Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    I saw the following post in the Buick Regal forum. Did anyone else read the R & T article?

"From Road & Track Oct'01
    Black Stock Regal GNX S.C. 300-bhp
    hood has a power dome...looks much like current grandprix??? With 18" Wheels...is this possible???
    I think this car should be called GSX not GNX!!!
    Here's what I don't understand...
    Regal's sister car Grand Prix will become G8. A 5.7 V-8 @ 350-HP with VERSATRACK all wheel drive...WOW!!! With 19"(255/40ZR-19) tires...is this possible???
    Why can't the next generation GN have this package???"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • tsjay is right - there is a certain amount of dealer profit built into these warranties so they are negotiable. A $1500 warranty could easily become $1000-$1200. I know that we've been offered a GM extended warranty to 5/60 (instead of 3/36) for our '00 Bonneville at the equivalent of roughly $US950. The problems is that the kind of mileage we do (about 20k miles p.a.), that's going to buy me piece of mind for only 16 months.

So MY question becomes not "are my repairs likely to significantly exceed $950?" but "are my repairs covered by warranty which would occur in that 16 month period likely to significantly exceed $950?" Let's just say that I'm not prepared to pay $60/mo. on the off-chance that something bad is going to befall the car.

Besides, we can purchase the extended warranty at any time before the factory warranty expires (this probably applies in the States as well - you might want to check it out). So if the car turns out to be "questionable" two years from now, we can change our minds and extend the warranty (& risk a warranty price increase....)
  • I plan on getting an extended warranty for my 2000 GTP. It makes sense to me. I will be going 3rd party via Warranty Gold. The thing about GM's own extended warranty is it doesn't extend from the time you purchase the warranty, only when you purchased the car. Warranty gold has a diamond plan that will cover you up to 7 years, 100,000 miles at the time of warranty purchase.

Given some of the major complaints with the GTP with people who have owned them more than 3 years (alternator, window motors, steering rack) it will give me more peace of mind knowing I'll be covered in the event that happens to me.

I've owned a number of cars, both Japanese and Domestic, and *ALL* of them needed some sort of major repair during their lives. So the question is, do you want to bet that the repair is under the $1200 or so dollars an extended warranty will cost you? I'm not.
  • This is a car GM should be proud of. I had the luxury of renting a 2000 Grand Prix SE with the 3.8 V6. It was a excellent car.

I only had 2 gripes.

1. The acceleration didnt really meet up to my expectations. It really seemed to lose steam up in the higher end but the low end grunt was great.

2. The brake pedal sits up too high. I had to lift my foot to get to the pedal. I am used to my integra where I can just shift my foot over to the brake.

There were a few other quirks that I attributed more to the high altitude (Lake Tahoe) then the car. The performance sucked driving through the mountains. The other problem I had was just unexplained stalling. Twice when I was just stopped the car just stalled without warning.

Other then the above the car was perfect. It was comfortable, quiet and it felt really solid. Once I got back home I actually started looking into getting a Grand Prix. They are very value priced and the resale is great.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    I have the Warranty Gold police for my 98 Malibu. Had experience with replacing intake manifold gasket. They paid $550 without objecting.

However, after experiencing the delays and inconveniences of the 3-rd party warranty, my wife and I decided against buying it for our new car, 2000 Regal. Not only Warranty Gold, but any warranty. We even are discussing dropping the current one; did not do it mostly for lack of time...

""Warranty Gold" Claims" Sep 13, 2001 10:18am
  • Did any of you know that there is a 7 year 70k mile warranty on the supercharger. At least there is on the Regal so I don't see why there wouldn't be on the Grand Prix.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Numerous people over on the Aurora board have had problems with Warranty Gold (or, more specifically, their Warranty Administrator) authorizing repairs in a timely manner. For this reason, I went with 1Source for the warranty on my Aurora.

Don't EVER buy the extended warranty from the dealer. = RIPOFF (>50% markup). Before your factory warranty expires (i.e. hopefully a couple of years down the road), you can buy an extended one from a (reputable) third-party warranty company, for still much less than what the dealer wants to charge up front. And, as someone said, you'll then have a couple of years of repair history to demonstrate how reliable your car is, and decide if you want to do it.

I got the warranty on the Aurora because it does have some chronic issues. Plus, being a luxury V-8, it has much more stuff on it/things to go wrong than most cars. Whether or not we get a warranty on my wife's new white 75th Anniversary GTP, we'll decide in a couple of years...

Hope this helps someone,

--Robert
  • Found this a while back. Some of you might be interested in using it as wallpaper: 2002 Grand Prix
  • I posted this problem at the beginning of August of the outside temp not reading correctly, leading to no air conditioning. I purchased the outside temp sensor from the dealer for $8 and replaced the old one. This unfortunately didn't fix the problem. Still read around 50 degrees on 90+ degree days. Took it to the dealer who couldn't diagnose the problem after 3 hours. They wanted to replace the whole unit - about $600 with labor. My warranty was up and GM offered no assistance, so I said no. Just happen to talk to the salesman that sold me the car when I went to pick it up. He wheeled and dealed with the service manager and offered to order the part for free ($500 +) if I pay an hour labor. So I kinda lucked out.

Just a warning, if you notice this sporadic problem ... take it to the dealer right away before your warranty runs out.

Other than that, no problems! 'knock' 'knock'
    1998 Grand Prix GTP
    34,500 Miles ...
  • lwh3lwh3 Posts: 6
    You correctly pointed out that the 40th Anniversary Grand Prix's haven't been made yet. I'm wondering whether you've heard when they're likely to be produced. I saw an ad on p. 134 of the October Road & Track. I'd think Pontiac would want to build the thing soon if they're out there creating demand for it.
  • Ran into my 40th GP source at the Patriots game on Sunday. He has been keeping in touch with the dealer because he wants to see one first. He says they have now been taking orders from dealers the last two weeks for late October production.
  • Sorry you had to go to the Patriots game. A few weeks back someone posted about the handling of the Grand Prix in Winter. I own a new G.P. and live in New England and am also interested in an answer to this question. BTW Bledsowmuch is out for at least the next two games.
  • How fast is the GTP from 0 to 60? Is is about 6 seconds.
  • Most 0-60 times for the (unmodified) gtp are quoted around 6.6-6.7 sec.
  • In my experience, I have been very pleased with the handling of this vehicle. Granted, most of the other vehicles I have driven have been mostly RWD, but I have found that the FWD is very forgiving in the winter. In retrospect, I think the handling has made me a little too confident which may not be a good thing. I was expecting worse initially, since I drive a GTP, but the traction control seems to do a good job of controlling wheelspin. My subdivision exits on an incline into a fairly busy road... in the blazer I would have to put it in 4wd just so I could pull out before a car got too close... with the GTP, no problem. The anti-lock has also worked very well. The only improvement I could think of would be AWD (in the future maybe?)...
  • We only got our GP GT in May so are looking forward to winter driving. Given that our '00 Bonneville drove like a dream for the duration of last (very snowy) winter, I expect the GP to be as good - if not slightly better. After all, the GP's tires are a tad (okay, only 10mm) narrower.
  • check out car-stats.com and post your times there. Mid to upper 6's are posted there - and confirm what I've read elsewhere.
  • A lot of owners have gotten low to mid sixes, stock. The official number from GM is 6.4. You can also go to www.gp-owners.com. I have also seen low to mid 14s for the quarter, once again stock. My informal testing puts my car at between 6.0 and 6.2, and 1/4 in around 14.4 -14.5. I actually just raced and beat a new BMW M Roadster the other night, in a several highway exchanges between 50MPH and around 120MPH.
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    I washed my car a couple of days ago and the part where the tire kicks up dirt onto the side of the car on the paint (by the tire well) wouldn't come off. It looked clean while wet but once dried, it was still there. (I washed it a few times and still wouldn't clean off.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it off?

The car's new but I haven't been able to wash it for 3 months due to back problems. I finally couldn't stand the dirt anymore and wen't on and washed it.

Any advice would be helpful. I'd hate to think the paint job in that area has been ruined.

(If anyone knows of any product to use, I'd rather find something in the store than ordering Zaino online.) I don't order online like I used to--find once I get started with online shopping, I start overdoing it and spending LOTS of money that way so have quit shopping online for the most part.
  • what's the colour of your GP and what is the colour of the "dirt" - or is it a patterned discoloration like a haze?