Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    The 10 spoke look the best. I have seen them all the rims and they rule. I think they are only available on the GTP, but I may be wrong.

Dual zone would be nice (I have it on the Intrigue), but I can live with out it if I ever get a GP.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    What's that dial behind the shifter?

TIA
  • fred707fred707 Posts: 27
    The deal behind the shifter is a TC button. That is a switch that allows you to Turn on/off traction control. The knob to the right is the HUD options and controls.
    You'll need that button if you ever get stuck in snow. I had to show the lady across the street that it had to be turned off when stuck. She was amazed I was able to help her with the push of a button.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    I had to turn the TC off on my Intrigue when in snow last winter. Generally TC works great but the trouble I encountered was with the wheels sliiping alot it was applying the brakes to the point there were getting hot and the heated wheels would melt the snow on contact and just make it a slushy. Turned the TC off and let the wheels cool a bit and tried the slope again and made it up by controlling wheelspin the old fashion way. Don't get me wrong, TC is great and I wouldn't have a car without it, but there are times that you may need to turn it off.
    Absolutely. You only need to turn off if you get stuck, no other reason.

I would also NEVER buy a car without TC and ABS.
    Living in the sun-belt, I don't drive on snow very often. But when we went skiing in NM, I got stuck and just gently rocked the car back and forth and until it was unstuck. Because of the gentleness, the TC never kicked in or had to be turned off.

Or did I miss anything?

TIA
    You either weren't that stuck or your traction control wasn't very sensitive. The girl I helped out was stick in a foot of compact icy snow
    As I said, the tires never spun, but it was only a few inches of snow.

Then again, who am I to argue about snow with someone from the Great White North? :-)
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    Went to the local Pontiac shop and managed to negotiate $1500 off a 04 GT-2. Anyone know if more could be had?? Seems to me I should be able to do a little better.
  • Just got back from the dealer. I had already resigned myself to ordering the car either way, and SIAB had just become available! Now we get to be the guinea pigs! Actually, I do feel better having them; even if there's a problem and they have to be recalled, at least they're there and fixed. Just hope they don't pop open inadvertantly!
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    Pontiac still says late May before they accept dealer orders for production scheduling. This was verified this morning on something the dealers see on a web site called voms (?) constraints.
  • Hmmm, the dealer said he could place the order on Tuesday. I guess we'll find out then!
    I think the dealer is telling you he can put the order in the pool, and Pontiac is saying they wouldn't start pulling orders from the pool until late May. Either way it's an option, I believe, that is worth waiting for. That is what is holding my brother up. (Although I am told there is a great dinner table discussion between he and his wife over which wheels to get.) The actual value is in debate. The director of the NHTSA said that if "all" cars where equiped with SIAB, it could save 600 lives per year (out of 43,000 deaths). The majority coming from the unbelted and rollover ejections.
  • Thanks for the clarification. At least the order can be placed, which wasn't the case in past weeks. I guess that means the car probably won't be arriving until late June/early July instead of early-to-mid June then. Oh well.

I hear you on the debatable value. One website I saw did some real-world research and found virtually no difference as far as survival rates of those with SIAB, except for ejections in rollovers, like you said. It's still better to have them than not; I was just concerned how there seemed to be no indication of when they might be available. At least late May is a tangible target - hopefully one "hit" by Pontiac.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,542
    Saw my first '04 GPs in the flesh today. Nice-looking body but the interior... ugh! I looked at a couple of GT1 models with the cloth upholstery... it might be some of the ugliest cloth I've ever seen in a car. That alone would make me walk away. I looked at a GTP with leather, which was far nicer of course, but it had another problem that is shared across the line: the cheap-looking shiny hard plastic that makes up the center stack. Unbelieveable. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I am. It seems GM just can't help shooting themselves in the foot. Another potential GM buy crossed off the list.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

While I agree some of the patterns I've seen on the seats are so so, the center stack and dash are very decent quality. Did you actually sit in the car and touch?
    Look at the cloth in the Sunfire and the Aztek. Then look at the Grand Prix.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,896
    I did this test some time ago when I owned my GTP. I was looking at an Acura TL at the time and comparing it to the GTP.

I removed the buttons on the TL's dash and on the GTPs dash. The quality, thickness, weight, etc were more or less about the same on both cars regarding their "plastic bits". While the textures were different, there was no difference in the quality of the plastic used on the dashes.

I can understand if you don't like the textures on the controls, but there isn't any difference in the quality compared to an Acura, for example.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    A good share of the 04 GP interior is still riddled with cheap plastic. The center stack, radio, climate controls.....not up to par.