Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I still like it on the GT models. It looks good and the plastics are nicely matted. It all feels good too, maybe not top shelf, but certainly not as cheap as some are making it out to be.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    The difference between a GT2 and GTP is only $1,505 ($1,375 if factor in the GTPs standard driver's lumbar support), the remaining difference is the GTP's standard OnStar which every car should have.

If a 1997 GTP was $25K with no rebates, and a 2004 GTP Comp G with rebate is $29K, that is less the a 2% increase per year. And that excludes the value of the improved / new features on the 2004. Wish my cable, electric, heat, insurance, real estate tax went up less the 2% per year or had improved features.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    "For the record, I always try to buy domestic, and still do feel a bit guilty for buying Japanese"

not sure why,

a) you should get the car that best suits your needs for the money REGARDLESS of the 'nameplate'

b) domestic or import is all smoke and mirrors today anyways. Many domestics are made all over in Mexico and other places, the new chevy equinox will have chinese motah! Meanwhile, Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords build near a million in the US each year. There are just as many if not more jobs created for US citizens building and selling Camrys as their are selling Centurys. The profits go to shareholders, not countries. Shareholders are from many different countries.
  • tek3tek3 Posts: 20
    Final assembly is such a minor portion of what goes into producing a car. Don't forget the R&D, engineering, planning, administration, etc. that go into it. Not all profits go to the shareholders either, they also get plowed back into the company for R&D, etc.
    Shareholders only get dividends. GM pays $2.00 per share in dividends on their regular 1 2/3rds par value stock, regardless of profits. Profits go to companies. Where the company is headquartered has implications on where any profits are taxed, and invested.

0.4% of the US population's health care costs were paid for by GM last year. The production of Camrys vs Centurys may equal, but with 2.5 retirees for each active worker at GM, the impact is much greater.

Agree wholeheartedly, buy the car/deal/dealer that feels best to you.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    To me it doesn't matter. I mean American Fortune 500 companies move more jobs overseas each year. Gm has rebadged Toyota's in the past. Mazda and Ford do parts sharing and so do Chrysler and Mitsu. It might have mattered in the 80's but with Chrysler merging with Mercedes and American Jobs moving overseas the lines are blurred to me.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    The first time I saw a 95 Aurora(way back in early 94) I thought it looked like space ship both inside and out. In fact, when my father had one I often referred to it as "the ship". To me that was not a bad thing as the cockpit-like interior made driving the car feel like you were piloting something much smaller.
  • garywgaryw Posts: 116
    I am in Portland, anyone in the Washington/Idaho area seeing killer clearance deals being advertised on the remaining 2003 GP's.

If so please let me know who....
  • I love the cockpit theme in my car's interiors. That is why I can't buy a CamAccord. The interior is so bland and basic it makes me cringe.

I want to drive a car, not an appliance.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,143
    Dindak, go sit in an '04 GP. Tap that black plastic console material with you knuckles. Look at the black plastic surrounding the dash center stack (if it's a bright day better wear your sunglasses to cut the shine). See if the example you sit in has a rainbow sheen on that center surround reminiscent of gasoline on water like the one I sat in did. Revel in the look of the Uglycloth (TM Regd.) seats.

It's not as cheap as it's been made out to be... in reality, it's even cheaper.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• "It's not as cheap as it's been made out to be... in reality, it's even cheaper."

Oh my gosh - I better call my dealer and cancel my new GP order! Tonight I'll run down to buy a CamAccord because they have perfect interiors!
  • jmr001jmr001 Posts: 6
    "Dindak, go sit in an '04 GP. Tap that black plastic console material with you knuckles. Look at the black plastic surrounding the dash center stack (if it's a bright day better wear your sunglasses to cut the shine). See if the example you sit in has a rainbow sheen on that center surround reminiscent of gasoline on water like the one I sat in did. Revel in the look of the Uglycloth (TM Regd.) seats"

I have a 2004 GTP with leather. I like the interior. Granted, it's not the best in the world, but to me it looks nice, and that's all that counts. No rattles, nothing is loose, everything fits good. I live in Florida and have never have a problem with the glare or seen the 'rainbow sheen' on the center stack. The front bucket seats are very comfortable. They have done a good job of making the cabin more quiet. The ride is good considering I have the 17 in tires.

All in all, I like what I got, and look forward to driving it every day. It's almost a pleasure to come to work every day.
  • You better be careful - they'll throw you off the board for making nice comments about the 04GP! ;)

I echo your evaluation of the cabin. Very good and comfy - but not perfect. And it is a pleasure to get to work - it just sucks once you actually get there!
  • bobbyz34bobbyz34 Posts: 10
    For the most part I like the cockpit design, the position of all of the controls and the seat comfort. I like the multi tone interiors, getting away from being awash in beige or charcoal, or worse, burgandy or blue.

I just wish they would change the surface finish of those pieces of hard black stippled plastic on the dash and the small pieces on the doors as well as the airbag cover. The rest of the dash material is very nice.

Maybe someone will make aftermarket replacements for those, heck maybe even GM will make those changes for 2005 that can be fit into a 2004.

Even with my small gripes I still plan on buying one in the very near future.
    My only problem with the new GP interior is the cheap looking cloth seats and the lack of upscale features such as automatic climate control and auto dimming rearview mirror. I've sat in an 04 GP a couple of times and the quality of the dash materials is far superior to the previous models.
  • jauto98jauto98 Posts: 77
    Hi all, been reading this board for some time. Finally was able to drive the 04 grand prix during the 24-hr test drive. Was a GT2 in Fusion Orange (got a lot of talk when driving around and at the gas station). Overall, I was impressed with the GP in terms of driving dynamics. Acceleration was smooth and plentiful, brakes were adequate and was a very stable and controlled drive. At one point I had to do an evasive maneuver to avoid hitting a tire stripe ("alligator") and switched lanes going 70. As for the interior, I was thoroughly impressed with the quality and the gap thickness of the dash. Although there was some hard plastic inside with a design texture that reminds me of styrofoam.

Some of the gripes I have with the GP was the seat comfort, or lack of. Front seat cushion seems a little long for my taste and the back seat was no better in terms of comfort. Your feet won't even go under the front seat and the cushions was very flat. Also, rear visibility was poor IMO as it was difficult to judge where the rear end was when backing up.

All in all, it’s a car I will be considering in the near future. Probably consider a GT2 with the InfoTech Package and head curtain side airbags in either graystone or polo green. Sorry for being so long.
    Nothing wrong with multitone interiors if done right. Unfortunately Uglycloth (TM Regd.) is not the way to do it.

What's wrong with burgundy or especially blue interiors? I would kill for a blue interior in a new car these days. Gray just looks too much like a prison cell and doesn't go with many shades of blue paint very well.

As far as multi-tone interiors, I was referring to how the dash can be the dark gray and the actual IP surround and center console, etc is black. And in the beige interior the dash is still black as well as the carpeting, beige flooring gets dirty easily.

I had a burgandy 85 Pontiac 6000 and everything inside was burgandy. Then a blue 89 6000 and everything inside was blue. I just don't think when the outside matches the inside color, except black, it looks good. I just prefer the beige, gray, or black interiors. Those colors go with any exterior colors and the latter 2 are easiest to keep looking clean.
  • One thing I can't figure out is why I couldn't get the natural beige interior with the fusion orange exterior color....
    Beige or gray doesn't go with any color though, that's the problem. There are certain shades of blue or green or teal that none of them go with. One of the reasons I dislike silver cars these days is that they all come with the same interior, usually gray, which I hate in an interior. In the past silver could be paired with black, white, blue, red, all sorts of interior shades. Not now. Same with the inexplicably popular champagne or sandstone color - beige only unless the manufacturer is really cheap and only offers a gray interior, in which case it doesn't go together at all. We need more interior color choices, not less.

• richm4richm4 Posts: 169
    I think the last generation GP had one of the worst interior color combinations around. For example, the beige interior had the grey steering wheel and knobs. Just awful in my opinion! That's one reason I stuck with all grey.
    I'm with you on more interior color choices. Beige and dark and light grey seem to pretty much be it today. My old 89 Olds Touring Sedan was dark blue and had a navy blue leather interior with real wood trim(thats right, an Olds before the Aurora actually had real wood trim) and it looked very classy inside. And yes, a burgandy interior goes well with some colors also. I for one think that a luxury sedan like a Cadillac or Lincoln looks snazzy in black with a burgandy interior:)
    This question might have come up before but I can't find it.

I am trying to decide between the GT2 and GTP and I just wanted to get some ride quality feedback from others. I have my test drive tonight of both.

From the documentation it seems that the suspension is EXACTLY the same on the GT2 and the GTP (non-CompG). The only difference would be in the larger wheels and their effect.

Is the ride the same on those 2 versions of the 2004?
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Reviews seem to consistently indicate the GTP is the "just right" suspension, with the Comp-G being a bit too stiff and the GT/GT2 being too soft.
  • richm4richm4 Posts: 169
    IMO, the GTP is much harsher than the GT2. I test drove a GT2 right after the debut and then had the dealer locate a GTP for me to buy since they had no GTP's without the comp-G available. I thought that the ride was exactly the same (thanks to the erroneous magazine articles). Plus I purposely didn't buy the comp-G because the magazine's were saying how harsh it was. They also said that the GT1 was the softest and that the GT2 and GTP were similar.

Perhaps it's the different tires, but the GTP ride is much harsher than the GT2. My car had 40 PSI in the tires when I drove it off the lot, which didn't help. I subsequently lowered it to 30, but the first impressions were lasting. What bothers me the most is that I can hear every little "thump" when going over seems in the pavement.

• orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    Just got my "voluntary customer satisfaction program" letter (i.e. recall) for my 2003 GT.
    GM is offering to replace the throttle body fasteners and run cooling system sealant through the system....through July 31, 2005 on 2000-2003 GPs and Bonnies w/3.8L series II(L36) motor.
    They also included a letter-claims form to those who had to pay to fix this problem - it is a reimbursement program.
    I recall a number of posting about this subject;
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    don't see why, according to some folks (you know who you are) on these forums, there is not a problem with the manifold issue.

However, this recall from is pretty much an admission that it is a problem and not just here and there.
    Yes I was happy to see GM admit that there was no manifold problem and the issue was gasket related. This program is a follow up to a TSB on the gasket leaks which specifically tells techs not to replace the manifold. Good we can end the speculation, now that it is in writing.
    What exactly is the problem on 3400 V6s that causes the coolant leak. A co-worker of mine has a 99 Grand AM GT that she absolutely loves, but she says her low coolant light has been coming on. I've added coolant to it twice for her, but after a couple of months, it's low again. She says that she does not see anything leaking onto the garage floor. Is this the same problem that affects 3800s?
  • fantascpfantascp Posts: 175
    I also got the letter for fastner repairs this past Tuesday for my wife's 2003 GT- already called the dealership-car will be fixed this Tues-7/29/03.
    Also having routine maintenance done- oil,filter and rotate tires.
    Curious to see exactly what parts are being replaced.

I know I have not posted here since around Nov/Dec 2002- my last post was about the problem with the trans(with less than 2000 miles on the car!) and the side molding coming off the lower section of the right rear door- just like to say that since then, the car has performed with no further problems(which is what it should have been doing from day one)and now has around 8200 miles on it.
    However,I still prefer the ride and handling of my
    98 Bonneville SSE better than this 03 Grand Prix GT

Chuck.
This discussion has been closed.