Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• ashwinirashwinir Posts: 12
    Thanks.

On a somewhat related topic: how is Mitsu doing?

As a happy 2004 Galant owner, my only concern is what if Mitsu is abandoned by it's dealership network? A nightmare Daewoo kind of scenario.

I personally think that isn't going to happen but their sales aren't picking up, are they? When i did the dollar for feature comparision against the Altima-Camry-Accord-Mazda 6, the LS could definitely hold it's ground. Sure, the interior finish isn't as great and neither is the styling (imo) but it's a solid, good car. So why aren't people buying? I rarely see a fellow Galant owner on the roads.
  • ashwinirashwinir Posts: 12
    Ing,

I've started following your advice: I now put on the handbreak before putting it in park. Since i park on a upward driveway, the car weight shifts backward..there is a definite movement of weight to the rear.
  • sean3sean3 Posts: 158
    Hi everybody just got back from an extended trip from LA back home to Chicago, we took the Galant, It has nearly 30K miles already.(there goes resale even lower) I think we got ok gas mileage going 80mph thru the plain states..in the 4cyl.overall we drove 5,000 miles in one month. Overall Galant did well, although I did notice the front tires are almost gone? they are original Yokohoma's..Galant's seem much more popular in Cali. I must have seen a million 2003's and a fair number of 04's-'05's..
    When we got back I finally looked at the owners manual, and noticed that it mentioned something about Valve ajustment's and timing belts, I thought that stuff was either in the 80K mile range, or nover, but on Galant it seems early 30K, timing belt seems early.
    Somebody mentioned the gas mileage of the MMIVEC motor, I thought the whole point of it was to achieve better MPG with similar Horse power? as compared to the non-mivec, I know it's noisier than the 2003 Galant's 4cyl..so what was Mitsu's thinking?
    I also had heard that there may be potential problem with the Tensioners and/or oil pump on the Mivec motors causing excess clatter and noise, mine has always had funny little noises from the motor.....anybody know anything about any tech bulletins on this? this may sound funny, but my sons booster seat would not come unbuckled for anything, I finally got it unbuckled and the belt assembly had a burnt smell, and some funny residue along the plastic molding...it works fine now? I use the middle one now, Is it possible something got stuck in there causing friction? Weird...
    Finally anybody know how MMNA is doing? these employee pricing deals are very tempting,,.Jeep in particular..or GMC Canyon Crew Cab...I'm scared to hear an offer on my Galant's trade especially nearing 30,000K///Any ideas, ? Sean
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    About trading in your Galant, try asking Terry (rroyce10) in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Be sure to include all the necessary information that is listed in red above the post box.
  • dmeatsdmeats Posts: 1
    Has anyone with a 2005 Galant GTS 3.8L had any issues with their Service Engine, TCS and "Slippery When Wet" idiot lights suddenly light up while driving and also lose engine power? It's happened to me 3 times and only 3200 miles. It has something to do with the "fly by wire" electronic choke system but the dealer is not repairing it.
  • usaysousayso Posts: 25
    Hi dmeats,

I have the '04 LS with V6 and I have 5000 miles on it and no problems so far...

I must admit that it doesn't perform with Unleaded gas ($2.49)...

I was mixing Premium ($2.70 a gallon) every other tank and am going back to that strategy.....

What results are the rest of you new V6 users having?

Happy Motoring!
  • artie159artie159 Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if Mitsibishi will be offering the " Family pricing " that Ford, GM and Chrysler are offering?
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Posts: 69
    1. Have not had any problems with my '04 GTS losing power or any warning lights coming on. What exactly is a "fly by wire" electronic choke system?

2. I've only put 91/93 in my car. I will not use anything less. Here on Long Island, NY I'm paying about $2.79/gallon.

3. This is not related to our topics, but I finally put a set of rims on the car. Took me a while to find a set that i liked. I went with a 17" aluminum 5 spoke TSW hyper black with almost a 1.5 inch lip. I decided to keep the 17" eagle rs-a tires that came with the car. With the tinted windows, silver car and hyper black rims it gives the car a nice look.
    Hi port....,

The Galants have cool-air induction on the V6's, nothing to do with anything really BUT then the brochure reads.. And by utilizing drive-by-wire throttle control (Electronic linkage to the Fuel injection, probably little motors acting like the linkage in most cars.... instead of the pedal mechanically linked to the fuel injection system), the Galant is able to provide instantaneous acceleration, blah, blah, blah....... So maybe,...... maybe the choke is also affected by this electronic throttle control. Guesses on my part...

I need to buy some alloy wheels for my car too... They have the ugliest wheel covers on steel wheels. They'll make great wheels for snow tires...

By the way how's your tires holding up? I can already see some wear in mine. But then again I expected that with all the power put to ground....

Happy Motoring!
  • quest5quest5 Posts: 1
    Hey
    The same thing happen to me I was in the highway when the TCL & Service Engine light came on, them I loss engine power. The car only had 800 miles the dealer had to replace the engine circuit board, they told me it was a factory defected piece. It took them about a week to replace they had to order the piece from Mitsubishi because every car has their own chip. After they made the repairs car is back to normal. Question for you have you been able to find all of the 8 speakers on the car?
  • Still looking for the 8 speakers....haven't found a yes or no or here they are answer from any Mitsu dealer or rep!! I love my car but where are they!?!?!? :cry:
  • The car has been trouble free, except for the cool blue ring of light around the fuel gauge. It does not light up, but everything else does. The tires are holding up well and I still have a bit left on the brakes and I'm up to about 33,000 miles and I've had the car for 19 months. I drive my GTS very hard, I can't help it! I'm going to use my old GTS rims in the winter as well. In a previous post of yours you said that you had a LS, I thought they came standard with alloys, or do you have to get a pkg. And the 8 speakers no one can find, When we began to talk about the 8 speakers I called MITSU and and the rep told me to contact the dealer. Even Edmunds said that there were 8 speakers in their full test. Maybe Edmunds and our host can help us out.
    How many speakers can you find? It is possible that two enclosures house two speakers each, meaning that you would see six enclosures housing a total of eight speakers.

You can use the Help link at the top of the page and go to the "Contact Us" tab to ask the editors directly - maybe they know for sure. If you go that route, be sure to let us know what you find out.
  • Thanx alot Pat I contacted the "help desk" here at Edmunds. I only count 6 speaker enclosures and none in the rear doors. Even though there may be two enclosures that house two speakers, Edmund's in their review of the car said there were one speaker in each of the four doors. Very interesting? P.S. check me out at link title
  • superg1superg1 Posts: 4
    The "check engine" light is on in my 2000 galant. I had a code scan done and it came back that the car is not getting fire to the number 4 cylinder. I changed both coil packs the spark plug wires and plugs. The problem was gone for about a week, but now the light is on and the car is hesitating again. I check the new plugs and they're all clean. What gives?
  • Hi everybody,

I just bought a repo 2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 (clean title and history) with 93,500K. Besides the normal wear and tear for a car driven so extensively, I have the SRS lights on and I need the anti theft code for the radio and CD.
    I was wondering if both problems occured when the battery surged. Did anybody else have the same problem? I would appreciate any answer that would illuminate me, since I'm new at Mitsubishi (my previous car was a Mazda 626).
    Thanks,
    MCA
  • Went to the MITSU dealer paid 88$ for the anti-theft code and SRS diagnosis...radio/CD works now, as for the SRS it turned out that the side airbags need to be replaced...I think that the light is going to stay like that for a long while.

MCA
  • I picked up my 05 LS 2 weeks ago and I am extremely happy with the car. The performance, handling and styling is exactly what I wanted.
    Well Done!

We'll be curious to learn how your car continues to perform so stick around and check back let us know what's happening..

I just bought a trunk mounted bike rack for my '04 LS....

Need to get some alloys... Maybe a subwoofer for the stereo...

Wish the dash material was smooth so easier to clean and shine.....

I really enjoy the V6 and the mpg's are staying at 23+...

Gas is getting outrageous here, $2.89 - $2.99 a gallon for premium!

Wish we had E85 out west, 104 octane at regular price....

Happy Motoring!
  • sky23213sky23213 Posts: 296
    Just make sure u keep the code at a safe place AND not forget where that place is ;) . You'll need it every time after you had to disconnect the battery.
  • Just like to ask you guys if i need to replace my timing belt & water pump upon reaching 70K to my 2002 Galant ES? Am looking my manual & it does not say when to replace it. Need some advice or suggestions to anyone. My 02 Galant is still in very top shape. Thanks.
  • 3319233192 Posts: 2
    hey, i have a 1997 mitsubishi galant and i love my car. its got a very sporty feel and USED to be reliable. but first the water pump went, then the downpipe went, then the drive shaft pulley, then the timming belt, not to mention i have to replace the horn every time i get it inspected because it wears down after 2 months. but my problem now is that i can't get it into gear. so its essentialy useless. it feels like its out of clutch fluid only its got plenty. i don't think its the clutch because if i get it into gear it drives fine. so i think it might be the master cylinder. but i don't want to take it apart or order the part without a second opinion.
    ~Eoin
  • 3319233192 Posts: 2
    i have a 97 4 cyl. and i get 23 mpg. NOT FAIR! lol
    i got a 10 inch subwoofer for it. just enough to make it sound better but not have the neighborhood hate me... mtx 10 inch fiberglass/plexiglass box. 600 watt amp. it was very easy to install. hell i got the wirering kit at wal-mart! lol
  • sky23213sky23213 Posts: 296
    As far as I know, there's no significant difference between '01 and '02ES, and the recommended timing belt repl. for the '01 is 60K. It also says " at 100K if not replaced at 60K" .I know, it's kinda hard to plop $500+ especially when the car runs great, but it's good for it. The water pump I decided to do at 120K, but the common advice is to do it when replacing the timing belt - there's no extra labor (at least shouldn't be, since the tech is already there), so u'd pay only for the part. In my case the dealer got greedy (probably trying to make up for the discount they had on the timing belt replacement) and asked for additional $285 :surprise:
    One other thing I found out regarding the timing belt replacement: After about 10K a screeching sound appeared at starting the car, especially in cold weather. According to the dealer there a need to "tighten/adjust the new belt, because it stretches" :confuse: Well, apparently they were right, because $40.00 later it was gone and so far no worries. I think those older Galants turned out to be great cars for the money ;)
  • madanmadan Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum and am currently scouting for a used Galant prefeable not very old and less than 40k miles. My plan is to use the car for 3-4 years and sell it.
    Currently the best deal i am getting on a 2002 LS Galant with 25k miles on it is 11,000$.
    TMV as well as KBB show a higher values (around $12,000).
    Could i get a better deal?..Any experience?
    I am in New Jersey if this helps.
    Try asking Terry (rroyce10) in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Be sure to include all the necessary information that is listed above the post box. Good luck - let us know how it goes.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,239
    My 99 LS rolled 105K the other day. One of the upper control arms was loose so had that repalced. Had it's second brake job. And the usual 105K oil change/misc. stuff. The dealer cleaned my K&N air filter for me, which was a nice bonus.

Unfortunately, despite being replaced at 60K, the belts (not timing) had definite wear and needed replacing. Not a problem to do, but at 120K when I replace the timing belt again, I'll have to decide if I want to replace the belts again since there'd be no labor charge. I'd hate to waste belts that should have a good 30-45K miles left, but the labor to replace them is more than the belts themselves.

I have yet to replace the water pump. Maybe at 120K.

Maybe I should do the maintenance myself. .. Nah; I'm a computer jockey, not a grease monkey. :blush:

With the 3L V6 I still manage 24-26MPG in mixed, but mostly city (Chicago burbs) driving. 26.5 with yesterday's fillup (@ $2.99 a gallon!). I consider this quite good since the car was rated 19/27 when I bought it. Also, my wife's Elantra only gets around 24 city, but I think that's partly her lead foot.

While I'd prefer the cheap gas, I find my mileage is a little better with Shell premium. Dunno if its truly worth it, but I made the decision when I bought the car back in '99 that I could stand the extra $2 per tank for premium. Add another buck for Shell vs. el cheapo. Not a big deal.

BTW, I did flirt with regular & midgrade gas some and had no real problems with using cheap gas, but the regular had a slight - but noticeable - drop in performance and mileage was a little lower.
  • I just bought my 17 year old daughter a 02 Galant at an auction. Got it at a great price. I just need advice on a rough idle, when in drive and the a/c is on or off. if it is in park or neutral it idles perfectly smooth. I have had a tune up, fuel injection cleaned, oil changed everything I could think of maintenance wise. and it still idles rough. any ideas??
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    Could be the MAF (mass airflow sensor) needs cleaned. Could be the timing belt (if it was changed) was not installed correctly. I would check the fuel pressure (could be the fuel pump.) I would get Techron (the Chevron stuff) fuel system cleaner and run it through a full tank of gas. Remember, it's a used car and was traded in for a reason....... :confuse: