Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• Hi portknoxxa

Why did the brakes need to be replaced at 38k only? Plus, if there was a problem, shouldn't it have been covered by your 5 yr/60k warranty?
  • It was just normal wear and tear on the brake pads, they also serviced the calipers and rotors.
  • Did you ever figure out the problem with your 95 Galant ...Sunroof? I have a 95 Galant ES having the same problem with the Sunroof.. the Sunroof is higher on one side then the other side.. How did you adjust it? Also, my Sunroof when it let it back or bring it in....It is loud...as if it's lacking lubrication...I tried.. wd-40 on it..but it is still loud. Any thoughts..
  • jaclazjaclaz Posts: 37
    Hi all,

Here's another PIC of the new Lancer in wolf's clothing ( Evo X). I think the new Lancer will sell in much higher numbers than currently and may well become the best seller (not the EVO) for MitSu.The Galant is the current volume leader for MitSu. I haven't seen any numbers yet on the initial sales of the new pickup the Raider. Now we wait for the new look of the Galant...

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103378

Happy Motoring!
  • Okay here's the deal, Does anyone know why a 2003 2.4L Galant would over heat. I put anti freeze into the car but this morning while driving to work it leaked it all out and the car heated up. Now here's the thing Top Radiator hose does not pull water to the radiator. Bottom does. Could it be the Thermostat. Water does not seem to leak from the water pump but it is somewhat hard to see it since the pump is on the bottom of the car..any ideas or suggestions would help thanks everyone.
  • dave82dave82 Posts: 43
    The Raider has only been out for a month, and Mitsubishi just added
    it to the Free Gas For a Year campaign. That doesn't sound too promising....
  • I live in a metropolitan area of about 400K, the local Dodge dealer finally grew tired of supporting its sister Mitsu dealership of about ten years (a Ford dealer had it before) and is no longer selling them.
    Hard to believe the Galant must soldier on for a third year with its ugly front end. Having owned two Mirages over the years, I always found Mitsu to be reliable and well-built.
    Apparently, a national recession will likely finish off this line in America. Too bad.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    In the Inland Empire of Southern California.... the Mitsu dealer has taken on KIA as an additional car line. But today's "screamer ads" made no mention of the Mitsubishi line. I don't know if there is still two car lines there or they did away with Mitsu and are only now KIA. I will drive by there in the next few days and let you know. I agree with you, there is talk of a "mild" recession next year. If so, Mitsu is history. Here in Southern California, you see VERY FEW new Galants. More of the previous generation. That says something. I believe like the big Ford Taurus change of several years ago, this change was not for the better, quite contrary it was for the worse. The Ford Taurus was the number one seller, BEFORE the redesign of was it '96 I think? Anyway... farewell Mitsubishi!!
  • dave82dave82 Posts: 43
    So have the Mitsubishi dealers in the Inland Empire stopped their newspaper adverting? This seems to be the case in Orange County. I've only seen one ad in the Los Angeles Times and Orange County Register since August, and that was for the California Auto Show in Anaheim.
    Could be....I have heard that they have less marketing dollars now than before.
  • sean3sean3 Posts: 158
    Sorry About the response time. Yes it was an '04 Galant ES. Dodge offered us 13,500 for a trade, we took a 2005 Dodge GraNd Caravan :( which I am none to impressed, not just beacuase it's a minivan, But It lacks an overall quality feel. but yes we got an awesome price on it , and really it is a nice van, I wonder what mitsubishi is doing W/out a Minivan? anyways...when we replace our other car, we will get a Eclipse 4cyl 5sp or a Gal V6. GTS.......
  • jaclazjaclaz Posts: 37
    Thanks Sean for responding to my questions concerning your trading the ES for a Grand Caravan. Hope it's trouble free and econmical to run for you. A friend had one that he ran into the ground with just under 200,000 miles on it's Mitsubishi V6 engine. The tranny failed. I think Chrysler has that problem fixed. You got a very good trade-in offer. And don't forget to consider the Galant LS next time out, they've added standard alloys and power seats since the '04 LS, unfortunately also added another $1,000 to the sticker. Hopefully it will be in new skin with a new instrument panel.

Lots of good competition coming to market with Ford's Fusion/Mercury Milan, all-new Camry next year, Hyundai's Sonata V6, speaking of which the XG 350 flagship is a very good deal right now as is sister company KIA's Amanti... So many good choices....

Happy Motoring!
  • sean3sean3 Posts: 158
    Saw some pictures Just of the front, this is what Galant should have looked like for 2004, Much smoother, nothing odd , a smooth hood, w/out the grill seperation...if you go to Autoblog.com there is quite a bit of recent positive news on Mitsubishi..they have some awesome EVO concepts, and seems the next Lancer and Outlander will be major improvements..due for 2007, Hang in there Mitsubishi :)
  • Few weeks ago I posted about Mitsu leaving my market, well....the new Saab dealer was supposedly deciding between Acura and Infiniti and wound up with Mitsubishi. Interesting...
    ."the new Saab dealer was supposedly deciding between Acura and Infiniti and wound up with Mitsubishi. Interesting..."

Both of those other two lines sell many more units than Mitsubishi. They (Mitsubishi) must of made it VERY EASY for him to carry their cars. I wouldn't count on it lasting two long....
  • blnewtblnewt Posts: 27
    We owned a jet black '2000 GTZ and it looked awesome, a lot of positive comments from strangers and if you squinted your eyes just right it had a BMW 5 series look to it. They had a great look w/ a classy grill and just went backwards a few years w/ that nutty center divider. We liked the car enough (except for the road & wind noise and the cramped back seats). Just wondering why Mitsu "fixed" what definately wasn't broken?
  • Hi, I am planning to buy a used 00-01 Galant ES. I have looked at two different cars and in both cases, when I turned on the A/C, there is a loud noise underneath the hood, coupled with a slight vibration. Does anyone encounter this, or it's just the condition of both cars were bad? Any comment is appreciated
  • Can i reprogram my keyless entry myself or does Mitsubishi have to do it? And where is the sensor located for it?
  • I just rolled 5000 miles on my 05 galant LS and so far so good. Millage has been 24.5 mpg keeping the car at 65mph. When I push it to 75-80 mph the millage goes to 19-20mpg. Those numbers are mainly hwy driving. Driving this car is a real pleasure and after a long trip the seats are very comfortable. The back seat has plenty of room for 2 adults and you don't feel closed in riding back there.
    All I have done so far is change the oil. The local dealer ( Island Mitsubishi in Lindenhurst N.Y. ) has got to be the most " I don't care " dealer I have ever delt with. If I had know how much fun it was going to be dealing with these people I would have bought my car somewhere else.
    I am extremely happy with the Galant, my wife enjoys driving it and my son is itching to get behind the wheel when he gets his license.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,251
    That clunk is most likely the compressor kicking in. My 99 has a noticeable, but not obtrusive, noise when the compressor cycles on. After 110K miles, it's never been a problem.
    Usually you can do this yourself but you need to know how. If you can't find directions online, you may have to purcahse the service manual to get the procedure.

If you're on good terms with your dealer (sales or service; service is best), ask them to do it as a favor. Maybe combine it with buying something like an oil change.
    "I just rolled 5000 miles on my 05 galant LS and so far so good. Millage has been 24.5 mpg keeping the car at 65mph. When I push it to 75-80 mph the millage goes to 19-20mpg."

At least you realize that speed equals less economy. It is really, really funny to see guys post on the SUV sites "under problems forum" that their gas mpg was lousy on a recent trip so "something must be wrong". I usually state that high speeds equals less miles and ask them how fast they were going on their recent trip. I usually get no-reply, which is a reply unto itself!
  • emageremager Posts: 2
    My 2003 Galant is stalling. Neither dealership or other mechanics cannot diagnose a problem even when the car stalls in front of them. They checked the connectors, drove it around the neighborhood, run it on a dyno for 40 hours, checked for water in gas tank - nothing... The car keeps stalling. Anybody has an opinion about this; any experience with this kind of problem? Thanks. :cry: :cry:
  • blnewtoblnewto Posts: 146
    Had that problem when we overfilled the gas tank, the sensor got wet and it caused a stall. Other than that I wouldn't know :(
    Are there any codes in the onboard computer? How are the belts/filters/alternator/battery/etc. performing?

Under what conditions does it stall? When cold or warmed up? After driving for awhile or right away? In gear, Park, or both?

Sorry for the many questions, but the answers might help us help you. Good luck!
  • emageremager Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for your reply. The car was running like a dream until we took it to a dealership for a 30K service. It started stalling right after that. May be just a coincidence - rainy weather, etc. It first stalled in the middle of the road, RPMs went very low, every single warning light on dashboard lit and the car just stopped. Dealership checked for everything they could think of checking - codes, sensors, electrical connections, etc. - they could not figure it out. They gave the car back to us saying it was OK. We made is home but stalled the next day. Since we were mad at the dealership we took the car to a Precision Tune shop next door - same story. They worked on a diagnosing the problem for 2 days but at the end we are at the square one. Should I just get rid of the car?
  • anyone get a good deal on factory ex. warranties
    My thoughts, although I'm no mechanic so take them for what they're worth. Something major in the electrical system would be my first choice, but that would tend to produce an error code or at least not be too difficult to reproduce. Second guess would be bad gas/clogged fuel filter. Perhaps some water got in the tank. The case for this would be made stronger if when it stalls the electrical system is still OK--no problems cranking the engine and/or the radio/lights/etc. work fine.
  • dave89dave89 Posts: 2
    Think I have a bad head gasket on my 96 SOHC galant. Does anybody know if you have to remove the engine to take the timing belt off.
  • To purchase the manual online is very expensive and our dealer here wants like $160.00 to do it. We had the actual transmitter tested and fitted for a new battery, and the guy tried to reprogram it and said normally the sensor is in the drivers side door. He tried to reprogram it and it didnt work. I have some collision damage and was hoping the sensor wasnt where my damage is... But thanks for the help.