Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• purp3purp3 Posts: 24
    I bought my silver metallic in Dec 1999. Totally love it and think it is a great piece of machinery! I was at the Mitsu plant in Normal a little over a month ago. You should see this place! It is huge! So many cars outside that it was unreal! One question, I changed my air filter just a few days ago with 15K miles on it. I don't think I drive on to many dusty roads but maybe I do. I noticed a lot of black on the bottom of the filter. Looks like the old one was doing its job! Anyway, I attributed the black to the air quality around where I live. I changed the filter and all is OK so far. Engine runs great and has good pickup. I love it and hope to maybe get it paid off in a couple of years. Happy motoring!
  • boston14boston14 Posts: 111
    I replaced my tires at 11k for my 2000 es 4cyl already. I went 2 sizes wider at 215 60 15 and I think its worth every penny. The 195 65 15 are just too small and that size tire if one checks is on cars like the Focus, Protege ES and other smaller cars. I would have gone to 225 size but the guide book only went to 215 for plus sizing. Besides I didnt want to take a chance on the tire hitting the strut. Do what I did and you will love the difference.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I sat in like 3 or 4 different Galant models and it doesn't seem the seat goes back far enough for me. i am 6'3 and weigh about 270 lbs. and it seems that I need more leg room to be comfortable. How about you people who are my size or larger and have a Galant? Can you all get comfortable and stay comfortable in it?

Also, how is fuel economy with the V6 engine? I want a V6, but don't wanna put premium gas in it. Is it required?

Lastly, how are the new-generation Galants holding up from 1999 on? Just curious, because I know some of the older models had transmission problems and such and I want a reliable car. Thanks alot in advance for your help.
    THE GALANT MIGHT NOT BE THE BEST CHOICE. I AM ONLY 5 5 AND OFTEN WONDER HOW IN THE WORLD DO REALLY TALL PEOPLE LIKE THIS CAR? I FEEL INTERIOR ROOM IS THE GALANT'S ONLY WEAK SPOT SO FAR IN OVER 1 YR OVER DRIVING. THE 4CYL IS JUST FINE TO ME, ITS HAS A GREAT REV TO IT AND I HAVE NO REGRETS ABOUT BUYING MY GALANT.
  • ultratechultratech Posts: 117
    Well, I'm 6 ' , and driver seat is not a problem to me at all .... I put it all the way to the back, and my back is straight .. and I'm really comfortable .. It depends a lot on your driving style ... My friend who's like 5'5 drives like he's sleeping , so he puts the chair very close for the pedals and the back is all the way to the back ..

About transmission ... Someone posted about that problem with his 95 galant I think ... but since the new generations is still kind of new, we may not know much about it yet ... If you're thinking of getting rid of it after warranty expires.. that shouldn't be a big deal.

About fuel .. I'm getting 24 mpg on like 50% freeway .. 4-cyl ... 89

About tires, I'm gonna upgrade for 17" .. I think bigger wheels look better ..
  • annem2annem2 Posts: 1
    At about 10,000 miles, my 2000 Galant has started falling apart. The trim came off from around the headlight, trim came off of driver's door, overhead lights fell out, vents fell out, suspension under left front and right rear are bad, the vents aren't blowing right, and now they're saying I need a new radiator. Is mine the only Galant with this many problems? Not to mention that we're having a big problem with the service department. Their first diagnosis for every problem is that "It's supposed to do that". i can't believe Mitsubishi would manufacture a car that is "supposed to do" all of the problems mine's having.
  • My 2000 Gallant AS 4cyl that I purchased in September of 1999 now has 34,000 miles on it. I have not had any problems with it other than the a rattle in the drivers door, the map light falling out and the weather stripping around one of the headlights needed to be replaced. The dealer did a great job of repairing these small problems. I am wondering if an extended warranty on the car would be worth it? I just priced a warranty through 1sourceautowarranty.com and a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty would be $836. Does anyone have any experience with 1 Source Auto Warranty?? Thanks in advance for your advice.
  • My nephew is shopping for a brand new car. He is fed up with his mazda 626 after all the problems he's had as well as the crap that the dealer gives him. He is considering an Es 4-cylinder galant and is wonder if the galant will out preform his 4cylinder 626? Also, the 626 was excellent in snowy weather and is wonder if the galant will be? Anyone driven a galant is foul weather? Another question, is Mitsubishi reliable? If you could please send back any information about the galant it will be very helpful.
  • mich2kmich2k Posts: 2
    I have problem with leaking rims,all of them.Turned and rebalanced tires maybe 5-6 times.Finally change two fronts.Mileage under 30K.Also had failure ABS unit,replaced underwarranty.I satisfied with engine perfomance and handling,
    But still tnihking about durability,vary intresting posting about bad trannies..
    I 'd like to hear somebody who has 1999 model about their experience with Galant ES.
    I dont know,do I have sell this car and stick with another?(which one has same engine for 20k)
  • ultratechultratech Posts: 117
    It shoud be worth it .. maybe .. well to my on experience only maybe on american cars ... they do requiere you to do all the maintanance and keep all your recepts or proofs ... also they only cover major stuff .. a lot of electric and computer related problems they won't cover ...All japanese cars should last at least 5 years , so what I would do is If unsure about long term reliability of your galant, just get rid of it after the warranty expires or after like 5 years ...
  • homer61388, Your nephew should surely by a Galant. I have a 1999 ES 4cyl. with 22K. I have not had any major problems with it so far. I have only replaced a hose clamp with a better designed one. Other than that no serious problems. I out of all the cars I've driven ( a lot) I think the Galant 4cyl. to be the best I have ever driven. Even with so much pep the gas mileage is still great! As far as looks go, I still smile everytime I visit the car wash. There's nothing better than having a reliable car that turns heads too.

Summary: Mitsubishi builds great cars!!
  • I live in Michigan and we have had a lot of snow this year. I must tell you that I am very impressed with how my 2000 Galant ES (4 cyl.) handles. It beats the 1994 Honda Accord that I drove for 4 winters. No more "white-knuckles".
  • I have a 2000 galant es..ive been having w/ the car vibrating at speeds of 65mph. the steering wheel shakes, the passenger seat, the sun visor, etc. i had the wheels balanced twice! any suggestions??
  • I have a 2000 Galant ES V6. I have had no problems with it other than some squeeky brakes that were fixed. I am looking to change the foglights mainly to improve the looks of the car. I changed the headlights to the new fake Xenon lights and I think the car looks a little bit classier. For $20 at Wal-Mart it was a good investment. If anyone can give me information on what type of aftermarket foglights would be good or if I can even change them without having to change the wiring. Thanks!
  • Another unlikely, but possible source of the vibration is, believe it or not, the transmission. My when the torque converter started to go out in my 1990 Galant it would shake at higher speeds like you describe. In my case it would vibrate for a few seconds, stop, then start up again. After repeated alignments and balancings, then changing two rims unnecessarily, I noticed that the vibration was not as bad when I shut off the overdrive. Changing the fluid bought me temporary relief but a rebuild was necessary. You are probably on the right track as the problems are most probably 1. Out of alignment tires. 2 Out of balance tires. 3. Irregularly worn tires - perhaps even a steel band or tread separation 4. Bent rim 5. Torque converter 6. Broken motor mounts (longshot to cause the problem but problematic on Galants).
  • mich2kmich2k Posts: 2
    I 'd like to replace my horrible eagles tires.
    Does anybody have some idea if there are better tires than GY,but not very expensive?.
    Does 3-36k warrantie covered rims?
    I replaced my Goodyear with Bf goodrich Touring TA 215 60 15 H rated speed for 62.00 each at Sam's Club. They ride about the same as the Goodyear Eagles Ls tires that to me were just fine, but at 195 size doesnt corner well or gave a good steering feel. If you want to really save try to find Cavalier tires, they are made by Michelin. I got 205 60 15 H rated for 50 each. They are better than my Goodrich tires as they are very quiet. Toyo Z800 ultra is the best of all but rather expensive. They cost me 64.00 for 185 70 13 tires so for 15 size about 100 and up.
    Edmunds? I rented one for 2 days and thought it was one hell of a fun ride. That 3.5 engine rocks and to me had no fuzzy or confused transmission at all. It was ranked 8 out of 8 in a comparsion test by Edmunds. I saw one advertised in the Seattle area new for 22k and if I didnt get the Galant first would have jumped for the Diamante. Best part of my vacation was the car rental that how much I want a Diamante now.
  • vac23vac23 Posts: 118
    The Galant would be a good choice. I live in the snow belt & the GTZ handles decent in snow, it's even better now that I changed to a new set of tires. The g/y tires were alright on dry pavement but not on wet. As far as reliability goes, Mitsu is not up there w/hondas & toyotas but they can hold their own. Haven't had any major problems up until today when I found out my right rear wheel bearings needs to be replace. I currently have alittle over 29k miles on it so hopefully it's covered under warranty if not I guess I'll make them. I was qouted $390 at a independent shop to replace the bearings.

F/L
    Someone from another forum replace their existing fogs w/ ones from catz I think the model is "MSC" They stated they didn't need the wiring that came w/ the lights. It'll work w/ the existing wiring for the factory fogs.
  • vac23vac23 Posts: 118
    In case someone hasn't heard yet. A recall was issued last week to have one of the transmission lines replaced due to a manufactuering defect. It affects all galants made between 3/98-12/00. For more info go to www.nhtsa.dot.gov & put in your vehicle info under the recall heading.