Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    I wouldn't try to get a repair in the intake and throttle body areas with a K&N filter on...
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    there are two kinds of K&N filters - drop-in that go into the air box and cone type that replace the airbox.

You will see improvement in power with a cone filter because there is no restrictive airbox around it.

With a drop-in, you are still limited to the size of the airbox's intake.

About shifting the power curve - I don't think it shifts. I think the car keeps on breathing well at low RPMs and breaths better at high RPMs. I think this just helps keep the power curve straight at the high RPMs instead of eventually dropping off.
    Thanks for the clarification about the types available.

However, if the cone-type results in a shorter total length of the path that the air goes through (as I believe it does), it'll change the induction tuning of the intake manifold favoring higher RPM at the cost of the breathing efficiency at lower RPM, thereby reducing the low-end torque.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Saw in the paper they are offering C$2000 cash back or 2.9% financing on the 04 up here. First incentives I've seen.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    I've got a K&N sticker(came with the filter) on the airbox of my Intrigue and as many times as it has been in for service, I'm sure it has been seen. Major mods may void the warranty, but simply using a K&N filter will not.
  • #noname#noname Posts: 58
    I concur - I had a K&N on the previous car and never had any warranty problems and had it serviced many times at the dealer.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    there is a something-Magnuson act. It is a law that states that intake mods like air filters cannot void warranty.
    This act seems to apply only to that type of K&N filter that doesn't require changing the air-box though.
  • kendridkendrid Posts: 97
    I have a 99 GT that has run flawlessly for 85,000 miles.

In the last three months, about once a month when I start the car it will shake. If I give it a little gas the car will stop shaking and then run fine. This happens when the engine is cold and also after it has been driven.

Last week when I started it up it shook so bad I shut it off after about 3 seconds. After turning it back on it was fine.

Any ideas as to what this might be? I am obviously out of warranty and unfortunatley I do not have a dealer I trust.

As a side note: I used to drive a 99 Intrigue w/ 3.8 (the 99GP was my wifes car...she now has a 03 Envoy XL SLT). My Intrigue did the 'shake' three or four times in the last year I owned it. Seems like it might be something others have run into with the 3.8 Series II.
  • fred707fred707 Posts: 27
    Well My first mission issue with the 04' gtp and it's a couple of Big ones.

1) When listening to FM or AM bad while using rear window defogger, Unit gets interference from unit.

2) AC condensation not draining out like it is supposed to. So car gets stinky.
  • fkoehlerfkoehler Posts: 15
    Hi All,

I am averaging about 20 MPG in my 2000 GT w/65K.
    It seems to run pretty well. I noticed lower MPG a couple of years ago when they went to MTBE all year round here in Northern CA. I know that will cause some loss, but am doubting its more than the average 5% I heard attrbuted.

I do drive moderately fast, however I also drive from Oakland to South San Francisco daily (25m each way), and am off commute which means I am not sitting in bumper-bumper traffic and usually make the trip in about 25-30 minutes.

I ask because I ran across this gov site which seems to imply 29 MPG for freeway for the 2000 GT....

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/15949.shtml

Is this site just printing what car companies want them too?

I remember a number of years ago when my dad moved from a 6 cyl. car to an '88 Lincoln TC w/V8 and was getting almost 32 on the highway. He was a good mechanic and didn't BS people, so I'm debating an upgrade.
    I know its insane, however I am thinking of moving up to a Lincoln Mark VIII or so.

Whats everyone else getting for MPG?

Thanks.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    My 98 GTP with the supercharger REGULARLY got more than 30 MPG on the highway (of course, the supercharger required premium).

EPA figures are honest, but do not indicate what mileage YOU may get. They are useful for comparison purposes.

If you think you are going to get better mileage from a big Ford V-8 in a big, heavy and sturdy body on frame car, you are in for some severe disappointment.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    Sounds like the K&N is far from a sure thing in terms of mileage and power. Perhaps I will just stick with what I have, I don't want to void any warranties.

Fred, No A/C issues with my 04. What kind of smell are you getting?

I noticed there is now some incentives on the 04 Grand Prix. Big full page ads in the weekend paper.
    John,

I am thinking the following:

The Mark VIII is only #300 heavier and has a twin-cam, all-aluminum 4.6-liter V8 280HP/285ftlb.

I would suspect the Mk8 is able to kick around a similarly sized auto a bit better than the GT which has a much smaller engine and hp/ft# rating.

I'm thinking, if I can only expect to get 20MPG, why not do it with a Luxury class car, with the extra ponies available? Also, a number of people on epinions and other sites seem to honestly assess the car as getting 23-25MPG freeway.
    We are in the process of buying a house now, so I will be waiting a little bit before doing anything. However, I can probably get some test pilot time in at the local dealers :)

Will reply back with an update.

GT
    http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 20876.htm

Mk8
    http://216.239.33.104/search?q=cache:__Y4HVrApREJ:auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2058.htm+1995+mark+viii+lincoln+weight&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    fkoehler I used to get about 1-2 mpg drop running the 10% ethanol they make us run Oct-March here in my 2000 GTP. I would get 21-23 in mixed driving but still got around 30mpg hwy even in the winter. I haven't run any of the ethanol mix in my 2003 GT lately, but getting 23-25mpg on regular(70% hwy/30% city).

2004 Incentives - local dealers offering $1500 GM rebate, $1000 loyalty rebate and $1500 - $2000 additional discounts.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    My father used to have an Aurora(first generation) and those cars weighed about 4000 lbs and had a 32 valve V8. Around town, the mileage wasn't so good, but on the freeway it could average as high as 27 mpg or so. And this was with 4 people on board, A/C on, and trunk full of luggage.
    Thanks guys.
    I think what this points out is that going witha V8 is not always a bad thing. In my case though, it could be engine related since about 80% of my driving is freeway. I admit to cruising at about 75 average, however even with that I don't think I should be getting 20 MPG. And, I do think I noticed an initial drop when they went to MTBE year round, however I was still getting 22-23 I think. Used to get about 320 miles to the tank in the winter. Now I getting about 300 when the tank is about bone dry.

Guess its off to my favorite mechanic for a full check up. Good thing I got one of the better extended warranties.
  • For my second tank of gas, I have averaged 27 MPG with the GT2 model. It was as high as 32 MPG with 55 mph highway driving, and then reduced to 27 MPG when I had to do a lot of stop and go driving. Thus, the GP is getting 2-3 MPG more than my previous Grand Am. That's amazing when you think about it.
    Sounds great. I wonder if the series III is a touch more efficient than the III?
    I just hope GM doesn't put the Uglycloth in the G6, too. It ran me off from a GP GTP purchase this time round...
  • wpbharrywpbharry Posts: 399
    First, John, what are you currently driving? Profile is blank on the issue.

Secondly, I AGREE with the sentiments re:cloth seats. Las Vegas, anyone? BUT can't believe cloth is even offered on the GTP. Is it really?
    ..a 2000 Impala LS bought new, now with 131,000 virtually trouble free miles. Before that was a 98 GTP I put 77,000 virtually trouble free miles on as well...
    We have a w-body twin, an Intrigue. Two small issues over 3 1/2+ years now.

Given the proven drive train and the high quality plant where it's made, the 04 GP should yield very few issues.
  • wpbharrywpbharry Posts: 399
    Due to the fact that we're mainly in the Malibu Maxx forum, I DO know what you drive, and lost a beat. Sorry.

Here comes an UGH, but I love the orange fusion color on the new GP. VERY distinctive.

Huge rebates already, so maybe next summer, I'll be in one.

Keep posting reactions to the '04, please.
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    For those still waiting/deciding I had the campaign(officially not a recall) work done on my 2003 GP GT today. Only took about an hour and they were real busy. (day before long Holiday weekend.)

Other than a couple of buzzy panels on rough pavement no troubles from the GT and got almost 27mpg on last tank. (about 80% hwy)
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    Just bought a 95 Olds Cutlass Supreme with V-6 3100 engine for my son. I am asking this question here since there is no open Olds forum.

The engine in this car is identical to what GM put in all base W-car V-6 engines in 95-present.

My question is this; While replacing the rear spark plugs, I felt like I disconnected a two prong connector. After I replaced the back row plugs, I went back and checked to see where the connector was supposed to go. I could not find any male two prong area for this connector. I started the engine, and drove it around the block, and none of the lights came on, and the alternator was operating fine.

Does anyone know anything about this connector? After checking the outside of the connector, I noticed that the area that is supposed to be inserted into receiver had dirt on it, like it was never inserted into anything in the first place Is it possible that that two prong connector is for another engine like the 3.4L?

Also is it normal for the altenator in this engine to get so hot? The heat on alternator body is much greater than the heat off intake mainifold.

I though the wire might have come off the alt. but alt. connectors are in place.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    Where did everyone go?
  • End of Uglycloth(r). Starting this month, the cloth will be mono-tone in appearance. Also more foam in the lower rear seat.
This discussion has been closed.