Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    My Dad had a 93 Eclipse under a lease purachase. It was alright. I don't know were the 90-94 Eclipse's built in Japan and not built in Illinois? Also probably the 90-94's Eclipse's probably used less Chrysler parts than the 95-99 models. The 00-04 Eclipse's have better quality than the 95-99 ones. Also, the 95-99 base model used the Chrysler engine so when you use another component from another automaker the part may not mesh well with other components under the cars hood. We have a Chrysler in the family and there is no engine problems with the engine.

The Galant sigma and Tredia actually were ok cars. They were distinctive looing from Honda, Toyota's, Nissan's and Mazda's at that time.
  • Well, I work across the street from a dealer. At this location, he has mitsubishi, chrysler, dodge and jeep. So I have looked at a lot of cars. He tells me the endeavor has many of the same parts as the pacifica. Mostly daimler-benz. I am debating whether I need a 4x4 or not. They are also comparing galant to camry. Endeavor is all wheel drive not a true 4x4. So is the galant truly comparable to camry? Does mitsubishi have other sedans I should consider?
  • 2004 Galant is definitely quite comparable to the Camry. It also exceeds it in many ways yet it hasn't been a hit with the public yet for many reasons...

I personally hated the horrible rear visibility, questioned the quality of the interior, and the high initial price. You should also consider the slowly but surely disappearing dealer network and the expensive "timing belt/water pump/some other belt" service every 60K miles. I'm not completely positive here but I believe Camry's engine has the chain. The cost of this necessary service does add up if you drive a lot and/or keep your cars for a long time.

If you can get some nice discounts right now or wait for them to inevitably appear in a couple of months, it's definitely a nice car to consider.

The biggest plus for this car and any other 2004 Mitsubishi right now is the super-long powertrain warranty (10/100K). I considered a Diamante once but the lack of side airbags to me is unacceptable. Outlanders are nice, sell cheap, and got more HPs this year.

I'd like to check out 2004 Montero LTDs whenever they come to the States (if at all) - those things are bulletproof, though VERY thirsty, and if they can sell for ~$28K like the 2003s, I will go for one myself.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    That dealer is feeding you false info. The Endeavor and Pacifica share nothing. The Endeavor is based off the Galant platform and uses Mitsubishi engines and trannys. The Pacifica is a modified Chrysler minivan platform and uses Chrysler engines and trannys. Neither have any ties to Daimler-Benz.

As far as other Mitsu sedans, you might want to look into a Diamante, if you can find one. They are quite scarce (only 10k sold a year, which leads to exclusivity and is one of the attractions of the car). The Diamante is more a traditional luxury car whereas the Galant is a sporty car. Rebates on the 03 models was 4k, which brings a 29k fully equipped car down to 25k without even haggling. It's definitely a nice riding, quiet, powerful car, but is a completely different flavor from the Galant.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    New Diamantes can be had as low as 18k utilizing customer loyalty discounts.

Galant is attractive as its larger, has full frame windows, and more room and power.

The Diamante is a nice alternative to the domestic midsizers and for those who want a car like A Camry Accord but don't want one specifically.

But its way dated.....it is what it is. I get compliments on my Diamante as being nice and elegant even if it is a dinosaur. It comes off classier than the bottom feeder products available from others (insert largest mfr here) for the same or less money.

Galant is competitive in every way with the others out there. Styling's a bit dull and back seat don't fold but otherwise it makes a car like the Mali-fish look like bad news.
  • chitschits Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of purchasing a used galant ES with 61000 miles on it. I hope to keep this car around for a long time. Any owner of this model out there who could advise me on its dependability, or maintenace problems? Would greatly appreciate feedback. Thank you

CK
  • Are you saying the mitsubishi is better than camry? How is its traction in snow? That's one reason I'm looking at endeavor. I've been told that mitsubishis are expensive to repair. A mechanic told me, when he orders parts, mitsubishi parts are very high priced. I'm across the street from a mitsubishi, chrysler, jeep, dodge dealer. So I've seen many cars! But the mitsibishi service dept gets 85 dollars and hour in labor! So it leads me to believe he's right. Have you experienced this in your area. I'm in ny. Its snowing now. Wish I had the endeavor this morning! Tomorrow maybe not!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I finally saw the Galant vs. Camry handling commercial. Very impressive the way Mitsubishi chose to pit its sporting Galant against the luxury Camry (without its optional stability assist system, as well). Perhaps Toyota should do a Camry SE w/ stability vs Galant LS V6 and see what happens then.

Really, I lost a degree of respect for Mitsubishi, given the clear lack of parity. Show me a Camry XLE V6 vs a Galant LS V6, or show me a GTS V6 vs a Camry SE V6.

Im not saying the Camry is a sports sedan or that its right for everybody, I'm just saying the adverstising should be fair.

~alpha

PS- and what about the Altima 3.5SE, the Accord EX V6, etc. I guess the Galant wasnt up to that task, just as it seems Mitsu didnt want to risk running with the Camry SE................
  • Seems to me, camrys and altimas are you saying are better than the new galant? Worth the extra 3 to 5k?
    Take it for what its worth. I made comments regarding the advertising campaign of Mitsubishi, and the handling capabilities of several vehicles, including the Camry and Altima. I never made any comment about overall quality or execution of the vehicles. When I test drove the Galant ES 4 cyl in December, indeed, I felt it was a good vehicle but not up to the levels of the class leaders. I posted a very detailed critique at that time, and am not about to rehash my comments today.

But in answer to your question, I feel the Galant gives up a significant amount in terms of resale, safety features, efficiency, and convenience items (no folding rear seat in the family segment???!!). If you're looking for something different, the Galant is a good find. If you're looking for the best in class, I dont think this Galant is it.

~alpha

PS- the difference between the Galant GTS V6 and a Camry SE V6 with the exact same equipment (and stability control to boot!) is $1200 MSRP, not the $3000 to $5000 you cite. (Id recommend checking out the recent edmunds.com comparo if you dont believe me about pricing).
  • bbf65bbf65 Posts: 29
    i had 2 galants and a mitsu mirage.
    you can say i'm quite loyal to mitsu and that's because i saw value and i went beyond the usual reliability recommendations and i can tell you that when i had those mitsubishi's, i was truly pleased.
    the cars were solid, smooth and dead reliable.
    they're just as dependable as the other japanese nameplates.
    and they're not 1 out of every 4 cars out there.
    sure i have heard horror stories about other mitsu owners...but i have heard the same for other honda/toyota owners.
    i have friends who had problematic toyotas and hondas. (and of all other carmakes...)

i had a rental 03 camry just two days ago and my friend drives an 03 altima which i get to ride quite often too.

i can tell you that they are all in the same league.
    with camry, you get nice(er) materials inside, and that vaunted toyota reputation.
    but the drive is well, not fun, a little boring if you ask me. (isolated, numb, detached feeling -which should be perfect for some)
    and while driving that car, every third or fourth car i encountered was well, a camry - it's the best selling car after all.
    you decide if that's worth the price difference.
    and i didn't feel it was as well put together as the previous generation camry which my sister has.

the altima has the VQ V6 engine that's voted one of the best engines in the world.
    the interior however leaves a lot to be desired.
    materials and fit and finish in the interior
    were better in previous nissans.
    the ride is stiff if you get the V6.
    (what my friend has).
    it's a nice looking car though.

what the galant seems to lack is the enviable reputation for fit and finish that toyotas and hondas have. but the galant is solid nonetheless.
    i even think the materials inside the galant
    are better than that in the altima's.
    (and if you ask me which japanese car has the best interior - it would be the honda accord, but i digress).

good luck.
  • Does the Camry offer a sport tuned version like the Mitsu has with the GTS. Motor Trend had an XLE and the GTS beat it out. But all comparos are 1/2 based on personal opinion and choice. The other 1/2 performance test data which is subjective also. Another thing some of us are not that concerned with resale value. It's important but not something that I would put high on my list. critics not liking the extior, interior design of a car that is purely 100% opinion, and according to Edmunds that was were the GTS suffered, from someone's personal opinion. I would agree that the Accord is the absolute best in class, but some of us dare to be different. I don't need to have navigation, XM, and i can count on one hand the number of times I've folded down my rear seats on my last three cars: 96 Elantra, 99 Elantra, and 2002 Sonata but I was looking for a different type of car, and the GTS did it for me. I'm up to 1389 miles and having a ball driving it. Here in NY we've had snow, ice, floods, and all types of stuff and so far my GTS has done well. And one final note can you really go wrong by purchasing any of these cars: Accord EX V6, 3.5 SE, XLE, or the Mazda 6, and my fave the GTS. It's like having to choose between a M5, E55,or RS6, A matter of preference. P.S pricing is also subjective depending on where you are!
    "Does the Camry offer a sport tuned version like the Mitsu has with the GTS?"

Yes, its called the SE. Different suspension calibrations, strut tower brace, wider tires, larger discs, etc.

~alpha
  • I personally agree with you guys 100% w/ regards to Mitsus particularly on the new '04 GTS Galant!!!! As I mentioned on my previous comments, the TV Ad has a surprise ending at SEEWHATHAPPENS>COM and they'll gonna show everything, including the test by AMCI w/ the Accord (0-60 MPH & 70-0 Brake)results. I personally agree w/ bbf65 that mistus are trully reliable in terms of their engines bec. these are made in Japan and the rest are all assembled here in the US. That's why - SEE THE DIFFERENCE!!!!! WAKE UP & DRIVE!!! Also, there will be e new version of their TV Ad to be released soon!!!! So, watch for it......am just waiting until March before I purchase the new 04 GTS and going to give up my 2002 Galant ES (34K Mileage) at present and in very good condition!!! One time I challenge a Crown Victoria V8 and a V6 Lexus - piece of cake on the FW at 115 mph, Galant can handle that speed - the rest can't match me on the FW maybe their too weak to test drive their driving skills & afraid to challenge me!!!! Good luck and again I say..............VVVVVVVVRRRRRRROOOOOMMM!!!!
  • Thanks for all the input. Will have to decide whether I want an all wheel drive or not. I'm in queens ny. Any reputable dealers here? I've got one across the street. I've seen a lot go on.
  • Galant's competitors do not cost 3-5K extra - They sell for about the same price ($25K) or less and some of them have even more options included like NAV and curtain side airbags. Check carsdirect.com for updated and quite realistic pricing.

It also looks like you will really be happy with the new Subaru Legacy/Outback that was just introduced in Chicago. Maybe it's worth waiting a few months to check it out. I know I will :-)

P.S. Update on Carmax "the largest Mitsubishi dealership in the SouthEast". They sold one LS on Friday I believe (the first Galant in two weeks) - nothing during the weekend - probably too busy playing football.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I'm not sure I follow your disgust at the Mitsubishi commercial. It looks to me like Mitsu was comparing equal priced cars, which is quite fair. The Camry XLE is their most expensive model, as is the Galant GTS, and they both sticker within a few hundred dollars of each other. The GTS doesn't offer stability control, so why would they include it on the Camry? The Camry SE would have been a tad more fair as far as handling goes, but it's not their top of the line model. Maybe Mitsu felt they would be dogged for proving their more expensive car could outhandle a cheaper one. But in your case, they got dogged anyway, LOL.

p.s. A Camry SE wouldn't have made much of a difference. The car still leans heavily and is more tuned for comfort then anything else. Witness the GTS's clear advantage over the Camry SE (and even more so, the Accord) in the slalom in Edmund's own comparison test.
    I didnt say the Camry SE would outhandle the Galant GTS, all I said was that the comparison should have included either the Galant and Camry with base suspensions, or the Galant and Camry with the more sporting suspensions, not a mix and match.

Mitsubishi can try as it might to use sensational advertising to spark sales of this car. Its not going to change the fact that as an overall vehicle, it is not as well executed as the Camcords, not as agressive looking or interesting as the Altima, and not as sporting as the 6. The Galant is a nice car. But its 2004 and there are a lot of "nice" cars.

~alpha
  • I agree with you. Attacking your competition (and being a bit sleezy about it) didn't work for Gephardt nor Dean and it won't work for Galant. This tactic is outdated and misdirected.

The people that Mitsubishi said they wouldn't appeal to but they're doing it anyway through this commercial (the younger crowd) won't really look at the Camry. They'll look at the Altima or Mazda6 as possible hip alternatives and this is where Galant comes up a little bit short (marginally better braking and accelaration doesn't sell family cars).

Just stick to advertising its own fresh face and family-oriented virtues. I can't imagine a housewife or a daddy with a couple of kids getting revved up about Galant watching this crap... and it shows in sales so far 'cause that's who should be buying it... and it's sad because they could have done so much better with their very limited marketing funds :-(
  • The Galant does need more work, but its a nice car nonetheless.