Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    According to the 2004 Mitsubishi Galant brochure I got at the Charlotte International Autoshow today, the galant offers front seat mounted side airbags. I don't see curtains.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Mitsubishi has made some major mistakes in their 04 Galant. Car and Driver tested the four cylinder ES model in their latest issue and didn't have many nice things to say about it.

First off, the Galant is one heavy car! The ES model fitted with a sunroof, ABS, and side airbags tipped the scales at almost 3500 pounds! That's heavier than the Toyota Avalon by a few pounds and 300 pounds more than the Camry. The hefty weight pretty much offsets any gains made by the much improved four cylinder. I'm disappointed Mitsu would allow this car to become so overweight and bloated. It's nice the car is roomier but not if it had to come at the expense of so much weight.

The second big mistake is there is no fold down rear seat, only a pass through. Although this allowed Mitsu to design a super stiff structure, this is a compromise that should not have been made on a family sedan.

Lastly, Mitsu has apparently done a lot of cost cutting in the interior. This is an area where cost cutting will show the most. Didn't Mitsu learn anything from Mazda's decontented 626??

I'm quite disappointed in Mitsu's effort on this car. It looks like it came out half baked and is trying to be too much like the Accord and Camry.
  • Did you see those braking distances in the C&D article? 198 feet with ABS?
    Yea, the braking performance was a bit below average but not horrible. I've seen Hondas take that long with ABS. It's better than my Lancer, that's for sure.
  • The only Hondas I see that come anywhere near 198ft are their SUV's and a Civic LX with disc/drum and no ABS. You would expect better from a car with ABS and 4-wheel disc brakes. The lines on the chart on page 70 tell the story. Against it's competitors it's at least 12-15ft longer.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The last Accord 4-door V6 that Car and Driver tested required a HUGE 209 feet to stop from 70, so you may want to check your facts. (Reference page 124 of this month's Car and Driver, the Camry Long Term review).

Most people don't understand that braking has A LOT to do with tire adhesion levels, and tires become generally more grippy as they wear in. Witness, again, the long term Camry test, in which the Camry SE V6 required a marginal 190ft. from 70 when new, and an EXCELLENT 173ft from 70MPH after 40,000 miles. Tire choice itself lends significantly to braking distances as well, with better quality, more performance oriented all-seasons typically offering better capability.

~alpha
    Actually, the Accord sedan V6 has much worse braking figures. Check out the Chevy Malibu article on page 85 (decided to ignore that one eh?). The Accord V6 took 209 ft to stop from 70 mph. The Malibu took 203ft, the Chrysler Sebring 198, and the Camry V6 took 191 ft. Seeing as how all these cars are more comparable in weight to the Galant, they would be better matched in a comparison. When you look at those braking figures, the Galant isn't half bad and is actually quite competitive. Hmm....what happened to your Honda's class leading performance? Guess you just haven't read half the articles about them or just chose to tell yourself they were anomalies :)
  • Strange that they show the braking for the EX 4 cylinder to be around 184 feet, the EX V6 coupe to be 181 feet, and the LX V6 to be 209 feet. So one of those test results was an anomaly. Considering that there are 2/3 tests showing the Accord to be around 180-ish it seems that something happened when they tested the LX V6. All three have 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS.

And I'm not the one who even mentioned Honda in here. I said that 209 feet seemed long for a 4 cylinder sedan with ABS/4-wheel disc. And my results came from looking at a summary of all of the road tests also known as their Road Test Digest.
    I can't wait for the new Galant to come out. I saw it at the Charlotte Autoshow, and I really like the style and the interior. Shocked me actually. Mitsubishi is coming along well I believe. Just hope everything works out with this new Galant because it is definately more roomy than the old model.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    "So one of those test results was an anomaly. Considering that there are 2/3 tests showing the Accord to be around 180-ish it seems that something happened when they tested the LX V6. All three have 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS."

You can't conclude its an anamoly based on the information you have. The 4 cylinder Accord weighs significantly less than the V6, which would likely mean shorter stopping distances given the same brake size/ABS control/tires. The Accord coupe wears grippier 17inch tires. Its very likely that the Accord EX V6/LX V6 sedan models--which wear the same size rubber and have the same brake setup--- do indeed require 209ft. from 60.

In anycase, the 198ft. Galant stop isnt great, but its not terrible.

The car overall, however, looks to pale in comparison with other vehicles in this class.

~alpha
  • I'd like to add a comment on this topic: 1999 V6 Galant regarding the brakes - just like to ask if the rotors were covered by warranty?? Am driving a 2002-03 ES Galant 4 cyl. and my front right brakes squeeks at low speed and it's still under 30K mileage. I bought this 3 mths. ago at 25K mileage but it runs fast at 115 mph. I only have concerns on the brakes if this will last bec. I have lots of negative feedbacks on the brakes.

Also, I'd like to ask the guy who saw the 2004 Galant - is it worth buying this model?? How much will it be for an LS or ES models, how much is the price difference between the two? I learned that some additonal features will cost a lot more!!!! Am really planning to trade in my 2002-03 model for this 2004 Galant if the ratings are good!!! I only seen it at diff. websites and it looks great, the tail looks a Sebring Chrysler!!! Not bad but want to confirm if the interiors are good enough to compete w/ the Camrys and Hondas!!! I Am really an avid fan of Mits. during the 70's and it's about time to regain the confidence & be a leader again among its competitors!!!Pls. give me some feedbacks again!! I can;t wait to see the '04 model here in Southern CA.
    I truly believe that the new Galant is a full step above the current model. That I am sure of.

However, I don't think it is any better, but maybe slightly below the Accord and Camry.

The interior is much better now than the previous model. The materials are nicer, but not as good as the Accord or Camry. Nobody even touches VW for interior mateirals, not even Honda or Toyota.

The car is extremely roomy IMO. I am not tall, but I am a big guy (weight wise). I had a good amount of room in the car, and it felt larger than the Accord or Mazda6.

As far as pricing goes, I am not sure yet. But I remember the sales rep saying the Galant LS would compete with the Accord LX and EX. The Galant LS is bascially the same as last years ESV6. However, you can add options to make is similar to last year's LSV6 model. You can't get climate control for any model except the GTS. The sales rep expects the price to be around that of the Accord LXV6 and when fully loaded, about the price of the Accord EXV6.

The car should be out in a little under a month, so get ready. It is nice, much nicer than the previous model. But as far as it beating the Accord or Camry, I cannot say. One thing for sure, it has power 3.8L 230 hp and roominess, and the interior has better materials than any domestic sedan I have seen in the class. It even beats the Altima (That ain't saying much really)
  • I just read Auto 123.com for the 2004 Galant Road Test which has a 100% positive feedbacks on this new model. "hanep" in Tagalog!!!! In english means - "Wow" man!!!!! Another positive review is in charleston.net saying the '04 Galant's interior beats it's rivals!!!!!!

I can't wait to see it!!!! Thanks.
  • But they tested an EX V6 coupe in 181 feet. Maybe it's due to the higher performance tires.
  • What's EX V6 coupe in 181 feet your saying man???
    Galant has only 4 trims, DE, ES,which have the 2.4 L 160 hp 4 cyl. and the LS & GTS - V6 3.8L 230 hp.!!!
  • marcinmarcin Posts: 64
    got my notice today! just 2 weeks after i've completely redone my brakes, for the 3rd time at least, +97k mi, the pulsation returned. now with this clas action i might get it finally fixed. well, if there is a solution. but the worst part is that i don't have records from a dealer showing the pulsation problem since day one. that's because it was all verbal - "it's not covered under warranty, nothing wrong, it's normal..."

since the language in the letter is very confusing, maybe one of the board members can help us out here for the non-law speakers :-)
    (hi lawman1967 ? :-)
  • Hallo everyone!
    I just returned from the shop, where I had my break rotors resurfaced, because I felt some pulsations on my steering wheel!
    The history:
    I got the car ….2002 Galant ES, from CARMAX (with 125 point inspection, as advertised!!!), 3 months ago. The car had 17 K miles on the clock.
    I didn’t know there were pulsations until a week ago; when I needed to drive the car for a day…..my wife usually drives it!
    Went to Carmax immediately, arranged an appointment and there we were….the rotors were warped and needed resurfacing, that came up to 90 dollars!
    On my question why the warranty doesn’t cover that…the answer was ”this is a normal wear and tear”, and the technician told me that theoretically I might be with warped rotors on the very same day…..especially if I use the breaks hard and immediately after that I take the car…to a carwash!!!!
    On my next question….what I was supposed to do….when it rains…..he didn’t answer anything!!!
    Please if anyone has any idea about this case (I have an invoice, stating that the pulsations are there and the rotors need to be done)….it would be highly appreciated! My concern is that I would eventually get these rotors warped again…and again…and so on……in fact we are driving much more carefully now….because we don’t want to go back to the shop!
    The other thing is that we might have bought the car with warped rotors, … so please be aware of CARMAX’s 125 point inspection….isn’t that good! I mean…my wife drove the car for 3 months and 1K miles…and we got warped rotors!!!
    Thanks for your time, guys!
    Everytime the rotors are resurfaced, you stand a higher chance of running into warped rotors. This is because you are making the rotors thinner and thus more fragile, which leads to warpage caused by excessive heat or rapid temperature changes. Rotors in general can handle being hit by water. However, if you were using your brakes hard and got the rotors real hot and then ran through a puddle of cold rain water, there is a high chance the rotor will warp due to the sudden uneven cooling combined with the clamping forces of the calipers. Also, some Mitsus are prone to rotor warpage caused by the use of impact wrenches when putting the wheels back on. These tools either put too much pressure on the rotor or cause uneven pressures (one lug nut is tighter then the next one) which leads to warpage after about 3k.

To answer your question, yes you will probably encounter warped rotors again and it will probably be sooner then later. The best thing to do when your rotors warp is to just replace them and make sure the mechanic uses hand tools only to ensure pressure is applied equally to the lug nuts. Don't let anyone touch your wheels with an air powered impact wrench!
  • Need some advice like FAST.. I'm down to choosing a 2003 Galant OR a Maxima. I leased a 1999 Galant, and even though I had problems with the rotors at 20000 miles and the alternator went at 40000 miles, I enjoyed it. I see there is a $2500 cash incentive on the 2003 Galant BUT my head is telling me...STUPID YOU KNOW THE RE-SALE value of the Mitsus are garbage, so go with quality and choose the MAXIMA!!!!!!!
  • Galant resale is horrid, and besides, the Maxima is a much better car.