Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    I have criteria for stylistic success in a car other than just seeing the blue GM 'mark of excellence' on some sticker on the door jamb or under the hood, or in the owners manual.

If Camrys ever came with a GM badge on it, I suppose you'd all of a sudden find those attractive as well.
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    I stated earlier that Pontiac's choice of cloth is not for my tastes, but there are auto upholstery shops than can recover the seats just like factory. So if the cloth pattern is tha only major objection.... I mention it as it is an alternative - negotiate the price down and then find a reputable shop to recover the seats in a better choice. My father in law somehow got a puncture in his Regal's leather - he found a shop that was able to match the leather and recover the seat cushion so it looked like it had never been damaged. Years ago I had a pickup seat(bench) recovered that was nicer than the original ever could have dreamed of.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    While I'm a leather seat person, the new GP cloth is pretty bad. This seems to be a trend among all automakers with GM's cloth being the worst these days. Bad thing is, GM used to put pretty nice cloth in their cars. I actually preferred the ultra plush cloth seats of the some of their higher end Buicks and Oldsmobiles back in the late 80s. Now you can get cloth as a no cost option on most of those models, but it's not very nice cloth.

vcjumper, the new GP doesn't offer automatic climate control at all. In fact, the GP hasn't offered this in several years. I noticed this two years ago when I was seriously considering a GTP coupe.

gunit, I agree with you on the GP coupe although the GTO is what it taking it's place ultimately. The GP was redesigned in 97 I wanted a GTP coupe so bad, but being in college then I just could not afford one. Almost bought one two years ago, but the "de-contented" interior turned me off. I'm one of the rare who likes a good size coupe. The Grand Am/Alero and Stratus/Sebring are too small. A coupe the size of the Monte Carlo or GP is just right. The Monte is just not very good looking IMO and doesn't offer the supercharged V6 like the GP did.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Reg : Hate the Camry, ugly. Don't like the Accord sedan much, love the Accord coupe though, beautiful. As I've said before, I've owned lots of other brands in the past so don't label me as your argument.

orwoody : I'm hoping Pontiac wakes up this year and offers better cloth for next year. I think the whole cloth thing is a plot to sell leather though.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    it probably is a plot, that's a good point.
  • richm4richm4 Posts: 169
    In the past couple of weeks, two different people have complimented me on the new look of the 2004 GTP, and they commented that it looked like a CTS. I thought that was rather strange.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    The 04 GTP seems like pretty much a full size vehicle, CTS looks small in comparison. They overlap each other in price though.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    the rear view has the same "shoulders" as CTS
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    As I mentioned before, many brands seem to be using pretty cheap cloth in their cars these days. My guess is it is a plot they are all using to get customers to buy leather. On the GP, my guess is somebody at the last minute noticed the cloth was pretty bad and decided to include the heated seats with the leather rather than making them an option knowing that in northern climates, many people do not want leather because of the cold. Come on Pontiac, some cloth that is as good as the previous GP's is all were(or at least some) are asking for.
    richm4 : Maybe these people had just seen the new Matrix movie which has about 50 GM cars in it including the CTS. I don't see any resemblance though.

oldsman : Heated seats are key with leather up here. I think I may go for it next time as it's easier to clean kid's messes (or dad's for that matter). I would not say the cloth is cheap though, it's just a matter of bad patterns.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    I'll never buy another car without leather. Easier to clean, feels better than cloth (no static zaps), etc.

Here's an article/commentary from the Detroit News, where Paul Lienert discusses the possibility of Opel coming back to the U.S., and he contrasts two of Opel's new vehicles (esp. interior) with the new Grand Prix and revised Sunfire:

http://www.detnews.com/2003/insiders/0305/21/insider-171179.htm

FYI,

--Robert
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I am not wild about the cloth, but I don't mind it and the seats are EXTREMELY comfortable which to me is much more important. GP has about the best seating position and comfort I have seen in it's class. While leather would be nice, it's not one of the more important things. I'd rather spend the money on a sun roof or a better stereo.

The GP looks nothing like the CTS unless you are nearly blind.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    Are we confusing "cheap" with "poor pattern" choices. I agree that the Sunfire interior is horrendous, probably the reason sales are off 25%+. Atleast you can fold down the rear seat to cover the back. The Grand Prix also is not the most hansome pattern. Never understood why the manufacturers felt there should be patterns and even more why the cloth needs names. And at least we know how much time Mr, Lienert spent inside the Grand Prix if he thinks the DIC is just an odometer.
    Keep in mind the GM 24hr test drive for all you who are questioning the car. Take it and post back.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,371
    Mr. Lienert's impressions are exactly the same as mine. For a while I thought that maybe Canadian GPs were getting a different dash or plastic quality than those that have been reviewed elsewhere or seen by folks here. Now I know I my impressions of the poor quality GP interior are not alone. It is shockingly unimpressive for an otherwise good car.

As for the plot to sell leather, that is a risky strategy. This is a very competitive class and forcing leather on people may well cost them sales by making the price uncompetitive. No, I think the geniuses that run GM and design their interiors think that people actually like this stuff. How far they have fallen compared to a few decades ago when GM interiors were the class of the field.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

"shockingly unimpressive"
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    The reporter just forgot to say that a sub-4m car as the Meriva would find very few, if any, buyers on this side of the Atlantic. And perhaps he had one too many schnaps stating the Signum interior is in any way more refined than the GP's... Then again, he might have driven a high-end version, as journalists often do, with faux-wood and a $2000 navigation system...

Having visited Opel's factory near Frankfurt last year where the new Vectra is made, I just can't understand the hype... I guess that some think that any junk, as long as from Europe, is fashionable... ;-)
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 332
    Just looked and sat in a new GT2. It was garnet red (I didn't note the proper name of the color) with dark leather interior w/sunroof. It looked sharp. Tasteful, refined, yet masculine. The front seats were very comfortable, and I found finding my seating position very easy. All the controls seemed logical and well laid out. I was surprised at how low the bottom of the back seat cushion is. As it is, unless you are very short (I'm only 5'8"), there is no thigh support with the cushion so low. Otherwise the back seemed roomy enough. I like to overall versatility of the interior: folding rear seats as well as the folding front passenger seat. Salesperson quickly began to high pressure me, so my intent on driving it got nixed. I didn't want hear him drone on and on and try to close me. Since I'm not in the market, no real loss. If it drives well I could see being satisfied with the GP. Price seemed competitive, too.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

"Please give it up?" One could say the same about your constant GM cheerleading, my friend. The interior is a big disappointment; many have noted the problem, not just me. For you to deny there is any issue is simply absurd. Even you, in your more lucid moments, are forced to concede that perhaps there is a plot to sell more leather seats by making the standard offering so offensive to many.

As I write this a beautifully restored '65 Impala convertible just rolled past my window. In those days GM knew how to design an eye-pleasing interior. Not any more. For a company that was once the leader, their current offerings are... I hate to say it, "shockingly unimpressive."

• vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Seems ok (though vents and stereo hvac look cheap to me and cloth is juvenile) on the lower model GP's, but the Comp-G is in the same class as entry level TL-S, CTS, G35, etc price wise when I checked it out.
    My point is, you have made the same comment 10 times (hence my comment to give it up). Why are you still here if you hate the car so much?? I don't understand. While I certainly respect your opinion, you posts are all the exact same comment over and over trashing the car.

I have said many times I don't care for the seat patterns and the bubble. Otherwise I REALLY like the car and the dash and the rest of the interior. I haven't had time to test yet, but i will in June.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    YOU haven't driven the car and yet YOU dismiss the comments of those of us who have?

Seems to me that you need to drive first, THEN tell us about YOUR comments.

Meanwhile, let others speak.

I have. With my wallet.

I ain't buying one for mostly the reasons that have been stated here. GM needs to know that.

We who do not like the interior are hardly alone.
    NEVER dismissed you or anyone, I actually said I partially agree many times. Just wish the discussion would move on to other aspects of the car, thats all.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    You got that right. The GP form should be called the "Car seat pattern and plastics forum". It's really getting old guys. For those that don't like it, you have said your piece, lets move on. Posting the same message over and over isn't doing this forum much good!

I'll try again to move the conversation along........

Anyone out there driven a 3800 II and III back to back?
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Posts: 391
    I test drove a GT2 yesterday. I have to say the HUD and the info center really has me hooked. I am a techno gadget type of person. I drove the Sport red (maroon) with the beige leather seats. The cockpit is very nice, seats are very supportive. After driving a 03 Bonne, the GP is much more of a driver's car. My wife sat in the back, and those seats are not that great. I do not like the rear end of this car, but I may get used to it after a while. I want to get the fusion orange, but it cannot be ordered with the lighter leather seats. I like the contrast between the light leather and the black dash.

Does anybody know the 0-60 mph times for the GP and the GTP?
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,548
    I had a previous gen GTP (until some lunatic in an Acura "t-boned" me).

I would say the prev GTP did 0-60 in mid 6s. I test drove the GT and would estimate 0-60 to be in the mid to high 7s.

The new ones should probably shave a tenth or two from those numbers.
    I drove a Bonneville a couple of years ago and it was fine, but I didn't like the interior much and the car felt a bit too big. The GP is a good size and the new upgrades should easily make it a better handling car.

Once my exam is over next week I will take some time and test one.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Posts: 391
    Checked out the SS today, but did not drive one. I've heard they are real slow. How can that be if they have the same engine as the GP, with same HP ratings and about the same weight?
    Dindak, I need to stay here to counterbalance you... ;-)

The comments are appropriate, given the much-ballyhooed arrival of Lutz and his purported abilities to revitalize GMs car line. If the GP is any indication, he has fallen flat on his face. Trust me, nobody is more disappointed than I am. I wanted to like this car and had every intention of giving it serious buying consideration. The interior has dashed those hopes. The comments of Mr. Lienert, one of the more credible writers on the auto scene in Detroit, were dismissed by a few here as off-the-wall. I wanted to state that they were not.

I think GM may have a serious issue developing here. None of their new-car introductions for the last year has been generally well-received, from the flop that is the Ion to the mixed reviews of the CTS and now the GP. How many chances will Lutz get?

• evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Her review actually praises the interior and... (GASP!) doesn't mention the plastic knobs! :-)

But I agree with you that GM has to get its game together or else...

I'm still to see a new GP here in Texas. I've already seen ogres of Porsche Cayennes :-P, but no GPs yet...
  • sdiorisdiori Posts: 20
    Wow...didn't know that we were still debating an old issue!

We all know that GM has been guilty of shortchanging their customers with interior bits. That's obvious. But I really feel that they've made a step in the right direction with the latest GP.

After driving the car, I was definetly hooked. There's performance written all over the GTP...and I squeezed all 260 ponies out the 3800.

With that being said, I will note that were things that were quite peculiar before and after driving the GTP. The first would be a loud "clunk" noise that seemed to repeat itself when I opted to turn on the air conditioning. Weird, huh? The salesman's reply? "That's with all new cars!" Yeah. Right. The second would be the ASTRONOMICAL gap under the dash. I couldn't believe that GM is still leaving areas that large untouched.

In the end, I was almost ready to forgive all the flaws after the ride. Very exhilirating to say the least. ALMOST is the key word.
This discussion has been closed.