Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    The picture of the future "Grand Prix" in R&T looked like a mix of the Moon rover and the Aztek...

AFAIK, there's no substitute planned for the Bonnie.

:^(
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    I looked at Road and Track Online and couldn't find a picture. Was it in the current issue of the magazine? Looks like I'll be going to a newsstand to try and find it.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    A 2003 replacement is already on schedule. Look for DOHC engines and possibly RWD.

I think Evandro is confused with the upcoming 2002 Pontiac Vibe, which is a sportwagon/hybrid type of vehicle and it is a spin off of the all new 2003 Toyota Corolla. It is built at the GM/Toyota NUMMI Fremmont, California plant and it is built along side the '03 Corolla and the Toyota Tacoma compact pickup. The Vibe uses Toyota mechanicals (Current Celica engine)but it has all the Toyota quality at a Pontiac price.

The Vibe is set to replace the archaic Pontiac Sunfire after 2002. The Chevy Prizm (Current Corolla model) has been discontinued to make room for the Pontiac Vibe production.

After 2002, the Pontiac Firebird/Trans AM will be discontinued. Look for the Opel Speedster (Lotus Elise spinoff) to replace it at your nearest Pontiac dealer:

www.opel.com (Then click on Speedster)

The Grand AM is set to be redesigned for the 2004 model year and it will be moved from the N Body platform to the all new 'Sigma' platform which will be used first by the 2002 Cadillac CTS.

The new '02 Aztek will show up in November and will be slightly redesign. The future of this mounstrousity is uncertain however. Very likely the Vibe will take over the Aztek lineup.

The Bonneville will be discontinued after 2005 and no replacements are planned. It is likely the H body platform will be discontinued as well after that year.
    Stnel, it's on the printed magazine. I tried to find the picture on their site before posting but had no success.

Teo, I wish I'm wrong, but the magazine article posted a picture not of the Vibe, but of the new Grand Prix, though I'm not sure if it was the one for 2003 or later.

But what has surprised me is that it also stated that Pontiac will drop all sedans from its line-up. :^(

The Opel Speedster as much of a replacement of the F-body as the Mercury Cougar was for the Tbird-based one... It's got Saturn's engine! 8^O It may thrill Europeans, but Americans yawn at it. :^)

I thought that the Sigma platform would be RWD, in which case I think is unplausible for the Sunfire...
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    I think the "Speedster becoming a Pontiac" is dead. The new Grand Am is on the Epsilon, not the Sigma platform. The Bonneville was to be supplanted by a sport wagon called the "Banner", but that has recently been axed (and maybe was what Road and Track was saying would be the new Grand Prix). The Buick Signia (sister car to the Banner) is dead as well. Expect many changes in GM's current plans from 2004-onward, now that Bob Lutz is running GM's product development (he can't do anything about the 2002 and 2003 cars, but 2004 onward he'll have tons of impact)...

See http://www.autonews.com/html/main/futureproduct.htm for more info.

--Robert

I hope that Lutz reviews ALL GM plans! They may have got mesmerized by the huge profits made with trucks (remember when trucks were cheaper than cars?), while foreign brands have almost displaced the Big 3 in the car market (what's a Hyundai?). Now that they are attacking the truck market (Toyota has more truck models than GM!), guess whose truck those car buyers would buy? I just hope that the Ivory Tower, I mean, Renaissance Center gets some fresh air... ;^)
    GM's auto lineup is really hurting right now. You can tell by the incentives. 0.0 (36 months) or 0.9 (48-60 months) or $2000 cash back on Grand Prix's. And the GP, to me, is one of GM's best current cars, one out of about 3-4 I'd consider for my daily driver (and I'm a long-time GM fan whose dad worked for/ mother-in-law works for GM).

My wife is looking at picking one up to replace her '96 Lumina. We test drove a black GT Sedan with the 75th Anniversary package + 1SD option package. The handling was nice, the acceleration just OK (I drive a 98 Aurora so I'm used to the V-8), but there was something wrong with one of the pulleys the serpentine belt was riding on (it was squealing something fierce). Whether this robbed it of power, I don't know.

The dealer's checking that out right now, and, if they can fix it, I'd have no mechanical worries with the car (since we'd still have the 3/36 warranty). Unfortunately, the interior is so cheap and plasticy, and I worry about how well it holds up over the long term. Any '97-'99 model year owners care to share their experiences? Anything break off, or rattle? My '91 SE (older bodystyle) had much higher quality switchgear than this new one...

--Robert
    Was the picture of the 2003 Grand Prix in the September issue of Road and Track? I saw an article on 2003-2005 cars but couldn't find a Grand Prix in there. I was wondering if you saw it from a previous issue.
    I'm not sure which month, but the latest one with a spy shot of a yellow, next generation Acura NSX on the cover.

The supposedly Grand Prix is a greenish "moon rover". Right below it there's a smaller picture of the next Regal as well...
    I'll have to look through the magazine again. I probably overlooked it. There was a yellow car on the cover so it sounds like the right issue.
    What year GP were you looking at to buy? The 97 and 98 didn't do as well in Consumer Reports because those were the first 2 years for that new styling. The rating jumped back up to "Recommended" for '99 to present. I don't know how many people have been happy/unhappy with their '97 and '98 GP's.

I have as SE so can't really give advice on the GT - completely different engines. And I've only had the car for 3 months.

evandro - I didn't get to Barnes and Noble to look through R&T again--too cheap to buy the magazine when I just want to look at that one picture!
  • hengheng Posts: 411
    No problems at 38000 miles, only the goodyear LSs were done at 22000 miles.
    The car in the picture in R&T referred to as a future Grand Prix was this. Actually, it's grown on me and I think it's kinda cute...

What's happening to me? Is there a crossover in my future??? ;^)

Thanks for the picture. It is a little strange looking from the Grand Prix's we're used to. From the article I saw in R&T, it looks like it will fit right in. All those cars I saw had that "futuristic" look!
    Hi stnel,

My wife and I are looking at a 2000 GT sedan (specifically, one with the 75th Anniversary package in black) as her daily driver.

My reliability concerns aren't so much with the car (I know the 3800 engine is pretty solid), but with the interior. The quality of the materials (including the switchgear and the leather on the seats) does not inspire much confidence.

We're also looking around at Regal LS, Intrigue GLS, and even the Monte Carlo SS (we both agree that the Impala is just too ugly :-). We normally wouldn't buy new cars, but the "GM employee family discount", plus the current cash-back and financing offers, are just too good to pass up...

--Robert
    When I was car shopping, Oldsmobile was offering a 5 year/60,000 mile warranty--at least that's what the salesman told me. He was trying to sell me an Alero when I was looking at the Chevy's so I didn't pay that much attention to the Oldsmobile warranty. I don't know if they're still offering that warranty or not. I think it was back in April when I was at that particular Chevy/Olds dealership.

I had a '91 Grand Am before this car and everything in that car rattled. I hope the Grand Prix doesn't do that when it gets some years on it.
    I haven't forgotten to let you know about the bug screen. My dad's busy this week with other things but as soon as he gets around to it, I'll let you know if he was able to work the screen in there.
  • theicemantheiceman Posts: 736
    If crash test results are important, you should check out the performance of the vehicles you are considering: crashtest.com is a good summary whereas you'll find the NHTSA results for the cars you're considering at: nhtsa.dot.gov. The Intrigue was high on my list as well because of style, engine, handling, price and fold-down rear seat - until I discovered its poor rear seat side impact results. I can handle the GP's 2-star front side impact results but it's my kids who sit in the back and the Intrigue's 1 star there is just unacceptable to me.

The Regal does better on the safety issue but it was (slightly) pricier than the GP-GT (for the same level of equipment) and it had just a tad too much body roll in cornering for my tastes. Very nice car though.

The Monte Carlo has easily the best NHTSA results of the cars you're considering and has the same powerful, economical and reliable 3.8 powertrain as the Regal and GP-GT. If a 2 door suits you and the styling appeals....

Good luck

I didn't realize the Monte Carlo had such good crash test results--practically as good as the Impala.

I was concerned about the 2 star side impact rating but wound up buying the GP anyway. I seldom have a passenger in the car so only had to concern myself with crash test results pertaining to the driver.

Car rattling - A lot of people criticize GM's for cheap plastic but I didn't think it was all that cheap looking. Guess it's what you're comparing it too. Compared to the Grand Am, it doesn't look cheap but compared to the Buick, I imagine the Buick would have a nicer interior. (I bought cloth seats so didn't have to worry about the quality of the leather seats.)

Hope you find a car you like!
  • dizee65dizee65 Posts: 1
    Hi, I own a GP GT 2000. My question for everyone is the mileage. I drive about 16,000 a year. I figured monthly 900-950 miles is parkway driving and I am at 16.8 miles. When I bought the car the sticker states it should be 20 city and 26 hwgy so I figured i should get at least 22 miles.
    Please forward all you suggestions. The dealership of course said there is nothing wrong. I dont believe them.