Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,217
    Usually you can do this yourself but you need to know how. If you can't find directions online, you may have to purcahse the service manual to get the procedure.

If you're on good terms with your dealer (sales or service; service is best), ask them to do it as a favor. Maybe combine it with buying something like an oil change.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    "I just rolled 5000 miles on my 05 galant LS and so far so good. Millage has been 24.5 mpg keeping the car at 65mph. When I push it to 75-80 mph the millage goes to 19-20mpg."

At least you realize that speed equals less economy. It is really, really funny to see guys post on the SUV sites "under problems forum" that their gas mpg was lousy on a recent trip so "something must be wrong". I usually state that high speeds equals less miles and ask them how fast they were going on their recent trip. I usually get no-reply, which is a reply unto itself!
  • emageremager Posts: 2
    My 2003 Galant is stalling. Neither dealership or other mechanics cannot diagnose a problem even when the car stalls in front of them. They checked the connectors, drove it around the neighborhood, run it on a dyno for 40 hours, checked for water in gas tank - nothing... The car keeps stalling. Anybody has an opinion about this; any experience with this kind of problem? Thanks. :cry: :cry:
  • blnewtoblnewto Posts: 146
    Had that problem when we overfilled the gas tank, the sensor got wet and it caused a stall. Other than that I wouldn't know :(
    Are there any codes in the onboard computer? How are the belts/filters/alternator/battery/etc. performing?

Under what conditions does it stall? When cold or warmed up? After driving for awhile or right away? In gear, Park, or both?

Sorry for the many questions, but the answers might help us help you. Good luck!
  • emageremager Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for your reply. The car was running like a dream until we took it to a dealership for a 30K service. It started stalling right after that. May be just a coincidence - rainy weather, etc. It first stalled in the middle of the road, RPMs went very low, every single warning light on dashboard lit and the car just stopped. Dealership checked for everything they could think of checking - codes, sensors, electrical connections, etc. - they could not figure it out. They gave the car back to us saying it was OK. We made is home but stalled the next day. Since we were mad at the dealership we took the car to a Precision Tune shop next door - same story. They worked on a diagnosing the problem for 2 days but at the end we are at the square one. Should I just get rid of the car?
  • anyone get a good deal on factory ex. warranties
    My thoughts, although I'm no mechanic so take them for what they're worth. Something major in the electrical system would be my first choice, but that would tend to produce an error code or at least not be too difficult to reproduce. Second guess would be bad gas/clogged fuel filter. Perhaps some water got in the tank. The case for this would be made stronger if when it stalls the electrical system is still OK--no problems cranking the engine and/or the radio/lights/etc. work fine.
  • dave89dave89 Posts: 2
    Think I have a bad head gasket on my 96 SOHC galant. Does anybody know if you have to remove the engine to take the timing belt off.
  • To purchase the manual online is very expensive and our dealer here wants like $160.00 to do it. We had the actual transmitter tested and fitted for a new battery, and the guy tried to reprogram it and said normally the sensor is in the drivers side door. He tried to reprogram it and it didnt work. I have some collision damage and was hoping the sensor wasnt where my damage is... But thanks for the help.
  • rkondarkonda Posts: 1
    I bought a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant LS one month ago at 7700 miles. For the last 200 miles it has given only 13mpg. In that only 17miles were on the highway. I mostly use it for shopping and such short trips and occasionally longer trips. On average the speed would perhaps be around 40mph. Is there something wrong with it? Shouldn't it do better? Could the a/c costs have some affect on the mpg?
  • jaclazjaclaz Posts: 37
    I have to admit if one drives the V6 40 mph or under the mileage suffers in stop and go driving. If you live in winter cold then the fact of warming up the car before driving also reduces the MPG. BUT the lowest mileage my 2004 LS produced was 18 mpg, stop and go, under 40 mph, long traffic lights. My exuberance for my now 1 year old 2004 LS is still high BUT I do understand your pain.

Are you using premium fuel?

I mix every other 1/2 tank, one premium, one regular, never use the mid-grade as it lowers the octane below appropriate levels for the motor. This will provide negligable savings in the order of $2+ per 1/2 tank fill-up. And at the same time provide optimum fuel economy...

Check your air cleaner. If the car was driven on dirt roads it would be constricted to the max....

It is an '04 so it should have the same FREE maintanence program mine has. Your next free maintance should be 15,000 miles. Which means the dealer would pay for a new cleaner if that were the culprit. Also they could check the fuel system for leaks....

Running the air conditioning should not make that large a dent into your mileage. To see if there's a difference turn it off and see if there's a change in your mileage.

When you find the solution please check back here with the results...

Thanks for posting...

Happy Motoring!
  • mitsomitso Posts: 3
    Hi Folks! 06 Galant is leaking water into the rear passenger side floor, have taken it in twice they can not find the problem. After I mentioned the Lemon Law the third time they sent the Shop Foreman out to my house, he took it in did all the tests, still can not find where the leak is coming from. The service engine light also keeps coming on, they are waiting for Mitsubishi to come up with the correct program, forgot what code it was. Any such problems out there? Thanks
  • Hi All,

I just bought 2002 Galant around 48K miles on it. My other car ( 2002 Dodge Neon ) usually takes 3-4 min to worming up engine in the cold morning. But Galant only needs 1 min, is it usual for Galant or something wrong with engine?

Thanks
  • Enjoy my galant except for a troubling problem with the anti-theft radio. After changing the battery..learned about the code that needs to be entered...now I changed the alternator and guess what? Can't get the radio to come back even after entering the correct code. Can't get the word "code" to come up as instructed by manual. Has anyone suffered this problem and can you help?? Much appreciated. (I did read to leave ignition on ACC for 2-4 to reset..but it didn't work)
  • sky23213sky23213 Posts: 296
    Warming up the engine, or the car all together? Yes, it's very quick, I've heard that this engine runs pretty hot. On my car the T needle moves up within a couple of blocks. And at this point u can blast the heater - the air coming out is pretty warm. If u just let the car warm up in the parking lot, it takes a bit longer of course.
    Don't worry, as long as the T needle is within the limits, enjoy the car!
  • I have 2002 Galant ES, with 43,000 miles on it (drove them all myself). Recently, the heater stopped blowing warm air - nothing but cold air. One repair shop charged me $425, changed a bunch of hoses and the thermostat and informed me that the heater core is the actual problem and will cost an addition $740. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, because I've driven over 90,000 on the Acura (maintenance is current on both cars) and haven't had a problem?
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    Dear dowappy,

This is a classic case of your mechanic not knowing what he is doing. There are ways to test the system before they start a repair. Unless the hoses are broken or clogged, it has very little to do with the heater blowing hot air. I would buy the part myself, and have this guy put it in at no-charge. However, I don't know if I would trust him any further.

Also, no disrespect intended here, but a Galant isn't even close to an Acura. Good luck and let us know what happens!
  • I have a 2001 Mitsibishi Galant; The battery was changed in my car recently and when they changed it, it knocked the radio off. I have the code # for it but when I turn the radio on, it says "OFF". I hav tried every button on the panel and nothing is making it say "CODE" for me to put in my code number. How do I get the radio to allow me to put my code number in? I would appreciate any help someone could give me. The car did not come with an owner's manual to help me solve this problem. Thanks. :confuse:
  • sky23213sky23213 Posts: 296
    Here's what the manual says, I hope this helps.
    1. Return the power supply to the normal condition.
    2. Place the ignition key in the "ACC" position
    3. Pres the VOL button and "CODE" will be shown on the display.
    4. Press the NO.1 through NO.4 memory select buttons to set the 4-digit code indicated on the card. Every time each digit key is pressed the figure will change as follows:
    0 - 1 - 2...9 - 0
    5. Press the CD button and a beep will be heard. The audio is now in operating mode.
    6. If the security codes do not match a "1Err" message is shown on the display. In a few seconds it will change to "CODE". Repeat steps 4 and 5.

Now here is the part you might not like...

NOTE:
    1. If a mistake is made during input, the anti-theft system will allow up to three attempts to enter the correct code.
    2. The second error is displayed as "2Err". When the third error is made, "3Err" is displayed and then the display changes to "OFF". If this should occur, the unit will not operate. Contact an authorized Mitsubishi dealer for assistance.
    I hope you just did not push the right key sequence, or have the ignition key in ACC, that's why the OFF message, and you'll be able to do it now. Otherwise, good luck.
    If it is any help here's also the toll free for Mitsi USA:1-888-648-7820.