Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Car3/carguy58 - you need to click on the "Contact Us" link in the gray box at the top of this page for assistance. That will get you to the people who can help. I'm sorry, but this is not something the hosts have any control over.

I'm sure they'll help you get everything straightened out.
  • i like the new galant GTS, especially in pearl white with the black leather interior, but i'm REALLY AFRAID (shudder) that it will turn out to be a bad choice compared to a new nissan altima V6 or new mazda6 V6 wagon. what do you think?

i value torque (because i don't like whining), comfy seats (because i have soft sensitive buns), and lots of shoulder room (because i'm built like a superhero). oh yeah, and i have a really fat...head. help me out here, puh-leez!
  • The prices and performance for the above cars are/will be very comparable. I don't think any of them will let you down (the wagon obviously has the unbeatable advantage in the form of additional space) but Galant's residual will be pretty much worthless in a few years, so unless you like to keep your cars for very long (like I do) Galant will cost you more in the long-run.
  • Acc. to review, this website of Mitsu-Galant is one of the most viewed websites in terms of autos specially when it was first shown during the SuperBowl event. Not to mention their upcoming new commercials to be released soon!!! Last Sunday, I chanced upon seeing a black GTS Galant & we're both driving at a speed of 100 mph(side by side)at FW-605 in LA & glanced inside the car, driver is the wife & husband is the passenger - did a thumbs up sign,as if ,they're really enjoying their ride!!! Note: Am driving a 2002 Galant ES too! You could see smile on their faces!! Wake up & Drive...........feel the difference!!!!!! VVVRRRROOOOMMMMM
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
  • aristotlearistotle Posts: 123
    are only 4 things:

1. Better looking front grille
    2. Better suppression of noise from engine and outside
    3. Full side curtain airbags
    4. Folding rear seat

That can propel the sales of this car to the very top of its class.
    They could have used a triangular plate instead of the rectangular ( Or is it trapezoidal? ) one in the middle of the grille to make it more attractive. I remember seeing a spyshot/artist's rendition ( don't remember which ) of the 2006 Diamante which had a nicer looking triangular plate in the middle of the grille.

Also I read in another forum that the Galant does not have a light in the glove compartment. I did not verify this myself.

Small things. But attention to detail can make this car a really great one. I hope they fix these in the next model year. This car deserves so much better.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Jaunary: 3700 units sold
    Febrauary: 4781 units old

Note: not all Mitsu dealers a supply of 04 Galants for January.

About the grille aren't there aftermarket grilles to fix that I think if you need to? Maybe Mitsu can offer some kind of optional sport grille in the future at Mitsu dealers. I would look in aftermarket car mags to see if they are aftermarket grille's for the Galant. I think its too though early in the Galants production for Mitsu to be offering aftermarket products like that.
  • As a happy owner of an '04 GTS. I am pleased with the grill. I've never quite looked at car's grill in determining if I should by the car. But at the same time the Kia Amanti and Chrysler 300C do have oversized ugly fronts, so to each his own. How would you guys rate the grills on the Accord, Camry, Altima, and Mazda 6. As far as not having a light in the glove compartment, I'll check in the morning, again not something that I look for when buying a car. I purchased my GTS purely on the sportiness of the car interior/exterior, size of the car, and the fact that it's not a typical family sedan, and course what's under the hood.
    Please don't get me wrong. i am rooting for the Galant. I really want it to succeed. I feel that it deserves more attention from shoppers. I feel it is a really good car.

By pointing Mitsubishi's attention to the small shortcomings in the present model I am only helping them to make an even better car next year.

Enjoy your Galant. I used to own one from 95 to 99 and may get one next year.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    For those of you interested, and who take CR for what its worth- a full test of the Galant ES 4 cylinder will appear in the May issue. In the April Auto Issue, there is a short writeup, and the car's overall score appears as well. Compared to the rest of the herd of midsizers, the Galant performed only midpack, trailing the overall scores of other 4 cylinder models like the Passat, Accord, Camry, Altima, 6, Malibu. Logically, it also achieved a lower score than the V6 models of those vehicles as well.

The Galant did however, outscore the Duratec V6 Taurus/Sable, Hyundai XG, Kia Optima, Sebring/Stratus V6 and 4, Grand Prix, V6 powered Suzuki Verona, among others.

The critical acclaim of this car is pretty consistent- its a good but undistinguished entry, which I felt as well (I posted regarding my test drive in early Dec.)

~alpha
  • Hey Alpha01, based on your comment reg.the full test result of the 4 cyl. 04'Galant, I definitely agree w/ you BUT as to V6 engines - GTS, better read the Auto Review 2004 models & other auto magazines, results are better as compared to previous models. As to Motor Trend Feb. issue, the GTS Galant beats Toyota Camry & Chevy Malibu as no. 2 behind the Accord in this mid-size sedan category. Small details like: small trunk opening & load, no fold down rear seats, no side curtain air bags, no glove compartment lights, no access to navigation system, poor rear visibility - these are all "stupid" small details consumers are looking for. Better see the test results for the V6 engines - Honda is not far away from the GTS Galant but it's no. 1 as to torque is concern.

I'll agree to portknoxxa when he bought his new '04 GTS Galant - you should always consider the power of your engine & torque, as "well" mentioned before here in our site, plus the warranty you can get (10 yrs.-100K)plus safety controls, the style & reasonable price of the car. As to mid-size sedans, GTS Galant is still one of the best - you should first try to test drive a new one before making such negative comments on this car!!! as I have mentioned before, FEEL THE DIFFERENCE & WAKE UP & DRIVE first a new Mitsu Galant- (GTS in particular)& VVRRROOOMMMM!!!!!!
  • Hey guys there is light at the end of the tunnel. There is light in the glove compartment, the other small details mentioned by RTO are small details easily corrected. As far as poor rear visibility, that is directly related to the individual driving the car, seat position, driver's size, etc. That's were car reviews are 100% objective. I have no problems. A fold down rear bench would be nice but it's not mandatory for me. Navigation is a cool toy but if i wanted one i would have gone with the other competitors. I'll agree with alpha01 that the Galant might not be up there with the accord or camry, But that's only in residual/resale value. Honda and Toyota have earned it for over 20+ years, but other than that the Galant has to be really close to those cars, and certainly is better than a Mazda 6 or Altima, and is certainly way ahead of a sonata which i traded in for the GTS, verona, malibu, XG, taurus and the others mentioned are no where near the 2004 galant especially in V6 form. Again when one can "fall in love" with a car and purchase that car based purely on test drives and 1st hand experience without seeing commercials, or "expert reviews", than the car speaks for it self. Another question guys on the Mitsu website Feb 2004. sales where up from Jan. 2004 Sales For the Galant. I was just wondering is that for all Galants or just 2004 Galants. Are they including 2003's in those numbers.
  • in overall engine performance. The Honda has 10 more horsepower but needs an extra 1000 rpm to produce it. The more telling factor is torque. The GTS has 250 ft-lbs at only 4000 rpm where the Accord needs 5000 rpm to produce only 212 ft-lbs. Since it's torque that gets the car moving the advantage in both output and lower rpm is very significant for the Galant.

The best the Camry can offer is 225hp@5600 and 240ft-lbs@3600. The more mainstream V6 Camry is going to be 210@5800 and 220@4400.

The Galant certainly needs issues such as folding rear seat addressed. It's a great car and I'm honestly more enthused to sell it than I was the Honda's. Mitsubishi has made major advances. They just need the world to catch on and the residuals and ratings to catch up to where the cars actually are.
    The Galant is not a great car, its a good car, and a solid choice for those who desire something that is not another Camry, Accord, or Altima.

I've driven it, I'm not an armchair critic. Problems such as lack of side curtains, marginal fuel economy, and poor resale value are more troubling than the admittedly blantant oversight of a non-folding rear seat.

But if I were a salesman, I'd be excited about selling a product that actually sold, not one that struggles along at a pace of <5000/month, and has received far from critical acclaim. The Road Test by Motor Trend is the only overwhelmingly positive one I have read. Edmunds.com, Car and Driver, James Healy of USA Today, and Consumer Reports articles can be referenced to back my claims.

With respect to the output debate, the Galant 4s and V6 trail the Accord and Camry 4s and V6s from 1-4 MPG, depending on the comparison, something to consider. Interesting that the Camry SE V6 (and rumor has it... all Camrys as of 05) produces but 5 hp and 10 lb. ft. less than the Galant V6, which has a HALF LITER advantage in size. The 2.4L MIVEC is also nowhere near as smooth or quiet as competing 4s, Toyota's imparticularly (Honda is quiet but just a touch rough at idle.)

~alpha
  • cracoviancracovian Posts: 337
    It looks like there's a new $1000 rebate this month. Those football players at Carmax have three GTSs (still the same ones from two months ago) for $23,508 and a few more more loaded LSs for $22,518 - now, that's much better but still not good enough to spark overwhelming interest...
    These are purely subjective, based on my priorities and tastes:

Strengths:

- Good exterior looks, except for the grill
    - Good interior
    - Plenty of torque
    - Good ride
    - Great warranty

Relatively insignificant shotcomings:

- no fold down rear seats
    - no side curtain air bags
    - no access to navigation

Significant shortcomings:

- small trunk opening & load
    - poor rear visibility
    - poor resale value
    - less fuel efficient engine
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0408.htm

The new Galant did well in the offset impact. The structure held up very well. Only one possible leg injury kept it from reaching "best pick" status. Good job Mitsu!
  • I was also impressed the way Mitsubishi Galant rated on this crash impact test shown lately on TV - it only shows they did a lot of improvement on their base structure - "as in solid" structure!!!! You should see their latest TV ad to be shown soon!!! "WAKE UP & DRIVE AND FEEL THE DIFFERENCE"!!!!!! VVVRRROOOMMMMM-
    You're very passionate about this good but not great vehicle. I find it puzzling, though laudable, and a breath of fresh air here in the TownHall.

~alpha
  • OK people..everyone can't be happy with the new Galants. I mean honestly, give it to me head on. What isn't there to like? I understand that sales so far are in the tank, and Mitsus president was fired and replaced. So everything can't be peaches and cream in Mutsu land?!?!
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    I saw one up close the other day and it did look very impressive except for those g-d awful wheel covers, what were they thinking! It really detracts from the nice lines of the car.
    I saw a darkish gray one with a redish pin stripe and it looked quite nice. Looked in at the interior and the dash looked very retro and cool, much better than the bland Camry dash but not as cool as the Accords.
    Showed my wife the Accord, as I'm planting the seed in her mind, as I hope this will be her next car in 2006. She sees cars as appliances to get one from point A to B, whereas cars are my passion. I figure if I start early enough, she will learn to like the Accord and we'll have it in the garage!

The Sandman :-)
  • Hey Sandman, the one you saw is the cheapest model of an '04 Galant DE. What do you expect for a cheap model?? BUT..... if you look at their options, you could replace them by a 16" or 17" alloy wheels depending on what package you want!!! An LS or GTS models are the most ideal one in terms of style, handling, safety & performance!!!!! I don't agree that Accord's interior is better than the GTS or LS Galant models, except for the "navigation" options wherein Galant don't have yet BUT ---- you should look at their GTS leather interiors w/ a 270 watt Infinity Stereo surround (rated as 1st in this midsize category).

As to "noleasegalant"'s comment, I respect your critics on Mitsu Galants BUT, it's still rated as one of the best 10 cars in this category (Midsize) - No. 06 BUT still doing their best to improve & add some features maybe on their next line of production........As to torque & engine, I personally 100% agree w/ Houstonseller's - GTS beats the rest topic (see previous messages) - you still need to test drive the "real" thing here before critizing the Mitsu Galant ---- "Wake Up baby and Feel the DIFFERENCE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOMMMMM!!
  • If you are an owner of 2004 Mitsubishi Galant GTS, not only is everything peaches and cream, but it's a beautiful world. I'm up to 5000 miles and the car is absolutely fantastic. No problems to report at all, just got the oil changed yesterday. I ordered colored mud guards to match the car (sterling silver), i put in xenon blue low beams-who needs an HID system, added super white turn signals to the back and just wait until I throw some 18" ROH rimz on it. Have not tinted the windows because the cool blue lighting on the dash is well, cool and I like when people in other cars are looking into my car. I have not seen another GTS on the road and I feel very special. I've seen DE's and ES's and few LS's. The car is a pure head turner, cars slowing down to see it, cars speeding up to see it. Like I said before I purchased the GTS for two reasons: styling int/ext and that 3.8L engine. As a GTS owner why do I care if the pres. was fired and sales are slow.
  • Hey guys, I am new to this site....
    I purchased a DOVE PEARL GTS about 2 weeks ago for $23,900 It is my first new car... I tell you, I am so happy with this car...

PROS:
    fine detailed lines.
    great stereo/cd player.
    steering wheel radio controls.
    white dash cluster
    huge trunk...
    roomy interior
    excellent pick-up and braking...
    I can go on and on.....

CONS: not that many but....here they are.
    Needs the fold down seats-preferred.
    Gas tank cover is manually opened..
    doors are not leather ....
    shift knob could be desinged better....
    radio intergrated with heating control panels....
    incase you wanted to replace the radio you can't...

I love this car... hope to have it for over 10 yrs.... =)

anybody have pictures of their GTS?
    I am willing to share..
    please email me at ashgajjar@hotmail.com
    I wanted the titanium color but I fell in love with the dove pearl...

car is well worth the money..
    How my message helps..

thanks,
    ASH
  • OK so everything is great according to you guys. But I live in the NYC area and honestly, and I mean honestly, I can count on one hand the number of '04 Galants I've seen. As to my response to rtolentino2--the good ratings so far HAVE NOT meant lots of sales. Look at the number of midside sedans in the same class and tell me where the Galant ranks in sales...trust me, it ain't good.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I sat in a silver GTS this weekend and was quite impressed with the leather. It was very soft and supple and looked rich. The seats were perfectly comfortable too. It made me jealous because the leather on my more expensive Diamante is much harder and feels more like vinyl. Mitsu has finally offered a high quality leather. I must agree with ashandgalant04 with regard to the door panels though. The vinyl they use there looks cheap. They need to add a gathered leather look to the panels like they do on the Diamante.
  • I also notice that the majority of the Galants mentioned are GTS' which is the top trim. What happened to the ES and LS????? I'll tell you what happened--they are garbage! No one has them (or almost no one). The fact that you have to get the top trim in this class to get any satisfaction should tell folks what to expect. I see and know lots of Toyota Camry LE and SE owners. They don't need to buy the XLS, the top trim in that class(I know a lot of '01 and '00 happy Camry owners--I'll give Mitsu a break by NOT speaking about Honda). I also wouldn't pay $23,000 for ANY Mitsu..not even if Jesus built it--and Mary was the saleswoman!!!!
  • Didn't Jesus build the Pope Mobile, 0-60 in 20secs.?? The reason why we talk about the GTS is because it's a great performing car in an age where almost everyone is looking for that car that they can call "fast and furious" In there own mind. All the automakers are focusing on performance even in the family car segment. The ES and LS Galants do not come with a sport tuned suspension, clear tail lenses, and those 17" tires. When I placed an order for a GTS back on Dec. 23 it was only about $1000-1500 more than a LS with diamond pkg and all the other goodies. So why not upgrade. The only reason why I chose the GTS over the LS is because of the look of the GTS. Even with Honda I would not have purchased anything other than a V6 EX top of the line, same with Altima I Would have purchased a 3.5SE. Those cars did not appeal to me at all even if 400,000 are sold, that means nothin' to me. Most Camry's I see on the road are LE's and probably 4cyl. The SE does not differentiate itself that much from a LE or XLE. The SE being the sporty one and the XLE being the luxury one, they both look pretty much the same. The GTS differentiates itself from it's siblings in a major way on the exterior. Honda DX, LX, EX all look the same pretty much. I'm still trying to figure out why sales of these cars are so important to some. I do not care if they discontinue the GTS tomorrow, I am happy guy driving a wonderfully built car and a car that can perform with any in it's class and maybe even out perform them and keep in mind it is the heaviest of the bunch. I guess that 250 tourqe and sport suspension makes a difference. Things like leather on the door, folding rear seat, and how many are on the road do not concern me one bit. Not every car was meant to sell 400k units per year and I'm fine with that.
  • n6547tn6547t Posts: 7
    I have had 3 D's 1993, 1997, and 2000. We just turned in the 2000 for an 04 GTS. The build quality on the GTS is much better than on any of the D's. I have a gut feeling that there is a lot of difference between the GTS and other Galants in terms of looks and performance - have not driven other models of the Galant. I also bought a Toyota LE for my mother the day after we took delivery of the GTS. I feel that it is a fine car but has absolutely no personalty. It dose everything well but is dull. I would agree that there is no reason to spend the money for the XLS. When I see Camrys on the road I can not tell one model from another. At least the GTS stands out from all the other Asian cars.

As to the GTS vs D's build quality. I have found nothing wrong with the GTS (the Toyota speedometer is off by 3 miles per hour at 60mph)
    as delivered. I also find the seats more comfortable than the D's and the heated seats are much better in coverage. The GTS is not as quiet and rides stiffer but handles soooo much better. We live in the Boston area and have property in Vermont which is a 4 hour ride away. We have not had a chance to make this trip yet but I am looking forward to it already. In the D's I was always happy to get their. to me the mark of a really good car is one that you can drive 4 to 6 hours and when you get to your destination you look for a reason to get back in and drive some more.