Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• I just finished a 1500 mile trip in my 99 Galant V6 and I averaged an amazing 32 mpg on the highway with the air conditioning on.

I also get around 21-22 mpg in the city and use mid-range gas (89 octane). It has a modest efect on performance (not as much of a hot rod) but no real negatives otherwise.

I have driven the 4 and found the performance to be fine and the engine seemed quiter than my V6. As for resale, my lease is up in a couple of months and I plan on buying the car off lease. I've been very pleased with the performance, looks and reliability. I've done a little price checking on line and I believe the V6 does hold its value better. That won't help me I guess trying to negotiate a cheaper buy with Mitsubishi Leasing. Still I've read that leasing companys have been taking a bath on off lease cars so I'm hoping to get a buy below the residual ($10,500).

As for choosing between a 4 and a V6 I think they are both excellent choices from performance and economy perspectives. So whichever floats your boat.
  • bbf65bbf65 Posts: 29
    aside from the obvious power differences between the two engines, the V-6 also has quicker steering and comes standard with 16 inch tires.
    i drive a V-6 and a close friend of mine drives the 4 which i also get to drive quite often.
    i love the power and smoothness of the 6.
    the 4 has plenty of get-go acceleration but seems to lose some steam at higher speeds.
    both engines are quiet and have proven to be reliable and dependable.
    the 4 gets better fuel economy and does not require premium fuel.
    hope this helps.
  • bbf65bbf65 Posts: 29
    also, i didn't notice any difference in the cooling power of the AC between the 4 and 6.
    as far as passing power and merging on the highways, both do a fine job.
    the 6 just seems smoother.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    EPA estimates that the 4 gets exactly 1 mpg more than the 6 for both city & highway driving, so the fuel consumption penalty for the 6 is pretty trivial. Bigger differences will more than likely exist based on how much lead is in your right foot.

My 99 LS V6 with 65K miles still runs pretty much like new. With a K&N air filter, I average about 24-25mpg in mixed city/highway driving. Closer to 22 in pure city & closer to 27-28 for pure highway. I have gotten over 30mpg, but rarely. I always use premium fuel.

Mileage drops by about 2 to 3 mpg during our lovely Chicagoland winters.

Running the AC doesn't seem to drag the engine very much or significantly impact the mileage that I've been getting.

Overall I'm very pleased with the car and have few gripes, most of which are minor.
  • I have just discovered a rather unpleasant detail about warranty repairs. I have a 2001 Galant, which was in a minor accident some time ago. A headlight had to be replaced. Recently I noticed that the beams were not aligned right, and asked the dealer to fix it during a regular maintenance visit. They charged me for the beam alignment, but nothing was fixed. The next time I was there and pointed this out to them, they told me that, since the car had been repaired by another shop, they would not touch those parts, because they were not responsible for somebody else's bad job. My argument that the malfunction was inside the headlight assembly, which is a Mitsu defect, left them unmoved. Naturally frustrated, I called the Mitsu customer service for explanation. To my surprise, they confirmed that the dealer would not touch a part repaired or replaced by another shop, EVEN IF IT'S ANOTHER MITSU DEALER, and that I would have to go to the mechanic who had performed the job. This leaves me with a question about long trips or moving to another part of the country... Any reactions?
    (P.S. I fixed the headlight myself by adjusting a defective reflecting lamp cap which screwed up the beams. Needless to say, the dealer lost a customer for charging for a fake job).
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Actually, that sounds about right regardless of manufacturer. They aren't going to cover parts that were not a part of a warranty repair or came new with the vehicle. The body shop replaced the light and that's who would be responsible for it technically speaking. If you had a warranty repair and then the part failed again, any Mitsu dealer would fix it. They charged you for aligning the headlights which is not a warranty item anyway and is something any compentant shop would have done after a replacement. The other question is, did the original shop replace the lens with a factory part or did they buy aftermarket or salvage yard? If it wasn't for sure a factory part, even a mechanical failure would not be covered by the Mitsu warranty.

I'd have to wonder why the reflecting lamp was wrong to begin with if it was a factory new part. It probably was not the reflector that was wrong, but how the front-end of the car was "fixed". If a headlight gets hit hard enough to break, it's quite possible the mounts aren't in the factory spec positions which would make it appear the headlight was aimed wrong.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I agree with the above statement. How could you possibly expect Mitsubishi to cover a headlight that was replaced by a body shop after the original was destroyed due to your accident? Headlight reaiming is not covered under warranty if an accident was involved. So the dealer did the right thing in charging you. It's amazing what people expect of their warranties.
    By the way, headlight aim is covered by warranty only for 1 year or 12k miles. This is considered an adjustment. So even if the headlight had not been destroyed in the accident, the dealer still should have charged you to re-aim them. But if the headlights were still off after the re-aiming, a good dealer would fix their mistake no charge.
  • I purchased a 1999 ES Galant V6 and are experiencing a shake in the steering wheel at between 65 and 75 MPH. Is anyone else having this problem? I have rotated, balanced and re-balanced the tires and nothing works !
  • Been having problems with my 99 Galant sunroof since purchase... About every 6 months it makes a clicking and snap sound at the opening and closing point.. The sunroof did not come with car I guess the dealership installed it so my question is even if my warranty has expired is this a lifetime guarantee with the dealer in NYC at 50th st and 11th ave. where car was purchased..
    You could call them and ask, they'd probably know better than anyone. Usually, aftermarket parts aren't covered for more more than a year.
  • Thanks to everybody who responded to the warranty question. I think I did not make some things clear in the first place: the new headlight was an original factory item; the misalignment was not a result of incorrect installation, but was caused by a bad reflector inside the assembly, and could not be fixed by the normal alignment of the lens (to be more specific, while the low beam was OK, the high beam aimed down, and there is no separate alignment for them, only for the entire assembly). So, what I needed was a fix to an internal lens problem, not the mounting or alignment. That problem came with the new Mitsu lens, which had a warranty, and I did honestly expect the dealer to fix or replace it. If the rules do not let them, fine.

My worry is, as I said, the potential problem in a hypothetical situation when one authorized dealer makes a warranty repair, and the other refuses to revisit it if the part or labor fail (that's what the cust. service told me).
    The customer service rep was correct partially. If a part fails due to improper installation or sloppy work, it is the responsibility of the dealer that messed it up to fix the problem. This makes sense because how do they know you weren't responsible for replacing the part improperly and breaking it? However, if the part fails due to a manufacturer defect, any dealer is required to honor the warranty and replace the faulty part. So, the warranty can be denied by one dealer for bad labor at another dealer, but they cannot deny warranty work for a bad part that was replaced under warranty by another dealer. If warranty work is denied due to the former, you have to get in touch with the manufacturer and get reimbursed for the repair.

Here's an example: Someone in the Hyundai Elantra forum went to a dealer while on vacation to get his oil changed. The mechanic notified him that the last person who changed his oil (the dealer in his hometown) stripped the oil pan threads and the pan would need to be replaced in order to put the drain plug back in. The dealer refused to warranty the oil pan since they didn't damage it and charged him $400. He took the situation up with Hyundai, who agreed it was covered under warranty and reimbursed him for the repair cost.
  • lngtonge18, thanks for in-depth reply. In other words, authorized dealers are not part of the company, and should be treated as contractors, not representatives, right? Somehow the idea of a blanket coverage on parts and labor seems logical, still.

The above Hyundai example is a good test: did the company take responsibility for the bad labor (stripping the thread), or for a bad part (oil pan, which was originally OK) as a good gesture? It is a question of principle, because it shows to where the company vs. dealer responsibility extends. I wonder if different manufacturers have different arrangements with their dealers in this regard.
    I believe Hyundai reimbursed him based on bad labor on the part of the dealer. Since he took the car to an authorized dealer to have an oil change done, Hyundai was required to warranty the work of its "factory" technicians since the car was under factory warranty. Now, had the car been out of warranty, the dealer would have been responsible and probably would have fixed it if it was proven to be their fault. Conversely, had a quick oil lube place done the damage while under factory warranty, than Hyundai probably would have replaced it as a good will gesture.

You are correct in saying that the dealer is not part of the company. They are separate entities with contracts to sell specific models.
  • Does anyone know the 1-800# you call for Roadside Assistance in case you get a flat tire or something of that nature?
    I've been looking thru the Owners Manual and it's not there.

Thanks.
  • The # is 1800-800-6868
  • Hello, all. I own a 2000 Galant ES (4cyl). So far, the car has been very reliable, and I've put over 30000 miles on it since I bought it. One thing I have noticed is the lack of aftermarket parts for this car. The only things I have found for the current Galant are springs (which are actually for the V6 model). Has ANYONE had better luck than this? I am interested in larger brake rotors, suspension mods, clear corner lenses, etc. Is it possible to order JDM parts from a distributor here in the U.S.?
    www.thegalantcenter.com

more mods than you can imagine
  • I am replacing my galant factory speakers in the rear 6x9 size
    wondering how to remove top part to get to speaker in the back seat area
    thx