Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• i tried all but haven't got the answer yet... bty, do you know if the code of Mitsubishi ES V6 2002's code will work with mine?...
  • The code is specific to your stereo.
  • Supposedly the picture was taken at a private showing in Vegas...

http://www.evolutionm.net/gallery/data/502/1evo83.jpg

(at the risk of sounding obvious, it's the one in the background)

• marcinmarcin Posts: 64
    it looks like the Outlander, look at the nose job :-)
    also, i think it is 2005 not 2004 (according to evolutionm.net website) but then again, edmunds is showing 2004 spy photos. i'm confused?

my '99 ES just passed 77k mark. will it reach 100k? i hope so! :-)
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,233
    That 04/05 model .. I think the new nose style works really well on SUVs (I like the Outlander's looks) but I'm not convinced that I like it on a sedan. Need more photos or to see one in person.

Marcin - Congrats on your 77K. My 99 LS just turn 68K the other day. I just experienced warped rotors for the 1st time & had the discs resurfaced. My guess is when I got new tires at NTB back in July they overtightened the lugs.
  • What the heck is that monstrosity?!!! Looks like the car has a BEAK! If that's the direction Mitsubishi is planning to take with the new Galant, I'll hold on to my "old" 2000 ES, thank you very much...
  • "very strange item..My daughter has a 1999 Galant ES 4 cylinder(bought new in 1999). She has 52k miles on it. She has had the oil changed at Mitsubishi and at Sears many times. I changed her oil and filter on Saturday. I don't think anyone ever changed the oil filter on this car even though she paid for it every change. The oil filter I removed was a Mitsubishi oil filter, number MD752072(MFS087 also on the filter),even though her last change was from Sears. I had purchased a Purolator filter from Straus Stores a week ago in anticipation of this change. When I removed the filter from the car I noticed it was significantly larger than the one I had purchased. I assumed Straus had given me the wrong one. When I returned it they told me it was the correct one for a 4 cylinder and the one I removed from the car(which I showed them) was for a six cylinder. The store manager said Mitsubishi probably put a six cylinder oil filter mounting on the 4 cylinder engine and that's why the filter was a six cylinder filter. I have never heard of anything like this and exchanged the 4 cyl filter for the 6 cyl filter(purolater L14459) and installed it on the car. I need your help to understand what the real story is and if I have the right filter now on the car. Also is there anyway I can determine(serial number?) if the oil filter I removed from the car is the one that was installed at the factory as I suspect. I never tried the smaller filter on the car so I do not know if it would have fit, but the guy at Straus told me it would have not fit. sorry for the long note but this is so wierd...thanks ";
  • marcinmarcin Posts: 64
    have you looked at the automatic transmission filter? i am very curious if that filter was mistaken with the oil. they look very similar from what i can recall.

i would also call the mitsu dealer and verify the oil filter numbers (mfg).

then i would call sears and ask them what type of oil filter was installed and "show me where"

let us know the progress of your trouble.

good luck.
  • I'm getting rid of my current ride, a '99 Toyota Camry, and getting back to the Mitsu Galant. Going for the ES V6.

Just wondering if anyone owns one out there and may have any words of wisdome or encouragement to share with me. Thanks.
  • bbf65bbf65 Posts: 29
    had an ES-V6. '01 though and not '03.
    very reliable and really smooth running.
    my ex-room mate has an '02 GTZ and loves it.
    no problems with his either.

hope that helps.

thanks.
  • Mitsubishi cut some weird things out in 2003 for cost savings. You no longer get a valet key, ABD is not standard with the V6 anymore, no more locking glovebox, and no more lighter. If you need any of these things you might want to find a leftover 2002 Galant.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    I would advise against buying one new. I bought a new '01 ES V6 totally loaded 18 months ago and put less than 9K miles on it. I'm trying to sell it now and it is worthless. The car is excellent and we're perfectly happy with it, it's just an extra car that doesn't get driven enough to justify keeping it. I would really advise you look for a very slightly used one and skip the deals they offer on new ones. No way possible can the interest/no payment gimicks add up to the $9,000 you can save by buying one with 10K miles on it.

I didn't really know much about Mitsubishi when we bought ours, except we were looking for a new V6 Camry (had three others) and couldn't find one equipped the way we wanted. Stumbled across the Galant which was perfect so we bought it. Even with their good prices up front ($2500 less than a Camry) and the rebates/financing it's a total rip on resale. I'm going to be lucky to get $14,000 for this vehicle that stickerd at $23,500 new. I sold one of my Camrys for nearly that much and it was five years old with 50K miles.

I like everything about the Galant V6's but the only way I'll own another is off the used lot. They can keep their gimmick new sales deals as it just continually drives their resale into the ground. I know the used market is flooded right now, but my research shows this is not a new thing for Mitsubishi's.
  • sebring95: You have a good point. Used 01-02 Galant ES 4 cylinders can be had for $13-$13.9 while a V6 will only add $500-$1000 to that price. So if you are looking for the cheapest route definitely do the math between used and new at 0.%
  • I bought an 02 last year, now dealerships here in South NJ are selling leftover 02's for 12,600!
    Those might be the asking prices but that's not what they are selling for. A lot depends on the option packages but the basic 2001-2002 "rental" 4cyl can be bought for well under $10,000 with under 20K miles on it. I have a friend that has a dealership and he pulled the auction sheets for me. 2002 4cyl's with 20K miles are selling for around $8,000 at the auction. That's about inline with what I've been watching on ebay. Examples:

Ebay Item # 1873803686

Ebay Item # 1874305610

No V6's have gone through the auctions so the only thing I have to go on is KBB private party value which puts mine at $14,400 and similar V6's on ebay have been going for around $12,000-$14,000. Examples:

Ebay Item # 1873883129

Ebay Item # 1873567334

Basically the price difference when new is about the same used. V6 package adds about $1500 plus figure in the other option differences. I've noticed V6 models seem to get a lot more attention on ebay so I may just stick mine on there. Going to take a beating one way or another, might as well make it quick.
  • I was going by the prices of a no-haggle car dealer that has bunches of Galants on their lot. They can definitely be had for cheaper and it looks like I gave them too much credit.
  • ultratechultratech Posts: 117
    I would comment that a Galant is worth it's money if you plan to keep it for a while... The depreciation for the first couple of years is just as bad as any Ford.

I bought my 2000 Es in Dec of 1999.. Now I only have 21,000 miles on it, and still performs like new. I hope It'll stay that way for years to come.

-----------------------
    www.thegalantcenter.com
  • Good news. Mitsubishi is offering all remaining 2002 & 2003 Galants with a 7 year/70,000 mile powertrain warranty.
  • pc2macpc2mac Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Galant LS V6 that I bought back in November 2000. So far, it still drives great. My front brakes squeak a lot though but, other than that, I haven't had any other problems.

Resale value does drop like a rock.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,233
    99 LS V6 purchased Feb 99.

Tires, the battery, a couple of light bulbs, and a brake job are about the only wear items I've replaced. I've done oil changes every 3ishK miles and had the scheduled maint done every 15K. The car has yet to let me down. I still love the interior and feel the car provides great bang for the buck as long as you'll be keeping it a few years.
  • jlimkjlimk Posts: 3
    Hello, I am looking at a 99 ES V6 Galant which is selling at $9825. As I have never own a Mitsubishi before, I don't know how reliable is this car. Would you classify it with the Hondas and Toyotas (cars that run forever) or is it like a Mazda ([non-permissible content removed] make but is really a ford)? Any advise will be great. Thanks.
    Reliability wise, it's sort of in-between a domestic and a honda/toyota IMHO. Which makes it a good deal on the resale market because it depreciates as fast as the domestics. $9825 for a '99 though seems kinda high. I just sold my '01 ES V6 with 9,700 miles and every single option available for $13,000. And I had to work to get that. Market sucks right now if you're selling, but it puts you in a good position.

btw, Mazda is actually pretty good and in most cases Mazda provides goods to Ford but not the other way around. The Ranger is associated with the Mazda pickup and the old Probes had some Mazda parts but I don't think it goes much deeper than that. Chrysler and Mitsubishi are similarly joined at a factory in IL. When I bought my Sebring it was built in the same factory as the Eclipse and shared a lot of parts.
    The Galant has 48k miles on it. Has standard options. What would be a reasonable price for the car? I am thinking of bargaining it down to $10k (car, sales tax, titles, fees etc included).

My experience with Toyotas and Hondas has been great. However, my Mazda MX6 almost fell apart. Thus, my prejudice against Mazda.
    private sale price is a good indicator to market value. Their retail price is crazy. Private sale price on a '99 ES V6 with 50K miles is around $8300. I sold mine for $1000 less than KBB private sale which was the only offer I got on the car in two months. But if you're satisfied with the car and willing to pay their price then it's a good deal. Willing buyer/willing seller is how it works! Good luck!
  • bbf65bbf65 Posts: 29
    personally, i have had 2 mitsubishi galants
    ('96 S and '01 ES-V6).
    they never let me down.
    as reliable as my sister's honda (civic) and my other sister's toyota (camry).
    my parents also have a lancer and prior to that, 2 previous generation lancers which they kept for at least 5 years.
    no major problems.

so from our experience, mitsus are just as reliable as other japanese makes.
    Thanks for all your advice. I will be test driving the car this weekend.
    Thanks again!!
  • I had the unfortunate experience trying to deal with Mitsubishi dealership. My aunt's car did not start, after a quick run to the store. So, I had the car towed to the dealership. The car is on a 5 year lease with only 35k miles. I was sure it was the battery, but I thought it was under warranty and should be replaced for free. That is a beauty of leasing, you don't have to worry about things like that (except of course maintenance work).
    Bottom line, she took the car in. The dealer wanted to charge her $70 to look at the car, and additional $90+ tax for the battery. I complained, talked to the Service manager, but they stated the battery only has 3 year warranty. It is not covered under warranty.
    Usually if I go to the mechanic, they would take the diagnostic charge and apply it towards the repair. But no, not this dealership. Anyway, after complaining for about 1 hour, the cut the bill $35.
    I have owned several new cars, and I have never been charged during my first 36K miles for anything that made my car non-operational.
    Just with that experience I would never own a mitsubishi vehicle. I have dealt with jeep, toyota, nissan, ford. No problems with customer service. Of course the jeep always stated, "normal for jeep" for every problem.
    Just wanted some of prospective buyers know about my "bad apple" experience.
  • y338y338 Posts: 6
    My car always stalls after the engine was started in the first 15 mins when the trans is in the Drive mode. (It doesn not stall if it is in the park mode)It usually happens when I step on the brake and stop in front of traffic lights. I therefore brought the car to the dealer and the technician advised me to replace the Idle speed control motor. The tech. also suggested to do a major tune-up for the car but I only decided to replace the speed control units. However, after the part was replaced, the problem still exists. The car is still in the dealer shop now. Does anyone have any idea what causes the problem? Is it because of the transmission? Thanks!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I had a 93 Diamante that went through the same exact problem. Have your throttle body cleaned (simple process of spraying throttle body cleaner into it and taking a rag on a pole and wiping out all the gunk). More than likely, the throttle body is all gunked up with carbon deposits and it is blocking the air flow through 2 small pinholes when the throttle is in the closed position (aka, at idle). If these pinholes are blocked, the car starves for air and stalls. The car will tend to stall when in drive and stay running in park because while in drive, the engine is under load and idles lower than it does while in park. I can't guarantee this will fix your problem, but it fixed mine without having to replace the expensive idle speed control motor. I had to do it once a year on my car. Poor quality gas tends to gunk up the throttle body faster, so you might want to look at what kind of gas you are putting in it.
  • Hey has anyone out there heard of metallic flip. I just got back my 2001 Galant from a reputable body shop and when you look at it from a certain angle in the sun it looks horrible. The car is dark metallic red, and when looking at it from behind the parts that were re-painted look pink and have no reflective qualities at all. If I look at it from the front it looks all right. Needless to say I took it back and told them to fix it. The service advisor said he had seen this before and called it metallic flip. So what I am wondering is this really a term or did he make it up to cover up a bad paint job.