. Just last year we bought our secound 1999 GTP 4-door for 15k. Love these cars. My wife loves them as much as I.

To answer your question I would say it all depends on the price, but yes...I think its worth it. But for peace of mind I always recommend an extended warranty for newer "used" cars.

I also modified mine to about 300hp! weeeeeeeeeee!
  • moondawgmoondawg Posts: 24
    Thanks for your input.I went back there today(the dealers'lot).It's a GTP with 52000+ miles on it.They're asking $14,995,and I saw a advertised price 0f $13,995.
    ALso,is there anything I should be wary of,since there is a supercharger?Any special care I should know?
    Check the oil level of the supercharger. It should be up to the bottom of the threads on the allen bolt. Although dealerships recommend topping it off I would suggest changing it with 52000 on the car. Prepare for a stench if you do. That stuff stinks! Thats all the special stuff you need to know about. Not much to worry about with these cars.

I think you can negotiate $12,000 for the car. Maybe 12,800 with extended warranty. I had 18,000 miles on my car when I bought it.

Have fun!
  • I purchased my GTP about six months ago and I've had a couple of what I consider to be major problems. It had approx. 60K on it when I bought it and it was in pristine condition. Completely loaded with 10 disk cd changer in the trunk, sunroof, leather seats with the drivers heated. I had an issue with my transmission a couple of months ago and was able to get it repaired without having to replace it. The most recent issue was my rack & pinion went out which cost me $600.00. I still feel something not right in the steering wheel or column when I'm turning but no one can tell me what it is. I know its there. It is not cv joints because its not an actual knocking but its like a knot or something. Anyone else had this problem?
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    You might check out the problems page at:

www.grandprix.net

Haven't had the steering problem you describe, but did have tranny probs. Good luck. It's a fun car when it's running properly, eh?
  • I had a trany problem as well, what was the problem you had with yours?
  • We just bought a 2002 GP GT. We love it, except for the stereo. I realize that factory systems are very seldom impressive (although my husband has a 98 Explorer with the stereo upgrade and it sounds great), but we even purchased the Bose speakers option. The radio sounds a little fuzzy, almost like there's background noise, and even CDs sound like they're being played in a hallway, with clear highs, but almost nothing in the mid- and low-ranges. We're disappointed. It's possible that maybe we're doing something wrong, but I don't know what. Any suggestions?
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    It's possible something is wrong. I have heard Bose systems in the Intrigue and they sound great. That said, if you are a real audiophile perhaps you are looking for more than what a Bose system will give you.

---

beach15 : Great looking 2004 GP. Apparently it should be here middle of next year.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Bose systems are not going to give you thumping bass. In general, they will provide a very clear, clean sound. The old saying is "No highs, no lows, must be Bose".

Have the dealer check it out, but be prepared that there may not be anything wrong with the system.

--Robert
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    Like hammen2 points out the bose system will bring out clear clean sounds but in a small area like the inside of an auto you can't really get the concert hall sound like their indoor systems. I was unimpressed with the bose in my 2000 GTP. The power is also limited and this won't allow one to drive the upper/lower spectrum. The bose on my 2001 Denali is quite a bit better but it has a subwofer in the back and much more open space.

I saw some drawings of the new GP, much cleaner than the old and current. Nice looking car and I understand a bit more HP. I'm struggling to decide on making a screaming deal on a 2002, wait for the new GP or go after one of the new GTOs due out next year!
  • I had a 1995 Aurora with the Bose stereo, currently a 2001 I30T with it and now a recent 2002 GTP coupe with the Bose. The Bose in the I30T hands down sounds the best & Loudest out of those 3 cars. I know Infiniti actually tells you the Power rating which is 200 watts. Aurora and GP do not tell you how many watts the amp can put out. I'm wondering if the GM Bose systems just have a WEAKER amp then say the Nissan/Infiniti systems? That could be why. I have had aftermarket Kenwood systems that MUCH sound better then the Stock GM Bose systems. You are right, the Bose has limited lows, even with the acoumast subwoof in my I30T, I have had regular 6x9's put out just as much bass as that so called subwoofer. The high's are acceptable, the bass is not.
  • hengheng Posts: 411
    You people who put in the K&N air filters - any perceived improvement in mid to upper end engine breathing?
    I have replaced my entire factory air box with a Fenderwell 12" K&N cone intake. I noticed quite a gain due to the free flowing cold air. I also have other modifications that compliment this setup. They include:

3.4" blower pulley

gotorback pulley belt

Random Tech. 3" Downpipe

180 thermostat

Mobil 1 synthetic

K&N is made of an oiled cotton fiber that provides less of a restriction than paper filters such as FRAM. A stock replacement K&N filter will net you unnoticeable gains.

These are pictures of my Fenderwell setup. As with any free flowing exhaust you will hear some intake noise including the supercharger whine at wide open throttle or partial engine load. You can feel it the most at the upper RPM range:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291506015

• hengheng Posts: 411
    I don't have the blower so maybe there won't be a noticeable difference.
  • I currently drive a 1994 Dodge Intrepid ES. It's pure junk, and I want to buy a Grand Prix GTP. Can anyone tell me if there was an Automatic Climate Control system available on any of the Grand Prixs? I know there is a dual-manual system available, but is there an auto system like the one the Bonneville has? I didn't think so, but looking at the Edmunds picture of their 1998 GTP they reviewed, I'd swear there was an auto climate control system in it.

Can anyone give me more info? Thanks in advance.

Ed
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    My 99 GTP has dual zone automatic climate control - as in set a temperature and let it go. Works OK.
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    my 2000 GTP had auto climate control, I believe it may have been part of an option package. Many of the 2002, 2003 units on the lot at the dealership I visit have the dual auto climate control dsm6 mentions.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    SInce '97 model, GPs had dual automatic climate control available. But starting with 2002 model year they switched to dual manual.
  • Thanks for the information. I'm looking for a '97 or '98 GTP. Carpoint lists that the '99 GTP's have trouble with the ignition lock cylinder failing, and a few other things that aren't listed as problems on the '97 and '98 models.

Does anyone know how it was packaged? Was it a stand-alone option, or was it in a package with, say, leather, heated driver's seat, and a few other things?

Where did you all find the information regarding the dual climate control? Is it online somewhere, or is it just based on cars you have seen?

Ed
  • ckeyckey Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 GP GT, little over 38,000 miles that i bought used...i'ved noticed weird shifting when it is cold...it hesitates to shift and at times seems to either skip or jump to neutral and back into gear....it goes away once the car is warmed up....i found a technical service bulletin on edmunds but doesn't give a remedy.... anybody else had this problem or know what it takes or how to fix it
  • I'm glad the SE is gone for '04, it was a throwback to the stodgy GP's of the 80's with velour benchs and dog dish hubcaps.

If they want a conservative car, get a Century.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Sounds like the clutch packs are worn and it might need to be rebuilt.
    Pretty impressive. StabiliTrak, side curtain airbags, etc.
    media.gm.com
    The TAPshift sounds very cool. I would be all over that.

I only wish the base motor was one of the new ohc engines. That said the 3800 is pretty good.
    It is killing me that GM doesn't have a DOHC motor
    in the mid sizers. Even Ford has that.
    I suspect the 3800 will be replaced in 2005 or 06 at the latest. The new V6's start hitting the street next year in the CTS and Malibu.

Isn't the Ford ohc made by someone else though?
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Checked out the interior picture. Will there ever be a W-Body with a hand operated emergency brake!?