Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• blf2blf2 Posts: 38
    Thanx vac for the crack observation, looking more closely it appears to be part of the mold for the panel, nice to know I'm not the only one though.
    Osteoman, as far as pricing goes, My post #169, and fellow GTZ owners posts at 187 &188 will tell you our prices. We all paid over invoice, and since they were GTZ's they wont deal as much due to their limited numbers. I got mine for about$1000 under MSRP but I also got 100% financed at 1.9%-I think I got a darn good deal. Since yours is a 2001 and an LS(still fairly rare)
    they probably wont offer the low rate financing or any rebate, but should be able to get the price right between invoice and MSRP, I'm guessing about $1500 off the sticker. Since the model is one of the first of the 2001's you might not find such a great deal. You'd be better off IMO, to try and locate a 2000 LS and take advantage of year-end deals or look it up at www.carmax.com I've heard good things about them from other posters on this page. Good luck, the LS is a great package, hope you get a nice deal to boot!
  • ultratechultratech Posts: 117
    For info on stuff to midify, check yahoo's galant club, they have tons of stuff there ..
    About Price, it's usually hard to negotite on very new models, like the 2001 at this time of the year .. and specially the LS, since it's the higher model ... check carsdirect.com just for comparison.

Its funny how you said 2-4 % is best in line to me... if you ask me, 50% below invoice would be the best for me LOL !! :-)
  • steve109steve109 Posts: 13
    This may be an isolated incident, but before I go on any roadtrips, I always look around under the hood to check oil, antifreeze, etc., and I found that the cap to the brake fluid resevoir had somehow become loose and splashed brake fluid around. Who knows. Could have been vibration. I have a '00 ES 4cyl. with 12K miles. Might want to give it a twist to make sure it's on tight.
  • upsman1upsman1 Posts: 2
    Owner of a 2000 es v6 with about 6000 miles, problem free till about 6 weeks ago, my abs light went on, it would go on and off for about a week, the brakes still worked fine except for the anti lock, didn't think this was a major problem and it wasn't except for the mechanic at the dealer. After waiting for 5 hrs he comes back to me and tells me my abs sensor needs to be replaced but it is not in stock, so I reschedule for the following week. When I return to the dealer the following week they get right to work and get done in a record 2 1/2 hrs! It's early so I decide to head for the beach in my new car with a new abs sensor and a big smile on my face. So I get to my third stop light and you guessed it, the abs light comes back on :( so I go back and they tell me it might be electrical and they won't guarantee it will get done that day (they have to check all the wires...yikes) so I reschedule for the following week. So I bring it back, this time I leave it, 6pm rolls around, I call the service department and they are closed! Not even a phone call to let me know how my baby is doing(no respect). Next morning I call and give them and earfull, they feel they haven't done anything wrong to this point! Finally... I call back at 5 and it's done so I go to pick it up, I inspect the exterior before i get in, I notice my hood is not level with the side fender ( now I'm really pissed). I decide to pop open the hood before I set this place on fire, and what do I find...the mechanic's tools are still in the engine compartment! ( ALL DEALERS SUCK!! ) I don't want to mention names but this one was in Jersey City? Anyway, when I closed the hood everything was level so I didn't make a big stink about it and besides I'm really enjoying this extendable mirror scope amajig. Oh, the anti lock light has not come on again(had to resecure a connector at A22.. whatever that means) and they work!
    Other then that, car is alot of fun and remember all you complaining people with an ES V6 you probably paid less then 20k that is a steal!
    I'm sorry your aloud to complain.
    bye
  • cgacga Posts: 23
    "1st problem (upsman1)" --

I have a 2000 V4 Galant with about 5,100 miles (bought new) and sympathize with your dealer problem. While I have not had the dealership actually work on my car, they steadfastly refuse to acknowledge the existence of a hestitation (at around 30mph, under light throttle) which should be noticeable as abnormal to any journeyman mechanic. And I've heard that Mits. dealers do not normally stock a large supply of parts and often must order what they need, which often puts a hardship on owners.

My one and only (not so) "local" dealer is closed on Saturdays, closes early M-F, and always seems to have only one mechanic on duty, who is of course perpetually busy and unapproachable.

I like my Galant and would recommend one. But before considering a purchase, I would advise any potential buyers to spend a couple of hours in the service waiting room and judge for yourself. Ask the owners how they've been treated. From my point of view one of the main reasons for buying new is the warranty, but this is only as good as the company behind it. A one year old used Galant at a suitably used (as cheap as possible) price (deprecation is stiff, for some reason, on these) seems the best way to go.

Merely my two cents worth....
  • I have a 1 mo. old 2000 Galant ES. When the windows are down, the noise from the exhaust seems unreasonably loud. It has a high pitch sputtering, much like a 63 VW beetle. I brought this to the attention of my dealer,(while they were repairing damage done to the bumper at their dealership) and he said it is "inherent in the exhaust of all galants." I want to know if all galants are truly loud, or if I was getting the brush-off.
  • floridianfloridian Posts: 219
    audiologst: That dealer is pulling your leg ( or ear maby)My wife's 1999 Galant is super quiet. I actually prefer a little "sporty rap" to the exhaust of my cars anyway. I installed one of those "coffee can" exhaust tips ( I'm NO boy racer either) to effect a little rumble but even that did not raise the decibels one iota. Take your car back and MAKE them inspect the exhaust system. If it's noisy then sumthin is not right ! Drive another one of their cars and see if it has the same noise, I doubt if it will. Look at it this way tho, some folks pay BIG bucks to make their exhaust louder.You are getting it for free.

Floridian
  • vac23vac23 Posts: 118
    Sounds like you live where I do!!! My local dealer is the same way. I usually drive about an hr away to have my car serviced on the weekend. Why aren't there more mitsu dealers around?
  • ultratechultratech Posts: 117
    Well, the only normal noice that most of us on the 4 cyl have is the loud thing under the hood, which gets louder with the A/C on .. but I can live with that ... good thing it goes away after like 5 min of driving ... oh well.. other than that nothing to complain so far ... and hopefully never have to complain ...
    Well, browning Mitsu here in South Cali has a very good service department , very helpful people too... or maybe they were in a good mood the day I went.
  • cbnearlacbnearla Posts: 28
    I've had my ES-V6 for about 8 weeks now. 1600 mi with no problems so far. I replaced the steel wheels with alloys about 2 weeks after purchase. When the rear wheels came off I was surprised to see that the wheel hubs looked rusty. The fronts are normal. Anybody else see this on their ES-V6? What could have caused them to become rusty? The car had only 19 mi. at purchase. What would be the easiest way to remove the rusty look, as the rusty look can be seen through the alloys?
  • abumaabuma Posts: 1
    I am looking to possibly purchase a 1989 Galant 4 door GL from a co-worker, Whe is meticulous about keeping up the car, it has not a ding or scratch on it, the interior is in perfect condition and itonly has 104,000 miles on it. She takes it to her mechanic if there is ever a noise or problem. I was wondering if there were any people out there who knew of problems with the transmission. She had a problem with it sounding like it was shifting hard, she took it to her mechanic and he changed the filter and trans fluid as it had never been changed before. It runs fine now but I am skeptical, I've had cars with trans trouble and dont want to pay a nice low price for the car and find I have to replace the transmission.
    Thank you
  • that at times I'm not sure the engine is running! And that is not only my opinion, but almost everyone who has been in my car says the same thing. So....back to the dealer, and take no bull!
  • epikgtzepikgtz Posts: 18
    ... of cars (and items on those cars) affected?
  • I am incredibly happy with the purchase of my Patriot Red 2000 Galant GTZ. Maybe it's because I know the owner of the dealership, but the service has been impeccable.

When I first walked in I told the owner I wanted a GTZ (knowing already by talking to others how hard they were to get). I expected the sorry response. Instead he went back and looked on the order board and sure enough they had one that was unspoken for coming in in 30 days. In red no less! Of course I took it on the spot!

Can't tell you how much I paid (I might get in trouble) but it was definitely under invoice. Plus the great financing. I took delivery on April 1st (I had my doubts!?) but I now have 5300 miles on it with no problems other than some carpeting that needed to be glued back down on my first dealer visit.

I guess some people on this board can't believe a great story like this but it's completely true. I would recommend the GTZ if they can find one to anybody. By the way I am 6' 4" and a solid 300 but I fit with little trouble in the drivers seat. The only thing that occasionally pokes me is the seatbelt reciever on the right side.

I'll be sure to post back if something goes wrong.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    $3000 in rebates? Is this only on the GTS model? From what I can tell, there is only a $1500 rebate on the Galant. Please let me know if the rebates are this high on all models or if they are offering a Mitsu owner loyalty rebate. Thanks!
  • texrobintexrobin Posts: 13
    Here's a site to get recall info on all autos.

http://www.autoweb.com/recalls/default.htm
  • mpevznermpevzner Posts: 41
    FYI:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recmmy1.cfm
    Enter Mitsubishi/ Galant/1999 or 2000

A small excert of the from the NHTSA website:
    Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. A nut in the steering gear assembly was not properly tightened, resulting in ranging from steering wheel vibration to stiff steering, and in the worst case, no ability to turn left.

A loss of steering control could increase the risk of a crash.

Just my 2 cents on this one: You can probaly get away with the brake failure, provided YOU ARE LUCKY and your car has a manual gearbox and you know how to downshift, but if your steering is 'kaput' then you're toast...

I have a receipt from Mitsubishi service where I complained about steering wheel vibration. Guess what was their verdict? "No problem found" - you got it.
    Loss of steering control is a kind'a bad thing, more than that, I would admit that it kind'a [inappropriate language] big time. "Increase the risk of a crash ..." - how very true! I would rather say "If your steering is screwed up while you are driving the [inappropriate language] thing - you're pretty much dead".
    I called the local Mitsu dealer and they said that the only info they had about the recall was rumors. Isn't it pathetic?

Have fun drivin',
    Max,
    'Lucky' owner of '99 ES V6,
    a.k.a. Local Friendly Mitsu Basher.
    'Lucky' means still alive as of 08/23/00
  • draymond2draymond2 Posts: 134
    What would be a good price to pay for a 2000 ES?? I was thinking invoice minus $1500 rebate, Does anyone think this is possible.

There are being advertised locally for $15,999. According to Edmunds invoice + destination is $17135 minus rebate is $15635.

Does anyone know what the approximate ad fees are? Any advice/input would be appreciated.
  • mpevznermpevzner Posts: 41
    In California around 1 year ago it was somewhere between $400 and $500, I've seen the invoice for my car.
    IMHO If you want to buy a Mitsubishi - think twice. Good looks, shoddy quality and poor reliability.