Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• phrostedphrosted Posts: 3
    I've seen a whole lot of those Orange CTS' roaming around... I bet they wouldn't have sold nearly as well the second year... I'm really disappointed that blue-black isn't being offered, I really thought that color would look nice on the '04.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Colors change every year and I suspect the orange will only be around for a year. There is usually only so many people that want to be that different.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    I hear Cadillac has canecelled the "orange" color, so it can not be ordered any more. Must need it for Pontiac because The 2003 Aztek Rally Edition is Fusion Orange, and the 2003 30th Anniversary Grand Am comes in it. Will also be available on Sunfire and Vibe in 2004.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Copper Sunburst was cancelled on the CTS a month or two ago, for good.

On the other hand, I think orange or orange-like colors are becoming widespread for newly released cars from just about every automaker. Nissan is making it on several cars and also offers orange interiors, Pontiac is adding it to several cars, Chevy has had it available on the Avalanche since introduction and it is now being replaced by a brighter orange, etc., etc.

I'm a real orange fan myself, and always say I'd love to buy a new orange or yellow car, but I think pure black is still my first choice when it comes to any car. I'm a detailer part-time, and there's nothing better than a shimmering, swirl and mark free black car! It just looks better than every color out there when kept properly (when not, it can look bad...).

I'm also a big fan of the new GP and just read a very positive review in Road & Track magazine about a Comp-G model--now I want one! Can't wait to see one in person and get behind the wheel!
    The copper sunburst was really not orange and I was not a fan of it at all. Local dealer sold the one they had on the lot though. I have not seen a car I like in an orange I like yet. Yellow is better though.
  • gmillegmille Posts: 3
    I just went to the Somerset Pontiac in Troy Michigan and they have a couple of 2004 GTP's with the CompG package. Funny thing was that the wheels on the car are not the 10-spoke machined finish wheels. Instead they were the GTP wheels with the chrome option. I questioned the dealer about this since many of us have been talking on this board about swapping wheels and he told me the following:

The plant that manufactures the 10-spoke wheels burnt to the ground. A few dealers have gotten the CompG package with the intended 10-spoke wheels but now they have scrambled and are just using the standard GTP wheels until another supplier can be set up. On top of that they are charging customers for the chrome wheels ($595) even though customers are already paying a portion of the CompG option package for upgraded lightweight wheels. That is wrong in my opinion! They should not be charging more for this problem. While I like the chrome wheels better, I also liked the fact that the CompG wheels are lighter and fit with the rest of the CompG handling enhancements. What do you think about that??????

Greg
    I have no idea about that story from your dealer, but if you look up any option list on the new 2004 GTP, the chrome wheels just appear as a normal option even for models with the Comp-G package. That, and just about every new GTP Comp-G window sticker I've seen on the net has listed the chrome wheels as an option, so maybe the story about the regular wheels being in very low supply might be true.

I've seen the "normal" Comp-G wheels and the base steel ones with hubcaps, but are there pics on the net anywhere of the other wheels? I'd like to see what they look like.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    There are no order restrictions on wheels. A dealer could order a Comp-G today with 10 spokes.
    GTP is standard with 17" wheels and the Chrome is a $595 upgrade, so I see nothing abnormal with them being a $595 upgrade over the Comp-G 17" wheels. I would speculate it is just dealers running up the price by ordering all the options on the Comp-Gs.
    Here's 2 new ones on a dealer lot in VA:
    Silver GT:
    http://www.starcars.com/Pontiac/4P100_1.html

Black GTP Comp-G:
    http://www.starcars.com/Pontiac/4P101_1.html

Wow!! That black one is goreous outside, but the interior is even better! It can't be a Pontiac--I hope this is just the start for GM interiors!
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    The "comp G" model is pretty sharp, I like those red brake calipers. Anyone know how close to invoice the GMS price on the new GPs is?

Copper Sunburst- The first Cadillac CTS I test drove nearly a year ago was this color. At the time, the dealer actually had two in this color in stock and while they didn't last long, they have never had anymore in that color in. I kind of liked the color, although for a long term purchase I think I would go with something more conservative. However, during the test drive we got ALOT of looks and double takes. I'm not sure if it was the car or the attractive female sales rep that was in the car with me but the car certainly did turn some heads in that color.
  • gmille2gmille2 Posts: 1
    If they fail to include the CompG wheels with the package then their should be a deduction in the price for that package. If you look at what the CompG package includes you will clearly see that a portion of the package is to cover the lightweight 10-spoke wheels. That is the whole idea behind the enhancements offered with that package. That being said, if the dealer now swaps wheels to a GTP with chrome than now you are being double charged for wheels (once in the package and then for the chrome). I could accept it if a dealer had the option to order a chrome finish on the CompG wheels but that is not an option.
    "That being said, if the dealer now swaps wheels to a GTP with chrome than now you are being double charged for wheels (once in the package and then for the chrome)."

-But it's an option to do so from the factory and a lot of dealers seem to be ordering them that way in the first place. Something about this whole "factory burnt to the ground" sounds fishy. It's very possible, but I don't know...
  • richm4richm4 Posts: 169
    For a GTP that listed at 29,640, the GMS price was 26,163 which is probably about $500 below invoice. The bad news is you have to order it since they can get near list for all the new GPs in stock.

By the way, I tried to get Comp-G wheels, which I love, without the Comp-G package, which I don't love the jarring ride, and the dealer said no dice.
    Black Comp-G is sweet. That's the nicest one I've seen thus far, the wheels look supurb. 2 GTs at the local lot this morning on the way to work, both had sold signs. They may have been pre-ordered.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I tested a black GT with leather yesterday when I had my Yukon in for an oil change. Whoo ahh! What a nice car. The improvements over the last GP are noticeable everywhere in a big way. The interior is real nice for a mid-size sedan and the power/handling equation is about as good as anything out there. I may have to look at a GT soon as the gas for the Yukon is killing me, especially since we have 2 SUVs and could probably do with just one. I would like to test a V6 Accord also as I have heard they are nice. They didn't have a GTP in so I would also like to see if it's worth upgrading to the super charged.
    The 2 04 GPs the local dealer had are gone. Nothing left on the lot this evening. They must have both been sold.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    Took a 15 minute drive in a GTP CompG (with exactly the options that I would order, except color!) at lunch today. My impressions:

Ride? Firm, but acceptable, all in all. Information I have indicates that the difference between the GTP and the CompG suspension-wise is only ‘firmer bushings and spring rates’. Meaning not also dampers / shock absorbers. The replacement of shocks (for those who don’t happen to know) with struts, is typically more expensive than replacing bushings. I found the isolation of short sharp bumps or broken pavement to be quite reasonable, esp. given the V rated 55 series tires.

Acceleration? Pretty much as I expected, having owned a ’97 GTP.

NVH? This appears to be a solid, well bolted (welded, bonded, glued) together vehicle. Pontiac seems to have done both a good job at design avoiding areas where various interior components might rub or squeak (for instance) and assembly. Structure appears v. good. The exhaust note is noticeable, but not objectionable.

There was absolutely NO noticeable torque steer! And I was looking carefully for this. Driving only the front wheels with torque over 250 tends to be a challenge. Well done, Pontiac!

Steering at all speeds (well, I did not have the opportunity to exceed about 75) seemed well weighted and accurate.

Smoothness? Power delivery is excellent and TQ is available at any RPM. The drivetrain is well sorted. The TAPshift feature added to the MX0 trans. is well executed. Though I noticed no ‘throttle blip’ on downshifts, they were still well handled with minimal surge / buck. The upshifts were quick and well managed. Since both my current and prior vehicles had a ‘man-u-matic’ feature, I am used to the concept. What I found WOULD (for me) likely require some time to adapt to is the paddle shift mechanisms. The certainly work as advertised, but I am used to reaching down with my right hand to slap the console mounted shift lever forward or back to shift manually that I was not immediately comfortable with the paddles. And in sharp turns, where the paddles are substantially ‘out of position’, I found it a bit un-intuitive to have to seek the current (sometimes moving) paddle positions to shift. Sometimes it is just not practical to maintain hand positions at 10 and 2.

I do like the enhanced DIC and HUD. And the level of interior trim, quality, fit and finish seem appropriate for a car in this proce range.

Driving position? I was a bit surprised that w/moonroof I needed to adopt rather more of a ‘laid back’ driving position to clear the headliner . . .

RPM at 60 approx. 1800 / 1850.

I happen to like to 10 spoke wheels – and the red brake calipers.

I really would like GM to increase the GP warrantee beyond 36 / 36. And a DVD based NAV system. But I digress . . .

All is all, the GP GTP w/CompG stays on my short list. . .

Cheers,
    - Ray

Just my $.01.5 worth – adjusted for current economic conditions.
    Here’s several new 2004 GP’s on three dealer lots, showing different option and color combinations:

Polo Green GT2:
    http://www.woodbridgepontiac.com/Pontiac/24004.html

White GT2:
    http://www.woodbridgepontiac.com/Pontiac/24001.html

Silver GT2:
    http://www.driveultimate.com/Pontiac/4476_1.html

Silver GT1:
    http://www.driveultimate.com/Pontiac/4484_1.html

Black GT2:
    http://www.driveultimate.com/Pontiac/4493_1.html

Polo Green GT2:
    http://www.driveultimate.com/Pontiac/4495_1.html

Sport Red GT1:
    http://www.nncp.com/Pontiac/N14103.html

White GT1:
    http://www.nncp.com/Pontiac/N14101.html

The black GT2 has the Parchment & Pewter cloth interior, and it looks quite nice and comfortable (I’m not a big fan of leather). I think I’d get either a fully loaded black on parchment GT2 or a fully loaded black on parchment GTP Comp-G, both with cloth. Think the GTP Comp-G would be the winner...
  • mike935mike935 Posts: 10
    does anyone have a gtp or any more pictures of any of the new grand prix's?
    LOVE the red one.