Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Envoy Denali XL Gas Gauge and Oil Pump Problems

jhiles4jhiles4 Posts: 1
I have a 2006 Envoy Denali XL that has a gas guage that rotates from F to E sometimes but mostly stays on E. My engine light stays on because of my guage problem but now my light is blinking and I think it's because of low oil pressure. I recently had the oil changed but that didn't help with the low oil pressure. When my car is running and sitting in park it shakes and it doesn't seem like it's running at full power. I know I have some repairs but I would like to know a ballpark $ figure for these type of repairs. I've heard that the gas tank will have to be dropped and the sending unit will be replaced and a new oil pump. Can anyone ballpark these type of repairs. I'm currenlty unemployed and on a very strict budget so I would like to have some idea as to cost. Thanks

Comments

• jhiles4,

I am having the about the same problems as you. My electronic fuel gauge as well as the normal one on the dash shows that I have not put any fuel in no matter what the amount may be. My driver side door instrument panel blinks on and off at the most random times. My stabilitrak light has come on before and went off next time I started the truck. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or who to contact.

Thanks,

Matt
  • I too am having the same problems. As for the fuel gauge going up and down the repair shop replaced the level sensor to fix the problem. So far so good, that was done in Aug of 09. With the stabilitrak light I have no idea. Had it into the shop so may time and if it isn't on they can't do anything. One time I thought they fixed it but it still comes on to service. Also just started having problems that only happen intermittently when I slow down to turn the car shakes and I think it can't tell what gear its in. I think something is wrong w/the transmission. Hope this was a little helpful.
  • calahoocalahoo Posts: 5
    The stabilitrak and the gas gauge on our 2007 Envoy XL started about a month after we bought it. It has been to the dealership 3 times. The told us it was the front end and wouldn't even let us drive it becaude it was falling apart. We had only 71,000 kms on it. Finally after 3 1/2 weeks we got it back. And can you believe the stabilitrak light came back on. We were so upset. So my husband took it to a different dealership. They charged us $300 but figured out the Stabilitrak issue is in the steering column and it is a computer module. It costs $1000 cdn to replace. So we are waiting on that. Now the gas guage is starting not to work. We have only had this truck for 6 months. We drove 6000 kms to California and the truck was awesome except for fuel consumption. (Used to a 4 cyl. car) So hopefully this helps with the Stabilitrak issue. When the Stabilitrak light comes on you totally loose your traction control. I almost lost control with my 2 year old in the truck and I am also pregnant. We have lots of snow in the winter where I am from. It was scary.
  • debbie77debbie77 Posts: 2
    My GMC Envoy Denali had the same gas guage proplem that was remedied by replacing the entire fuel pump assembly with the fuel guage float arm. A very small, flexible metal sensor had broken off causing the fuel guage to read "F or E" erratically.

HERE IS A CURRENT PROBLEM that I am experiencing with this vehicle: The rear load leveling shocks will deflate causing the car to "sit on its butt", when parked. This happens intermittently. The occurences are unpredictable and do not seem to be related to any particular weather condition, winter or summer, but, occur only when the car is parked. As soon as the car is started the shocks re-inflate and stay inflated while driving. The dealership kept the car for 3 days without diagnosing the problem. Has anyone else experienced this situation???
  • leob3leob3 Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an anwer to your question, because I have a 2004 Envoy and it does the same thing, it does not drop to the ground every night but about 5 time out the week
  • We took my car to two different dealerships. Both places stated that we needed new shocks installed on the car. Both dealerships verified that they were leaking through the air shock bags. This was surprising as the car has only 50,000 miles on it. We read online that this was a common problem, with the 2006 Envoy, and that the problem was a sensor that needed to be calibrated........ simple fix done at any dealership. Neither dealership that we took the car to, had any idea about a defective or uncalibrated sensor. Consequently, we had new shocks installed and have not had any further problems with the car "sitting on its butt".
  • I have the same issue with my 2005 Envoy XLS. The car died on the highway, just shut down and I had it towed to the dealer. They scoped it and had to replace the fuel pump and sender (total $1600) to fix the problem. :sick:
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• lyndallyndal Posts: 2
    The 2004 envoy should be included for defective fuel gauge also I called the customer service dept. today 10/14/2011, to see if there was a recall for this problem, of course the answer was no. He suggested that I should take the truck to the dealership to have it check. I told him I would, if it wouldn't be a cost ( yeah right). I paid $35,000.00 for a truck, and I couldn't get any satisfaction.
  • Maybe some good new for it all with this issue. I received a letter from GMC About the gas gauge issue at the start of OCT. It talked about the gauge jumping back and forth and the lights going on. GMC offered to a 50/50 spilt on the of the cost. It is for a 10 year/120,000 miles.

I had the sensor repaired last thursday oct 20,2011. But heres the fun part ... Let my daughter use the car to go to visit friends at a college (3 hours away) this weekend. Now, the car is running rough and stalling then shut off. the new light show the engine with a arrow pointing down. This mean the car is moving itself in to low power to save it's self from mass failure.

the first repair costed $164.00 I wonder what this one will cost.
  • :cry: I too bought my Envoy new. I've had all of the same isuues with the rear lights going out, fan issues, gas guage and oil pressure guage. I paid the50/50 split to correct the gas guage. Then the engine light starting staying on. Then I paid the dealer $692 for labor and parts to correct what they called a cooling issue with the enfine and seals to the cam shaft. The next day, the oil guage starting coming on every time I came to a stop, with a message saying oil pressure low & stop engine!! Now the dealer says I need a new engine for $5,200 on an SUV with 125,000. They also appraised it at $4,000 and told me it's not worth spending the money on a new engine, but get a new car! After spending almost $1,000 in one month on repairs & maintence, now they say get a new car! A think a class action suit is needed after spending $35,000 on an SUV that can't last pass 6 years.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057
    julien61,
    I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. Can you please email me your VIN, current mileage, dealer of choice and contact information? I would like to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • i have a 2006 envoy denali with 105000 miles oil pressure just dropped all the way out all the lights came on the dash saying to stop engine so i stopped check oil and oil was fine when i cranked the car back up it has a knock no and the oil press is fine.
  • Last year I finally broke down and paid the $440 to fix my faulty fuel gauge sensor after running out of gas on I-75 at 2 am and having to pay a wrecker to bring me gas. Both of my brother-in-laws were experiencing the same issue and I had read lots of similar complaints on the internet and at the time searched for some sort of recall offer from GM. Nothing formal was out there from GM even though my dealership even told me how common the problem was. So...I spent the money. Now, I get a letter and an offer from GM to pay 50% of the repair. How Disappointing! If GM is willing to pay 50% of the cost then they are saying they are 50% at fault. What's up with that? Am I then 50% at fault because they built a vehicle with a faulty component? Seems very unfair to me.
  • Leigho,

We would like to follow up with you on this, if you are interested. Please email us your contact information (including forum user name), current mileage, and VIN and we’ll investigate further for you.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lydiasolydiaso Posts: 3
    edited November 2011
    I have a 2006 GM Envoy Denali with 86,000 miles on it. The auto started making a knocking noise one day at about 50-60K. GM mechanic said it was the timing chain but keep driving until it got worse. The next time I had it serviced they said I should replace all the belts to resolve the knocking noise, this did not resolve the problem. They then suggested I replace the alternator. Then the gas sensor went out, about a year ago. I couldn't afford the $1000 GM said it would cost, so I estimated my fuel by the odometer. Then the a/c and defrost wouldn't blow. Had the gas sensor and mode door actuator replaced this summer. Within a couple of weeks afterwards, it lost all power while going through a round-a-bout and no shoulder to pull off on. GM mechanic replaced all the plugs and wires, cleaned the injectors, preformed induction system service. Within a week it did it again. This time they said the computer needed resetting. Tonight it lost all power again, the engine light came on, the stabilizer light and another light that looks like check engine. The back lift gates went out this summer as well. Sometimes when sitting in traffic with my foot on the brake, it will lurch so hard I think I've been rear ended, but there are no cars close by. I'm very disappointed in this GM product and when I considered trading it in at the GM dealership who has serviced it from day one, they wouldn't even offer book trade in value. Because they said it had so many problems.
  • Lydiaso,

I’m sorry to hear about the experience you’ve had with your Envoy. If we can be of any assistance (looking into warranty or recall information on your vehicle, assisting in working with a dealership towards resolving this concern), please email us with your name/username, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I purchased my 06 Envoy XL Denali new 12/20/05. As of today, 11/12/11, I have 54,945 original miles on the truck. However, I have and in some case still have the following issues:
    1) Stabilitrack issue 2) Fuel gauge 3) Rear Suspension (both shock absorbers) 4) Radio fades in and out, the finish has peeled of the control buttons 5) Shift cable broke(on a road trip) 6) Water pump leakage 7) Left front window regulator (replaced twice) 8) The steering wheel chrome finish peeling. Please understand, I take good care of the truck with scheduled service maintenances at a local dealership that has really worked with me. So, I have no arguments with them at all. Just got some of the stated work done on 11/11/11 which caused me with some discounts $1,126.13. I am a previous owner of a BMW and after this GMC experience, I'm strongly considering returning. This is crazy. Again, please note I only have 54,945 miles on the vehicle. WOW, I keep asking myself what's next. I agree, GM knew there were issues with this model, but they proceeded to ignore them. Side note, I encouraged a cousin to buy the same model as mine (she bought new), and we both have the same issues almost around the same time.. It's unbelievably.. GM, loyalty and good products go hand in hand.. You missed it with this product.
  • How do I email the information to you?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010
    Click on a member's user name to get their contact info.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.