Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• 03honda03honda Posts: 96
    Hi, I'm considering purchasing a 2000 LS V6, however, Consumer Reports mentions something about premium, but they don't say if it's recommended for maximum power/fuel economy results or if it's required. Can any owners shed some light? Thanks in advance!
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    In theory it's 'required'. But I occasionally run midgrade or even just 87 octane in my 99LS V6 and have noted no issues. I think I get maybe 0.5 MPG less and just a hair less power, just barely noticeable, using regular vs. premium.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    You can use 87-89 octane with no ill effects on the Galant V6. It might produce a few less horsepower and drop mileage by .5 mpg but otherwise the engine will run fine on it. My 03 Diamante recommends premium, but I always use 89. My car is rated at 17 mpg in the city and I'm consistently averaging between 19-21 in 100% stop and go. So I haven't seen any problems with using lower grade gas.
  • portknoxxaportknoxxa Posts: 69
    I personally would only use the gas reccomended in the manual only because of warranty issues that may occur. You would not want to have any problems with the car only for the dealer to say "well you used gas less than 91." So just be careful if you do use 87 or 89. The performance is secondary when you are put in a position where you are paying at least $2.39/gal. Here on Long Island, NY I've seen 91/93 for $2.52/gal. I've been avg. $2.35/gal. I am not going use anything less than 91. I purchased my GTS for the performance and why do anything to lessen it.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    In addition to my '03 ES Galant I just purchased, I have an 2001 Mazda 626 ES V/6. There is a sticker right on the fuel door stating "premium reccomended." I have own this car since almost new(purchased with 5K on it) and have always used 87 octane because the owners manual also says that is can be used with "some decrease in performance." The car now has 64K (I am in sales and do ALOT of driving) on it with no problems (other than radiator replacement) and will be handed down to teenage son. If it says you can use 87 octane it will NOT HARM YOUR MOTOR.
  • 03honda03honda Posts: 96
    Thanks...this car will be my son's, so fuel prices have to be taken into account!
  • I ran into one of the people I met at the Mitsu dealership in Philly while in AC and he told me that the reason he had his '04 LS in was intermittent noises coming from the back of the car. Mitsu replaced the muffler and he states he has been in LA LA land since. What about you GTS lovers?? Any problems? I'm not holding my breath that someone will step up and be honest......
    I'm up to 8200 miles and two scheduled services and I have no problems with my GTS. The only problems to report is that my chrome tipped exhaust needs a good cleaning, and I do not have that new car smell anymore! Other than that I am good to go.
  • That's good news, at least you stepped up. I guess the '04's I saw at the dealer for repairs had the Philly fever. BTW, portknoxxa when your GTS gets to 10,000 miles I want to be the first to put in my bid for your car--$5,000 and a free shopping spree at TJ Maxx--if its even worth that much................
    An '03 LS Galant is worth $11,130.00 (trade -in)per kbb.com w/10,000 miles on it. Even Daewoos values initially dropped then rose again after the bankruptcy was announced. And Mitsubishi isn't going anywhere any time soon!
  • Mitsu should be pushing the Eclipse more and they SHOULD NOT discontinue the Montero Sport. I feel that the "great minds" over there are missing the boat BIG TIME on these models. BTW Chuck1, how is YOUR Galant holding up????????
    I may have mentioned it was an ex-rental out of Las Vegas. I got it home and noticed the "foot rest" for the left foot was missing. Also, after two weeks and 1,000 miles (remember I am in sales and do ALOT of driving)the rear tire starting humming and I noticed it was "cupped" on the inside. A careful inspection of the rear suspension noted no-problems. It was a bad job of rotation and rebalance by Hertz. So the dealer replaced the footrest and purchased a new Bridgestone tire. All problems fixed under warranty. And I may note that the dealer from a technical standpoint did not have to replace the tire. I am on the road again and will keep you updated!
    And why should they not discontinue the Montero Sport? This truck has been around too long as it is. It's way outdated and the Endeavor has effectively replaced it. There is no need for 2 midsize SUVs, especially when Mitsu needs to concentrate on saving money. Mitsu is about to redesign the Eclipse so you should see them putting some new interest in this car.

Again, I must say your obnoxious tone is not needed in this forum. Maybe those 04's you saw at the dealer were waiting for an oil change or tire rotation. You can't infer they are their for major problems.
  • Please go back and read my postings before labeling them "obnoxious". The people at the dealership DID HAVE THEIR CARS IN FOR WARRANTY WORK BECAUSE I ASKED THEM..... I would not post or write anything that was not true. You guys are taking this stuff so serious it's scary. My experience with Mistu was not a good one; yours has been and God bless ya. But I will continue to tell it like it until EDMUNDS tells me otherwise.....................
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Well, we are here to share our experiences, thoughts and opinions about cars - not each other. Let's not turn this into a debate about personalities.

And let's also try to stick to the Galant since that is indeed the topic here...
    Obviously when your at a car dealer you are looking at all the cars they have out of curiosity. The Montero Sport is a nice little truck that all it needed was an overhaul or just to be freshened up a little. The interior was very bland and outdated almost early 90's. The exterior did not look that bad (this was an '04 or '03). But you have the Outlander and the Endeavor, and they seemed to knock the 'Sport out. The Outlander definitely caught my attention, but the only draw back was the lack of a V6 which i had to have. It would have been a little more practical for me because of the utility, but I had 99.9% made up my mind that the GTS was all me. I'm not a huge SUV/SAV fan, I prefer family-midsize sedans that have good performance. P.S. the Endeavor is a solid SUV. It seems that consumers want car based SUV's. If I'm not mistaken the Montero Sport is all truck and does not get it's platform from a car? So the Montero Sport should go. Hey nolease 1st Roy Jones get knocked out and you and I agree on something, what in the hell is going on??
  • Kudos to you sir. I will be the 1st to admit I forgot all about the Endeavor; it was my Aunt's second choice if she did not get the Montero she wanted. The Endeavor is very practical and Mitsu seemed to get this one right..........
  • budmantombudmantom Posts: 33
    This one is loaded with leather and sunroof and only 28k miles and at $11K the price seems right.

My question is has Mitsubishi resolved the smoking problem and are there any nagging problems with this model?

Thanks,

Tom
    To my knowledge, there is no smoking problem with this V6. Mitsu had weak valve guide seals on the 3.0 SOHC 12 valve motor, but the 3.0 SOHC 24 valve engine has a new head design that eliminated the problem. The only thing I would look out for is warped front rotors. The 99 models seemed to have more problems with this. Otherwise, it should be a reliable long lasting car.