Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I suppose you are right. The rear speakers are absolutely terrible. The magnets are puny, the bass sucks, the highs are muffled, and you can't get much volume out of them. They are 6.5" by the way. I guess I will try upgrading those first and then see if the stereo is just too wimpy in its power amplification. I don't want some thumping stereo but I would like some decent sound. It irks me that Mitsubishi puts 6 speakers on the Lancer LS, but only 4 on their sporty OZ model.
  • cajun626cajun626 Posts: 54
    I griped about this a year ago on this forum. My super reliable replacement water pump died after 9K miles (original Mitsu pump lasted 100K). The place I brought it to could not get the timing correct, just like the last shop I brought it to a year ago. I had to bring it to the dealer to get it timed, just like the last time. Both shops that screwed it up told me that all ticks lined up, so is there something unconventional about the timing on these cars? If a shop goes anywhere near your timing belt and your car all of a sudden rides like crap, have them fix it.
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Posts: 314
    The Galant also has only four speakers, and in the base system (which I have), they don't get particularly loud despite the 100 or 140 watts I may or may not have.

Still, the sound is excellent at moderate vollume levels, good enough that I won't bother changing them.

The number of speakers doesn't always relate to the quality of the sound. I had a 1996 Toyota Corolla with 4 speakers and 40 watts. The speakers were 6.5 inch rounds in the rear (the rears on my Galant are 6X9) and 5 1/4 inch rounds in front.

What was amazing was that stereo in the corolla, a base Toyota system with a cassette and four speakers, sounded better than my Galant's does (and the Galant system is very nice - no complaints). In fact, it sounded better than the excellent system in my wife's Saturn L200 (100 watts, 8 speakers) or the Toyota Camry I rented over the holidays (also 8 speakers).

The system in that Corolla got so lout, without distorting base or any vibration, that it was intollerable to test its limits (ear-splitting!!!).

Get a good set of speakers and you will have audio bliss, even with "only" four.
    I know the # of speakers doesn't matter much. In fact, with the right speakers and stereo, 2 is enough. The CD player in my 92 Miata has the best sound quality I have ever heard. Of course its an aftermarket Pioneer CD player with 45 wattsx4 hooked up to two Sony Explode 3 way 6.5" speakers. The bass thumps so much the doors buzz at even moderate volumes, the vocals are crystal clear, and the stereo gets loud fast. Getting back in my Lancer is just horrid. I find myself cranking and cranking the volume and it just gets loud while sounding crappy. It's amazing how muffled songs sound. Anyway, what irks me about not having the extra tweeters like the LS model has is the fact my OZ model costs more then the LS. Why Mitsu decided to only offer the tweeters on the LS model baffles me and doesn't make any sense. Plus, the tweeters would have helped allow a fuller sound in the car. But I'm really pulling at straws to find faults with my car. My Lancer has been flawless after 7300 miles. No rattles, no mechanical problems, just very high build quality. I'm very impressed with this car. With some new speakers, this car should be just about perfect :)
    Glad you like your Lancer. I actually considered one when I bought my Galant, and found the smaller car to actually have a roomier back seat, be almost as quiet and ride just as smoothly. In the end, it was the near silence of the Galant's ride and the very small difference in out-the-door price that made me go for the Galant, which as a 4th year product is easier to bargain on than the brand-new Lancer. I got mine for straight invoice price.
  • chymerchymer Posts: 7
    We own a 1997 Galant ES with 64,000 miles and just had to replace the Vibration Crankshaft Pulley thingy. Has anyone else had a problem with this? The dealer we took it to said they've seen many Diamontes and Galants coming in with this problem. When this part goes bad, it vibrates extensively and throws the belts off. He suggested that Mitsubishi needs to redesign this part. The part alone was $120 then another $120 in labor. Not a huge price, but not fun.
  • cajun626cajun626 Posts: 54
    My so far great '94 Galant ES with 110K miles is smoking. I can't really tell the color (black, white, blue), but it seems white-gray. I don't see the smoke at start-up or while driving. If it idles for a few minutes and I hit the gas a little, a smoke cloud rises from the exhaust. Any thoughts on how much longer I can drive without major work (rings, valves, total rebuild, etc.)? The car still feels as strong as ever. It's leaking oil so I can't really tell if the quart that disappears every 1000 miles is being burned or is dropping off the engine.
    As in everything car-trouble related, fixing now will be cheaper than fixing later. Regardless, if the car still feels good and you still like it, its probably cheaper to fix than replace.
  • marcb4marcb4 Posts: 9
    My 99 Galant GTZ (purchased used with 28K miles, now with 30K) behaves strangely during freeway driving: At freeway speeds, when going over expansion joints or large bumps, the car "yaws" - something like a side-to-side motion that feels uncomfortable at best, unsafe at worst. This lateral motion is especially noticeable in the back seat. I've taken it to a reputable mechanic who's verified everything - alignment, tires, etc. The tires are worn a bit unevenly but other than that everything seems OK. Has anyone else experienced this sort of motion ? Could uneven tires cause this kind of yaw ? Is this typical of the GTZ with its stiffer supension ? Thanks for your inputs.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,248
    I have a 99 LS with 61K miles and haven't had any such problem. Around 18-21K, I did have some highway-speed front wheel shimmy that was fixed free as there was a TSB. The nice thing was it included a front brake job.

The only time I have felt a yaw motion is when I drive over the grated steel bridges leading in to downtown Chicago. But the nature of the road surface is causing that; it has little to do with the car itself.

My LS has been pretty much problem-free and I hope to keep it until it has well over 100K miles.
    Sounds to me like your valve stem seals are leaking. It's not a big deal. It just means you now have a slight oil burning problem and need to keep an eye on the oil level every few weeks. You can drive it like this with no problem for a long time. Only when it pours out smoke at all times are you in need of a major engine rebuild. Mitsubishis are known for weak valve stem seals on their early-mid 90s cars so its common and nothing to worry about. I would just drive it until you are ready to get rid of it or the smoking gets much worse.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • cxshortiecxshortie Posts: 15
    CK -- check out thegalantcenter.com

There are several galant owners there acutally about 2000 of us!
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Posts: 193
    My 99 Galant V6 lease is up in November. I have been pleased with the car and am thinking of buying the car off lease. Residual is around $10.700.

Has anyone had any experience buying a vehicle at lease expiration. Are there any additional charges other than the straight residual as a purchase price. Is a down payment required? Information on the above
    would be greatly appreciated.
  • bhambobbhambob Posts: 6
    My wife has an '01 ES V6 and frequently complains of the problem. Is there a TSB for this? Is there a recommended fix for this problem?
  • cbnearlacbnearla Posts: 28
    Does the shimmy occur at 60-70 mph? Do you also notice the steering wheel pulling side-to-side when hitting the brakes fairly hard at 50-60 mph or so? If so, yes there is a TSB for this problem: the lower control arms (with integral bushings on the V6) need to be replaced. The fix also includes a front brake job. I have a 2K ES V6 and recently had this repair. The TSB to look for says something about "brake judder".
  • bhambobbhambob Posts: 6
    I answer 'yes' to both questions. The questions you asked are right on the money. Thanks for the quick reply and I will get the work done ASAP. BTW, is this covered under warranty?
    There should be no charge for this repair.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    You'd have to call the leasing company (assuming Mitsu?) to get the exact buy-out. A new Galant even with 0% financing will run you at least $300/month for a stripped model. You should be able to buy yours for $200-$225/month depending on sales tax in your area. Or finance it for 3 years for $330/month and own it in two years sooner. You can finance it through any bank you want so that's where the decision of a down-payment will come in.

The main thing to do is check around and see how much you can buy an identical used '99 Galant. If the buy-out on yours is cheaper then you're ok. If your buy-out is higher, you'd be better off to give it back and start-over with something else. There were a few years (97-99 mainly) that the leasing companies/manufacturers were putting high residuals on vehicles in order to get the payments down. Now those vehicles are being turned in and they are worth no where near the residuals. I can't comment on yours because it might be high if you have a base model, or low if you have a loaded V6. Just check out the numbers before you do anything. I know a guy with a '99 Camry and his residual was about $2000 higher than what the vehicle was really worth. He just gave it back and bought something else.
    The residual on my Galant is $10,700. Car is a V6 with leather and after market wheels and mileage after 39 months will be around 44000.

I have read that you can negotiate with the leasing company (Mitsubishi) to buy below residual as the company saves by disposing of the car immediately and makes no repairs or clean up which also costs money.
    Anyone heard of this?
    I really love the car and if I can own it for 10 grand or so I see no downside. I can always sell it a year or two down the road if something else strikes my fancy.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    I've heard of some folks doing that as well, but I know some companies so "no-way" and others will. You'd just have to call them and negotiate. Seems like your mileage is right on average and $10K for a loaded up car doesn't sound bad, but again I have no idea what these are worth. Edmunds gives pretty fair values. Just don't use Kelly Blue Book, they are crazy.
  • marak88marak88 Posts: 57
    Hello

99 ES, the light bulb behind the temperature and the fuel gauge burnt out and I don't know how to take the cluster out so I can change the light bulb, Would any one know how or what would be the easiest way to change the fuel gauge/ temperature gauge light bulb.

thanks in advance.
  • marcinmarcin Posts: 64
    well, what a coincidence. my dashboard bulb went out this weekend so i was planning on posting the same question in the forum. the only difference in my case is that all of my bulbs are out now except the temperature and the fuel gauge. i did not want to replace anything until now - it's not easy. but i have no choice as i can't see anything at night now. my '99 ES has +70K miles and the first bulb went out around 45k. i'm pretty upset and believe that there is either an electrical problem or just poor mitsu design. most of my driving is done during daytime and i do not use headlights throughout the day. anyway, i will ask the dealer how much they want for the job, but i'm pretty sure it will be around $100. most likely i will end up doing it myself.
    anyone else has the same dilemma?
  • joathletejoathlete Posts: 25
    The bulb between my speedometer and coolant level has gone out as well. I would rather change it myself if not to complex. Would anyone know how to do this that can explain
    If you don't get an answer here, go to www.thegalantcenter.com. Check the frequently asked questions or tutorials sections.
  • cgacga Posts: 23
    I have a 4 cylinder 2000 Galant ES, with about 20,000 miles, which I purchased new.

Due to a bad car accident years ago I'm very sensitive to how a car handles. I noticed the overall front end wander (drift, yaw, call it what you will) more or less the first time I drove the car on the highway. I believe it's a design issue. It's most noticeable in the winter, even though I have four very good snow tires. It's very subtle and not everyone would notice it or be bothered by it. But it bothers me considerably. Naturally, the dealer don't help.
  • cgacga Posts: 23
    Make that "the dealer won't help."
  • homer61388homer61388 Posts: 54
    One of my best friends is looking at these two vehicles for his wife. He wants a sporty car coupled with performance and comfort. But he wants safety and reliability too. I have already checked into safety and both cars performed admirably. The warranty on the sonata is making him lean toward it more. But I personally think that the galant has the sonata beat in sportiness. His main questions are which is the sportiest, the most reliable, and the most comfortable. Oh, and he and his wife also drive in less than ideal weather conditions and he is wondering which car would be a wiser choice for snow travel?
    He has talked to me about the galant gtz and how it demands premium fuel while the sonata runs on regular? Can the galant run on regular fuel too?
    Please write back and inform me on your opinions. Thanks!
    I drive a 99 V6ES Galant and find the car to have been most reliable. The GTZ model is not appreciably different except for a few cosmetic differences. While premium fuel is recommended it is not required. I have used mid range 89 octane for most of my ownership with absolutely no problems. I think regular would also be ok. It just reduces the performance level. I know that when I first bought the car it performed like a rocket. With the mid range fuel I now use it performs well but not spectacularly as it did before.

So I guess it would be a tradeoff between an off the line rocket sled and a nice performer at less cost (no premium fuel).

If you want a testimonial for this car let me just say that with 40000 miles on the clock I'm so happy with the car that I plan to buy it when it goes off lease in November. I think it looks and performs great. Very BMW like styling and fine performance. Have not had the car in for anything but an oil change for the last 18 months. It's been highly reliable.

I have no knowledge of the Sonata but if looks, sportiness and reliablity are important I think the Galant wins hads down.
    Here's my opinion: The Sonata is geared more towards comfort and space. The seats are very comfortable to me, whereas Mitsu seats hurt my back. The rear seat in the Sonata is roomier and the cabin feels more open and airy. It looks classy and elegant whereas the Galant looks sportier. The suspension is soft and only has average handling whereas the Galant handles pretty good and has a firmer ride. Reliability should be about equal. Both offer traction control so they should be about equal in winter traction. So, I'm not sure which one to recommend to him. If he wants sportiness, the Galant wins. If he wants comfort and a big warranty, the Sonata wins.